Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do some people refer to a pizza as a pie?

A pie is one of those pastries with a sweet or savoury filling. I just don't associate pizza with pie.

by Anonymousreply 6712/10/2013

Because it's (almost always) round and gets cut into wedges?

by Anonymousreply 102/16/2013

No one cares, OP.

by Anonymousreply 202/16/2013

They needed something to rhyme with "eye" in "That's Amore."

by Anonymousreply 302/16/2013

It's an Italian thing.

by Anonymousreply 402/16/2013

Faux Naive troll--you're getting really boring.

by Anonymousreply 502/16/2013

Pizza is pie in Italian.

by Anonymousreply 602/16/2013

It's more like a tartine, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 802/16/2013

You paid $18 to post THIS? Sad, really.

by Anonymousreply 902/16/2013

It's round food, dumbass!

by Anonymousreply 1002/16/2013

R6, the Italian word for "pie" is not "pizza". The word for a sweet pie (e.g., filled with fruit) is "torta" -- for a savory pie (e.g., filled with meat) the word is "pasticcio".

As a child in the midwest during the fifties, people referred to pizza as "pizza pie" -- probably an American term not used in Italy (& maybe not used much here anymore).

by Anonymousreply 1102/16/2013

In Chicago it is pie.

by Anonymousreply 1202/16/2013

Why do some refer to vagina as pie? It's certainly not a pie, nor is it round, however it can be italian. Maybe it's a fifties thing.

by Anonymousreply 1302/16/2013

Dumbest Thread Ever.

by Anonymousreply 1402/16/2013

The latest thread topics have been so shitty.

by Anonymousreply 1502/16/2013

It has a crust and filling (toppings). Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 1602/16/2013

I log on for celeb gossip and THIS is what is here? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

by Anonymousreply 1702/16/2013

Who wants to bet the OP's education level? Did he even complete the GED?

by Anonymousreply 1802/16/2013

I just find it annoying when people insist on calling it "pizza pie." These people are usually elder. There's no reason to say that, let alone be adamant about it.

But no, no..."pizza" does not translate to "pie" as Americans know it.

And, R12, it borders upon casserole there.

by Anonymousreply 2002/16/2013

When pizza first became popular in the U.S. (back in the fifties and sixties), it was always called a pizza pie. So it wasn't "some people", it was everyone. But as pizza became commonplace, and franchises emerged, people just started calling it "pizza".

I don't know what they say in Italy, but I grew up in an Italian neighborhood in NY and everyone called it a pizza pie.

by Anonymousreply 2102/16/2013

Saw a sign on Long Beach Island, New Jersey for Tomato Pies.

by Anonymousreply 2202/16/2013

My best friend is from an old school Italian neighborhood in the Bronx and whenever he wants to go for pizza he always says "Let's go for a pie!" which really confused me for the first year that I knew him...

by Anonymousreply 2302/16/2013

So did I and so did my dad, R21. "Pizza pie" is a term that probably began in order to assimilate the food into American culture. This may have been started by Italian-Americans, but that doesn't make it correct. What I'm saying is that it's dated and ridiculous to keep saying "pizza pie." So is "tuna fish."

You wouldn't say "torta de pizza," which is actually a completely different dish.

Italian-Americans got all kinds of terms wonky, relative to their counterparts in Italian. Pizza doesn't translate to pie like it's known in the USA, but it was guessed by Italian-Americans as a blanket term to encompass pies, because "pizza" is their base idea of pie, like apple pie is the American unit.

The etymology is disputed, but "pizza" means "pizza" in Italy, in the sense of having a flatbread or flat-ish bread with topping(s).

by Anonymousreply 2402/16/2013

R3

When I was young I worked as a bank teller and a guy used to come in with bad checks. I had his number. His name was August D'Amore.

So I'd sing "He comes in with no cash and a bad check to pass" "That's D'Amore". Lost on the other tellers.

