Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ted Turner's son is a Republican?! Was Jane Fonda that awful of a step-mom or something?

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. — It’s not easy running for Congress in conservative South Carolina when you’re liberal media mogul Ted Turner’s kid.

Just ask his son Teddy.

He’s been trashing his dad every chance he gets to show voters of the 1st Congressional District he’s not some tree-hugging lefty — or worse yet, Jane Fonda’s son.

Turner the candidate is anti-tax, opposes same-sex marriage and questions whether global warming is real. In other words, everything his billionaire father is not.

“Yes, I’m Teddy Turner. You can’t pick your parents,” he introduced himself to a Republican gathering at Hilton Head Island recently, acknowledging up front what everyone in the room was thinking. The same day in Beaufort, Turner joked about nightmarish Thanksgiving get-togethers and called out his father for his liberal environmental views — tweaking him as a hypocrite who drives a green car only to hopscotch around the country on his CO2-spewing private plane.

“I’m like, ‘Dad, you can’t drive the Prius to the jet,” Turner said.

And in an interview with Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly, Turner joked that his father’s “take is that he owns a lot of trees so his carbon footprint is pretty limited.”

Turner says his relationship with his father is actually warm; any rancor between them is pretty much limited to politics. After his son ribbed him on Fox News, Ted Turner sent Teddy a note. “I saw your interview with Bill O’Reilly on Fox,” it read, “and I thought you did a great job! I’m really proud of you, and I hope you win. Best of luck. Love, Dad.”

Um WTF? How much money has Ted Turner spent in his life to advance causes that his son getting elected to Congress would undermine? Why would Ted Turner hope he wins? I mean this fucker created Captain Planet and his son is a global warming denier? Is this just some joke to help Stephen Colbert's sister and take off heat from the revelations that her first husband was on America's Most Wanted?

by Anonymousreply 2702/18/2013

Ted could've nipped this in the bud by telling the brat he'd be cut off. I question how liberal Ted really is if he acts like this is cute. He has too much money to genuinely give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 102/18/2013

Imagine all the money he's going to leave to this far-right turd, that's liberal? Fuck both of them.

by Anonymousreply 202/18/2013

Holy shit, what a lardass! And the hair! My god!

Anyway, he hates socialized medicine because he saw it in Soviet-era Russia.

He graduated from The Citadel (behavior problems?)

He teaches economics at a christian K-12 school with 200 students.

He's 49, a product of Daddy's first marriage.

by Anonymousreply 302/18/2013

Another white, privileged shit who never wanted for anything, never had to decide between paying the light bill or paying the hospital bill. Isn't it nice that we'll have his vast experience to guide us?

by Anonymousreply 402/18/2013

Why did he send his son to the Citadel to begin with?

Wasn't Ted really anti-war? I mean wasn't that what the Goodwill Games were all about? De-esculating the conflict with the Soviet Union?

by Anonymousreply 502/18/2013

Stupid article. Jane Fonda is not his mother. Differing politics between parents and children is not the end of the world-

by Anonymousreply 602/18/2013

So true, R4

by Anonymousreply 702/18/2013

Look Mary Sunshine, leaving billions to a right wing nut is going to negatively impact a lot of people. Ted's as bad as his brat if he does it.

by Anonymousreply 802/18/2013

Ted Turner Sr used to be a flaming conservative BEFORE Jane got hold of him. In the 1980s he wanted to buy CBS because he thought CBS News too liberally slanted on issues.

by Anonymousreply 902/18/2013

Jane Fonda is a Liberal, but also a born again Christian. Jane writes in her book that her Christianity was one of the causes of her marriage to Ted breaking up.

by Anonymousreply 1002/18/2013

He's an entitled rich boy who will never have to work for a living. Of course he's a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 1102/18/2013

R9 is full of shit.

Going back to 1979, his first political contribution was to Jimmy Carter against Reagan.

GOP: 6% ($22,500) - and most of them are being driven out of the party for being too far left.

