Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Man charged with slapping crying boy, uttering racial slur on Delta flight

An Idaho man has been charged with assaulting a minor after he allegedly uttered a racial slur and slapped a 2-year-old boy who cried on a Delta plane as it began the final descent into Atlanta, court papers show.

Reached by phone Friday, Joe Rickey Hundley of Hayden, Idaho, declined to comment to CNN and referred inquiries to his attorney. The attorney couldn't be immediately reached for comment Friday.

Delta Air Lines is cooperating with the federal investigation into the altercation between two passengers, spokesman Paul Skrbec said. "We apologize for any inconvenience this caused for the passengers onboard," he said.

The boy's mother, Jessica Bennett, 33, of Minnesota told the FBI that she and her son were seated in row 28, seat B, on February 8 on Delta Flight 721 that originated in Minneapolis, according to an FBI agent's affidavit filed in U.S. District Court in Atlanta this week.

The boy began crying because of the altitude change, and his mother tried to soothe him, court papers said.

Then Hundley, who was seated next to the mother and son, allegedly told her to "shut that ('N word') baby up," according to court documents. Hundley then turned around and slapped the 2-year-old in the face with an open hand, which caused the child to scream even louder, the affidavit said.

The boy suffered a scratch below his right eye, court papers said.

Other passengers on the plane assisted Bennett, and one of them heard the slur and witnessed the alleged assault, the affidavit said. The plane landed at Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson International.

The charge of simple assault on someone under age 16 carries a prison sentence of one year, court papers said.

In 2007, Hundley pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor assault charge filed in Virginia, according to court records.

by Anonymousreply 9302/19/2013

We heard!

by Anonymousreply 202/16/2013

Hundley = BASTARD

by Anonymousreply 402/16/2013

R3 don't you mean "uncle tom"? Let me guess. Republican racist assholes have accepted you (to your face) in the South and you are giddy. You're a liar, my dear. Newsflash: Modern Republicanism is all but based on bigotry. Wake the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 502/16/2013

R3? You do know that right wingers and tea baggers hate us, right? Moron.

by Anonymousreply 602/16/2013

related thread from earlier today

by Anonymousreply 902/16/2013

R8 Try reading a story before posting...your response MIGHT be taken seriously. Key word 'MIGHT'.

by Anonymousreply 1002/16/2013

R7 is right r3 is a ringer, I fell for it. And r8 how in hell can you even say such a thing?

by Anonymousreply 1102/16/2013

Thanks R7 for calling that lying asshole out.

by Anonymousreply 1202/16/2013

This is actually the third thread about this story.

by Anonymousreply 1402/16/2013

This is a racist thread by both whites and blacks.

by Anonymousreply 1502/16/2013

F&F for R8

by Anonymousreply 1602/16/2013

r3 is completely full of shit.

Seriously. Completely.

by Anonymousreply 1702/16/2013

Yes, R20 and those same Democrats switched over to the Republican party when the Democrats went for civil rights. Facts are hard to face sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 2102/16/2013

It has been announced that a mini-series is being developed based on this experience. Developed by Jon Robin Baitz it is called "The Slap" and focuses on the fallout and aftermath after the slap.

by Anonymousreply 2202/16/2013

It's too bad the Diffrent Strokes cast is all dead. These are the roles they were born to play. Mr. Drummond slapping Arnold on the plane while Mrs. Garrett faints in the background.

by Anonymousreply 2302/16/2013

Hundley looks like a mean older Martin Short.

by Anonymousreply 2402/16/2013

[quote]KKK. Facts are hard to face sometimes.

The Tea Party supports racial oppression and inequality, it is a modern day KKK without the white robes, but who disguise themselves behind shadowy internet walls avoiding their multi-million dollar financial disclosure, preying on the ignorant, uneducated and uninformed which is the exact same logic the KKK used in recruiting poor farmers and rural white families throughout the South in building Klan membership.  Many of the teabaggers’ families had roots in the KKK and have continued from one generation to the next.

by Anonymousreply 2502/16/2013

r3 as another articulate Black American I can say that yes, there is racism in the North too however I cannot say that Republicans are in any way trust worthy with my civil liberties or my human rights, not by a long shot. Chances are that man that slapped that baby is an intolerant racist right winger. You and Uncle Ruckus can sip on your sweet tea and praise White Jesus down in the South while they hate you to your face instead of behind your back. Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 2602/16/2013

[quote]Democrat party is based on all races

Fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 2802/16/2013

I would have a hard time not slapping the shit out of this racist douchebag. I'm surprised nobody beat the shit out of him.

