Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Brain zaps without changing my Paxil dosage

I've been on Paxil for fifteen years, and have never altered my dosage substantially. I know what brain zaps are because in my early years I would sometimes forget to take my dose on a given day and I would get them.

Just this last week I've started to get brain zaps again toward the end of the day, yet I've not altered my dosage any in the last several years. Does anyone know why I could be having them? They're not painful but they're disconcerting. I'm having no other symptoms of SSRI discontinuation--no anxiety or depression or OCD or increased libido.

by Anonymousreply 1712/17/2014

I'm sorry, i have no knowledge to reply. But I'm curious what brain zaps mean to you. I am on SSRIs, cymbalta, frequently forget to take dosages, but don't know what brain zaps are.

if you are still on the medication, isn't it prescribed by a psychiatrist or neurologist whom you can see about it?

by Anonymousreply 102/16/2013

r1, this describes what brain zaps are.

by Anonymousreply 202/16/2013

Brain zaps suck. My neurologist switched me from Concerta to Strattera. I got brain zaps daily and my prostate swelled. Side effects went away as soon as I went back to Concerta.

by Anonymousreply 302/16/2013

I had brain zaps too. For one episode.

by Anonymousreply 402/16/2013

I've been on Paxel for about 10 years and if I miss a dose, I have those brain zaps. My poor day was taken of the drug last year and with his dementia his brain zaps would cause his to go into spasms and clench up. It made me so sad, I gave him the drug just to stop those zaps.

Paxel should be taken of the market.

by Anonymousreply 502/16/2013

If you're taking Paxil for depression, you may want to discontinue usage and switch to 2 handfuls of cashews per day. Seriously. Google it--depression is due to nutrient deficiency of niacin and tryptophan. Shocking, I know...

by Anonymousreply 602/16/2013

Idiot

by Anonymousreply 712/17/2014

You know what R6? I read that a couple of years ago and thought, hey, why not? I'm going to go all cashew nuts and niacin and drop the meds.

Well, that didn't work so well and ended with a 51-50. So what may work for a few certainly does not work for all.

by Anonymousreply 812/17/2014

I got these from taking .5mg of Xanax every night (as a sleep aid) for 2 to 3 months. When I stopped the Xanax the brain zaps went away after a week. I went back on Xanax for a week and the brain zaps returned. It took over two weeks for the zaps to go away.

I no longer take Xanax.

by Anonymousreply 912/17/2014

I meant to add that I think the brain zaps were a symptom of withdrawal. My body wanted more Xanax. I think if I had taken more Xanax the brain zaps would have gone away until my body demanded even more. I did not test this theory though.

by Anonymousreply 1012/17/2014

It means they sent you the wrong medication by mistake. Duh. Call them immediately.

by Anonymousreply 1112/17/2014

OP, maybe you could switch to fluoxetine (Prozac): its half-life is so long (like week-long for the active metabolite) that it's the only SSRI whithout any kind of withdrawal.

But then again, if Paxil does the job for you, maybe take half the dose in the morning and half the dose in the evening? But isn't Paxil supposed to be a bit sedating?

by Anonymousreply 1212/17/2014

[quote]I had brain zaps too. For one episode.

TWO episodes, Dorothy. TWO. Apparently, being chronically fatigued for two episodes also affected your ability to count.

by Anonymousreply 1312/17/2014

OP was discontinuing Paxil in February of 2013, R12. Whatever discontinuation effects he had have ended long ago.

by Anonymousreply 1412/17/2014

It's all in your head.

by Anonymousreply 1512/17/2014

[quote]My poor day was taken of the drug last year and with his dementia his brain zaps would cause his to go into spasms and clench up.

Thank you for displaying what a brain zap is, R5.

by Anonymousreply 1612/17/2014

[quote] his brain zaps would cause his to go into spasms and clench up.

The OP said brain zaps were not painful.

by Anonymousreply 1712/17/2014
Need more help? Click Here.