Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dr. Drew

The second Mindy McCready shot her brains out, you could just see him jumping in his car and heading to the CNN studios for some camera time.

Just for the record, this is the fifth celebrity who has died following their appearance on Celebrity Rehab.

by Anonymousreply 2505/04/2013

Dr. Drew's Celebrity Rehab has a bad track record. Does Intervention on A&E have as many deaths?

by Anonymousreply 102/18/2013

I just posted this a minute ago in the second Mindy McCready thread (since the first one was inexplicably deleted), but I guess I'll just post it again, since I despise him so much that it bears repeating:

Dr. Drew is a narcissistic, fame whoring piece of shit. He knows NOTHING about how to actually treat addiction and other mental problems (that much is fucking clear), nor does he care. He's just an asshole who gets off on asserting his alleged superiority to others.

The fact that he's treated as the "celebrity authority" on all addiction related matters is a fucking joke. He has NO scruples or morals. He's Paris Hilton with a PhD and he deserves to be treated as such.

by Anonymousreply 202/18/2013

Dr Drew does not have a Phd. He has an MD - he is a physician - he graduated from medical school.

by Anonymousreply 302/18/2013

Dr. Drew stated that McCready has voluntarily admitted herself into a hospital and left early. He said she was always paranoid about what the press would write which prevented her from getting the help she needed. He said she had mental as well as addiction problems.

Oh yeah, she had recently won her kids back after a long battle in the courts.

by Anonymousreply 402/18/2013

"Access Hollywood" has Dr. Drew responding to the comparison to Dr. Kevorkian on today's episode.

by Anonymousreply 502/20/2013

r2 Thank you for posting it again. It bears repeating what a fucking tool he is.

by Anonymousreply 602/20/2013

I think Dr. Drew lives in a trailor in back of the CNN studio.

by Anonymousreply 702/20/2013

He's one of the most appalling figures on television. Mindless speculation is bad enough, but he should know better.

by Anonymousreply 802/20/2013

Of course he went on fucking "Access Hollywood" to defend himself, R5. What a discrete professional.

The way he always sprints to be in front of the cameras the second anything that can remotely be traced back to his name comes up shows very clearly what a fame whoring fraud he is. There are lots of public figures who handle being bad mouthed by the press in a much more restrained and respectable manner - because they aren't outright, abject fucking fame whores and nothing else. When the movie The Social Network came out, a lot of people were saying that Zuckerberg should have sued for defamation of character, or at least made some kind of public statement denying that the film's portrayal of him was accurate. Instead he said/did nothing, laughed the whole thing off, and came out looking golden. He handled it like a pro because it's the WORK he does that's truly important to him, not desperately trying to extract every ounce of personal glory from every situation that he possibly can. (If I sound like a raging Zuckerberg fan girl, I'm really not, but you have to admit that he handled that whole movie fiasco extremely well from a PR perspective.) Compare THAT to someone like Dr. Drew who just can't wait to personally respond every single time anyone breathes in a way that slightly sounds like his name. It just goes to show that it's himself and his own "career" as a fame whore that he truly cares about, not fucking helping anyone.

Sorry, R3 - I guess he's Paris Hilton with an MD, not a PhD. I assumed he had a PhD in psychiatry due to the field he pretends to "work" in. My main point remains completely the same though.

by Anonymousreply 902/20/2013

How many people made it through his program? Many more than have died. I bet if you check other rehab programs that aren't on TV, you will see similar results.

by Anonymousreply 1002/20/2013

The death rate of Celebrity Rehab alums is not surprising, but it looks bad because the show's on tv and known.

The relapse rate for most rehab patients runs anywhere from 50-90%, depending on circumstances. The idea that a single stint in rehab 'cures' people or solves their problem is absolutely bogus, yet the uninformed public buys it.

The death rate among addicts is very high but normally out of the public eye.

by Anonymousreply 1102/20/2013

I am by no means a Dr. Drew apologist (and do agree he's a bit of an attention ho), but think it is unfair to blame him for the deaths of celebrities who tried to rehabilitate themselves (or at least their images) via his show.

For one thing, for each of the five celebrities who died, there were three or four who really DID rehabilitate their lives and kick their addictions for real.

For another thing, *any* rehab program is going to have its unfortunate backsliders who relapse into their addictions and simply don't get better. If you're going to blame Dr. Drew, you might as well blame ALL rehab docs who have undoubtedly been unable to save EVERYONE who's been in their programs.

by Anonymousreply 1202/20/2013

r10 I bet you are right but other real rehabs don't give people 100 grand to buy more drugs.

by Anonymousreply 1302/20/2013

Dr. Drew is a vile human being. He'll use any circumstance or tragedy to get publicity. He'd exploit his own mother if it got him publicity.

by Anonymousreply 1402/20/2013

He's horrible. There's a reason he's an "expert on narcissitic personality disorder".

by Anonymousreply 1502/20/2013

I always remember what Jason from the reality series(The Hills) said. He had been in rehab numerous times before and was shocked at how crazy it got on the show. He made a statement on the show about how this doesn't happen at other rehabs or should I say, REAL rehab facilites. I'm surprised they let it air.

So, maybe these poor people should have been in REAL rehabs.

I do believe that Bob and the blonde girl with all the tattoos who had been former addicts really did care about the patients.

by Anonymousreply 1602/21/2013

I dunno

by Anonymousreply 1702/21/2013

I've hated this guy since the old Loveline show on MTV.

by Anonymousreply 1802/21/2013

Dr. Douche has blood on his hands. How many more Celebrity Rehab participants need to die on this man's watch before something is done?

by Anonymousreply 1902/21/2013

r16 I think you are right and that Shelly does care about the patients, Bob does somewhat but he goes along with Drew's misogynistic ways and drives me crazy sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 2002/21/2013

R11, please drop the act. This hideous self-publicizer is capitalizing on equally hideous celebrities with serious psychological issues in an orgy of cynical abuse under the guise of "care." He ought to be tossed out of the AMA and have his license and certifications revoked.

Saying that the "death rate" is not surprising is absurd. It IS surprising. It is catastrophic. And the unethical, non-IRB-sanctioned course is antithetical to medical responsibility.

Shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 2102/21/2013

Well said, R21! These Dr. Drew apologists are gross.

by Anonymousreply 2202/21/2013

Pinsky is done killing famous people with "Celebrity Rehab"

It's official: from here on out no more troubled celebrities will be checking into Dr. Drew Pinsky's Celebrity Rehab. During a recent interview with the Zach Sang & The Gang radio show, Dr. Drew confirmed he "doesn't have plans" to make any more seasons of the controversial VH1 reality show. His reasoning? "I'm tired of taking all the heat. It's just ridiculous."

more...

by Anonymousreply 2305/04/2013

Dr. Drew is a media whore, but I still want to suck him dry.

by Anonymousreply 2405/04/2013

He's tired of taking all the heat? How did he thing this was going to turn out? Ugh, he's disgusting. And that housemother of his, can't remember her name but she had dark hair and was overweight, a recovering addict herself, who also caused plenty of drama - has ended up on other reality shows as someone's "friend". I don't think hiring people to be in charge of a house full of addicts just because they want to be on TV is the best choice.

by Anonymousreply 2505/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.