Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Grand Hotel on TCM right now.

Have never seen it before. Have so many wonderful things about it, and ave been totally giddy with anticipation all day waiting to see this (yes, MARY!). Do Crawford and Garbo share any scenes? Did they get along off camera? Did Joan fuck Wallace Beery or one of the Barrymores? There's so much I want to know about the behind the scenes action of this feature. So far, even though nothing much has happened, I'm finding the directing and performances quite compelling. Garbo is ridiculously mesmerising, if that makes any sense.

by Anonymousreply 2909/20/2013

I love the kaleidoscopesque shot of the lobby floor from floors above.

by Anonymousreply 102/15/2013

It's a great film. So far, it's the only film to only win Best Picture and that's it. ARGO could very well be the next, but ARGO was nominated for 7 Oscars. GRAND HOTEL only had that one nomination, which it won.

by Anonymousreply 202/15/2013

You want me to hit....YOU!

by Anonymousreply 302/15/2013

Did they give art direction awards back then because the art direction and set design are breathtaking.

by Anonymousreply 402/15/2013

In my past life, I was a set designer.

by Anonymousreply 502/15/2013

I prefered the JC character over the GG character in this. Movie was good though.

by Anonymousreply 602/15/2013

It's been years since I've seen it but I love that movie. Wasn't Crawford gorgeous when she was young?

by Anonymousreply 702/15/2013

Yeah, R4, the winner was TRANSATLANTIC, and the other two nominees were ARROWSMITH and some French film À NOUS LA LIBERTÉ.

by Anonymousreply 802/15/2013

I love the Pauline Kael review of Crawford's performance:

[quote]As a secretary working in the hotel, there is a startlingly sexy minx named Joan Crawford, who bears only a slight resemblance to the later zombie of that name; at about 26 also, she still connected with other actors, and her scenes with Lionel Barrymore (in one of his rare likable performances: he's a dying man spending his life savings on a last fling) show a real rapport.

by Anonymousreply 902/15/2013

GG is over-the-top

by Anonymousreply 1002/15/2013

I watched it in great anticipation for the first time when it was on TCM a couple of months ago. I think I even started a thread on it then.

I was pretty disappointed. After a roaring good opening with those amazing circular camera shots, the story just bogs down and never picks up.

Garbo is indeed at first mesmerizing but becomes ponderous and even ridiculous in her whining and wailing. Joan, in comparison, feels remarkably modern and sexy, even now.

I'd also just recently seen Dinner at Eight on TCM for the first time. Now, that one still holds up! And Beery and the two Barrymore brothers, who are all in both films, are so much better in Dinner at Eight.

by Anonymousreply 1102/15/2013

It was one of the first big MGM films with an "all star cast." They had done "Revues" before but this had a story. Crawford held her own with some of the greatest actors of the day. She is wonderful in this.

by Anonymousreply 1202/15/2013

[quote]I'm finding the directing and performances quite compelling.

Yet, you're on DL posting about it.

by Anonymousreply 1302/15/2013

I absolutely agree with R6 & R7!!!!

Yes I always thought that the Crawford character was much more entertaining and interesting than the Garbo character.

And YES Crawford was achingly beautiful then, perfection.

by Anonymousreply 1402/15/2013

The young Joan Crawford was utterly in awe of Garbo and was devastated that she didn't get to play a single scene with her idol. Apparently, she spent many hours hiding out on the set behind the scenes watching Garbo emote.

If only Joan knew how much better and how timeless and enduring her performance is compared to Garbo and all her silly mannerisms!

by Anonymousreply 1502/15/2013

Agreed, Joan is terrific. Garbo at first was mesmerizing, but she's now working my last nerve with her emoting.

by Anonymousreply 1602/15/2013

Joan Crawford walked away with this film. Her performance is still very modern, and she was gorgeous when she was young.

by Anonymousreply 1702/15/2013

Oh yeah. So now you all love me!!

by Anonymousreply 1802/15/2013

Gotta give Joan credit- she had already been in films about 10 years at this point (including silents),and she'd go on making movies for another 38 years. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 1902/15/2013

To be fair to Garbo, her character was supposed to be over-the-top.

by Anonymousreply 2002/15/2013

"Mommie Dearest" is on Sundance.

by Anonymousreply 2102/15/2013

There's a liquor store at the corner, r21.

by Anonymousreply 2202/15/2013

R21 Trust you to know where to find the booze and the boys!

by Anonymousreply 2302/15/2013

Just saw this. Garbo is is indeed absolutely over the top, even for the neurotic she is playing. This is the first time I've seen her in anything, does she ever get better or is she just one of those Hollywood legends that photographed well?

I mean even the less-than-talented Dietrich got better at her craft, and always oozed charisma anyway.

Joan steals the movie. I'm not sure if she meant to, but she really does. It's no wonder this was the launching pad of her career. So naturalistic, and modern.

Garbo looks and acts like a drag queen in comparison. Far too post-silent a performance.

by Anonymousreply 2409/15/2013

The idea of the tall, broad-shouldered, almost manly Garbo as a ballerina is pretty ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 2509/15/2013

Stilted dialogue, and Garbo was awful. Never got the obsession over her. Other than a photogenic face, she couldn't really act; her mannerisms were a throwback to the silent era in which she started. Can't stand her.

by Anonymousreply 2609/15/2013

"...some French film À NOUS LA LIBERTÉ."

"Some French film" is still respected as a classic and enjoyed anew by each generation, and Grand Hotel looks creakier as the years pass and show it as the commercial hack work it is.

by Anonymousreply 2709/15/2013

[quote]Joan steals the movie. I'm not sure if she meant to, but she really does. It's no wonder this was the launching pad of her career.

Crawford was already a star, her career launching pad was in Dancing Daughters in 1928 (silent).

by Anonymousreply 2809/15/2013

R28, okay maybe not launching pad. But I think this is the film that got people to take her more seriously. This is what got her the excellent "Rain", I'd imagine.

by Anonymousreply 2909/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!