Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dame Maggie Smith is on 60 Minutes tonight

Is Anderson interviewing her? My mussy is wet with anticipation.

by Anonymousreply 9502/20/2013

What's the topic? America's cultural fascination with the British upper class?

by Anonymousreply 102/17/2013

I wanna know if her dead husband Robert Stephens had a big dick. He sure did have BDF in The Prime Of Miss Jean Brody.

by Anonymousreply 202/17/2013

You could ask his son, Toby Stephens, R2. He's an actor too.

by Anonymousreply 302/17/2013

She's on soon, bitches!

I doubt Toby would know, his dad died when he was a toddler, I think.

by Anonymousreply 402/17/2013

Opening question: "So, is Miss Jean Brodie past her prime?"

by Anonymousreply 502/17/2013

One of only a handful of actors to win the Oscar, Emmy and Tony Awards.

by Anonymousreply 602/17/2013

Omg!!!

by Anonymousreply 702/17/2013

And only one of five women to win Oscars in the lead and supporting actress categories.

Can you name the other four?

by Anonymousreply 802/17/2013

Maggie Smith hasn't done an interview in years...I'm dying!

by Anonymousreply 902/17/2013

Is she pushing a new line of skin care products?

by Anonymousreply 1002/17/2013

"Ya-ya-ya-you, you, you, you are a huge gay icon, you know."

by Anonymousreply 1102/17/2013

[quote]Can you name the other four?

Jessica Lange

Meryl Streep

Ingrid Bergman

Helen Hayes

by Anonymousreply 1202/17/2013

[quote] Jessica Lange, Meryl Streep, Ingrid Bergman, Helen Hayes, Maggie Smith

What a prestigious group!

by Anonymousreply 1302/17/2013

Anderson: Dame Maggie Smith, now, tell us ... Which Honey Boo Boo episode do YOU like best?

Maggie Smith, puzzled: Honey ... Boo Boo?

I bet she would have a killer expression on her face.

by Anonymousreply 1402/17/2013

Dame Maggie singing a duet with Carol Burnett

by Anonymousreply 1502/17/2013

[quote]Jessica Lange, Meryl Streep, Ingrid Bergman, Helen Hayes, Maggie Smith

The only great actresses of the last and current century.

by Anonymousreply 1602/17/2013

What would Larry King ask her (borrowing from the Carnival Cruise thread)?

by Anonymousreply 1702/17/2013

R16 Excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 1802/17/2013

Isn't it a breach of protocol for a queen to subject herself to a dame?

by Anonymousreply 1902/17/2013

did Minnelli win an Emmy for Liza with a Z? If so then she is another Tony, Oscar, Emmy winner.

by Anonymousreply 2002/17/2013

Liza is another Tony, Oscar, Emmy winner

by Anonymousreply 2102/17/2013

Such a great interview; however Steve Kroft conducting the interview was an interesting choice which worked.

by Anonymousreply 2202/17/2013

R22 did they mention her Oscar-Emmy-Tony awards?

by Anonymousreply 2302/17/2013

Dustin Hoffman appeared with Maggie towards the end of the interview.

by Anonymousreply 2402/17/2013

Looks like Maggie has signed on for Season 4 of Downton Abbey!

by Anonymousreply 2502/17/2013

Barbra Streisand has won the Oscar, Emmy, Tony and Grammy. Multiple times. And she was the top box-office draw for a decade and the top-selling female recording artist in history. Top that, Maggie.

by Anonymousreply 2602/17/2013

Barbra doesn't have a competitive Tony Award

by Anonymousreply 2702/17/2013

R26, when Maggie won her Oscars, she didn't have to share by tying with someone else - Barbra did.

by Anonymousreply 2802/17/2013

R27, She won "Star of the Decade." It doesn't get any bigger than that.

by Anonymousreply 2902/17/2013

Barbra only won the Oscar because she voted for herself.

by Anonymousreply 3002/17/2013

R29 she didn't 'win' that award. It was an honorary award.

No matter how you spin it she hasn't won a competitive Tony award, and therefore doesn't have one on her resume. Only an honorary one, and so it doesn't count.

by Anonymousreply 3102/17/2013

And you think the Dowager Countess didn't vote for herself?

by Anonymousreply 3202/17/2013

Barbra lost the Tony award twice. Once to Phyllis Newman and second to Carol Channing.

by Anonymousreply 3302/17/2013

[quote] And you think the Dowager Countess didn't vote for herself?

