Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Alabama Shakes.

Holy shit. I just heard them for the first time on SNL. It made me cry and I'm looking into a trip to New Orleans to see them live. I want to know everything about them.

by Anonymousreply 14203/10/2015

You impress easily.

by Anonymousreply 102/17/2013

Call me easily impressed but wow. Her voice is insane. The second song was even better.

by Anonymousreply 202/17/2013

Can't they do something about her clothes?

by Anonymousreply 302/17/2013

They're great OP. Thanks for the clip. I might have to watch the whole show - how was the rest of it?

by Anonymousreply 402/17/2013

She's good but derivative.

by Anonymousreply 502/17/2013

Add me to the easily impressed list OP. I have been listening to them for a while and trying to promote what I think is great music Last week I wanted to post about their appearance on SNL but knew that the responses would be like [R1] and [R3]. Musical tastes on the DL run from the awful to the mediocre. I would rather have my ears cut off than listen to a single Katy Perry song. What do I know.........?

by Anonymousreply 602/17/2013

Well I like her.

She'll have a hard time in this country.

by Anonymousreply 802/17/2013

I forget to add that I absolutely have fallen in love with her and her music. It really is good.

by Anonymousreply 902/17/2013

There are such shit the official music video for Hold On has 5 million hits.

Why would she have a hard time in this country [R8]? She might have a hard time in gay country because of her dress I guess.

by Anonymousreply 1002/17/2013

You don't have to wonder do you, R10?

Video killed the radio star.

by Anonymousreply 1102/17/2013

Not a pleasant viewing experience.

I caught a close-up of the lead singer's maw, mid-moan, on SNL and had to change the channel.

by Anonymousreply 1202/17/2013

It's not just Alabama that shakes. We've had reports from Mississippi and Georgia after that appearance.

A seismic talent, yes.

by Anonymousreply 1302/17/2013

Color me impressed. Anyone have their album? Is it as good as the showing last night?

by Anonymousreply 1402/17/2013

OP, Datalounge is not the place to go to learn more about any music recorded after 1974.

by Anonymousreply 1502/17/2013

Somebody on this thread works for the label … just saying.

by Anonymousreply 1602/17/2013

I didn't say I don't like their music, R6. But come on, tent dresses?

by Anonymousreply 1702/17/2013

The people commenting on her dresses, mark my words, are all over 50.

by Anonymousreply 1802/17/2013

R16, you have no fucking idea what you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 1902/17/2013

I think you doth protest too much, R19.

How much are you getting paid for this viral marketing?

by Anonymousreply 2002/17/2013

The 'Boys and Girls' album is available on Spotify. I've been listening to them since they appeared on Letterman. Love them.

by Anonymousreply 2102/17/2013

That was awesome!!

by Anonymousreply 2202/17/2013

Where have you all been. They had three 2013 Grammy nominations. Best new artist and best rock performance for Hold On.

by Anonymousreply 2302/17/2013

She's going to give Adele a waddle for her money!

by Anonymousreply 2402/17/2013

R20, you are nowhere near as smart as you think you are.

The band was on SNL last night and played to an audience in the millions. You don't think it's possible a single DLer saw it and was impressed enough to start a thread here?

Have you even heard the band we're talking about?

by Anonymousreply 2502/17/2013

R25, That's exactly what happened. I've never been accused of being a shill and I've been here for 10 years. I've checked out of popular music and the grammy's around the time of Britney. THIS Brittany can sing the shit out of a song. I can also understand her lyrics so no, she's no Amy Winehouse. This is her real voice, not an affectation. I'm glad they didn't win Best New Artist. Has it ever been anything but a curse? Also her talent makes her attractive.

by Anonymousreply 2602/17/2013

I thought the she and the band were terrific.

by Anonymousreply 2802/17/2013

That's a woman?! I've heard the song on the radio and thought it was a guy.

by Anonymousreply 2902/17/2013

I like them. The don't sound completely original, but they're good nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 3002/17/2013

First time I've heard or saw them. At first I thought that was a guy, no, it's a girl... Wait...could be a man dressed as a girl?

