Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Some little things you can do to save money...

For me, I never buy any condiments, I just use the packets from restaurants. Also, never buy toilet paper, just take it from work or public restrooms. Save water buy never flushing after going #1 only after #2 and never take a shower at home, only at the gym. Spend at much time as possible at friends places in the evening, so as not to keep my power and heat usage as low as possible. If I have to mail something, always use envelopes and stamps from work.

by Anonymousreply 6211/10/2013

Make your own toothpaste with baking soda.

by Anonymousreply 102/16/2013

Those little globs of toothpaste that fall on the bathroom sink? Don't wash them away! Collect them, dry them and serve them in place of dinner mints. Your guests will never know the difference.

by Anonymousreply 202/16/2013

"Spend at much time as possible at friends places in the evening"

That's just obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 302/16/2013

be sure to cut your wrists with used razor blades.

by Anonymousreply 402/16/2013

Dye your hair with shoe polish. It really works, people!

by Anonymousreply 502/16/2013

Eww, you NASTY, OP! Why not just re-use used toilet paper?

by Anonymousreply 602/16/2013

OP is a mooch & a thief, I fucking hate people like that

by Anonymousreply 702/16/2013

Office thieves like OP cost companies millions each year.

by Anonymousreply 802/16/2013

Date someone your own age.

by Anonymousreply 902/16/2013

Don't waste money on expensive hair conditioners. You can avoid hair static for much less just by rubbing a dryer sheet on your head.

by Anonymousreply 1002/16/2013

I agree 100% with R7 & R8.

You disgust me, OP.

I am glad I do not know you.

by Anonymousreply 1102/16/2013

I don't use dishwashing liquid. I just use the bathroom soap that I wash with to do the dishes.

by Anonymousreply 1202/16/2013

I stopped buying utilities. I just tap into all my neighbors.

Water from that house, gas and cable from that one, electricity from that other one.

by Anonymousreply 1302/16/2013

Your water conservation sounds ridiculous OP. Where I live the minimum rate includes usage of 3000 gallons, and I never go over that even though I wash all my clothes with extra rinses, and do lots of separation so there are lots of small loads of laundry. And I flush the toilet after every use, and bathe often, twice a day if I am doing anything in the evening. My usage is usually 2000, and the only way that I ever go over the 3000 is if I water plants in the summer. I never water just plain old grass.

by Anonymousreply 1402/16/2013

I only eat free samples from Costco. It's worth the membership fee and saves me thousands on groceries.

by Anonymousreply 1502/16/2013

You can clean most things with lemon juice and vinegar. Please don't steal OP, it's not being frugal, it's just plain theft.

by Anonymousreply 1602/16/2013

r7 & r8, corporate CEOs with their bloated salaries and golden parachutes are the real thieves. The little people have to do what they can to survive, the economy is just going to keep getting worse.

How do you get those packets from restaurants, OP? Do you eat there and then just take big handfuls of the packets? Or do you try to sneak in and get the packets without even eating there?

by Anonymousreply 1702/16/2013

Dale, I think I know you! I only get my fruit from the sidewalks in front of trees.

by Anonymousreply 1802/16/2013

Gullible assholes.

by Anonymousreply 1902/16/2013

When I lost my job I did a serious review of everything I was spending money one and was able to cut out a lot of stuff I was wasting money on.

1. cut off cable TV and went to Netflix & Hulu streaming. This was an adjustment but it saves me over $80 a month and I have more than enough to watch

2. reviewed auto insurance policy and shopped around for a cheaper policy. This saved me about $25 a month

3. bought a programmable thermostat and set it up to match my daily schedule. Still working on what this has saved.

4. currently looking at dropping my cell phone service and going to a prepaid service now that my contract expired. Possible savings $40 a month

5. Paid off the credit cards and stopped using them. Saving finance charges.

6. Cut eating out way back and started cooking more meals and in bulk to freeze. also started baking. Savings of about $100 a month.

7. I don't use the car one day a week. I also started combining trips and try to do errands on my way to and from work. Luckily the grocery store, dry cleaners and several regular stops are on my route to work. Probably saving about $25 a month on gas.

