Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Musician/band/singer whose success you just don't get

Who would be at the top of your list?

And yes, I know we have a lot of love them or hate them divas - Madonna, Gaga, Beyonce, Janet, Adele and so on. Not really talking about the folks who have had massive record sales.

More like: How did these people get onto the Billboard charts?

by Anonymousreply 5802/20/2013

Mine would be Bush.

I know Gavin Rossdale is hot (or was) but I can't remember a single song of theirs and don't know how they became so popular.

by Anonymousreply 102/17/2013

Mumford and Sons. Their success baffles me.

by Anonymousreply 202/17/2013

Alabama Shakes!

by Anonymousreply 302/17/2013

Americans have crap taste in music, and so do the Brits. How hard is that to "get"?

by Anonymousreply 402/17/2013

Taylor Swift. I mean.

by Anonymousreply 502/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 602/17/2013

Justin Bieber, shouldn't he be over by now?

by Anonymousreply 702/17/2013

[quote]Justin Bieber, shouldn't he be over by now?

That's what I'm wondering. Same for Rihanna.

by Anonymousreply 802/17/2013

Taylor Swift. She's devoid of any real vocal talent.

by Anonymousreply 902/17/2013

Why did Gwen Stefani let Lady GaGa steal her career?

by Anonymousreply 1002/17/2013

Beyonce. She has no talent at all, her voice is very irritating. Others whose success baffles me is P!nk, One Direction, Britney Spears, Lady GaGa, Chris Brown, Kanye West, Will Smith.

by Anonymousreply 1102/17/2013

Mumford and Sons - really shitty music

Justin Bieber

Justin Timberlake - most annoying douche ever

Britney Spears

Rhianna (she only gets attention for wanting people feel sorry for her)

Jay Z - ugly arrogant dude, steals peoples music and wants to be considered cool because of it

death metal bands - the most simplistic music ever

by Anonymousreply 1202/17/2013

I don't see Britney Spears holding on much longer. A lot will depend on how well Vegas goes. I think the whole touring and concert thing isn't working for her.

I don't think she'll be able to keep up the pace in Vegas either. If she has to perform every night,even if she only puts on four or five shows a week that will be a lot.

Even if she weren't having mental problems and on meds, she would not handle it well, because she's not that talented.

I can't stand Chris Brown and I think he is a monster, but the guy is talented and he can write and produce for other performers too. I don't like him, but I understand why other people might.

Look at the Jonas Brothers. Over. They were making girls hysterical and then suddenly, nothing. I keep hoping the same thing will happen for Taylor Swift. Please.

by Anonymousreply 1302/17/2013

I agree with R3. They feel like a retread of some 70s band. And they are all pretty fugly, too.

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2013

A lot of the pop stars like RiRi, Beyonce, etc. I get because they aren't meant to be musicians. They just happen to use that industry as a vehicle to promote themselves and make money. They branch out into merchandizing (perfume, clothing, etc.) to make the serious coin once they're famous. It's all a means to an end.

The lack of talent in rock and related genres bothers me more because these people usually have talent. Now everything is fucked.

Not to be all "get off my lawn", but Mumford & Sons would have been considered a decent trad bar band when I was young (90s). They would have had some local success, but wouldn't have quit their day jobs.

by Anonymousreply 1602/18/2013

I had to flee a Barnes and Noble today because Taylor Swift was screeching on the sound system, storewide, no escape. It literally hurts my ears. Make. Her. Go. Away.

P.S. To add insult... Lena Dunham was on the cover of every magazine I looked at from Rolling Stone to Interview. with Swift as soundtrack, it was a modern day nightmare for eyes and ears.

by Anonymousreply 1702/18/2013

[quote]Britney is like the energizer bunny. She'll keep on. The naysayers have been waiting for her to fall for 6 years. It ain't happening

Oh lord, the Shitney twinks are getting upset and in defensive mode now.

by Anonymousreply 1802/18/2013

Mumford & Sons

Justin Beiber

Nicki Minaj

Puff Daddy

by Anonymousreply 1902/18/2013

Add me to the Mumford and Sons list. I agree with R17 that they'd be a band I might enjoy at a pub with the right atmosphere.