Thanks for cleaning that up.

by Anonymousreply 3102/17/2013

It's Pat!

by Anonymousreply 3202/17/2013

She kind of reminds me a bit of Phoebe Snow. Not in the singing voice but in her image....very unconventional looking but then she sings and....damn!

Obviously her voice is more rough (and yes, probably what we think of as masculine) but no matter...it's AUTHENTIC. Halle-fucking-lujah!

by Anonymousreply 3302/17/2013

I really loved them too!

To the person saying someone is trying to "shill" for them you are wrong!

I also didn't think most DL'ers would get them.

It is CRAZY that the second song isn't a giant hit.

Sometimes I think it's me, when it comes to popular music. Then a band like that comes on SNL,and I know that almost everything out there is just shit. When The Shins were on I bought that as well. I adore Amy Winehouse. The lead singer isn't too interested in how she looks,because when I Googled them there were several pictures of her and the band. In each picture her weight was VERY different . I'm going to buy it. Does anyone here like Kristin Hersh,or Throwing Muses?

by Anonymousreply 3402/17/2013

R27, you really come across like an awful, joyless person.

by Anonymousreply 3502/17/2013

R27, we understand your pain and frustration. It must be humiliating to have your body covered with scabies.

by Anonymousreply 3602/17/2013

It's funny that I thought the people commenting about the lead singers clothes,weight,and appearance were under thirty's. I'm fifty-two.

by Anonymousreply 3702/17/2013

Nah, R35, he just comes across as an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 3802/17/2013

r34, yes I do like Throwing Muses. I think that Alabama Shakes sort of transcends what they did sound wise though.

A big plus is that many people seem to be receptive to a band like AS today...this was not possible years ago. In fact, The Shins were probably the first ultra accessible act of the mainstream indy nature.

by Anonymousreply 3902/17/2013

[Quote]Video killed the radio star.

Which is why popular radio is such a wasteland.

It was a good performance on SNL and ill support any talent that doesn't fit the mold. Full-figured black woman that plays guitar, wears glasses, and isn't trying to look pretty when she sings? That's realness right there, and not some of this affected Lana Del Rey bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 4002/17/2013

[R35] I'm with you! Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 4102/17/2013

My 70 year old father got me their album last year. I'd never heard of them before. She's got a great voice.

by Anonymousreply 4202/17/2013

She's a damn good guitar player too. It's probably the best a band has sounded on SNL. Seriously, their sound is legendarily bad. The audience was blown away.

by Anonymousreply 4302/17/2013

Ol' Girl could have been mistaken for Tyler Perry as Madea when she was in the audience at the Grammys. But the similarity wasn't as striking last night on SNL.

It must have just been the outfit that she wore on the Grammys that gave her that look.

by Anonymousreply 4402/17/2013

When I first saw her I thought she was a MTF tranny! Are we sure this isn't another 'unique' like on glee

by Anonymousreply 4602/17/2013

Listening to my autographed CD as I type.

by Anonymousreply 4702/17/2013

Love them. Her first bands were punk. That will tear your voice up faster than cigs or booze. I'm not zure how it's possible to hate them. The music itself reminds me of Paul Simon's Graceland album. I think they'll be huge. And whoever said "best new artist" winners are cursed is right.

by Anonymousreply 4902/17/2013

What's with pushing her tongue into her cheek? She got a big ole wad o'tabacky in there?

by Anonymousreply 5102/18/2013

I think as a vocalist she is derivative and a bit affected. She sounds a bit like a few other singers, but not as good as any that I would compare her too.

