Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

WTA Tennis Players Who Support Homophobia

Why does the WTA Tour continue to hold tournaments year after year in Middle Eastern countries like Qatar and the UAE (Dubai) were homosexuality is illegal and is punishable with physical torture and the DEATH PENALTY?? Samantha Stosur, Lisa Raymond and other lesbian players who appear in these draws should be ASHAMED of themselves. How little self-respect do these women have? Are these women willing to sell their souls and their dignity just for the money or are players like Samantha Stosur really that incredibly ignorant that they have no idea the damage that they are doing to themselves, their fans and their own community? By turning the other cheek and pretending like these crimes against humanity aren't happening, their presence in these events helps mask the torture and attacks on human dignity that occurs in these 2 countries.

by Anonymousreply 1510/16/2013

I am against homophobia. Although I am a heterosexual, I stand in solidarity with my lesbian players.

by Anonymousreply 102/16/2013

Pam, you LOVE homophobia. I read in your book that you were going to introduce Martina to the right guy so she could turn herself around.

by Anonymousreply 202/16/2013

Good question, OP.

Then there's the gender-apartheid in those countries as well. These countries should be sanctioned by the UN. They should be international pariahs, as was South Africa under apartheid.

by Anonymousreply 402/16/2013

The bigger question is: why are you even watching WTA in the first place? The WTA is a fucking joke. The players can't serve, groan so much you get a headache, double faults more than you can count, are inconsistent as shit, and can't play five sets like the guys.

by Anonymousreply 502/16/2013

They can and used to play five sets, ignoramus R5. In fact, before 1984, the men played 3 sets until the quarter finals at the US Open. Five sets are fucking ridiculous and boring 99% of the time.

by Anonymousreply 602/16/2013

Women only played five sets at the year-end tour championships for about five years on the 80s

by Anonymousreply 702/16/2013

I think they do it to get paid. Dubai is a fairly big payday for a non-Slam event, and the top players may even get some appearance money.

I'm sure they just put it in the back of their minds, or divide the tournament and its organizers from the country in their head, or more likely don't give a fuck.

The U.S. has 40 or so states where gay marriage is illegal, yet a lot of gays live in those states or travel to those states and spend money in those states. Why are those people supporting homophobia? I realize it's a lesser sort of homophobia, but still.

by Anonymousreply 802/16/2013

They also played 5 sets a gazillion years ago at Wimbledon and other big tourneys.

by Anonymousreply 902/16/2013

I would.

Why not take their money? Samantha Stosur boycotting some random Qatar game won't change anything.

by Anonymousreply 1002/16/2013

Hey folks, Pammie here. It may not be my PLACE to comment because as you know I'm a red-blooded American gal who loves the PEEN. In fact, after an exhausting day of Pammentating in the booth, I'll hit the Ladies LOCKER ROOM, step into a steamy hot shower to gingerly caress my NETHER REGIONS, while dreaming of those hot tennis studs like Roger Federer, Andy Murray, and Sam Stosur. Uh -- oops, I mean Sam QUERREY, of course! Boy, that was a real LIP-SLIP!

Speaking of lip-slips, did I ever tell you about the time I was with good ol' Rosie Casals in the locker room in the old SLIMS event in Chicago? She asked me if I knew what the term "SAPPHIC" meant. Met the ROSEBUD up close and personal that day! But I digress...

To OPs point, the tour is always evolving in it's attitude towards LESBIANS. Why, fifteen years ago, you had Conchita Martinez cavorting nude in the locker room with her RUBYFRUIT JUNGLE on display. Nowadays, gals like SHARAPOVA have a neat and tidy LANDING STRIP. Now that's evolution. Oh, of course I'm not implying that Maria likes the ladysex. No, no, she's into the DOODS, just like yours truly!

by Anonymousreply 1102/16/2013

I disagree with R10.

Lots of athletes, particularly tennis players, boycotted South Africa because of apartheid. The more international pressure that mounted, the more it left ot at least some change.

Personally, I think these women are too stupid to know what's going on around them and because they have extra security they don't realize the danger. More experienced people in the "tennis world" like Navratilova and King should be speaking out.

by Anonymousreply 1202/16/2013

Tournaments played in Dubai and Doha offer ridiculous amounts of money to top players. That will trump any convictions. There's your answer.

by Anonymousreply 1302/16/2013

[quote]The bigger question is: why are you even watching WTA in the first place?

Because he feels like it, puta. What are you gonna do about in anyway, Mary? Flounce around in front of his TV so he can't?

by Anonymousreply 1402/16/2013

Money always talks and so does the contracts all players sign. Sometimes the struggling player signs a contract before making it big that they do not like but must fulfil.

by Anonymousreply 1510/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.