Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Famous Smokers Who Have Not Died From It

Peter O'Toole

by Anonymousreply 4602/18/2013

R1, if you get into your 80's after a lifetime of smoking, it means it hasn't really impacted your longevity.

by Anonymousreply 202/17/2013

James Dean

by Anonymousreply 302/17/2013

R4 = 80 years old.

by Anonymousreply 502/17/2013

You're overanalyzing it, R4. This thread was simply meant to be a counterpoint to the thread about people who died prematurely from smoking by illustrating that there are those with good genetics who have been able to smoke their whole lives like Peter O'Toole and live long lives.

by Anonymousreply 602/17/2013

R4 is just awful.

Hey R4, when you enter the house to attend a party, are people scrambling to get out the back door?

by Anonymousreply 702/17/2013

Bette Davis owns this thread.

Except for r4.

by Anonymousreply 802/17/2013

The oldest people on Earth are all smokers.

by Anonymousreply 902/17/2013

Janet Leigh.

Smoked Marlboro Reds like a chimney, but died from a disease that had nothing to do with the effects of smoking.

by Anonymousreply 1002/17/2013

Katharine Hepburn smoked like a chimney, and that crotchety old bitch almost made it to 100.

by Anonymousreply 1102/17/2013

Yes, let's live to 80, wheeze our lungs out trying to take a shit in the morning, and lets all have our stained teeth fall out of our mouths because our gums have receeded to the point invisibility.

by Anonymousreply 1202/17/2013

Peter O'Toole underwent cancer prostate surgery. Don't ask me where he put the cigars, I just don't want to know.

by Anonymousreply 1402/17/2013

What a laughably stupid thread. Are smokers so insecure that they actually want to disprove the effects that smoking has been proven to have on health?

by Anonymousreply 1502/17/2013

Exposure to Radon Gas, asbestos and industry and traffic exhaust pollution are also major causes of lung cancer. Regularly spending time outdoors around busy streets is the equivalent of smoking a pack a day.

by Anonymousreply 1602/17/2013

R15, this is a counter thread to one posted earlier. It listed known smokers who died from smoking, but many people listed died from nonsmoking causes.

by Anonymousreply 1702/17/2013

Lee Radziwill

by Anonymousreply 1802/17/2013

While not famous, my grandmother was a 3 pack a day smoker for 72 years. Made it to 90 without any major health complications. I'm not condoning smoking or anything...she just got lucky.

by Anonymousreply 1902/17/2013

Joan Didion. Allows herself 5 cigarettes per day.

by Anonymousreply 2002/17/2013

List of celebrity smokers.

by Anonymousreply 2102/17/2013

LOL, HALF of the people in R21 post DIED from lung cancer, cancer, or heart disease!!!

by Anonymousreply 2202/17/2013

How about a list of smokers, famous or otherwise, whose breath doesn't stink. Not possible, is it?

by Anonymousreply 2302/17/2013

Johnny Depp, "If I could have another mouth grafted onto my face to smoke more, I would."

by Anonymousreply 2402/17/2013

Joan Collins

Fran Lebowitz

by Anonymousreply 2502/17/2013

George Burns

by Anonymousreply 2602/17/2013

The Smoking Indonesian Baby

by Anonymousreply 2702/17/2013

There are a lot of famous smokers who just don't smoke in public.

I'll also add Vanessa Redgrave & Julie Christie.

by Anonymousreply 2802/17/2013

Joni.

by Anonymousreply 2902/17/2013

R16 = deluded smoker.

by Anonymousreply 3002/17/2013

Mine too, r19. I am a non-smoker, but my nana made it to 96. She started at 15, and had to quit at 90 when she moved into a retirement home and no-one would buy her cigarettes. She was driving until then, but they took away her licence and her fags. Poor thing. I was a kid, so I didn't realise how cruel the whole thing was.

She had my mum at 46, mind.

by Anonymousreply 3102/17/2013

Pablo Picasso 91.

by Anonymousreply 3202/17/2013

My Great Uncle died at age 90 two years ago. At the funeral home, some guy I never met muttered, "All that smoking finally caught up with him". I almost punched him in the face. What a ridiculous thing to say! At 90, guess what catches up with you? OLD AGE!

by Anonymousreply 3302/18/2013

DL icon Liza. Despite that danger-gurl shallow breathing. Long may she delight us.

by Anonymousreply 3402/18/2013

The health insurance companies I've dealt with say R16 is correct. Premiums are lower for rural smokers than for urban non-smokers.

by Anonymousreply 3502/18/2013

I know this is supposed to be about famous people, but in all seriousness - My dad.

