Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

If your mother was in the hospital for 2.5 weeks for surgery and then in a transitional care facility for another 3 wks

before returning home, would you visit your mother for 2.5 hours every single day in the hospital and the transitional care place before she returns home? And your mother has both a husband and daughter in the same city who visit too.

Just wondering....

by Anonymousreply 6602/17/2013

yes, you ungrateful son

by Anonymousreply 102/16/2013

I'd visit a lot more than that. "Transitional care" means a nursing home and you know she hates that and is afraid of being abandoned there.

by Anonymousreply 202/16/2013

every single day and for 2.5 hours every single day for 5.5 weeks?

by Anonymousreply 302/16/2013

I absolutely would visit her for 2.5 hours per day, or longer, regardless of whomever else is in the same city.

It might be a pain some days, but my mom's always been good to me, and I'd have no problems being there for her.

by Anonymousreply 402/16/2013

No, the transitional place is NOT a nursing home - she is there just for a few weeks to recover from the surgery. She will be going home soon.

She has a husband and daughter in the same city who visit too.

She is not being abandoned in any way whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 502/16/2013

Sounds like you've answered your own question, OP.

by Anonymousreply 602/16/2013

I don't have that kind of time. And she lived in another city.

by Anonymousreply 702/16/2013

R2, how long would you visit if not 2.5 hours every day? Are you working a fulltime job, R2, or are you retired/unemployed?

by Anonymousreply 802/16/2013

How old is the mother? Is she incapacitated by the surgery to the point that she needs an advocate then I can see that a regular presence that implies vigilance on the part of the relatives is important. But there are other family members there regularly.

I wouldn't. I would certainly go regularly, maybe even daily. But that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 902/16/2013

I would not do that, because I loathe spending time with my mother.

by Anonymousreply 1002/16/2013

R9, you say "I wouldn't". I think you are saying you would not visit for 2.5 hours every day but would visit for much shorter times regularly.

by Anonymousreply 1102/16/2013

No, she is not incapacitated by the surgery.

She is vastly overweight and in transitional care to regain strength.

by Anonymousreply 1202/16/2013

Why do you ask, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1302/16/2013

Spend as much time with her as you can. My mom was in a similar situation and, looking back, I wish I had taken a leave of absence from work and spent every day with her. Unfortunately, she passed away while she was in the nursing home which is probably why my advice to you is GO! TAKE CARE OF HER! you'll be glad you did.

by Anonymousreply 1402/16/2013

Somebody *please* co-sign my bullshit!

by Anonymousreply 1502/16/2013

If a surgery was so serious that they had to keep her in the hospital for 2.5 weeks and then a care facility for another 3 weeks, yes. It's rare for patients to spend that kind of time in a hospital, so I'd want to spend as much time with her as I could to keep her spirits up.

by Anonymousreply 1602/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 1702/16/2013

OP's bf is visiting his mother in the hospital and OP is jealous of her.

by Anonymousreply 1802/16/2013

Why do you have this all down to decimal point madness? MARY!

It's your mom. Visit her. Don't count the minutes like a anal retentive douche kit. Make the visits meaningful, no matter the length or duration.

You sound like it's almost who has to prove who is the better child by who visits the longest - like it's some sort of science project.

Chill the fuck out

by Anonymousreply 1902/16/2013

Okay, R16, but that is assuming that your presence every day would lift her spirits.

It is not a given or automatic that your presence would lift spirits - for example, if there has been conflict between the two of you or the two of you do not like each other very much.

by Anonymousreply 2002/16/2013

You are an mentally unbalanced nut case, R19.

by Anonymousreply 2102/16/2013

Leave your boyfriend alone OP. Let him do what he needs to do. You don't own him.

by Anonymousreply 2202/16/2013

Yes, R9. Two and a half hours is a lot. My mother isn't exactly a warm or kind person (to put it nicely), which plays into this, so it would be wasted time and I'd probably leave sad and exhausted. A half hour for regular visits would be enough, IMO.

I do have a question about having visitors for such a long periods of time during convalescence. When I'm sick, I value peace and quiet. I know that regular visits from loved ones are important, but can't frequent visits strain someone who's had surgery that requires so much convalescence?

by Anonymousreply 2302/16/2013

Yes, I would, OP. And my mom would do the same for me.

by Anonymousreply 2402/16/2013

Christ, OP. If your boyfriend wants to spend time with his sick mother, let it go. Find a hobby or some interest that doesn't involve your partner for awhile. Don't be so high maintenance that you're jealous over the time he spends with his mother after surgery.

by Anonymousreply 2502/16/2013

R 21 - I'm not the one obsessing over how many hours someone spends visiting a loved one in a hospital or convalescent home.