It was a time when Farrah Fawcett's hair was in vogue and a really ugly woman had tried the hairstyle. I told her she looked like Voltaire. Lost on the other tellers.

by Anonymousreply 2502/16/2013

I grew up in CT. We called it "pizza" or "pie" (let's go grab a pie), but never "pizza pie".

by Anonymousreply 2602/16/2013

In my world, we refer to pizza as "globules of fat that lead to fewer sexual encounters."

by Anonymousreply 2702/16/2013

It obviously is a bad translation like "gravy". Some things are difficult if not impossible to translate. There is no American equivalent to "pizza". Pizza is Pizza. Quiche is Quiche. Spaetzle is spaetzle. I hate it when someone refers to spaetzle as noodles. Yeh, I mean you Dick and Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 2802/16/2013

R27 A good pizza is better than sex.

by Anonymousreply 2902/16/2013

R25, you are hilarious and I appreciate your sense of humour. Too bad about the ignoramuses with whom you worked.

by Anonymousreply 3002/16/2013

r28, the "gravy" thing is a hot button issue with Italian Americans. Any Italian American I've met has always said how much they hate the term "gravy" and how shows like The Sopranos popularized it. I've simply never her this in the New York tri-state area.

by Anonymousreply 3102/16/2013

[quote]It was a time when Farrah Fawcett's hair was in vogue and a really ugly woman had tried the hairstyle. I told her she looked like Voltaire. Lost on the other tellers.

LMFAO!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3202/16/2013

[quote]My best friend is from an old school Italian neighborhood in the Bronx and whenever he wants to go for pizza he always says "Let's go for a pie!" which really confused me for the first year that I knew him...

It took you an entire year to remember he used the word 'pie' for 'pizza'? Are you touched in the head?

by Anonymousreply 3302/16/2013

[quote]When pizza first became popular in the U.S. (back in the fifties and sixties), it was always called a pizza pie

No it wasn't, and my Italian great grandmother would smack you up side the head if she were still alive right now.

by Anonymousreply 3402/16/2013

[quote]In my world, we refer to pizza as "globules of fat that lead to fewer sexual encounters."

Then why isn't everyone obese in Italy?

by Anonymousreply 3502/16/2013

Does anyone recall the drive-in theatre intermission commercials enticing the people to come to the snack stand for "a hot tomato pie".?

by Anonymousreply 3602/16/2013

People who say pie are the same flyovers who say pop for soda.

by Anonymousreply 3702/16/2013

My BILs family called it gravy (all Italian-American). We called it sauce but my parents were born in Italy.

Gravy may have been a mistranslation, but it's part of the culture now.

It really only refers to meat sauces, btw.

by Anonymousreply 3802/16/2013

[quote]People who say pie are the same flyovers who say pop for soda.

Well...no, actually.

by Anonymousreply 4002/16/2013

Here's the answer, DLers. Gravy has meat. Sauce doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 4102/16/2013

New York's first pizzeria Lombardi's opened on Spring Street in 1897. To this day no employee has uttered the word "pie."

by Anonymousreply 4202/16/2013

For OP why do some people call it soda, while others call it pop & some call it soda pop?

by Anonymousreply 4402/16/2013

I think in some parts of the country all carbonated beverages are referred to as "coke."

by Anonymousreply 4602/16/2013

People around New Haven, Connecticut call pizza "abeets" or apizza.

by Anonymousreply 4702/16/2013

I agree OP/the Faux naive Troll has become intolerable.

"Why do British people say 'in hospital'? Why do some people call a pizza a pie? What's a battle?"

by Anonymousreply 4802/16/2013

When I was a kid, our pizza came from a pizza "parlor."

by Anonymousreply 4902/16/2013

I believe Barney Rubble started it.

by Anonymousreply 5002/16/2013

Despite what American Italians say, they have very little in common with Italian Italians. They're always going on about the old country, etc., but it's all talk. All of the Italian Italians I know laugh at American Italians and call them uncultured and vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 5102/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 5202/16/2013

[quote]R6, the Italian word for "pie" is not "pizza". The word for a sweet pie (e.g., filled with fruit) is "torta" -- for a savory pie (e.g., filled with meat) the word is "pasticcio".

FWIW, when I was growing up, my family used to refer to Easter pies as [italic]pizza dolce[/italic] like the one at the link.

R51, are these "Italian Italians" you refer to from the north or the south of Italy? I ask because there really are two Italys, and most Italian Americans are of southern Italian decsent and eat diferently than those from the north.