That son of a bitch should have been pummeled on site.

by Anonymousreply 2902/16/2013

The rage!

by Anonymousreply 3002/16/2013

R27/R31 is a racist republican conservative douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 3202/16/2013

R20 and idiots like him are stuck in the past. Today, can you even imagine a KKK member belonging to the Democratic party? Of course not. They're ALL republicans now. Yes, the Democratic party was racist in the past. But the Republican party opened its doors to the racists during the civil rights battles of the 60s, and the "Southern Strategy" of the 70s and 80s.

Most racists are Republicans these days. And most Republicans are racists these days (or at least not bothered by racism enough to leave the party and become independent).

It's hilarious to watch these idiots try to say Democrats are the racists, when it's Republicans who cater to racists on a daily basis, both overtly and through thinly veiled coded language.

Today's Republican party is the party of racists, sexists, homophobes, and xenophobes. Trying to blame this on Democrats is beyond ridiculous, it's a flat out lie.

But then, Republicans/Conservatives LOVE to blame others for what they themselves are guilty of. They have the most bizarre case of mass pathological projection ever witnessed by humanity.

by Anonymousreply 3302/16/2013

Children, particularly infants, are difficult on airplanes. Their little ears are very sensitive to pressure changes. Try flying through Salt Lake City sometime... Inbound you'll suffer with at least a dozen screaming-at-the-top-of-their-lungs babies as the plane lands, and vice-versa on the way out. Oh Delta, why did you make SLC a hub? Why can't the airline or the airplane manufacturer do a better job of pressurizing the cabin?

What this man did was horrible, made worse by adding the racial slurs. He deserves to be prosecuted, and I hope they throw the book at him. Unfortunately, putting him in jail is akin to sending him to crime school. Perhaps a hefty fine and a permanent ban on flying? If you don't know how to act on an airplane, you shouldn't be allowed on one.

by Anonymousreply 3402/16/2013

I'm surprised more people are not commenting on the fact that an adult slapped a child.

The racial slur is just above and beyond stupid. Could this be labelled a hate crime?

This whole thing reminds me of the best scene from In the Heat of the Night.

by Anonymousreply 3502/16/2013

Here's another mind-blower... Democrats used to be conservative & racist... and Republicans used to be "progressive". From Lincoln, to Teddy Roosevelt, to Eisenhower... there were certainly liberal and progressive Republicans.

They are not static entities, the same throughout all of time.

Democrats are moderate centrists at the moment, and Republicans are whacked-out fringe extremist right-wing nut-jobs. There really is no leftist/progressive party in the United States, though some individual Democrats come close.

by Anonymousreply 3602/16/2013

Conservative republicans are experts on projection. That's why they scream "racist" at Democrats. They are projecting their own faults onto others.

by Anonymousreply 3702/16/2013

"Children, particularly infants, are difficult on airplanes."

Solution: No person under age 10 on flights unless family emergency reasons.

by Anonymousreply 3802/16/2013

Jon Robin Baitz is here copying all these comments to use for his upcoming screenplay "The Slap" based on this incident.

Keep em coming!

Great dialogue for the characters.

by Anonymousreply 3902/16/2013

[quote]Children, particularly infants, are difficult on airplanes. ....

Just stop there. There is no reason to go into how children behave on planes, or in shopping malls, or anywhere. That abuser is an ADULT - and adult who is bigger, stronger, in a more powerful position that a child. HE should know how to restrain himself. Period.

by Anonymousreply 4002/16/2013

[quote]Solution: No person under age 10 on flights unless family emergency reasons.

And while we're at it we can forbid people who talk to much, people who might get ill or have bad gas, people who wear too much perfume, people who are phobic and might have panic attacks, people who drink too much and cause a scene....

Or perhaps banning an entire segment of customers based on the behavior of a few isn't really practical or fair..

All of this is moot, however, because this incident was NOT the child's fault. FFS. This was about a VIOLENT adult racist douchebag who couldn't contain himself. Do NOT try and angle this against the kid- or the Mom for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 4102/16/2013

Why DO airlines serve alcohol? Many people sit around at the bar if their flight is delayed or if they're early, so they might have already had a few drinks before climbing on a plane and ordering a few more.

by Anonymousreply 4202/16/2013

R40, did you read past my first sentence?

by Anonymousreply 4302/16/2013

[quote]Why DO airlines serve alcohol?

