Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Vogue fires Andre Leon Talley

Vogue and its flamboyant contributor Andre Leon Talley are set to part ways after three decades, fashion sources tell Page Six.

The split, we hear, has come partly as a result of Talley’s TV aspirations. Talley recently announced he’s developing a late-night show with former NBC exec Ben Silverman, which the fashonisto described as blending Dick Cavett with “unparalleled access into my international fashion lifestyle.”

But we hear Vogue wasn’t so happy with Talley’s bid to become the next Jimmy Fallon, and is looking to put an end to things.

“The powers that be aren’t huge fans of his television aspirations, and they want to sever all ties now,” a source told us as Fashion Week ended.

by Anonymousreply 5002/19/2013

The poor thing has completely lost. He's the very definition of the term 'a little bit goes a long way'. Ben Silverman must be off his meds again.

by Anonymousreply 102/17/2013

[quote]he’s developing a late-night show with former NBC exec Ben Silverman, which the fashonisto described as blending Dick Cavett with “unparalleled access into my international fashion lifestyle

No.

by Anonymousreply 202/17/2013

Sounds like a hit!

by Anonymousreply 302/17/2013

[quote]“The powers that be aren’t huge fans of his television aspirations, and they want to sever all ties now,” a source told us as Fashion Week ended.

Meaning Anna Wintour. She's previously rejected offers to partner reality shows with Vogue.

However, I never exactly understood what ALT actually did at Vogue in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 402/17/2013

The headline should really be "Talley Whacked".

by Anonymousreply 502/17/2013

Other than some fashionistas in NYC and LA, who would want to watch some obese queen in ridiculous get-ups bloviating about fashion trends. The ratings wouldn't even register in the Nielsens and total ratings would be 100K, if that.

by Anonymousreply 602/17/2013

Andre Leon Talley? Late night television? Two words....

Earrings...Caftans...

by Anonymousreply 702/17/2013

I never understood how someone who dresses so horridly is considered a fashion expert.

by Anonymousreply 802/17/2013

He thinks he's Grace Jones.

by Anonymousreply 902/17/2013

I imagine he left the Vogue offices, his caftan stuffed to the gills with thousands of XXXL black PVC trash bags/caftans/rain coats.

by Anonymousreply 1002/17/2013

Loved him in "Mannequin."

by Anonymousreply 1102/17/2013

[quote]However, I never exactly understood what ALT actually did at Vogue in the first place.

Why spreading fabulousness of course!

[quote]I never understood how someone who dresses so horridly is considered a fashion expert.

No expert would have put Jennifer Hudson in this on the biggest night of her life. He was revealed a fraud this night.

by Anonymousreply 1202/17/2013

Sashay chante, Miss Talley!

by Anonymousreply 1302/17/2013

He thought he was going to be a star in 'The September Issue' but he was revealed in that to be an idiot, insisting on playing tennis with a louis vuitton beach blanket draped over his shoulder (hitting the ball like a fat down syndrome tyke)

by Anonymousreply 1402/17/2013

[quote]He thought he was going to be a star in 'The September Issue' but he was revealed in that to be an idiot, insisting on playing tennis with a louis vuitton beach blanket draped over his shoulder (hitting the ball like a fat down syndrome tyke)

It showed that the brains and creative vision behind Vogue is Grace Coddington. Conde Nast should have demanded why they were paying this man's salary to do nothing.

by Anonymousreply 1502/17/2013

I love how ALT's success drives some of you queens batshit crazy. He is fabulous, you don't know why he's fabulous, it makes you insane, and I love it.

by Anonymousreply 1602/17/2013

He has no elegance, a sin in my view.

by Anonymousreply 1702/17/2013

Me too, R16. Long may he wave.

by Anonymousreply 1802/17/2013

He is not fabulous. Staff at V are breathing easier now that the elephant will no longer be in the room. ALT makes Patsy Stone look like a dedicated, overworked person. He has no style, he can't manage, he can't do much but make mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 1902/17/2013

He made Anna laugh. He was her court jester, that was enough.

by Anonymousreply 2102/17/2013

ALT is not now, nor has he ever been fabulous. He served as Wintour's connection to the black drag queen world which made her seem edgy and modern. He never actually contributed anything. This was a long time coming.

by Anonymousreply 2202/17/2013

He's not being fired you idiots. The NYP says he's leaving of his own accord and none of this has been verified by anyone. I love how you guys hate what you don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 2302/17/2013

[quote]He never actually contributed anything.

What about that MuMu craze on April 19th, 1993 between 4:17 pm and 9:05 pm?

by Anonymousreply 2402/17/2013

Was Stanley Tucci's character in Devil Wears Prada based on this queen?

by Anonymousreply 2502/17/2013

Did he have a regular column in Vogue?

I've never picked up a copy of Vogue and in every mention of him in other publications, he was always listed as "Andre Leon Talley of Vogue" but never a mention of his work at the magazine.

His biggest media splash was the Jennifer Hudson fashion disaster. What else has he done?

In photos of Talley in the media, he always looked as if he just stepped away from some circus sideshow where he was featured as The Burundi Buffoon. Was everyone out to make him look bad or did he not need help with that?

by Anonymousreply 2602/17/2013

[quote]He's not being fired you idiots. The NYP says he's leaving of his own accord

Yet the NYP says: “The powers that be aren’t huge fans of his television aspirations, and [bold]they want to sever all ties now.[/bold]”

And: "we hear Vogue wasn’t so happy with Talley’s bid to become the next Jimmy Fallon, and is [bold]looking to put an end to things[/bold]."

