Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Paper Moon (Peter Bogdanovich, 1973)

Rewatched it last night and it's not nearly as charming as I remember it from the '70's. Tatum O'Neal's "acting" is perticularly overrated.

Madeleine Kahn, though, was magnificient, especially in the scene when she tries to coerce Tatum roadside back into the convertible.

by Anonymousreply 902/16/2013

*"Particularly" overrated*

by Anonymousreply 102/16/2013

Interesting, OP. I can't say I'm surprised.

The Last Picture Show still holds up pretty well, though.

by Anonymousreply 202/16/2013

Peter Bogdanovich's best movie. My 10 and 12 year old nieces saw it for the first time recently and loved it. I still do too. It holds up great.

by Anonymousreply 302/16/2013

I just dont understand it, Daddy, but this little baby has got to go winky tinky all the time.

by Anonymousreply 402/16/2013

I liked the film because of the period and the cinematography. But the acting is amateurish.

by Anonymousreply 502/16/2013

It's a good movie, but Tatum was alright.

by Anonymousreply 602/16/2013

Ryan's best performance, R5. Tatum was no actress, but she was very natural -- UNLIKE Jodie Foster in the short TV version of the movie. (Chris Connelly played O'Neal's brother in Peyton Place)

by Anonymousreply 702/16/2013

Actually, Tatum was given line readings for every bit of dialogue by the director and her acting coach and simply recited it back. Her gift was for mimicry but she never had an ounce of acting talent, as the rest of her career went on to show.

by Anonymousreply 802/16/2013

Said it is only a paper moon Sailing over a cardboard sea, But it wouldn't be make believe If you believed in me.

Say it is only a canvas sky Hanging over a muslin tree, But it wouldn't be make believe If you believed in me.

Without your love, It's a honky-tonk parade. Without your love, It's a melody played in a penny arcade.

It's a barnum and bailey world, Just as phony as it can be, But it wouldn't be make believe If you believed in me.

Without your love, It's a honky-tonk parade. Without your love, It's a melody played in a penny arcade.

It's a barnum and bailey world Just as phony as it can be, But it wouldn't be make believe If you believed in me.

by Anonymousreply 902/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.