I'm hoping their success will pave the way for some really good acoustic bands, though.

by Anonymousreply 2002/18/2013

Nowadays, it would be easier to list those I do get than those I don't. Most of what's mainstream is SHIT!!!

by Anonymousreply 2102/18/2013

Rufus Wainwright is another.....

by Anonymousreply 2202/19/2013

The original ultra-connected trust fund frauds, The Strokes. Vampire Weekend. Fun. Most bands under 30 or so - the internet has created self-conscious, sound-alike, look-the-same washes of musical trend obeyers, fronted by infantilized neurasthenics. Nobody FREAKS OUT anymore! The idea of modern rock especially as a transgressive ritual currently seems distant. "Does anybody remember laughter?"

by Anonymousreply 2302/19/2013

I don't get Taylor Swift either. Her songs that I have happened to hear are lyrically awful, and her voice borders on tone-deaf. Bitch can't sing. At all. Her success is based on the fact that she basically looks like a Barbie doll and is very photogenic. That's really all it takes today.

by Anonymousreply 2402/20/2013

Nikki Minaj

Taylor Swift

Frank Ocean

by Anonymousreply 2502/20/2013

Britney is an icon, a national treasure.

Face it bitches!

20 years from now we will still be talking about her.

by Anonymousreply 2602/20/2013

I like some of the artists listed on here. I know this is shocking to some of you but people have different musical taste. I can predict that you'll name your favorite singer, musician etc and I'll think some of them are pieces of shit. C'est la vie.

by Anonymousreply 2702/20/2013

[quote]20 years from now we will still be talking about her.

Probably discussing how fat she is and all the trashy hijinks her sons Cheeto, Slurpee and Nascar get into.

by Anonymousreply 2802/20/2013

Are you guys simply listing bands you don't like, or really listing those whose success you "don't get." Seriously, that's a more interesting discussion. As much as I agree with some of these choices, for most of them I understand the dynamics that lead to success.

I mean, no matter how fondly you remember the music of some previous era, shitty, crappy, empty, unoriginal music has always been with us, so not many bands' success is really not understandable.

Not a Beyonce fan, but how can you not "get" her success?

by Anonymousreply 2902/20/2013

I thought this thread would be interesting. R1 started it off well and a few others but then people just started naming the same old people they always name. Just naming the same old people they don't like, instead of what the OP asked for. Boring.

by Anonymousreply 3002/20/2013

Rihanna. She's had about 3 good songs. The rest have been unbelievably shitty. I can't believe radio plays all of them all of the time.

by Anonymousreply 3102/20/2013

R23: I agree. For the most part, though, those bands don't last, at least on a commercial level. Does anyone give a shit about The Strokes anymore?

And there's nothing more calculated than Fun. right now.

by Anonymousreply 3202/20/2013

I really don't understand the hate for Taylor Swift, but there's always a successful artist that people will turn against, as thought rejecting her showed some sort of artistic credibility. It was Celine Dion for the previous generation, and now it's Swift. I disliked Celine, but I really do like Taylor Swift. Her newer stuff has become a little too pop oriented and disposable, but her first two cd's were fantastic. She's not the best singer, but she is a great writer. I also have many friends in common with her -- I live in Nashville, and have a friend in her band -- and she really is a well-mannered, thoughtful, considerate person. Haters are gonna hate, but you're missing out on some really good music. Just listen to "Teardrops on My Guitar" and tell me it's not a good song that anyone who has had an unrequited love can't relate to.

by Anonymousreply 3302/20/2013

U2 and Coldplay. Shitty lyrics and terrible vocals. Bono more talks than sings, and I've never understood the support for him.

by Anonymousreply 3502/20/2013

I agree with you completely, R33.

by Anonymousreply 3602/20/2013

R29 has a point - teenage girls have been keeping shitty singers in business for decades, so Taylor Swift and Bieber shouldn't be a surprise.

I'll elaborate on my pick for Mumford and Sons and why I don't get their success. Their songs have the same basic rhythm, basic chord progressions, uninspired melodies sung by an unremarkable lead singer. They are a boring band with boring songs.

