Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

For those who live in 'tourist' cities

Are tourists really that awful? If so, why?

I mean, I don't think I'd like living on a street that was a widely known TV or movie location but otherwise, most tourist attractions aren't really in residential areas.

Would your city be better off without them or does the economic impact outweigh the disadvantages?

by Anonymousreply 802/17/2013

People always complain about them, but they would be shit out of luck if the tourists stopped coming.

by Anonymousreply 102/17/2013

As a Manhattanite, my only objection to tourists is walking five-across on the sidewalk.

by Anonymousreply 202/17/2013

In SF they are a necessary evil, but at least we keep them roped off to pretty much certain areas of the city.

However, I hate when they come in the subway and stare at the turnstiles like they were aliens that just landed in their backyard. Stand aside and figure them out sweety.

by Anonymousreply 302/17/2013

I lived in Hong Kong for a few years and you could spot a tourist from 50 paces. Stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to look up at buildings and being completely perplexed by how to flag down a taxi, etc. On the plus side, I can't tell you how many straight men I saw going back to their hotel with "lady boys." The trannies there were really top notch.

by Anonymousreply 402/17/2013

We are all tourists eventually.

I am a tour guide (historic and ghost tour) in my city, and I will tell you that I make good money off tourists and many of them are very appreciative of a good tour and many are impressed with the town. So they leave the city with a good impression, and that makes me happy.

When tourist season is over and the locals come on my tour, I work my ass off for them and make significantly less and they are hardly responsible.

Tourism is a big industry, although there are many low-paying jobs that are created. I always am welcoming and appreciative of people spending their money in my city.

by Anonymousreply 502/17/2013

I live in a touristy neighborhood in Seattle. Many are very nice, but what I don't get are that their young kids are running around outside very late - when I was say 10 or so, I was in bed at 10PM!

by Anonymousreply 602/17/2013

and they are hardly "responsible" should be "responsive"

by Anonymousreply 702/17/2013

I used to live in Gettysburg, PA. Small town but plenty of tourists. The tourists didn't really bother me.

by Anonymousreply 802/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!