Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It didn't get better

It was ok in high school and then it got worse

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2013

did you go to college?

by Anonymousreply 102/17/2013

It got better when I finally got away from the bullies in my k-12.

by Anonymousreply 202/17/2013

There are more bullies in the workplace than there ever were in high school and college.

by Anonymousreply 302/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 402/17/2013

You sound passive and defeatist. The universe is not going to necessarily make your life better, put yourself in charge of your own destiny.

by Anonymousreply 502/17/2013

I was lucky to get out of HS without committing suicide. Joining the military changed my life.

by Anonymousreply 602/17/2013

It got better. But it took a long, long time.

by Anonymousreply 702/17/2013

is r3 also OP?

by Anonymousreply 802/17/2013

Inasmuch as I am no longer beholden to my parents, it has gotten better. But my life got worse (in a way that had nothing to do with sexuality, and about which I choose to remain vague), so it's kind of been a wash.

I have to say, though, before I came out (now long ago), I expected gay men to be nicer. In the getting laid sense, they were nice enough, but later, when I got sober, I met some of g-d's most vicious creatures. And they're supposed to be so speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeritchule.

by Anonymousreply 902/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 1002/17/2013

You're not kidding, R10. You're not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 1102/17/2013

R9 is posting from prison.

No, I'm r3 and life is much better now than it ever was then, and I think you look back on friends who died and how they would feel about life today if they could see it. But does the personal hate get better as you age?

Here's the thing. Children have a natural tolerance. You may not believe it, but it's true. They are more open to the novel and less understanding of bigotry and how it benefits them. Your main problem in dealing with children is getting past their parents' hate and peer pressure effects. Once you get into the so-called "real world," as the old Kurdish saying goes, "to make a crust, you have to go for the other man's throat." The people best able to manage that life are bigots, and so they are much more likely than others to be successful. Perhaps not sincere bigots, who are stupid, but people who view anybody else's living as a threat to their own welfare as a matter of philosophy.

And those people find it easy to manipulate and use minorities. And that's why in many ways adult life is harder for gays than school life.

by Anonymousreply 1202/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 1302/18/2013

What r12 said

by Anonymousreply 1402/18/2013

What R13 said.

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!