At one time it was considered a way to help calm people down, especially when public flights were new and most people were quite nervous getting onto planes.

by Anonymousreply 4402/16/2013

Yes I did r43. And I don't see the point in bringing up how children or babies act on planes in this context. It's just not the kid's fault he got slapped by some random douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 4502/16/2013

Paul Lynde is alive and well!

by Anonymousreply 4602/16/2013

R13 was the genius behind the Hillary-Panda video.

You guys are nothing if not consistent when it comes to your incredibly lame humor.

by Anonymousreply 4702/16/2013

[quote]Democrats started the KKK. Facts are hard to face sometimes.

They also sponsored every civil rights bill for the last 50-60 years. Those Dixiecrats all became Republicans a generation ago.

by Anonymousreply 4802/16/2013

I'm embarrassed for you, R20.

Yes, I'm sure the likes of Strom Thurmond switched to the Republican party because he was outraged by that fact about the Democratic Party.

Sweetheart, you had to go back that far knowing full-well that for the last 50 years, we all know which party is associated with vilifying minority groups.

by Anonymousreply 4902/16/2013

I feel sorry for the Mom. Maybe the baby started crying because they were sitting next to a drunken, volatile old creep. Would not want to be stuck next to Joe Rickey in any circumstance.

by Anonymousreply 5002/16/2013

I don't know what I would have done if I had been on that flight and witnessed this. Most people hesitate to insert themselves into volatile situations. I wish I were like that. I probably would have slugged the old man.

There is no getting around the fact that this man committed a reprehensible crime. And it's really too bad that people feel comfortable with calling humans names like "ape." What the fuck is wrong with people?

by Anonymousreply 5102/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 5302/16/2013

R52 is of course referring to what's in R31's head as well as his own.

by Anonymousreply 5402/16/2013

Strange how rightwads hurl racism at Democratic people, yet the Republican'ts are the racists.

by Anonymousreply 5502/16/2013

Then you obviously have reading comprehension difficulties, R40. What part of "What this man did was horrible, made worse by adding the racial slurs. He deserves to be prosecuted, and I hope they throw the book at him." is blaming the child? What part of asking why airplane manufacturers don't want to spend the money to make cabins pressure-stable is blaming the child?

by Anonymousreply 5602/16/2013

For the record, the new 787 Dreamliner is more pressure stable (and more humidity-stable as well).

Too bad about the battery problems.

by Anonymousreply 5702/16/2013

I just read the Smoking Gun article about the incident. We've all been missing an important part. The mother is white and the baby is adopted. Cute, cute mixed race kid. You know that that old coot was sitting in that seat stewing for the entire two hour flight about the white woman sitting next to him who deigned to have sex with a black man. That is what was really setting the bastard off, not the kid's crying.

by Anonymousreply 5802/16/2013

Wow, interesting twist, R58. And you are correct.

by Anonymousreply 5902/16/2013

I'm an angry person, so if I'd seen the old racist slap the kid, I would have just killed him. Seriously, I would have killed him.

by Anonymousreply 6002/16/2013

This is genuinely terrible. It's hard to believe people like that really exist.

On the otherk ahnd... sorry I'm typin

by Anonymousreply 6102/16/2013

I think you're right, R58.

by Anonymousreply 6202/16/2013

I'm pretty sure I'm right. I've seen it in my family. My deceased father liked to think of himself as a fair-minded person who supported civil rights, etc., but when it came to his daughter (me) and black men he really became unhinged.

I had a high school friend who was black and I was forbidden from visiting her home because she had a brother who was several years older. Her brother actually happened to work at the same place as my dad and I'd always heard him speak highly of him (good worker, nice guy). I was shocked when I learned about my father's hidden and ugly attitudes. I started to get lectures from both of my parents about sheep staying on their side of the fence and black men's unrestrainable sexual impulses. I'm not kidding at all.

by Anonymousreply 6302/16/2013

Well, R58/R63, I always say that The Civil Rights Act changed laws but it didn't change attitudes. And to be honest, I don't think we can expect a significant change in attitudes in less than 50 years when these attitudes have been immersed into American culture for 4 of 5 centuries. I hope that someday race, gender, sexual orientation, and other difference won't matter, but I don't think any of us will live to see that day.

by Anonymousreply 6402/16/2013

Where did I say I blamed the kid? Or mother? I don't.

by Anonymousreply 6502/17/2013

Maybe your dad knew something about the brother that he didn't want to share with you, R63. Especially if the work place was an 'old boys' club' where men would swap stories about how they treat women and stuff. Lots of men will stand up for their friends like crazy, until there's a chance those friends will ask out their sister or daughter. Men are pigs, regardless of race, and they're usually fine with each other being pigs, until it hits a little too close to home.

