Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mary J. Blige- you in a world o' trouble, girl

Defaulting on $2 mill loan.

by Anonymousreply 2102/18/2013

Celeb net worth says she has 45 million. I'd think it's at least that, she's sold 50 million albums. So she has the money but just refuses to pay her bills?

by Anonymousreply 102/17/2013

Celebrity Net Worth is completely clueless. She's broke.

by Anonymousreply 202/17/2013

Complexion and beauty are skin deep; stupidity is to the bone.

by Anonymousreply 302/17/2013

I'm asking this as a black person so don't jump down my throat, but...why is it always black celebrities that have these debt issues?

Michael Jackson, Mike Tyson, Whitney Houston, Toni Braxton and now Mary J. can people who make millions go broke and into debt? I don't get it, especially the ones who grew up poor. You'd think they'd hold onto as many pennies that they could knowing how bad it is to not have money.

by Anonymousreply 402/17/2013

I come from a working class family. I grew up with the notion that money is not understandable, that it's all a big mystery and that it doesn't really matter because we'll never have much anyway. It doesn't take a great leap of the imagination to assume that if I suddenly had previously unimaginable amounts of money that I'd think that it would take care of itself, that I have "more than I will ever need."

by Anonymousreply 502/17/2013

Unbounce my check!

Say I'm not in debt!

by Anonymousreply 602/17/2013

The problem is the hangers-on and the dead beat family members who think that because their relative became financially successful that this automatically entitles them to a piece of the pie. Problem is when dozens of people have their finger in the pie, the pie no longer exists after a while. Mary J. Blige is probably taking care of her whole family and "staff". MC Hammer talked about this extensively when he went into debt. Too many people tried to guilt trip him into giving them money.

by Anonymousreply 702/17/2013

For R4:

Curt Schilling

Lenny Dykstra (now with prison stripes!)

Stephen Baldwin

Willie Nelson

Wayne Newton, at one time the highest-grossing performer in Las Vegas

Burt Reynolds

Etc, etc, etc

by Anonymousreply 802/17/2013

I feel bad for her, because of the 'hangers-on'.

My childhood friend married a big time NFL player. He made millions over the course of his career. He grew up very poor and his entire family felt that his wealth belonged to them too. He's a good guy (as is his family FWIW), but it's seemed to be a no win situation. His family didn't just want 5k, they wanted to live like he did: homes, vacations, etc., and if he didn't afford them that lifestyle, he felt so guilty. How could he enjoy his money, if they claimed poverty?

Finally, he wised up and started saying no. For his last contract, they basically set it up so it all went into a trust and they lived modestly off the interest. Most of this was because my friend DID grow up with money. She put her foot down and had her father help him. This way, he was able to say no because "they money was all tied up" or whatever. It seemed to work.

by Anonymousreply 902/17/2013

On the positive side, from a fan's perspective, you always want a singer to be hungry and to be singing for their supper. Often singers get filthy rich and then get lazy and self-indulgent, treating their careers as a hobby they aren't particularly interested in.

by Anonymousreply 1002/17/2013

Bitch spent it all on dead animal fur coats.

by Anonymousreply 1102/17/2013

She's a fur bitch? Ok, dead to me.

by Anonymousreply 1202/17/2013

Mary J has gone over the fiscal cliff.

Pay your bills, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1302/17/2013

I dont believe Mary Jane is broke.

You bitches just like to see a sistah down!

by Anonymousreply 1402/17/2013

This has been going on for almost a year now, and it's not about her paying her bills or being a Braxton with her money.

She had a charity she was trying to get off the ground for abused women. A couple of women were supposed to get full college scholarships, but the institutions apprently got bounced checks in return. That's how this mess started.

Evidently she put the wrong people in charge of handling this charity. It's been a complete disaster.

by Anonymousreply 1502/17/2013

[quote]or being a Braxton with her money

Dont make me knock the piss out you!

by Anonymousreply 1602/17/2013

From the record company's perspective, you want your talent to need money, if they're in debt you can tell them what to do. So, you encourage them to spend freely and live high, telling them that the publicity value is worth it.

The Hollywood studios used to do the same thing to their actors.

by Anonymousreply 1702/17/2013

[quote] This has been going on for almost a year now, and it's not about her paying her bills or being a Braxton with her money

Sorry, but no, her charity can't be blamed for everything. It may have had issues, but you don't start a charity and then give 90%+ of your assets to it.

MJB apparently wasn't handling her money well beforehand.

People who didn't have money or came into a lot of money often aren't sensible about it. Part of it is that they don't think about upkeep. Buying a yacht is tempting, but the price of the boat itself is only part of the story. Then there's the cost to store it, dock it, keep it running, etc.

And the family members who want support crawl out of the woodwork.

by Anonymousreply 1802/17/2013

[quote]MJB apparently wasn't handling her money well beforehand.

Im sorry but I dont believe she's broke. Mary J Blige has worked more consistently than most of her peer group for the past 20 years, I cannot remember a time where she didnt have music out and wasn't touring. She has a super supportive fanbase, and she is always on the radio. Hell, she was just on a new Lifetime movie with Angela Bassett last week. If she isnt paying someone she probably just doesnt want to (bad business deal), its not that she isnt able.

by Anonymousreply 1902/17/2013

Maaaaaaaaary, I knew times were hard but I didn't know they were that hard. How are you going to break it to Lester?

Wrong Mary?

by Anonymousreply 2002/17/2013

It's "Mary J. Bilge"... no, wait, I was right...

by Anonymousreply 2102/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!