Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tracking down a person by their cell phone number

Can this really be done? I had to give my phone number to someone and now I'm worried that he might be able to track me down.

by Anonymousreply 3002/19/2013

Maybe, OP. Reply with the number and let me see if I can.

by Anonymousreply 102/18/2013

Oh my GAWD.

by Anonymousreply 202/18/2013

Yes. It is sometimes possible to call the number and reach the person who has the phone. Isn't that the purpose?

by Anonymousreply 302/18/2013

I shouldn't be sharing this information, but one of the best ways to avoid being identified by people calling your number is to disguise your voice frequently, at least until you can ascertain that the caller is actually the person you know that they claim to be.

by Anonymousreply 402/18/2013

The calls are coming from inside your cell phone!

by Anonymousreply 502/18/2013

Usted puede cambiar su número de telefono

by Anonymousreply 602/18/2013

LOL @ R4!

by Anonymousreply 702/18/2013

Hissssss!

by Anonymousreply 802/18/2013

I doubt it. Is your number listed? Why not google your number to see if your name and address pop up? No? Then how would he find you?

by Anonymousreply 902/18/2013

Did you Google your phone number yourself to see? Try it.

by Anonymousreply 1002/18/2013

You have to acknowledge a text, with this site

by Anonymousreply 1102/18/2013

That's creepy R11

by Anonymousreply 1202/18/2013

I have the research tools to locate almost every cell phone (the non-anonymous, non by-the-minute ones).

So, yes, OP. Why don't you behave responsibly like the rest of us and use a "trick" phone with fake info. No tracking then. But turn it off and pull the battery if you're concerned about the FBI or other authorities, and only put it together and turn it on if you're using it. And don't ever call from where you live.

by Anonymousreply 1302/18/2013

R11 wouldn't the phone need to have gps?

by Anonymousreply 1402/18/2013

R13, does "non-anonymous, non by-the-minute ones" mean "not the cheap phones sold at CVS & used with pre-paid cards for a certain number of minutes"?

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2013

I think this is op, he had a bad rentboy experience and now he's afraid that the trick will identify him

by Anonymousreply 1602/18/2013

OP, do you honestly think a trick that is stupid enough to have to resort to selling his body is going to have the wherewithal to understand confusing technology that would enable him to track your cell phone? I don't think so. Stop worrying about it and enjoy your weekend.

by Anonymousreply 1702/18/2013

Exactly what R17 said. This trick couldn't even be bothered going through with the "service" he had offered, he's not exactly a go-getter. Right now he's in a laneway buying meth with your money, so don't worry about it, he has bigger fish to fry.

by Anonymousreply 1802/18/2013

I just want to find my trick, that's all!

by Anonymousreply 1902/18/2013

The local police where I live have a task force where police are constantly on the computer trying to entice and entrap people into online sex crimes. Unfortunately I responded to a craigslist ad that they had placed, and I gave them my cell phone number. When I answered the call, I could tell that the party seemed to be using a fake sounding voice, and then one of the first things he said was "what if I am a little younger than I told you?" The craiglist ad had said he was a 19 year old college student. I realized something was rotten in Denmark and said, "I don't think I want to be bothered with somebody who can't tell the truth." And the voice said "OK, then" in a normal voice, and hung up. I have been worried ever since then that these devious police have my cell phone number, and I wonder if they can get all my identity information from that.

by Anonymousreply 2002/18/2013

That's some fucked up shit R20. I don't blame you for being worried, but it sounds like you handeled it right.

I don't understand why cops have to resort to entrapment to try to get pedos.they aren't going to get any actual pedos that way are they?

by Anonymousreply 2102/18/2013

R20...do you live in San Jose California? Instead of busting crooks, rapists and gang members, the po are cracking down the gays, phone lines, Craig's list, webcam sites & small-time drug users.

by Anonymousreply 2202/18/2013

No, I live in rural Arkansas, and the closest town where the sex crimes task force is located is right across the state line in Northern Louisiana. The town is overrun with real crime, but they spend their shifts on the computers trying to entice and entrap men trying to hook up on the internet. The fact that I am rural and the small town is so redneck is the reason that it concerns me that these police posers have my cell number.

by Anonymousreply 2302/18/2013

R15, yes. Sorry to have been confusing. I was trying to find an alternative to the industry jargon to make it clearer and failed. "Pre-paid" probably is the best description of these phones, and of course if non-identifying information is used to set them up (pay cash, don't give correct info if asked when they "register" or "verify" them - and of course don't pay for additional minutes with a credit card) you're safe. Provided GPS isn't on to "locate" you - but that's a paranoid's territory because only law enforcement and the most savvy hackmen can track that way.

by Anonymousreply 2402/18/2013

I wouldn't worry about it OP since you declined...they have no reason to pursue you..just don't do it again.

by Anonymousreply 2502/18/2013

[quote]The local police where I live have a task force where police are constantly on the computer trying to entice and entrap people into online sex crimes.

The cops in our town enticed these people INTO our town from far off. One guy came from two states away. We had no problems like this in our town. Then the cops began to entice those people into our area so that they could arrest them and get publicity.

by Anonymousreply 2602/18/2013

R20 likes them young.

by Anonymousreply 2702/18/2013

Op with a court order you can get the billing address to the phone with praru carriers like verizpn AT&T etc. With secondary carriers like boost straight talk etc this is impossible.

R21 a friend of mine recently had the same hung happen. He met a guy lm Adam for Adam and was on his way to meet him when he gets that same call. In that same weird voice " well I need to tell you that I'm really just 16 " my friend said " well then officer I guess we won't be meeting" and that "normal voice" replies " thanks for playing" and hung up. He tried p call the number back but it now gives a out of service message.

by Anonymousreply 2802/18/2013

I have a 'pay as you go' mobile (cell) phone in the UK. Can they be traced?

by Anonymousreply 2902/19/2013

Get a google voice number.

by Anonymousreply 3002/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.