It's so weird to think, though, that it was just a few decades ago that people would go crazy over a protestant marrying a catholic, and stuff like that. It was only a little over a hundred years ago that 'American' families would frown on recent Irish or German settlers contributing to the family bloodline with their daughters.

by Anonymousreply 6602/17/2013

Can any of you soulless conservatives consider for one minute that there are plenty of whites that don't like blacks?

Oh....never mind

by Anonymousreply 6902/17/2013

You're fired! ( You fucking racist piece of shit asshole )

by Anonymousreply 7002/17/2013

The man should be executed.

by Anonymousreply 7302/17/2013

He was arrested in 2007 for fighting with a girlfriend and concealed weapon.

Or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 7402/17/2013

Ugh... she had the kid on her lap because she was too cheap to buy a second ticket. Pics show the kid is obviously too big for that, the airline shouldn't have allowed it. Airplane flights are like train cars to Dachau as it is without idiots like this woman making it worse.

And no, that doesn't give the man the right to hit the kid, so STFU.

by Anonymousreply 7502/17/2013

Well, boys, what are we to do about these millions of unstable men overreacting day in day out?

by Anonymousreply 7602/17/2013

[quote]You know that that old coot was sitting in that seat stewing for the entire two hour flight about the white woman sitting next to him who deigned to have sex with a black man. That is what was really setting the bastard off, not the kid's crying.

GASP! You mean to say this was racially motivated?

by Anonymousreply 7702/18/2013

[quote]Airplane flights are like train cars to Dachau as it is without idiots like this woman making it worse. ...

And you know this from your experience in Dachau?

I wasn't aware Delta had been forced these people onto the plane into the the size of a cattle car and forced to stand for hours or even days in their own shit and urine with no food or water.

Or perhaps they didn't notice the crying babies much ?

Or perhaps you can go fuck yourself with your gross overstatement and quite comparing petty inconveniences to a fucking holocaust.

by Anonymousreply 7802/18/2013

Yep, r67. A white man slaps a black baby because of all of the whitey-hating blacks that the P.C., race-card playing, screaming racism screaming, blah blah blah liberals refuse to acknowledge are out there just itching to slap white babies. Thank god some people are willing to say what everyone else is only thinking!

by Anonymousreply 7902/18/2013

R79, no point in arguing with crazy.

by Anonymousreply 8002/18/2013

[quote]Maybe your dad knew something about the brother that he didn't want to share with you, [R63]. Especially if the work place was an 'old boys' club' where men would swap stories about how they treat women and stuff

Unlikely since it was a factory work setting where there was little time for conversations and too much ambient noise to hear them. Interaction was pretty limited. In any case, I assure you that would never have happened if my friend and her brother were white. The discussions my parents had subsequent to that were about black men.

by Anonymousreply 8102/18/2013

Straight white men have been in fear and awe of the black dick since forever.

They are also very good at projection.

by Anonymousreply 8202/18/2013

All people, male or female have the potential for projection. It's a human frailty, not just for straight, white men. We all do it at times, honey.

by Anonymousreply 8302/18/2013

We were discussing a particular scenario here, R83, honey.

by Anonymousreply 8402/18/2013

R85 is a Romney. Mormons can say that they got rid of that doctrine about how God cursed Cain's descendants by marking them with darker skin... but they still believe it.

To see how sick it really gets with them, Google how the elders go into a closet with teens of a certain age to anoint their genitals with magic oils. LOL

by Anonymousreply 8602/18/2013

It's primal, R63. Humans are programmed to want to pass on our own traits. Parents see their kids taking on a partner who is radically different and it sparks an instinctual response.

It often works the same way with black parents when their kids date whites. It often works the same way between whites where the potential mate's background is different enough that there is substantial variation in facial features and other traits.

I'm not saying that it isn't something that can't be overcome. Certainly many parents do. But to perhaps the best way to get beyond it is to acknowledge the instinctual basis of this reaction.

by Anonymousreply 8702/18/2013

R87 link please? Or is this just how you "feel".

by Anonymousreply 8802/18/2013

R8 and R89 have met white Shanequin'shias before? Remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 9002/18/2013

Glad the racist fucker got fired. Now if someone would slap the shit out of him and R91.

by Anonymousreply 9202/19/2013

Chocolate rain... A cracker smacks a baby on a plane... Chocolate rain!

by Anonymousreply 9302/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!