The main reason reason I can come up with to account for their success when there are so many better acoustic bands is that they used the word "fuck" in Little Lion Man and people thought it was edgy that a folk band would do that.

by Anonymousreply 3702/20/2013

Clay Aiken

by Anonymousreply 3802/20/2013

I cannot understand the success of One Direction or Justin Bieber. I guess that straight teenage girls must be the easier group to market with propaganda. Teenage girls must be marketing mens dream.

by Anonymousreply 3902/20/2013

Nickleback - they are easy targets at this point. bland, dull, corporate rock.

Katy Perry - can't sing a note, average looking, can't dace. get rid of her.

Nicki Minaj - the black lady gaga. at least lady g is fun, can sing, and plays piano.

Maroon 5 - jamiroquai ripoff. levine can't sing, like, at all.

Fun. - awful manufactured pop music. too bad because they were good at one point, but their desperate clawing at the Billboard top 40 has caused their quality to drop big time. oh, the Grammys. where decent music/bands/artists go to die.

by Anonymousreply 4002/20/2013

R33, I don't "hate" Taylor. I just can't stand her music, I think she's mediocre talent, and most of all, I resent the way she's marketed. It's more like brainwashing.

She is unavoidable everywhere you go. It has been very obvious to me, that she is "manufactured." She is canned like elavator music and a steady diet of Taylor's brand of "music" warps your sensibilities.

Add to that her overall presentation, the way she infantilizes herself,and it's just too much. I watched the Grammys. She did everything she could to call attention to herself all night,trying to make it into the Taylor Swift Show.

Her organization paid a lot to get those cameras to focus on her so many times. She was embarrassing, and her circus sideshow opening was ridiculous.

What I hate most, is being called a hater because I don't like her "music" and find her ridiculous. The whole world does not love Taylor. They don't, and I admire anyone who stands up and says, " enough!" Taylor is fast food.

by Anonymousreply 4102/20/2013

[quote] Not a Beyonce fan, but how can you not "get" her success?

Yes, you get this....this has veered a bit into "bands we don't like" vs. bands where their appeal mystifies you.

Having said that, I agree with the poster who mentioned Fun/Vampire Weekend et al. They aren't horrifically bad but their songs are so generic and plasticy. I don't understand their appeal, as with Mumford and Sons, because the tunes are beyond anemic.

I loathe Katy Perry and Lady Beyonce but their stuff is catchy as fuck, so I totally GET that catchy + image = huge fandom.

by Anonymousreply 4202/20/2013

Mumford is mystifying. I checked them out to see why they are so hot right now, and I was beyond baffled. I like folk music or whatever it's called, from time to time. Now & then. I mean I wouldn't be opposed to a good tune. But they are just blah. I fell like I'm missing something. I've tried. The Shins are another group.Some of these pub bands are fine. In pubs.

by Anonymousreply 4302/20/2013

I think Mumford, Shins, Phillip Phillips, Coldplay, Adele, et al are the signs of celebrating mediocrity.

None of them are technically bad musicians, and they all show some proficiency at what they do.

But it's all calculated music, to the nth degree, with a degree of blandness so that the biggest number of people will buy it. It is the TGIFridays of music.

There's always been popular music, and everyone's enjoyed it. The thing that sucks now is that this very popular music is being fed to us as the best in the business, the gamechangers, the masterpieces. And they are not.

by Anonymousreply 4402/20/2013

Taylor Swift "manufactured"? THERE'S a comment made by someone who has no clue about her life from Berks County, PA., to Nashville, all on the strength of her mother's and her conviction.

Sure, she infantalizes herself; have you never seen "Glee", r41? It's called "appealing to one's intended demographic."

I think her lyrics are insipid, but OTOH, I can still sing "Does Your Chewing-Gum Lose Its Flavor (On The Bedpost Overnight)?".

by Anonymousreply 4502/20/2013

Record companies push certain entertainers and music genres (flavor of the year or decade). You may find them shit, but some stupid idiots like the plastic packaged garbage these record companies are selling.

by Anonymousreply 4602/20/2013

Before, record store owners would report their sales to Billboard, etc, and it was based on what they thought (or wished) they'd sold.

Once it all became computerized and they learned the truth about what sells, its been all down hill since.

by Anonymousreply 4702/20/2013

Mariah Carey. This woman has more number one songs than the Beatles. She has a good voice but her music is blah.