8. Got a library card. Been checking out more books and not buying them.

by Anonymousreply 2002/16/2013

Well, you can get fresh fruits & veggies free or cheap if you "glean" or if yu go to the Farmers market close to closing time. A lot of people shop early and goody for them. But as the day wears on prices come down or farmers anxious to leave will actually dispose of perfectly good food. The trick is to arrive before the rats do.

by Anonymousreply 2102/16/2013

R21 What about companionship? Are you tricking insead of being in a realtionship? Or are you completely single. I see many different people and my biggest expenses are on my various lovers.

by Anonymousreply 2202/16/2013

R20 I fgured it out. Between Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Netflix, I spend about $300 a year, maybe $360 at most. I eliminated cable all together and I just get the basic local stuff. My cable bill was topping $200 a month.

It's smart to go over home owners, renters & car insurance every two or three years. Check out what you have covered and see what you need, see about deductibles, etc. You can lower your rates.

If you notice your rates creeping up call your agent and see about getting them lowered or shop around for a new carrier.

by Anonymousreply 2302/16/2013

Yeah r21, stop tricking with those farmers at the market, you slut!

by Anonymousreply 2402/16/2013

When you're putting detergent in the clothes washer, you only need to use half the amount they recommend (unless you're cleaning something with heavy soil). You will still get sudsy water using half the amount.

by Anonymousreply 2502/16/2013

I figured out that my home phone was redundant, and had it cut off. And I haven't had cable TV for many years. With digital, over the air has many more channels than the old days. I get internet through the cell phone, and so my usage is limited to avoid going over the 5GB, which would be really expensive. I almost always cook good food at home, and brown-bag it to work with the leftovers. But my food is so much better than restaurant food. I invite company to dinner almost every night, but that is worth the cost, and I never go out to bars. I am a do-it-yourself man, and if I don't know how, then I learn. The library has lots of how-to books and repair manuals. I have several old vehicles for different uses, and I only have liability insurance. I drive the 1985 Jap rice-banger which gets 33 mpg, unless I really need the pick-up or the SUV for something. I go to garage sales, and I reuse, repurpose, or recycle anything possible. About 1/3 of my income goes to the low down dirty sorry government for taxation of all sorts, I live on about 1/3 of it, and I invest about 1/3 of it for retirement.

by Anonymousreply 2602/16/2013

I have a great money saving tip especially for the OP--stop paying 18 bucks to post this drivel . I calculate this will save you approximately 18 dollars a year which will allow you to flush your nasty piss-filled toilet.

by Anonymousreply 2702/16/2013

R27 agreed. Why the ehck should we pay 18 bucks a pop when our favorite threads are taken down?

by Anonymousreply 2802/16/2013

Are they charging $18 per thread, or $18 for a one year membership. I thought it was the latter, but I don't know because I'm not giving anyone a credit card number on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 2902/16/2013

One year membership r29, which allows you to start all the threads you want during that period.

by Anonymousreply 3002/16/2013

After six years on an iphone I just dumped the plan and now have a basic flip phone, no data plan. It's like 2005! Saves $100 a month. Still have the iPhone for when wifi is available, it still works fine.

by Anonymousreply 3102/16/2013

I wipe my ass with my bare hands and then wash my hands in the rain water outside. This has saved me hundreds of dollars from buying toilet paper. The pool of water outside becomes highly nutritious for the trees after I wash my hands.

I put my dick in a hole in a tree to solve my sexual needs. This saves money to buy clothes, gym membership and other things to attract mates. Just kick the tree to check for bees before you stick your thing in.

by Anonymousreply 3202/16/2013

R32 cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 3302/16/2013

I'm baring scraping by on my unemployment benefits these days. Here are some things I've done to save money:

1. I do as much of my shopping as possible at Costco, Trader Joe's and online. You can get very high-quality stuff at low prices at all those places. Costco in particular is a godsend. I don't have health insurance, but I get my Rx filled at Costco and the cost is shockingly reasonable. Also, their house brand of dog food, Kirkland, is healthy as well as dirt cheap (around $27 for a 40-lb. bag).