As far as the reference earlier in the thread about pizza being "globules of fat" - it depends on how it's made.

For example my grandmother, who was Sicilian, never put mozzarella on pizza. Her pizza contained tomatoes, oregano, salt/pepper, grated pecorino & olive oil. The other Sicilians who lived in my neighborhood did the same. Sometimes they put anchovies or chopped hot peppers on top. But no one put on mozzarella - which I think is more common with the Neopolitan and Calabrian style of making pizza.

by Anonymousreply 5302/16/2013

[quote]People who say pie are the same flyovers who say pop for soda.

Well, that's exactly wrong. The people who say pie instead of pizza are all from the mid-Atlantic and New England states; people who say pop instead of soda are Midwesterners and Westerners.

You just don't get out of your mother's little basement at all, do you?

by Anonymousreply 5402/16/2013

There were a lot of parlors when I was a kid. Pizza parlors, beauty parlors and betting parlors

by Anonymousreply 5502/17/2013

When I was a kid in NY, pizzas were pies, but we would go get a "slice" because, as others have said, it was sold in parlors, and you didn't order a whole pizza. Also, it wasn't covered with mozzarella, it had a couple of one inch round thin slices of the cheese on each slice like pepperoni.

by Anonymousreply 5602/17/2013

I don't give a shit what you call it, I love pizza.

Of course it may date back to the British tradition of meat pies, a pie can be anything. IN the South we make tomato pie, chicken pot pie, in fact there are a ton of savory pies in America.

by Anonymousreply 5702/17/2013

Some refer to vagina as cake.

by Anonymousreply 5802/17/2013

Whenever I order pizza I say "can I get a large pie half pepperoni half plain"

by Anonymousreply 5910/29/2013

Referring to pizza as "pie" has become increasingly hip among the urban foodies and critics. Lately, I never read a review about a restaurant serving pizza in which the author doesn't refer to it as "pie" at one point.

One thing I've learned...the cooler a pizza place fancies itself....the more expensive,attitudy and overrated it is.

Apizza Scholls...I'm talkin' to ya assholes.

by Anonymousreply 6010/29/2013

Is it a NY/NJ thing? I grew up there, and it was a valid name for fruit, cream, or pizza. In my life, it depended who was saying it, my father (pizza) or my grandmother (the dessert kind).

by Anonymousreply 6110/29/2013

Chicago's stuffed pizza really is a pie. That's probably why they thought of it.

by Anonymousreply 6210/29/2013

OP, your response to the poster at R5 asking for a respite from the faux-naive troll was a bit over the top, since the person obviously was speaking for a large majority of posters here.

Also, R5 obviously is neither a twat or a cunt, since none of the women on the DL would have the resolve to post a put-down on aesthetic grounds. They only demand respite from people joking about dead puppies.

But suggesting a misplaced Farah do made a woman look like Voltaire was cute, R25. Sorry it was lost on your bankmates. I once complained to an English Lit. teacher in class that complaining about Joyce Kilmer was unnecessarily obvious, rather like beating a dead horse chestnut. She was not amused. So sometimes mere ignorance isn't the only reason our little sparklers fail to dazzle others.

by Anonymousreply 6310/29/2013

As a youngster, my italan grandpa used to make pizza on Saturdays for lunch. It was delicious. Crispy, crunchy, cheesey, deep tomato, oregano, rosemary, garlic, basil taste. When I i was a teenager, i went with a gang of friends for something they called "tomato pie". It was just icky. Doughy and tasteless. Later, I discovered that this was what Americans called "pizza". .. I don't eat it. I make my own.

by Anonymousreply 6410/29/2013

Because Fuck You, That's why.

by Anonymousreply 6512/10/2013

G/R/Umpy is back!

r35- have you ever been to Italy and had a pizza there? It's completely different than American pie. Very thin crust, no tomato sauce, pepperoni slices, very little cheese. I went there as a kid and was completely disappointed in the pizza (having grown up on Chicago pizza). As an adult, I would appreciate it now.

by Anonymousreply 6612/10/2013

R25 can come sit by me.

by Anonymousreply 6712/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.