These crap rappers like Jay Z , Lil Wayne, Drake and Nicki Minja.

Those two Justin singers who sing faux R&B music.

Adele. All her song's sound the same. Nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 4802/20/2013

[quote] all on the strength of her mother's and her conviction.

And her father's millions.

I agree with a lot of what R44 said. Pop music has become way too homogenized, at least in North America. The same handful of producers, writers, and acts seemingly being on the radio every 10 minutes. I have nothing against manufactured pop but it's become too bland and geared towards the widest possible audience.

by Anonymousreply 4902/20/2013

r1 Seriously? Machinehead was a huge hit, it was the "song" for that Mark Wahlberg movie 'Fear' and it was played all the time. Glycerine was a good song too. I liked Bush before I even knew Gavin was hot. Listen to Machinehead and tell me that song doesn't rock.

by Anonymousreply 5002/20/2013

Here's one - Sigur Ros. I just don't get it. I'm all for ethereal. I'm all for made-up lyrics. But I'm not feeling it with these guys.

As for pop music, I agree with R49. The labels that have money to spend are all hiring the same producers. A lot of pop songs right now seem to have these undulating synth lines with weak drums. Think Calvin Harris. I'm not a fan of it.

And don't even get me started on dub step. It's dance music slowed down so white people can bob along to it.

by Anonymousreply 5102/20/2013

[quote]I don't get Taylor Swift either. Her songs that I have happened to hear are lyrically awful, and her voice borders on tone-deaf.

It's beyond just "tone-deaf." She can't carry a tune in a bucket. Her recorded songs and her live performances are all tweaked through Autotune in an attempt to put her singing in the same key as the musicians. Studio musicians don't want to work with her unless big bucks are involved.

And it's not "hate" R33 to lay out facts about someone's lack of singing ability. You hate trolls lack the intelligence to comprehend the difference between hate and dislike that is based on reality.

While some think that Taylor Swift owes thanks to her mother for her support, she owes her entire career to the person who invented Autotune.

by Anonymousreply 5202/20/2013

If any of you ever doubted even a little bit whether shills and PR hacks for various artist, or rabid fanbots read these threads check out R33/R45.

Honestly,who needs "a clue" about her life? What are you a paid pr shill or a fanbot. Oops, maybe Taylor's momager stopped by. Or her nany brother.

Her mother more than anyone is responsible for manufacturing the brand. She's completely plastic,and deliberately manufactured to appeal to a specific demographic. There isn't a single thing spontaneous or real, or naturally talented about her. Compared to Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood she's a joke.

Nashville built her from the ground up, complete with song doctors and lots of "helpers" guided by a very strong minded momager. It has paid off too. They have very determinedly shoved her down our thoats until we feel like if we don't think she's just wonderful we're wrong. Well, fuck Taylor Swift.

by Anonymousreply 5302/20/2013

Juliet Barnes

by Anonymousreply 5402/20/2013

Again, my issues with Taylor Swift have nothing to do with image, dating, manufacturing, hype... It's that her singing voice literally hurts my ears. Like a dog hearing some distant whistle.

There are local newscasters that affect me the same way. Girly pitched squealing. I can't be around it. Women, use your lower registers like the Europeans do.

by Anonymousreply 5502/20/2013

Cher => she sounds awful.

by Anonymousreply 5602/20/2013

For the many that ask about Mumford & Son here's how I remember this happening.

They are mostly a live, touring band. Their audience and popularity was mainly from word of mouth & touring. They weren't getting airplay in the US except on alternative stations.

But by the time their first album was released in the US, they'd already gone number 1 in England and Australia.

Their big break/exposure came when they were nominated for a Grammy for best new Artist in 2011. They didn't win but they did a performance with Bob Dylan. After that show, their first album Sigh No More had a huge resurgence. They were one of the artists that got a big Grammy bump that actually extended throughout the year.

During that year Adele came out and lavishly praised them & said her music was inspired by them. Mumford won the Brit Award for Album of the Year in 2011

They continued touring a lot after this including doing a Railroad Revival Tour. Their success is from being a live touring band.

by Anonymousreply 5702/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!