What's it to you how many hours someone spends doing what they want to do, it sounds like you're kind of possessive and controlling. And I need help? I'm unbalanced? Yes. Keep telling yourself that honey.

by Anonymousreply 2602/16/2013

Will you tools please listen to R18. It was quite obvious to me immediately upon reading OP's whiney complaint. He's pissed because the bf is tied up with his mom and isn't free to come home and pound his hole every night.

by Anonymousreply 2702/16/2013

My mom lives 5 minutes away from me & I don't spend 2.5 hours with her a year - so, no.

by Anonymousreply 2802/16/2013

R23, I agree with you about the peace and quiet and convalescence time.

When I was in the hospital, I actually did not want any visitors (excepts for the nurses) because I felt so awful -

and also because I looked and felt terrible without having my hair washed and without decent baths/showers. In fact, there was no hair washing except dry shampoo powder, and just very incomplete baths in bed, so I felt dirty and grimey.

Plus recuperating, I did not feel well, and didn't feel like talking or entertaining visitors.

by Anonymousreply 2902/16/2013

Plus the bedpan problem which can make one lose dignity.

by Anonymousreply 3002/16/2013

You should be happy, OP. Don't they say that you can tell what kind of a husband someone will be by how they treat their mother? Would you rather that he is a jerk? Use the time he is away to have some alone time. And be supportive, you can score some points with the whole family.

by Anonymousreply 3102/16/2013

ITA @ R29. I'm not one to like being pampered when sick. I like to be left alone. I might appreciate a quick visit every few days, but that's it.

Also, no one wants to feel like they have to entertain "guests" when they feel sick or in pain and, unfortunately, that's how some visitors behave--like it's a social call and they expect you to keep up your end of the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 3202/16/2013

My mother wouldn't want that. I can't see how any mother that would. They want you to live your life. A visit and a call is nice. But why the overkill? The poor mother doesn't need that.

by Anonymousreply 3302/16/2013

Damy, why do you do this to me, Damy?

by Anonymousreply 3402/16/2013

OP is one passive aggressive shit.

by Anonymousreply 3502/16/2013

I think the OP is getting the true nature of the issue at R20. The person visiting his/her mother for so long each and every day has a poor history with the patient and they do not appear to enjoy each other's company. Going forward with this premise, what's the point of the visits? What's the underlying agenda? Dysfunctional families do strange, inexplicable, and potentially destructive stuff. I don't know why the OP didn't go into more specifics about the situation because they'd determine our answers. If the situation is like this, I can't imagine that two and half hour visits are good for anyone, patient included.

I may be reading too much, but it kind of sounds like the woman ate herself into her situation so she bears some responsibility for her predicament. This complicates stuff. Morbid obesity also means she likely had enablers in the family. This isn't a simple situation by any means which is why I'm confused why no more details were provided. I guess the OP wanted to present the situation neutrally. But there's no such thing as neutral in whacked out families.

Just realized that I mistakenly addressed R11 as R9 upthread.

by Anonymousreply 3602/16/2013

very astute observation, R33

And you are also right about the overkill/overboard

by Anonymousreply 3702/16/2013

R32, your observations are also astute

by Anonymousreply 3802/16/2013

R36, what details would you like to know?

And yes, the mother ate herself into being very obese - but I'm not sure where you are going with that fact or how it impacts current situation.

by Anonymousreply 3902/16/2013

Just park her in a wheelchair in a major sports stadium. Someone is sure to come along to take care of her, so it will work out well for her eventually.

by Anonymousreply 4002/16/2013

I don't think it's that simple, OP.

Do what you feel right about doing. The only measure that matters is how you feel about it inside.

by Anonymousreply 4102/16/2013

[quote]the mother

The mother of what, OP?

by Anonymousreply 4202/16/2013

R41, it is also important how the patient (the mother) feels about it. That is just as important, if not more so, than how the visitor feels about it.

by Anonymousreply 4302/16/2013

Well, R39, what details do you think are important for us to know? History of family relationships and interactions might be a good place to start. Why do you think your friend feels so compelled to visit like this? How do you feel about it? You're hinting that you're not pleased. Why?

[quote]the mother ate herself into being very obese - but I'm not sure where you are going with that fact or how it impacts current situation.

