Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Watching it now (for the first time)

Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor were beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 1902/18/2013

It was the Punch Bowl, the Cut Glass Punch Bowl.

Also, love me some Goober, Jack Carson, the most sympathetic character.

by Anonymousreply 102/17/2013

Taylor could be such a great actress. She understands her character and never falls back on her looks.

by Anonymousreply 202/17/2013

SKIPPAH is DAID!!!

An' Maggie the Cat is alive... ALIVE!!!

by Anonymousreply 302/17/2013

Yes, indeed.

Mr. Newman looks good wet or dry, but he's quite something in the rain scene.

by Anonymousreply 402/17/2013

r2, I've always said: she's a great actress but with an absolutely tiny range. She's often out of her depth if she's cast in the wrong part, and if she has a director who won't rein her in and will allow her to overemote (as in NIGHT WATCH or BOOM!) she can be embarrassing. But give her the right director or the right part (as in VIRGINIA WOOLF, CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF, A PLACE IN THE SUN... and surprisingly THE TAMING OF THE SHREW) and she's phenomenal

by Anonymousreply 502/17/2013

Jack Carson is so good in his scene with Dame Judith pleading for fairness with his interests. Wiping the sweat away from his brow while his wife rages all over the place. Madeline Sherwood brought the mendacity even though she claimed she didn't know what that meant.

Burl Ives never fails to move me declaring his love for his old hobo Father while holding his dad's hat.

by Anonymousreply 602/17/2013

"Also, love me some Goober, Jack Carson, the most sympathetic character."

Actually, his nickname is GOOPER.

Anyway, Newman and Taylor were gorgeous, and the rest of the cast is great. Burl Ives WAS Big Daddy. Madeleine Sherwood was exceptional as Mae and Jack Carson was quite good as Gooper. But the play was watered down for the screen (so was A Streetcar Named Desire). A lot of the cruder dialouge was left out and the ending is changed, to make it "happier."

The ending in the play is left quite ambiguous; Maggie tells Brick she is in her fertile period and that she's going to lock up his booze until he makes love to her and REALLY gets her pregnant (Maggie lied about being pregnant). Brick hears "the click" in his mind that signals tranquility and seems rather placid. It's left up to the viewer to decide whether or not Maggie can actually get him to put his penis in her vagina. In the movie Maggie and Brick retire to the bedroom where he takes her in his arms, kisses her and...well, you definitely know where this is headed. Gooper admiringly watches them head off to the bedroom while Mae huffs. It was a typical movie "happy ending"; Brick and Maggie finally get together! The happy ending kind of ruined the movie for me.

by Anonymousreply 702/17/2013

I'm Maggie the Cat!

by Anonymousreply 802/17/2013

The play had much more of a homosexual overtone towards Brick and Skipper.

by Anonymousreply 902/17/2013

Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor in this movie are the most beautiful pairing in all Hollywood. They are both just stunning. I think for both of them - this was their peak.

Imagine it being filmed as black and white.

by Anonymousreply 1002/17/2013

"You're just jealous 'cause you can't have babies."

by Anonymousreply 1102/17/2013

I love Elizabeth Taylor in "Boom!", and "Driver's Seat" for some whacky fun.

by Anonymousreply 1202/18/2013

I can never decide whether I love this or The Long Hot Summer more.

by Anonymousreply 1302/18/2013

In his TCM commentary afterward, Ben Mankiewicz said that the film was originally supposed to be in black and white; however the director and scriptwriter Richard Brooks said something like once he'd seen the violet eyes of Liz and the blue eyes of Paul, he knew it had to be in color.

I watched it this afternoon too; I love Jack Carson in everything he does, however I paid speial attention to Judith Anderson this time. WHAT an actress! Love when she says "Big Daddy ate like a P-I-G hawg!" Coming from Mrs Danvers herself, that is pure gold.

by Anonymousreply 1402/18/2013

Anybody remember Jessica Lange as Maggie the Cat?

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2013

Mike Todd was killed during the making of this movie. I think I read they expected Elizabeth to be gone for a long time while shooting was suspended, but she came back to work soon after the funeral.

by Anonymousreply 1602/18/2013

James Dean as Brick and Grace Kelly as Maggie?

Could have been interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1702/18/2013

Did Jessica gain weight for the role? She looks fuller there than in her other roles in the same era.

by Anonymousreply 1802/18/2013

Apparently, Liz stopped eating after Todd's death. That's why she looked so amazing in that white slip dress. The rest of the cast (Ives in particular, as I remember) were very concerned over her health.

by Anonymousreply 1902/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.