She wasn't a member of the Academy when she won for 'Miss Jean Brodie'

by Anonymousreply 3402/17/2013

She's pretty much the best there is. Period.

by Anonymousreply 3502/17/2013

R35 are u talking about Maggie or Babs?

by Anonymousreply 3602/17/2013

What about me bitches? I have the Emmy (MILDRED PIERCE), Grammy (Spoken Word Album, LISTEN TO THE STORYTELLER), and Oscar (THE READER). Tony is withing my grasp!!!

by Anonymousreply 3702/17/2013

Then get your buns to Broadway Katie

by Anonymousreply 3802/17/2013

The Tony for "Star of the Decade" does count. It's the highest honor ever bestowed upon a performer by the Tonys. It's never been awarded to anyone but Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 3902/17/2013

Grammys for Spoken Word albums don't count. And Rita Moreno's Grammy doesn't count, either, because it was for some silly Sesame Street album that featured many different performers who all won together.

by Anonymousreply 4002/17/2013

Back to the interview itself. I loved her dissing of the director of California Suite, Herbert Ross. He made Walter Matthau cry? What a bastard. I bet Michael Caine told Ross to go fuck himself.

by Anonymousreply 4102/17/2013

Watched the season three finale on DVD this afternoon. It's a killer. Already miss the show.

by Anonymousreply 4202/17/2013

Whoopi Goldberg has an Oscar, Grammy, Emmy and Tony award. Hardly prestigious company if she can accomplish this.

by Anonymousreply 4302/17/2013

R37 [quote]What about me bitches? I have the Emmy (MILDRED PIERCE)

Only an Emmy, bitch? I got an Oscar for the same role.

by Anonymousreply 4402/17/2013

She was so delicious in California Suite.

"Sidney! I can see your privates!"

by Anonymousreply 4502/17/2013

Anyone else see the interview?

by Anonymousreply 4602/18/2013

It made me sad when she said that "without someone in your life to share things, what is the point." I am glad they didn't air her interview on Valentine's Day. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 4702/18/2013

Yeah, her husband, a writer named Beverley Cross, was the absolute love of her life. Her first husband Robert Stephens was a drunk and a womanizer.

by Anonymousreply 4802/18/2013

As Noel Coward said: television is for appearing on, not for watching. Thats why Mags has never bothered to watch Downton Abbey.

by Anonymousreply 4902/18/2013

I'm glad she's let her face age naturally.

by Anonymousreply 5002/18/2013

[quote]Whoopi Goldberg has an Oscar, Grammy, Emmy and Tony award.

Whoopi's Oscar is for Supporting, unlike Maggie's and Barbra's.

by Anonymousreply 5102/18/2013

r16 is a conceited little fool.

by Anonymousreply 5202/18/2013

Maggie has a supporting Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 5302/18/2013

I KNOW that, R53. My point was that Maggie has a LEAD Oscar, which Whoopi does not. Therefore, Whoopi is not in the same club as Maggie and Barbra like someone above tried to suggest.

by Anonymousreply 5402/18/2013

Video Link

by Anonymousreply 5502/18/2013

I'm not surprised that she doesn't watch the show. If you pay close attention to her acting, you can see she phones it in week after week. Oftentimes, her line readings will be off in *just* such a manner to suggest that Dame Maggie really doesn't know what's happening in the scene she is acting.

And she is still, by far, the best thing about the show.

by Anonymousreply 5602/18/2013

She is amazing, genuine and no bs.

by Anonymousreply 5702/18/2013

[quote]I'm not surprised that she doesn't watch the show. If you pay close attention to her acting, you can see she phones it in week after week.

You're a bit of ass, aren't you? Dame Maggie Smith doesn't phone it in. She stated, clearly, that she, as many actors do, don't watch the work because she would be upset about the choices she made and can't do it again. She also stated that she will see it after all is said and done, and time has passed.

by Anonymousreply 5802/18/2013

"Oh Edith, don't be defeatist. It's so middle claaaahhs."

by Anonymousreply 5902/18/2013

I wasn't saying that she avoids the show out of embarrassment. I *was* saying that it is obvious that she doesn't watch the -- in the same sense that it is obvious that she only reads the portions of her script that pertain to the Dowager Countess.