He was a pack a day smoker since he was about 16. He died at 58. He had a bunch of random, very serious health issues throughout his entire life. At the young age of 30, he was diagnosed with stage four lymphoma and given a very grim prognosis. He beat it in a year. Cancer sneaked up on him in other forms, though - first colon cancer in his late 40s, then prostate cancer a year before he died. Obviously, his body went through hell with all the cancer treatments. He also drank like a fish. Gin martinis were his preference, and he seemed to have at least three a day, every day.

That year before he died, he was told by his doctor that his lungs were in better condition than 90% of men his age, including non smokers. I don't fucking get it, but it certainly doesn't mean he was in great health, obviously. Maybe his smoking impacted him in other negative ways, even if it didn't directly affect his lungs in any discernible way? Who the fuck knows; I'm not a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 3602/18/2013

Most of the people who get lung cancer and other supposedly smoking related dseases are not actually smokers. The main cause for mouth and throat cancers is actually herpes. Smokers tend to have risk taking personalities so at one time were more likely to get herpes. As smoking rates have dropped, the number of people getting "smoking cancers" has not dropped. Most lung cancers are caused by environmental toxins and just bad gene lottery drawings.

by Anonymousreply 3702/18/2013

Sorry to hear about your dad, r36. You hear this stuff about a lot of people who are in general ill health - "the doctor said he had the lungs of a 30-year-old", "the doctor said he had the heart of a man 40 years younger". My mother has diabetes and had blood and urine samples done recently - apparently her results were great. Yet, she still has diabetes. I wonder if medical professionals say this kind of thing to get patients' spirits up.

A relative of mine died of a heart attack the other week at age 59, a smoker who really should have lived much longer.

Regardless, smoking is detrimental to your quality of life in many ways: from the addiction factor and the inability to last for a few hours without a cigarette, to not being able to taste your meals fully, enjoy fresh air or walk up stairs. And it stinks for non-smokers who have smokers' shit blasted their way. Not to mention, the bad breath.

by Anonymousreply 3802/18/2013

Nicole Kidman

Charlize Theron

Jennifer Aniston

Laura Bush

Joseph Gordon Levitt

Bradley Cooper

Jeremy Renner

Naomi Campbell

by Anonymousreply 3902/18/2013

[quote]As for longevity (you mean "life expectance"?), a person who dies at 82 with respiratory disease or has the effects of smoking tip other problems into fatality certainly DOES have his longevity affected.

Statistically, no. At 82 they've lived nearly a decade past average life expectancy.

I'd rather live to 82 and smoke a pack a day than live to 100 (or even 90) as a non-smoker. I'd sure as hell rather that than dropping dead at 50 of a massive coronary while jogging.

by Anonymousreply 4002/18/2013

Rob James-Collier who plays Thomas the Footman on Downton Abbey is CONSTANTLY smoking on the show, yet he said in a recent interview that he is not a smoker in real life and had trouble doing it convincingly in his SEason 1 scenes. But the smokiing gestures did give him a few exra seconds to remember his lines as they came up.

by Anonymousreply 4102/18/2013

That melted down nuclear reactor in Japan that continues to spew radioactive waste into the ocean and air might make current stats moot

by Anonymousreply 4202/18/2013

DL should be ashamed of itself with this thread.

Never have I seen such misinformation in one thread in my life!

SMOKING IS DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH IN ALL SORTS OF WAYS! Lung and oral cancers, bad teeth, heart disease, emphysema, general wheezing, listlessness (when you forget to make notes of what to buy at the grocery)----and you smell like fucking shit!

by Anonymousreply 4302/18/2013

R37 is a fucking retard.

by Anonymousreply 4402/18/2013

OP, what is the point of this thread?

1)Not many people DIE from smoking but their life quality is significantly diminished as they get older.

2) Many celebrities can afford good health care to counteracts the expense of their complications.

3) Peter O'Toole is not exactly a premium example of good aging.

by Anonymousreply 4502/18/2013

r4 has a fucking good point. This is a stupid thread.

by Anonymousreply 4602/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.