2. When shopping online, I always use a price comparison site like Google shopping, and I look for online coupons at retailmenot.com

3. I rarely eat out and am doing a lot of home cooking these days.

4. I switched from cable to DirecTV, which is cheaper and offers a lot more channels for the price than most cable packages. The service has been great -- I'm very happy with it.

5. I don't subscribe to premium channels like HBO. If there's something on a premium channel that I want to watch, I will illegally download it (there are various filesharing sites out there which make this extremely easy to do).

6. I listen to music on Spotify, which is free and offers the albums/songs I want about 99% of the time.

7. I don't own a car. I live in a city that has great public transportation so I use that virtually everywhere. I also belong to a car-sharing service for those (rare) times when I must have a car. The service I belong to is very reasonable -- membership is $25 a year, and it costs something like $9 or $10 an hour to rent the car. Insurance and gas are covered at no extra charge.

8. I don't use credit cards. I pay all my bills on time, to avoid late fees. And I scrutinize my cell phone bill, satellite TV bill, bank statements, etc., very carefully. You'd be surprised at the kind of bogus charges they tack on to your bill when you're not paying attention. In every case when I've been unfairly charged, I've called and complained, and was in getting the charge removed.

9. I go to a lot of free events like no-fee museum nights and free lectures or concerts in the park. I'm lucky enough to live in a big city where things like this are always going on.

10. I don't drink or smoke, but in the past my one expensive vice was drinking a ton of diet soda. But I've switched from soda to homemade iced tea, which is tastier and healthier.

Being broke and having to watch every penny like this sucks ass. But I'm lucky that I live in a time when so many terrific things, like high-quality food and great entertainment options, are available at such a low cost. And I'm developing frugal habits which are likely to stay with me, even when I do have a job and regular income again.

by Anonymousreply 3402/16/2013

I have a siphon hose and get most of the gas for my car from the neighbor's car. They keep telling me that someone is ripping them off, I say, ain't that the shits, they are ripping me off also. Don't worry, I will keep an eye out for these fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 3502/16/2013

You're a paranoid idiot r29.

by Anonymousreply 3602/16/2013

Two things I forgot to mention:

1. I rarely buy books anymore. A huge number of titles are available for free, so I download them on my Kindle. If something's not on Kindle and I really want it, I will buy a cheap used copy (Alibris is a great site for finding used books).

2. And yes, as someone mentioned above, I ditched the home phone. If you have a cell phone, you really don't need a home phone anymore -- unless, of course, you can't get cell phone service in your home. (In my previous building, cell phone coverage was nonexistent, which sucked. Glad I moved!)

by Anonymousreply 3702/16/2013

Another vote of appreciation for r32!

by Anonymousreply 3802/16/2013

R35 Thanks, I am your neighbor and I put a lock on my gas tank.

by Anonymousreply 3902/16/2013

Having no social life does wonders for your finances!

by Anonymousreply 4002/16/2013

R35, I hope you don't live in Texas or have neighbours who are gun-freaks, or you just may find yourself with some extra holes in exciting new locations.

by Anonymousreply 4102/16/2013

Use 1-ply napkins for eating and as toilet paper since they don't clog the system.

by Anonymousreply 4202/16/2013

R40 It just means you can't go to expensive restaurants or bars. Or if you do you have to save up for it and only order one thing or sip one beer at the bar.

If you entertain make it a pot luck. If you go to someone's house bring a home made gift instead of flowers or wine.

If you are lucky you have friends that like to do out door things that don't cost money, like hiking or going for a walk in the park.

by Anonymousreply 4302/16/2013

R34 I like Trader Joe's English Breakfast for iced tea. I use 4 bags per 1/2 gallon. It comes to .17 per pitcher, IIRC, vs. .53 when I used Twinings.

by Anonymousreply 4402/16/2013

Our local library website has gotten so user-friendly I basically use it like Amazon -- "ordering" (reserving) books, CDs, DVDs whenever I think of something I'd like to read, watch or hear. E-book loans are great as well. If your local library doesn't have a title you want, see if you can get it by interlibrary loan.