Great guitar work, good band. I like their album.

by Anonymousreply 5302/18/2013

I don't like them -- their music is too uninteresting and blues--based for my taste -- but I think they play from the heart, which makes me respect them, and makes me hope they'll do well. I don't think they have a calculated bone in their body, and I hope success doesn't change that. Every generation needs its Janis Joplin; maybe the hipsters have found theirs.

by Anonymousreply 5402/18/2013

Love them. Suffered through SNL (a better ep at least) just to see them.

by Anonymousreply 5502/18/2013

love them too and only now discovered them s=thanks to snl

by Anonymousreply 5602/18/2013

Her mouth looks really strange when she sings. I don't care if she's overweight, her mouth gave me the creeps.

by Anonymousreply 5702/18/2013

They were great - the band was extremely tight, and she can really sing. First time I'd heard of them and I'm impressed too, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5802/18/2013

Unrelated, but why was the McCready thread deleted?

It didn't seem that bad when I read/posted in it.

I think since the Google search engine came in, the webbie nukes things that the general public would see in a hot topic search.

by Anonymousreply 5902/18/2013

r54, I feel the same way. I find their music quite boring, but I can appreciate them. Does that make sense? It's just not my cup of tea (I am into stoner/doom/art rock) but I hope they do well.

by Anonymousreply 6002/18/2013

I hate to say it, but I agree with R57. Her mouth was very unpleasant to watch and she needs to cap her her 2nd molar on the top left side and perhaps get her tonsils looked at; the right one looked a little inflamed.

by Anonymousreply 6102/18/2013

I legitimately thought the lead singer was a man being all hipster-y and wearing a dress. I guess I was wrong.

Alabama Shakes is an amazing band.

by Anonymousreply 6202/18/2013

It's a shame Ms. Howard chose Lena Dunham as her stylist.

by Anonymousreply 6302/18/2013

HA! This article is for R29, R41, R44, R50, R57, et al.

Americans have become so... dumb. Seriously.

You people are no longer capable of appreciating talent for talent. It's all about the physical for you. Which is why you end up with Taylor Swift, One Direction, and Katy Perry.

I can't help but look upon you all with contempt and condescension. You're completely pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 6402/18/2013

[R64] Thank you for your comments. You are right of course.

by Anonymousreply 6502/18/2013

My God, if I could just think like R64, why, I bet my life would just take off!

by Anonymousreply 6602/18/2013

Have any of you bothered to listen to the lyrics? Are you aware that they are one of those hideous "Christian Rock" bands? Good singer, disingenuous boring "blues rock sound". Kind of like Donny And Marie join The Allman Brothers.

by Anonymousreply 6702/18/2013

are the lyrics about being saved and denouncing homosexuality?

if not then stfu.

by Anonymousreply 6802/18/2013

(R63) Would not matter how she dresses YOU would have a problem with it. May she track you down and sit on your face.

by Anonymousreply 6902/18/2013

That's a man, baby!

by Anonymousreply 7002/18/2013

She reminds me of a black Kate Smith (the older years).

by Anonymousreply 7102/18/2013

Yup, r67 it's pretty bland. But they can at least play instruments and I am glad she is not some pretty cookie cutter lil' thing.

It's not all about the way we look.

by Anonymousreply 7202/18/2013

[quote](I am into stoner/doom/art rock)

I've never even heard of this jandra. Who's in it?

by Anonymousreply 7302/18/2013

[quote]jandra

Oh dear. Try genre.

by Anonymousreply 7402/18/2013

R74, if you've been here long enough to learn "Oh, dear" (note the punctuation, btw) you should know the origins of jandra before getting all preachy.

by Anonymousreply 7502/18/2013

"It's not all about the way we look."

