Since 1995

A "Made in China" label in luxury clothing items

Are you instantly put off?

by Anonymousreply 6206/12/2013

Not if it's $1.99 or less

by Anonymousreply 102/16/2013

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 202/16/2013

I try not to buy clothing that has been made in China.

by Anonymousreply 302/16/2013

I was at the men's clothing store Thomas Pink in Dublin today, shopping for a birthday gift for my brother. The China-made silk shirts there retail at €300 (roughly $345.) I walked out without buying anything.

by Anonymousreply 402/16/2013

Daaaaamn. I wish I had a brother who was willing to buy me a Thomas Pink shirt.

by Anonymousreply 502/16/2013

Absolutely

by Anonymousreply 602/16/2013

Yes

by Anonymousreply 702/16/2013

No, however I am put off by synthetics. I have no synthetic fabric in wardrobe and I never will.

by Anonymousreply 802/16/2013

R8 = Mallory Keaton

by Anonymousreply 902/16/2013

No...say all the sheeple with their made in China Apple i-Shit. Everything is made in China today. If you want quality made clothes then pick your own cotton, buy a loom and a sewing machine and make your own clothes.

by Anonymousreply 1002/16/2013

Yes. If they are charging high-end prices they can at least pay decent wages to seamstresses in Portugal or Bulgaria or El Salvador. Tacky.

by Anonymousreply 1102/16/2013

For R8:

[quote]So important for genuine upper-middle-class standing is the total renunciation of artificial fibers that the elite eye becomes skilled in detecting even, as The Official Preppy Handbook has it, "a small percentage of polyester in an Oxford-cloth shirt"--a sad middle-caste mark. The same invaluable book praises young Caroline Kennedy unreservedly--"on technical points Preppier than Mummy"--because "during four years at Harvard Square, an unnatural fiber never went near her body."

by Anonymousreply 1202/16/2013

Like others point out, good luck finding anything not made in China. That said, I must admit I do get off buying a garment that came from a factory where little children were burnt alive in a factory fire because of the unsafe conditions. It just adds to the value of my purchase.

by Anonymousreply 1302/16/2013

I don't give a fuck about the dictates of the Preppy Handbook. It was meant as satire, at least until millions of dim Americans took every word as a Guide to Gracious Living.

by Anonymousreply 1402/16/2013

Oh poor OP, reject the made in china label all you want. Your pitiful opinion won't really matter because you are just ONE in 300 million people who buy Chinese products.

by Anonymousreply 1502/16/2013

I have no desire to be defiant, have influence, or make a difference, R15. I was questioning my own hypocrisy and would-be snobbery, and was curious as to how other posters responded to the "Made in China" label. Your interpretation of my post couldn't be more wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1602/16/2013

I wouldn't be put off if the store had said, "We're moving all production to China, so the same shirt you used to pay 345 dollars for will now retail at 200."

But of course they keep the retail price steady...

by Anonymousreply 1702/16/2013

I was in a William Sonoma store on Rodeo Dr in Bev Hills, day before yesterday. I was curious if their merchandise was more up scale that our WS in Manhattan Beach. They were selling high polished metal kitchen utensils of fairly heavy metal under their house name. The spatula was 35.00. I turned the flipper over and it was marked, Made in China. I left the store thinking what a ripoff company. I wasn't going to buy the item, but I had no interest in anything else they were selling.

by Anonymousreply 1802/16/2013

Yes. I don't care what the label is and how expensive it may be.

by Anonymousreply 1902/16/2013

£300 is more like $465.

by Anonymousreply 2002/16/2013

For Christmas I received Penguin polo shirt and the tags included in the packaging went on and on about the quality workmanship and care that goes into making the garment only to find the made in China tag on the collar. Although it did say made in China in about 3 different languages which is something different as tags go. That was definitely disappointing. I have yet to wear the item as it is winter, but by outward appearance the fabric, buttons, etc don't appear to be of significantly greater quality and this was an expensive shirt compared to the prices you would pay for a similar product at most retailers.

There is one exception to the made in China rule. An acquaintance who has worked in the apparel industry for years as a direct distributor for the factories told me that the best cashmere in the world actually comes from the mountainous regions in China so for luxury goods such as Cashmere sweaters, a Chinese yarn with the made in China label is actually desirable if not coveted.

by Anonymousreply 2102/16/2013

Euros, R20.

by Anonymousreply 2202/16/2013

Yeah, I saw that about 10 seconds after I posted.

Sorry. Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 2302/16/2013

I won't buy expensive Chinese clothes either, OP. The worst are shoes. Chinese or Indian shoes for $300? Fuck, off!

by Anonymousreply 2402/16/2013

r21, a fine thread/fabric will be sold to a manufacturer. Italy, Australia, US, and then marketed.

Loro Piana is the best example.

Highest quality Chinese product.

by Anonymousreply 2502/16/2013

The newer Givenchy menswear has items that were made in China. How am I supposed to be rockstar chic while wearing this shit?!

by Anonymousreply 2602/16/2013

r24, for big boy shoes go to Pediawear.

by Anonymousreply 2702/16/2013

Opops, Pediwear...

by Anonymousreply 2802/16/2013

[quote]at least until millions of dim Americans took every word as a Guide to Gracious Living.

This didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 2902/16/2013

Huge put off. I don't care about price, but if a store wants to charge $135.00 for a shirt made in China I will not buy. Are you listening Orvis. Manufacture it in the U.S. then I'll buy.

by Anonymousreply 3002/16/2013

I'm not at all put off.

Shanghai Tang, for instance, is an excellent fashion brand. There may be other luxury fashion brands from China (although I'm not away from them).