I have DirecTV and call them every six months to say "Hey, I've been a good customer for a while now -- is there any kind of a break you can give me?" They usually offer premium movie packages, but if you tell the rep you were looking to cut down on your bill rather than get more services, you'll almost always get $10/month cut just for asking.

by Anonymousreply 4502/16/2013

[quote]If you go to someone's house bring a home made gift instead of flowers or wine.

R43 is the "jar of jam" troll.

by Anonymousreply 4602/16/2013

Two great sources for free or low-cost on-line books are openlibrary.org and gutenburg.org

by Anonymousreply 4702/16/2013

[wuote]I have DirecTV and call them every six months to say "Hey, I've been a good customer for a while now -- is there any kind of a break you can give me?" They usually offer premium movie packages, but if you tell the rep you were looking to cut down on your bill rather than get more services, you'll almost always get $10/month cut just for asking.

Must be nice to get that kind of service, cuz I sure as hell can't get that here in my (Canadian) city!

The last time I called my local telco/tv/internet provider and asked for a deal, it was refused on the grounds that I'd already had such a deal (the year before, when I signed on with them). When I politely said that, in that case, I'd have to go to their competitor, I was *literally* told "Oh well, if that's what you want to do, then best of luck to you. Buh-bye."

Fucking cheap cunts!

by Anonymousreply 4802/16/2013

R47 That's gutenberg.org

by Anonymousreply 4902/16/2013

When staying with friends or relatives, bring empty shampoo and conditioner bottles and "top them off" from your host's shampoo and conditioner bottles. They'll never miss it, and you've got full bottles when you get home.

by Anonymousreply 5002/16/2013

Make your own laundry detergent. (for pennies)

by Anonymousreply 5102/16/2013

Don't waste money on casual shoes; save tissue boxes and slip them over your feet for those trips to market.

Always hide money in your sock when giving blow jobs on the West side of town. You may only be charging $3, but since you can't make change you'll earn an extra $2 per milky load!

When coworkers bring sweets into the office, sneeze over everything and you'll have four days worth of desert!

Need a prostate exam? Toss a brick at a bank window and wait for the police!

by Anonymousreply 5202/16/2013

I also use the cancellation threat with service providers. My internet contract with ATT was almost up and I told them that I wanted to cancel because I received a better offer with another provider. I ended up doubling my net speed from 6Mbps to 12Mbps for no extra charge and kept my price at $25/month, well below their $40/month listed rate. It's not luck, a year ago when I signed up the ATT rep told me to just call back in a year and tell them it's too expensive and they'd give me a better deal.

by Anonymousreply 5302/16/2013

[quote]If you go to someone's house bring a home made gift instead of flowers or wine.

A kidney stone is home made. Does that qualify?

by Anonymousreply 5402/16/2013

How very NYC of you OP!

by Anonymousreply 5502/16/2013

[quote]For me, I never buy any condiments, I just use the packets from restaurants. Also, never buy toilet paper, just take it from work or public restrooms.

Yes, stealing really sounds like a great way to save money, poor person.

by Anonymousreply 5602/17/2013

A little five-fingered discount works wonders for buying clothes at high priced stores! and they'll never miss them!

by Anonymousreply 5702/17/2013

OP, regale us with more stories about your scummy family and how you people survive.

by Anonymousreply 5802/17/2013

More tips please...

by Anonymousreply 5911/09/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 6011/09/2013

I instructed the maids to only wash the hems of my kaftans instead of the whole garment. It saves on detergent and water, and keeps my kaftans from fading.

by Anonymousreply 6111/09/2013

The water pressure and droplet delivery delivered by my Whedon shower head is such that you wouldn't know you were saving water and money unless someone told you.

My water rates are still cheap but the sewer treatment bills are skyrocketing due to aging city infrastructure and an EPA compliance order.

Every little bit helps.

by Anonymousreply 6211/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.