Chronic morbid obesity can cause more health problems than alcohol or tobacco. There's a huge laundry list of conditions that are either created or potentiated by it. One could argue that the patient was responsible for her own poor health, no? Is this what some family members think? Is this what you think? That can open up a huge can of worms. Did the father and other siblings enable her? Or did they fret about her weight and try to help her to no avail? Did they argue about this? Was there one family member running out and buying enormous amounts of food to keep her happy (the enabler) while other family members were mortified? Are they angry that she quite possibly ruined her health permanently (and the family finances probably)?

There's so much that could be going on in this dynamic. When there's such a morbidly obese family member, or there are drug and alcohol issues in the family, there's often some type of dysfunction in their wake.

by Anonymousreply 4402/16/2013

Was she in the hospital due to complications with gastric bypass?

by Anonymousreply 4502/16/2013

R45, no, an ulcer in intestine which suddenly caused pain and became inflamed and an open tear.

by Anonymousreply 4602/16/2013

Is this a math problem?

by Anonymousreply 4702/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 4802/16/2013

This is a battle you won't win, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4902/16/2013

Visiting parents in the hospital is hard to define. My feeling is, when it feels like an obligation, it's time to go home. For many there is no feeling of obligation and the number of visits and length of time for each visit isn't a consideration. But, if there are children and husbands or wives too, that definitely affects each visit and the length of time. I've been in your position, I've always been single, so when I had a parent in the hospital I hung out there and broke up the time by making trips for Ice cream, hot food that was wanted, I even washed their hair and if necessary have someone come in to cut their hair and give them a foot massage or pedicure. One of the sad developments with getting sick and old, is the decline in physical contact. So if I got bored, which happened more often than not, I'd just give a neck or back or leg and feet massage.

Keep in mind, a lot of those activities I've mentioned can be quite a financial imposition for many of us, so don't feel guilty of you're not in a position to afford those little perks.

by Anonymousreply 5002/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 5102/16/2013

I just pray OP's boyfriend is sucking nurse dick - any and all nurse dick. Nurses, like fire fighters and teachers, truly are heroic human beings.

Daily visits ensure higher quality care. The boyfriend's mother has a daily advocate and her caregivers know it.

2.5 hours? Like the rest of civilization, the boyfriend hates OP and will use any excuse to stay away from him.

by Anonymousreply 5202/17/2013

The husband of the mother is present every day for two hours.

There is no question about the mother receiving excellent care. The health care center gives excellent care and has a very highly regarded reputation.

by Anonymousreply 5302/17/2013

The father hates OP as well.

by Anonymousreply 5402/17/2013

Hell to the no.

by Anonymousreply 5502/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 5602/17/2013

No, she wouldn't want to see me 2.5 hours everyday! Geeze...a couple times a week would suit her, for an hour, tops.

by Anonymousreply 5702/17/2013

My mother had open heart surgery and, because we live together, she was discharged home the second week. She convalesced at home for two months and went back to work. We had very good in home care.

My question to you, OP, is why she went to rehab/transitional in the first place if the three of you could have taken care of her at home?

by Anonymousreply 5802/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 6002/17/2013

yeah, right, everyone who needs rehabilitation, physical therapy, and close care after surgery should stay at home rather than in a transitional or rehab care center.

And yeah, right, physical therapy and rehab can be done in an apartment or a home rather than ina care center.

And yeah, right, everyone's insurance covers fulltime home health workers in the home for unlimited days.

And everyone can handle in a home or apt, a vastly obese woman who needs all kinds of care, physical therapy, and rehab.

yeah, right, every surgical patient or patient with needs should just stay in an apt or her own home or the home of her children

by Anonymousreply 6102/17/2013

r59 and r61, thank you for making me remember how fortunate I am to be able to have done those things.

by Anonymousreply 6202/17/2013

I hate these threads. They remind me of what lousy son I was and forever will be. The actions and inactions we can not change haunt us the most. Lousy sons happen to very good people.

by Anonymousreply 6302/17/2013

R63, please see R33. I doubt that you were as lousy a son as you think you were or are. No need to be haunted by anything.

by Anonymousreply 6402/17/2013

Op sounds like my ex. Horrible excuse for a human being.

by Anonymousreply 6502/17/2013

I can only imagine how peevishly OP acts when his BF comes home from being with his mother. Maybe the bf will have enough sense to dump him and find someone who doesn't sing me-me-me all the time.

by Anonymousreply 6602/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!