Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do You Outgrow Mouth Ulcers?

I used to get painful ones in grade school.

Then their frequency seemed to slow and for a few decades, I rarely had an ulcer -- years would pass between them.

Now I seem to get one every few months. I just turned 50.

When are these irritating mouth sores going to quit?

by Anonymousreply 2702/17/2013

You have digestive problems, usually due to walnut or other allergies.

by Anonymousreply 102/15/2013

No, you never outgrow them 60 y/o eldergay and I have a couple right now.

I've been told they are stress related.

by Anonymousreply 202/15/2013

Have you considered consulting a medical professional?

by Anonymousreply 302/15/2013

Ulcers??? Don't you mean garden variety canker sores?

by Anonymousreply 402/15/2013

I would get canker sores, but then I read they could be caused by vitamin b deficiency. I took B+C vitamin and didn't have them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 502/15/2013

What about eating citrus and spice gumdrops?

by Anonymousreply 602/15/2013

Supposedly doctors still don't know why people get them. I had them growing up. Don't tend to get them any more. You have my sympathy. They're no fun.

Dab Cream of Tartar on it and leave it. It will burn slightly, but only for a moment. Not sure how it works chemically, but it's an old home remedy that is truly effective. It makes them heal right up.

by Anonymousreply 702/15/2013

When you change your diet & stop eating foods that create them in the first place

by Anonymousreply 802/15/2013

The ulcers can be related to food allergies. When you have them avoid acidic foods--no citrus! When I got them from my braces irritating my mouth the orthodontist's remedy was Gly-oxide which is available at most pharmacies. It worked like a charm...

by Anonymousreply 902/15/2013

OP, are you afraid to give oral because of your open sores?

by Anonymousreply 1002/15/2013

op = mouth breather

by Anonymousreply 1102/15/2013

Suck on mandarin orange sections.

by Anonymousreply 1202/15/2013

I use alum on the rare occasion that I get a mouth ulcer. It'll make your mouth water for a short time after application, but the ulcer will be gone in a day or two.

by Anonymousreply 1302/15/2013

OP, I read an article that said sodium laurel sulfate, a harsh cleanser found in most toothpastes can cause it. I switched to Sensodyne and stopped getting them. ( Check the ingredients, some of their varieties have it)

by Anonymousreply 1402/16/2013

I am careful about the amount of acidic food I eat. I can eat some citrus fruit, but not every day.

One thing I have found to be helpful is dissolving baking soda in water and using it to rinse out my mouth after meals. I also drink a glass of baking soda dissolved in water every day

by Anonymousreply 1502/16/2013

At the first sign of a canker, i take L-lycine. gone almost in half a day or over night. It encourages healing. Alum and tartar shrink the ulcer. Cankers have various causes, food alergies, intake of foods high in Argonine (nuts) and of course stress.

by Anonymousreply 1602/16/2013

I used to get them all the time as a kid. When I started smoking I never had them, then years later when I quit smoking I got them again big time! Very strange. The non SLS toothpastes do help ( though hard to find) I use G-U-M Paorex

by Anonymousreply 1702/16/2013

I never had them until I quit smoking. Now I get them a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1802/16/2013

I think it may be citrus.

This is grapefruit season, and I usually have a grapefruit a day when they have my favorite Texas Ruby Reds at the grocery.

I'm not currently eating walnuts, and my stress level is low (retired), so I'm going to put the blame on those grapefruit.

Thanks for sharing what you know, DLers.

by Anonymousreply 1902/16/2013

gargle with hydrogen peroxide once a day, You will never get them again.

by Anonymousreply 2002/16/2013

Check your toothpaste for Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. This is also the chemical used in many household cleaning items (such as stripping wax from floors) I changed my toothpaste to one that does not contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate have not had any canker sores to speak of. When I used to get them (as someone else mentioned) I would take Lysine which seems to make them heal faster.

by Anonymousreply 2102/16/2013

They can also be related to inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's and ulcerative colitis. I was like some others on this thread; I never got them when I smoked. When I quit, I started to get them again. Eventually I got really sick and was diagnosed with colitis. Nicotine is protective against u.c. which is why I didn't get canker sores when I smoked. If anybody has canker sores and g.i. trouble, please see a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 2202/16/2013

I had them because I was taking too much of a particular prescription medication. When I halved the dose, no more mouth sores.

by Anonymousreply 2302/16/2013

I used to get them all the time when I was a kid, but now only get them when I accidentally bite the inside of my mouth while chewing. I think most of them are caused by abrasions, and since the mouth is full of germs, those cuts get infected easily and cause canker sores.

by Anonymousreply 2402/16/2013

I bet they are from stress...I never get them but I had an extremely stressful day on Friday and I got one.

by Anonymousreply 2502/17/2013

In my day they were called Herpes.

You Millenials are so darn plucky and clever!

by Anonymousreply 2602/17/2013

My whole family suffered from them. I used to get them terribly, but I spotted the problem and now never get them. However, what worked for me won't work for everyone. That's the way with dermatological problems.

I asked my dentist who said that anything that stresses the tissue inside the mouth could be the cause.

I eliminated hard candy (immediate relief), limited hard foods such as peanuts, popcorn, and potato chips -- anything that might cause a slight irritation in the mouth. Smoking may be a factor.

The way I confirmed the cause for me was when I had surgery and a tube down by throat, I had a terrible outbreak located in my throat. I also had trouble with braces as someone else mentioned.

I suspect people who blame a walnut allergy may have had problems with the hardness of them damaging the tissue, but it could be an allergy.

When ever I get the feeling that one is starting, I can usually pinpoint what food the day before may have started it -- real tortilla chips from a restaurant are really bad. I stop all hard foods immediately, and I can usually ward off the sore(s) developing.

I also think getting my body's acid/alkaline levels out of whack may do it.

Those of you who got them when you stopped smoking. Did you do anything to your mouth to help quell the desire? Toothpicks, hard candy, etc?

My mother got them very bad when she had chemotherapy.

by Anonymousreply 2702/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!