Not to mention, of course, that a great many big designer labels not associated with China have a great deal of their clothes made in China.

by Anonymousreply 3102/16/2013

Of course. It's a huge, immediate red flag that the product is shabby and won't last. People rally around "made in China" in a show of false-flag populism, so they have an excuse to completely surrender all discernment in consumption.

by Anonymousreply 3302/16/2013

[quote]I try not to buy clothing that has been made in China.

If it's not made in China, then it's made in some other shithole country. Why on earth would anyone buy a "luxury" item if it's made in China just like all the other shit? Are ANY clothing labels actually made in the US, England, Italy, or France anymore?

by Anonymousreply 3402/16/2013

Hermès is apparently still made in France.

I've seen "Made in China" labels on clothing from Joseph, Helmut Lang, Marc Jacobs, and many other designers.

by Anonymousreply 3502/16/2013

Are you saying my Burberry...err...Buebelly...scarf isn't of the highest quality?

by Anonymousreply 3602/16/2013

Hermes is indeed one of few remaining luxury brands that won't compromise quality for larger profit. The book linked below is quite informative and an interesting read:

by Anonymousreply 3802/16/2013

Oops, didn't link well:

by Anonymousreply 3902/16/2013

I stopped buying made in China shirts when Bergdoff stopped giving away free fortune cookies with each purchase.

by Anonymousreply 4002/16/2013

You can't do any better than the Jaclyn Smith collection at J.C. Penny, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 4102/16/2013

"Made in China Luxury" is an Oxymoron.

by Anonymousreply 4205/27/2013

OP/R4, does Thomas Pink sell men's silk shirts ? Only I can't find them on their website... Maybe it's an Extremely Special Textile

by Anonymousreply 4305/27/2013

agree with R42

by Anonymousreply 4405/27/2013

Yes, of course.

If I had the money, I would have all my clothes made by hand locally.

by Anonymousreply 4505/27/2013

One person interviewed for the movie "The Corporation" showed a room full of goods for which he had been able to obtain manufacturing information.

The figures were appalling. Most of the clothing items (running shoes, suit jackets, and so on) had retail prices around $200. And, in almost every case, the person who made a $200 item received less than 20 cents.

Our sleazy, thieving manufacturers could pay those people 10 times as much and STILL make out like bandits. Yet, they claim prices would have to increase dramatically if they paid anyone a living wage.

Sadly, it's getting harder every year to avoid supporting that system. No matter what you need to buy, it was probably made in China.

by Anonymousreply 4605/27/2013

I also agree with R42

by Anonymousreply 4705/27/2013

A lot of high-end fashion brands have production in China now, from Michael Kors to Prada to Herve Leger. The belief that anything that's made in China must be crappy and bad-quality isn't always the case. iPhones are made in China. Labor isn't as cheap there as it used to be, and many companies are moving their production to places like Pakistan and Bangladesh. I'd be more wary of anything that's made in those places, especially because of the working conditions.

by Anonymousreply 4805/27/2013

I love Anges b. Most of their clothing is made in France, with the exception of cashmere which is made in China. I will buy anything from them except their cashmere.

by Anonymousreply 4905/27/2013

Made in China is its own brand.

You are not wearing "Prada", you are wearing made in China Dollarama crap, with a Prada name on it. When people start to realize this, they will stop paying a premium for Made in China crap because of a name attached to it.

by Anonymousreply 5005/28/2013

Walmart luxury... its a different kinda luxury...

by Anonymousreply 5106/11/2013

I never purchase garments handled by brown people.

by Anonymousreply 5206/11/2013

Distaste for synthetic fibers is a relic of the 70s, when they were poorly employed. The finest dress shirts today incorporate some portion of synthetic fibers to increase the fabric quality or give a little bit of stretch. They also hold their shape better over time.

If you don't like synthetic fibers, skip all the major designers.

by Anonymousreply 5306/11/2013

Prada-Guangdong

classy.............!

by Anonymousreply 5406/11/2013

Don't be fooled by "made in italy" either...some lux brands will have everything made in china and then ship the products back to italy where the zipper will be sown in and then slap on the tag "made in italy"

it's the trade secret.

by Anonymousreply 5506/11/2013

Anyone who is not blind, can easily see the poor quality of Made in China clothing. A label can not cover up for that.

by Anonymousreply 5606/11/2013

Not so much a luxury item, but I purchased bed linens from Pottery Barn. I like them very much but I was sad when I read the "Made in China" label.

by Anonymousreply 5706/11/2013

I have been very conscious about looking at the labels and when I see 'Made in China', I often put it back on the rack. I know that 95% of clothes are made in China, and if consumers keep buying this shit, the companies will continue to enjoy earning massive profits. It's up to the individual and I would rather pay more for something made in the USA.

I still wear an Eddie Bauer lightweight jacket that I bought in 1993. It has Made in the USA tag in it. Flash forward to 2013, 0% of Eddie Bauer clothes are made in the USA. That's fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 5806/11/2013

At this point I'll buy clothes that say Nazi Germany before I'll knowingly buy Chinese. Except anything leather.

by Anonymousreply 5906/11/2013

ALL luxury products are made in China and the "finished" in the country where they're supposed to be from, e.g. Hermes or Louis Vuitton products in France.

by Anonymousreply 6006/11/2013

All Hermès leather goods, and most other products, are made in France--often by hand.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the silk scarves were from China, at least the textiles.

by Anonymousreply 6106/11/2013

If people are too stupid to look where items are made today, then I can't feel sorry for them when they get taken by any brand name.

by Anonymousreply 6206/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.