That doesn't sound as if Vogue is ready to shower him with a raise and promotion. One gets the impression that Vogue is planning to empty his office of 30 years of junk.

by Anonymousreply 2702/17/2013

"I love how you guys hate what you don't understand."

What, precisely, is not understood, R23?

by Anonymousreply 2802/17/2013

There is already a show like the one he aspires to host. It's called "Fashion Police". Hosted by the fabulously bitchy Joan Rivers.How can he hope to compete in television when he obviously doesn't watch it?

by Anonymousreply 2902/17/2013

[quote] he’s developing a late-night show with former NBC exec Ben Silverman, which the fashonisto described as blending Dick Cavett with “unparalleled access into my international fashion lifestyle

Oh my gosh. Leno, Jimmy Fallon, Conan O'Brien and Jimmy Kimmel are going to get canceled once Talley's show airs because no one will watch their shows anymore. Instead all the viewers will be tuning in to a late night show about fashion lifestyles

by Anonymousreply 3002/17/2013

If ALT has made Anna Wintour smile once in the last thirty years, then he'll be talk show GOLD.

by Anonymousreply 3102/17/2013

Doesn't Andre have an advanced degree in French from Brown? At least he went to college, that's more than one can say for Madame Wintour.

by Anonymousreply 3202/18/2013

I still love the story someone here told of him coming to work at [italic]Interview[/italic] in safari khakis and a pith helmet and answering the phone with "[italic]Bonjour![/italic]"

by Anonymousreply 3302/18/2013

Thank God. If the Pope can resign then Andre Leon Talley should resign, or quit, or be fired, whatever. All that matters is he is gone.

Nobody should be in a job that long. He was probably paid a fortune as well, and the days of earning huge salaries at magazines is now gone with the wind.

Now if Anna Wintour, Barbra Walters, Graydon Carter and Ben Brantley were to depart, American culture would benefit.

by Anonymousreply 3402/18/2013

[quote]Now if Anna Wintour, Barbra Walters, Graydon Carter and Ben Brantley were to depart, American culture would benefit.

Add Ryan Seacrest, Andy Cohen, Jerry Springer and Maury Povich to that list.

by Anonymousreply 3502/18/2013

ALT has never been fabulous a day in his life.

Fatuous (emphasis on 'fat') maybe, but never fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 3602/18/2013

Some review of some awards show. Hostess talking to him. He pronounces the actress's name as "Kate Blahn-SETT". What a douche.

by Anonymousreply 3702/18/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 3802/18/2013

He sho iz uglee!! HaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaOhLawd

by Anonymousreply 3902/18/2013

[quote]Now if Anna Wintour, Barbra Walters, Graydon Carter and Ben Brantley were to depart, American culture would benefit.

[quote]Add Ryan Seacrest, Andy Cohen, Jerry Springer and Maury Povich to that list.

And Bieber, Timberfake, Sandler, Kanye and the Kardashians as well.

by Anonymousreply 4002/18/2013

Throw in Jay-ZZZ and Beyawnce and we're good

by Anonymousreply 4102/18/2013

According the Vogue site he is/was an editor at large. I wasn’t sure what that was so I looked it up. According to Wikipedia an editor at large isn’t a writer, or an editor, or really much of anything.

Per Wiki: An editor-at-large is a journalist who contributes content to a publication.

Unlike an editor who works on a publication from day-to-day and is hands on, an editor-at-large will contribute content on a regular or semi-regular basis and will have less of a say on a specific field such as layout, pictures or the publication’s direction.

However, unlike a writer, they are allowed their own preferences in the content they have to generate and don’t always have to pitch their ideas to the main editor. Though they are still subject to the direction and oversight of chief editors and executive editors, they frequently come up with ideas for other writers to research and write. "At large" means the editor has no specific assignments, but rather works on whatever interests them.

The term was coined by Glenn O'Brien in the 1970s while at High Times magazine. He was allegedly in the actual offices so little that other employees regarded him "at large" – in reference to old Western "Wanted" posters.

So basically he didn’t do much but got a paycheck and all the perks of working at Vogue, and it went to his head.

by Anonymousreply 4202/18/2013

So basically he didn’t do much but got a paycheck and all the perks of working at Vogue, and it all went to yards and yards of expensive fabrics to make him tacky muumuus.

by Anonymousreply 4302/18/2013

For what it is worth, Andre is a lovely, kind and generous friend. He was a valued contributor at Vogue. Si Newhouse doesn't keep someone around for 30 years because they make one of his editors laugh. You flyover idiots should go back to your fucking "Housewives"...Andre wasn't made for you.

by Anonymousreply 4402/18/2013

There are some amazing pictures out there of ALT with Diana Vreeland when he was thin as a rail, back in his prime.

AND R39--thanks for the laugh!; I want you to have my children :D

by Anonymousreply 4502/19/2013

[quote]According the Vogue site he is/was an editor at large.

He was an editor at VERY large!

by Anonymousreply 4602/19/2013

Ain't that the truth R46

by Anonymousreply 4702/19/2013

Tim Gunn tells a very funny story about ALT's "entourage" carrying him down the steps because ALT doesn't do steps. I think mention was also made of a chauffeured Bentley.

by Anonymousreply 4802/19/2013

[quote]Tim Gunn tells a very funny story about ALT's "entourage" carrying him down the steps because ALT doesn't do steps. I think mention was also made of a chauffeured Bentley.

Didn't someone once post something similar about Oprah?

by Anonymousreply 4902/19/2013

The story about being carried down the steps was about Wintour. It was after a fashion show, she had some guys carry her down a few flights of stairs. It was in his last book. He blasted her for it.

by Anonymousreply 5002/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.