Please learn to read and decipher context, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 6002/18/2013

She is simply the best- for decades one of the greatest actresses in the world- Her Jean Brodie was brilliant- I saw her on the stage in BYC in Lettuce and Lovage- one of the most memorable nights I've had at a show.

She came off as down to earth, private and a bit wary in the interview.

by Anonymousreply 6102/18/2013

her poop doesn't smell

by Anonymousreply 6202/18/2013

Oh...that Lettice....was just amazing...a night I won't forget...written for her.

by Anonymousreply 6302/18/2013

Where is that delightful Datalounge person who eats old person's excrement?

by Anonymousreply 6402/18/2013

[quote] The Tony for "Star of the Decade" does count. It's the highest honor ever bestowed upon a performer by the Tonys. It's never been awarded to anyone but Barbra.

So Politician John Lindsay also has an honorary Tony Award

Does that make him a Tony Award winning politician?

by Anonymousreply 6502/18/2013

Someone should post a thread for almost an EGOT. Maggie could definitely score a Grammy if she did spoken word, maybe her autobiography? Cher could score a Tony if she did a month of shows like Bette or Barry.

by Anonymousreply 6602/18/2013

[quote] I *was* saying that it is obvious that she doesn't watch the -- in the same sense that it is obvious that she only reads the portions of her script that pertain to the Dowager Countess.Please learn to read and decipher context, dummy.'

You don't know Maggie Smith, you have never met her or worked with her, yet you know how she approaches her work, because it's obvious to you. I stand corrected, you're not a bit of an ass, you're a whole lotta ass.

by Anonymousreply 6702/18/2013

Both Babs and Cher could score a Tony if they just invested in the right Broadway play or musical.

Look at Tamara Tunie and Whoopi Goldberg. They gave money to the right B'way show and now have a Tony award to their credit.

by Anonymousreply 6802/18/2013

[quote]The Tony for "Star of the Decade" does count.

No, it doesn't.

[quote]It's the highest honor ever bestowed upon a performer by the Tonys.

No, it's not.

[quote]It's never been awarded to anyone but Barbra.

The only one of your statements that is not false.

by Anonymousreply 6902/18/2013

[quote]Grammys for Spoken Word albums don't count.

They do.

[quote]And Rita Moreno's Grammy doesn't count, either, because it was for some silly Sesame Street album that featured many different performers who all won together.

It does.

they are competitive awards. Barbra Streisand's Tony is honorary. not competitive, so it doesn't count. When she was in actual competition for a Tony twice she lost. The honorary Tony was a meaningless bauble given out to her only to make the awards more popular. It would be as if the Oscars had given a special honorary Star of the Decade Oscar in 2010 to Daniel Radcliffe.

by Anonymousreply 7002/18/2013

Herbert Ross also had a knock-down fight with Dolly Parton during the filming of Steel Magnolias.

Ross also conspired with James Caan to throw powder in Streisand's face during the dressing room scene in Funny Lady. Caan said it wasn't planned and you can tell that Barbra was shocked initially before she began laughing.

by Anonymousreply 7102/18/2013

R47-I actually felt sorry for her children and grandchildren when she said that life was pointless w/o a partner-my mom is a widow with a really bad heart but she does all she can to stay alive because she loves her children and grandchildren so much.

by Anonymousreply 7202/18/2013

It saddened me deeply to hear Dame Maggie say she won't do theater anymore. Some of my greatest nights spent in the theater were seeing her in plays (most written expressly for her) by Alan Bennett, Edward Albee, Peter Shaffer, Tom Stoppard in New York and London. I was so hoping she'd come to Broadway one more time in SOMETHING - ANYTHING. Even that crappy play she did with Judi Dench in the West End a few years back.

I was glad to hear, however, that she made pots of money doing those Harry Potter films (her "retirement" money) so at least she can live comfortably for the rest of her life. She deserves every accolade she gets - and more.

The interview was fascinating, but Kroft made it seem like she had done very little pre-Jean Brodie. Not a mention of her brilliant classical work, esp. as Desdemona in the Olivier film of OTHELLO, or her amazing work in pre-Brodie films like THE VIPS and THE HONEY POT.