Dems: 42% ($164,850)

Other: 52% (204K)

by Anonymousreply 1202/18/2013

what a smug, self-entitled little prick. 'you can't choose your parents'???? he grew up wanting for nothing and now he's trashing his dad and stepmother to get elected? well, I guess he'll fit right in with all the other lying turds in Congress.

by Anonymousreply 1302/18/2013

r12 Ted also gave big money to Strom Thurmond and Pat Buchanan...this was after his contribution to Carter, which I suspect was only due to Carter being a Southerner & Reagan being a Northerner.

Ted was very conservative for years. Remember how he bought up the b&w original prints of movies & colorized them? That's what gave him the money to buy & form CNN.

He's always been alligator. Don't fool yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1402/18/2013

Don't fool myself, R14?

Who the fuck cares that he was a conservative 40 years ago? If he was a conservative, then let's have more of 'em like him.

Oh yes, what a horror that he formed CNN. Look how much better it is now without him at the helm. When he ran it, CNN covered Russian Coups and the Iraq/Bosnian Wars. Now? 24hr cruise ship coverage and Casey Anthony.

He's also become an incredible humanitarian.

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2013

I used to work with Teddy and he seemed like a nice guy at the time. If I remember correctly, he has already had his inheritance. He spent it trying to take home some big sailing prize. My understanding is that there wasn't going to be anymore. When Ted let him know that there would be a Turner--Time Warner merger, Teddy asked him if his job would be safe. Ted let him know "you're toast". I remember Teddy was as worried about how he was going to pay his bills as the rest of us who got laid off. His statements now read like he knows for sure that he is out of the will.

by Anonymousreply 1602/18/2013

What did he do at CNN? The article says he's a high school economics teacher. Surely, he could have parlayed his name and resume into something better. Are you saying he was a ghost hire at his father's company?

His parents were only married for four years from '60-'64. Mom probably got sole custody. He might have been a behavior problem so she had him shipped off?

by Anonymousreply 1702/18/2013

What kind of idiot automatically blames Jane Fonda for the son of her ex-husband, who she probably was not at all involved in raising him, being a right-wing douche? A dumbfuck GOProud douchebag, that's who!

by Anonymousreply 1802/18/2013

I understand differing political views within the same family, but Teddy's target is his own father. Mocking and ridiculing him and not really an adult way to distinguish one from the other.

Ron Reagan is liberal, but he's never attacked his father like this. Brad Pitt does go after his mother to distance himself from her Tea Party views.

What is it about Republicans? They all think they are Lee Atwater: the end justifies the means.

by Anonymousreply 1902/18/2013

[quote]When Ted let him know that there would be a Turner--Time Warner merger, Teddy asked him if his job would be safe. Ted let him know "you're toast".

But Ted was toast, too, iirc

by Anonymousreply 2002/18/2013

R1, don't ever become a parent. You have no idea of what unconditional love means.

by Anonymousreply 2102/18/2013

[quote]What is it about Republicans? They all think they are Lee Atwater: the end justifies the means.

And look what happened to him.

by Anonymousreply 2202/18/2013

It's a matter of scale, r21. It's fine for people to love their dipshit Republican children, it's not fine to leave them billions in inheritance, especially when they're politically ambitious. That will negatively impact other people. It's not "loving" to only care about your own pampered, overprivileged brats.

by Anonymousreply 2302/18/2013

Ted Turner was giving money to Strom & Buchanan in the 90's - yes you're fooling yourself and it wasn't 40 years ago more like 20 and that is probably why his son is an R. His father was an R the entire time he was growing up.

by Anonymousreply 2402/18/2013

He worked in home video sales. He seemed as much a wage slave as any of us, and he did a good job, which really surprised me. I had just assumed that since his father ran the company that he wouldn't actually bother to do the work.

by Anonymousreply 2502/18/2013

Ted Turner has never, repeat NEVER, been a liberal in any meaningful sense of the term. He's like one of those chuckleheads who bases their lives on an infomercial

by Anonymousreply 2602/18/2013

If Ted Turner isn't and wasn't ever a liberal, then what the hell was he doing when he created "Captain Planet"? Was that show really a satire of liberal children's programming?

by Anonymousreply 2702/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.