For me it had nothing to do with the way they look. I was given the home burned CD with no cover art by a guy who calls himself a modern christian. He gave it to me and sad it was to show me that you can be a christian and "still rock" Half way through the first song it was clear that he was mistaken. The same riff over and over and over and over for about five minutes.The album was at it's best boring radio crap, at it's worst it was downright fundie sounding preachy.I didn't listen to the whole Cd but since I'm a heathon anyway I told my friend that I did and that he was right. His reaction reminded me of the Marcy Darcy character on Married with Childrenwhen she was talking about The Monkees and said "Mickey Really Rocks Out On That One!" The whole thing was kind of sad really.

by Anonymousreply 7602/18/2013

And here I thought it was an appearance by people from the Alabama Shakespeare Festival. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 7702/18/2013

And here I thought that Alabama was having an earthquake.

by Anonymousreply 7802/18/2013

Just because your friend called them "christian rock' does not make it so.

They are NOT a christian rock band.

by Anonymousreply 7902/18/2013

She sounds like Tina Turner. Good if you like that sort of thing, not my cup of tea.

by Anonymousreply 8002/18/2013

"Not my cuppa tea "– – exactly!" R80

Talented enough, I guess, to get themselves booked on SNL.

I wish them well, but I will not be supporting them with my dollars to express my appreciation.

by Anonymousreply 8102/18/2013

Is she perhaps the grandchild of Mark Volman, aka Phlorescent Leech?

by Anonymousreply 8202/18/2013

Listen to the words of their songs R79, they Are a christan rock band.

by Anonymousreply 8302/18/2013

Doesn't matter to me a bit if they're Christian so long as they aren't homophobic fundies. They've got a good 60s retro soul sound, like Stax without the horns.

by Anonymousreply 8402/18/2013

The horns are what made Stax good!

by Anonymousreply 8502/18/2013

"higher power" means spirituality of any kind, not just "Him."

by Anonymousreply 8602/18/2013

If they're using the term "higher power" they might be 12 steppers.

by Anonymousreply 8702/18/2013

The people that are mocking this singers facial expressions,dental issues,weight, wardrobe and general appearance, clearly have unresolved issues from years of bullying. I can tell you from experience,that if you do not seek therapy (seriously),you will be caught by surprise,when depression and/or anxiety begins to rule your life. You may already be abusing alcohol and/or drugs? You can't accept that the majority of posters are excited about this band. You think taking the contrary,bitchy point of view makes you above it? It just makes you sad and insecure. Everybody wants to have a good time and a good conversation. You just enjoy taking people down...sticking a pin in other people's balloons. You really need to take a hard look at yourself,and grow the fuck up.

By the way,it's not just this thread. You spout the same nasty shit whenever you Post. Stop ruining other people's enjoyment !

by Anonymousreply 8802/18/2013

Stephen, just go away. Stop trying to make other DLers love your new favorite band. You are getting tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 8902/18/2013

I don't think they're a Christian band at all. I think Brittany may be a spiritual person but I imagine watching your older sister die of a brain tumor when you are 8 years old might do that to you. I love their lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 9102/18/2013

Of course, R88.

I think the majority of us recognize these assholes for what they are.

Don't let them bother you. It's what they want.

by Anonymousreply 9202/18/2013

R92 -- you little cookie clearer, you!

Drop dead and stop trying to make that Alabama Shakes band happen.

Go outside and play, okay?

by Anonymousreply 9302/18/2013

For those that like them, they were on a very recent episode of Austin City Limits that you may be able to watch at pbs.org.

by Anonymousreply 9402/18/2013

R93 = apparently insane.

by Anonymousreply 9502/18/2013

R95 - Positively certifiable.

by Anonymousreply 9602/18/2013

I guess R88 really touched a nerve with R96.

by Anonymousreply 9702/18/2013

They are not a pleasant visual experience. Lead singer's facial expressions remind me of John Goodman mugging on Roseanne, and that bearded fat guy ... yikes.

But I do like their sound, and luckily, I don't need to look at them to enjoy their music.

by Anonymousreply 9802/18/2013

You'll probably get a lot of shit for it ( and I will too) but what you said is very true, R88. But this is DL.

by Anonymousreply 9902/18/2013

Love them and love her!

by Anonymousreply 10002/18/2013

[quote]Stop ruining other people's enjoyment !