In a related story - WHET Dame Joan Plowright? She's fallen off the grid in recent years....

by Anonymousreply 7302/18/2013

It counts. Honorary or not, she earned it.

by Anonymousreply 7402/18/2013

Dear God!

The DL Awards Queens are even worse than sports fans with their stupid statistics.

It Just doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 7502/18/2013

I found her incredibly pompous and tiresome with all the "I have no idea HOW famous I am" and "I never bother to watch myself" and "I have NO interest in fame or a career" bullshit.

Yet, she pops up at awards show, does interviews, etc..

She was clearly doing her schtick during this interview and I'm not buying it. There isn't and never was an actor alive who didn't crave fame and awards.

She was a poster child of everything I find tiresome about the British.

by Anonymousreply 7602/18/2013

[quote] Yet, she pops up at awards show, does interviews, etc..

R76, you are an ass. Dame Maggie NEVER appears on awards shows (she's never accepted any of her Emmys or Oscars in person - she famously sent her friend Alice Ghostley to accept her Oscar for Jean Brodie) and NEVER does interviews, as Kroft made perfectly clear.

You're the one who is clearly tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 7702/18/2013

Maggie was at the Golden Globes a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 7902/18/2013

I'm not surprised if she does not want to do stage work; she is 78, and she has been ill. It is physically and mentally demanding work.

by Anonymousreply 8002/18/2013

[quote]Not a mention of her brilliant classical work, esp. as Desdemona in the Olivier film of OTHELLO

I believe they showed a still photo from that production.

by Anonymousreply 8102/18/2013

[quote]Is Anderson interviewing her?

That would have been awful.

by Anonymousreply 8202/18/2013

I do believe she was in the audience the night she won the Oscar for California Suite, so she did go onstage to receive one of her awards.

by Anonymousreply 8302/18/2013

[quote] It counts. Honorary or not, she earned it.

The EGOT committee does not recognize her Honorary Tony Award, and will not recognize her as being EGOT.

That is what counts.

by Anonymousreply 8402/18/2013

She was also at the Oscars when she was nominated for Gosford Park,

by Anonymousreply 8502/18/2013

Here is Maggie with her Oscar at the 79 Oscars speaking with the Press

by Anonymousreply 8602/18/2013

and Maggie accepting her Tony Award

by Anonymousreply 8702/18/2013

As much as I enjoy her, I watched an interview a long time ago she did - IIRC - with Charlie Rose. It was very disappointing because I realized she wasn't all that bright or insightful. We always assume those with a lovely British accent are smart but she clearly was not all that bright.

by Anonymousreply 8802/18/2013

There is clearly one, MAYBE two unhinged, out of control, Maggie Smith fangurls trolling this thread. And they're also British.

I'm also sick of the way U.S. media refers to these people as "DAME" this and "SIR" that.

We don't have those classes or titles here. Enough with the fucking press and media attempting to make it happen.

by Anonymousreply 8902/18/2013

Love and Pain and the Whole Damn Thing and The Prime of Miss jean Brodie are wonderful ... lifetime pass from me.

by Anonymousreply 9002/18/2013

r89, it's not the rest of the world's fault that you feel insecure about its accomplishments.

It's a sign of respect and gratitude to address people with the title they received. If you don't want to offer respect to others you should not expect to receive respect either.

by Anonymousreply 9102/18/2013

Maggie Smith in Lettuce and Lovage was the funniest night I have ever spent in the theater. She is peerless.

by Anonymousreply 9202/18/2013

R92, Maggie Smith was wonderful in Lettice and Lovage but I thought her replacement Geraldine McEwan was even better because she was a betfer casting choice for the role. You never feared for Smith's Lettice's future when she was "retired" but you did for McEwan's Lettice. Smith played Lettice as very strong-willed and McEwan played her as painfully vulnerable. I prefer Smith's Jean Brody in the film to McEwan's Jean Brody in a TV series (just out on DVD). I'd love to have seen Vanessa Redgrave play Jean Brody in the original West End production.

by Anonymousreply 9302/18/2013

Why does she look so much older than her age? It never occurred to me she is the same woman I used to see in California Suite back in the 80s when HBO used to play it over and over.

by Anonymousreply 9402/20/2013

One of her eyes looks like it's about to pop out.

by Anonymousreply 9502/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.