Ha! You have clearly missed the raison d'etre of Datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 10102/18/2013

Alabama Shakes IS happening. Their album went to #2 on iTunes after their SNL performance. Their song Hold On will shortly be heard on every Pop station in the U.S.

No one is making them happen in some artifical way.

by Anonymousreply 10202/18/2013

R99 you will now get accused of being OP and clearing your cookies.

The miserable fucks are also delusional.

by Anonymousreply 10302/18/2013

Had checked out some of the Shakes vids a few months ago. She's passionate, intense... I like them.

Along similar lines as R84 stated, have been liking Vintage Trouble also. Maybe a little more although Shakes lead is probably more talented. Will post two vids for those here with similar tastes (60s retro soul).

First is the slower number, "Nobody Told Me"

by Anonymousreply 10402/18/2013

Seond is the faster james brownish style from a performance on Letterman, "Blues Hand Me Down"

by Anonymousreply 10502/18/2013

I don't know of a Christian rock band that would include fuck in their lyrics. Don't spread bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 10602/18/2013

I just watched SNL tonight. I knew several Alabama Shakes songs, because a radio station I listen to played the hell out of them last summer/fall. But I never saw what they looked like until tonight.

I do get what a lot of you are saying. She's hideous and she looks worse when she sings. I kind of think that made me like them even more, though. Remember when gays stood up for the underdog?

Also, I find it hilarious how some of our older DLers will swarm around a band like this with insult after insult. I don't understand why our elderly gays are so convinced they'll never like any modern music at all, they won't even give anything a chance.

by Anonymousreply 10702/19/2013

I don't think it's the Elders... Right,TIRESOME ?

by Anonymousreply 10802/19/2013

NIce Country Blues twang

by Anonymousreply 10902/19/2013

Yes, I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 11002/19/2013

I understand their appeal. With anything some will like it and some won't. That's life.

by Anonymousreply 11102/19/2013

They've been popular in the UK for the last year though I've heard some refer to them as being no better than a pub band. I liked the last single, I Found You. What songs did they do on SNL?

It's funny how the next big thing in the States always breaks in the UK first.

by Anonymousreply 11202/19/2013

R107, why do you automatically assume the people complaining here are older, dumbass? People from my generation in general love talent not beauty. Look at the performers who are revered from the 60's and 70's - most were homely as hell.

by Anonymousreply 11302/19/2013

r104 r105 ty. Loved it.

This is o/t or sort of on topic but, I really miss American black people singing songs. I mean, it's Americana.

Beyonce & Rihanna are not singers, they're auto-tuned to death and boring.

And it's not white people's fault, black people like Jay-Z & P Diddy OWN record companies and are putting out this heinous shit.

by Anonymousreply 11402/19/2013

R113, I think that's why the music was better. I think music was still pretty good up until mid to late 90s. I think lookism in the music industry got pretty bad in the late 90s and now it's out of control.

by Anonymousreply 11502/19/2013

"It's funny how the next big thing in the States always breaks in the UK first."

Their first album has been out way too long for them to ever be the next big thing. It's sold well but it's been out for about a year and record sales tend to decline over time, not increase. It's funny to me that some of you are so emotionally invested in the success of this band. Unless you are in the band or a member of their managment team there is no reason to get so upset when someone puts them down, I wonder if they have a shill or at least an emotionally unstable fan posting around on the internet for them.

by Anonymousreply 11602/19/2013

Brittany Howard is my hero. She is such a compelling figure, with her interesting looks and large stature.

In this age of manufactured pop princesses, I'll take Brittany Howard ANY FUCKING DAY, over those skinny bitches who can't sing for shit and have no soul.

The record industry tries to force feed us Taylor Smith, Katy Perry, etc., but for those of us who truly appreciate music, Alabama Shakes is the real deal!

by Anonymousreply 11702/19/2013

It's funny how as fabulous as the lead singer was, the cameramen kept focusing on the handsome twink in the band.

Television (esp. SNL) is vapidity to the 100th degree.

by Anonymousreply 11802/19/2013

You're FOS R118. The twink only got exclusive screen time when he was playing solos. The only other shots were medium shots that included the rest of the rhythm section. He didn't get any more time than the keyboard player, for example.

The camera coverage of the band was excellent, as was the sound mixing. SNL does a great job with the musicians it covers. You're complaining about nothing.

by Anonymousreply 11902/19/2013

You're an over-invested raging fanboi or girl, R119.

Not everyone likes or loves your fave band, OK?

Give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 12002/19/2013

Sure, R119. Mmm hmm.

You probably work for SNL, so it isn't even worth arguing the point. It's perfectly clear watching the video, that the twink gets more airtime than anyone else.

Hmm... i wonder why? FUCKING DUH.

by Anonymousreply 12102/19/2013

R16 is an idiot because even OP wasn't enough to get me curious, but R7 made me check her out and she is indeed very talented.

Those of you putting down her looks is precisely why we're stuck with shit music like Bieber, Rihanna and One Direction.

Vapid, silly prepubescent girls apparently grow up to be vapid, silly gay men.

by Anonymousreply 12202/19/2013

How am I "delusional,"? R123

Not everyone here has the same musical taste as you, you overwrought, blithering idiot!

by Anonymousreply 12502/19/2013

I feel like tbe people who rag on her looks should apologize for foisting Taylor Swift on us. They're responsible for the shallow nature of music today

by Anonymousreply 12602/19/2013

Okay, fellas, just because someone is fat or different-looking does not make them a great singer. That growl is AFFECTED. Yes, she is very affected.

by Anonymousreply 12702/20/2013

They are great, never heard of them before.. thanks OP!!

by Anonymousreply 12802/20/2013

They are a part of a new music movement that Is exciting. I was born in the 60s and assumed that the great folk /rock bands broke the mold and other genres just didn't come close. The last time I was really excited by the direction was when I first heard Smells Like Teen Spirit. Expect lots of grungy, JC Superstar types that will usher in a universally acceptable christian rock. Mumford and Sons, Edward Sharpe, Phillip Phillips, Alabama Shakes.

by Anonymousreply 12902/20/2013

Very proud of Bryan Howard, my former classmate.

by Anonymousreply 13002/20/2013

Who is Brian Howard?

Do you mean Brittany Howard? Does she have a brother?

Are you just being facetious with a gender slur?

by Anonymousreply 13102/20/2013

[quote] That growl is AFFECTED

I agree. And she's trying too hard to force it out.

by Anonymousreply 13202/20/2013

BUMP BUMP BUMP !

by Anonymousreply 13303/07/2013

[quote]It made me cry

Are you still crying, OP?

by Anonymousreply 13403/07/2013

VERY GOOD on their return to SNL last night.

About the only good thing on the show.

Sometimes I wonder if I like bands better when the rest of the show sucks so hard that it makes the musical guest seem better just by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 13503/01/2015

"Gimme All Your Love"

Live on SNL from 28 Feb 2015

by Anonymousreply 13603/01/2015

"Don't Wanna Fight"

Live on SNL from 28 Feb 2015

by Anonymousreply 13703/01/2015

Where does SNL find these shitty artists?

by Anonymousreply 13803/01/2015

Have we found out if the lead singer is MTF? She is really hard to look at.

by Anonymousreply 13903/01/2015

She's good, I saw her on some PBS show...I don't think she was with her band, there were a lot of different musicians in the show.

by Anonymousreply 14003/01/2015

I loved their first appearance on SNL. Downloaded the single right afterwards.

But I was really disappointed by them last night. Neither song grabbed me, and I found the vocals a little... affected.

Still rooting for them, though.

by Anonymousreply 14103/01/2015

Their "Don't Wanna Fight" performance on Letterman last night...

by Anonymousreply 14203/10/2015
Need more help? Click Here.