Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I just spent a $132.75 at Whole Foods for a Weekend's Worth of Groceries

I got halibut, lump crab, turkey chili, and a nice roast. and some of those awesome peanut butter cookies and a bottle of wine. I could carry it out in one bag. I knew that it was going to be cheap, but I was like whoa when I saw the total.

How much have you ever spent at Whole Foods?

by Anonymousreply 10502/18/2013

You sound pretentious as fuck OP.

by Anonymousreply 102/15/2013

You must have gotten past sell bys and a shit wine

by Anonymousreply 202/15/2013

[quote]How much have you ever spent at Whole Foods?

Why would I drive 200 miles RT to shop at a grocery store?

by Anonymousreply 302/15/2013

For a weekend? You got off cheap. I spent three hundred last weekend.

by Anonymousreply 402/15/2013

I've given up Whole Foods after John Mackey's likening Obama to Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 502/15/2013

I once got some pricey fish there and it was totally not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 602/15/2013

A few months ago, I got a jar of vegan beef bouillon & a jar of vegan chicken bouillon, on sale for just under $5 each -- only place I could find it without having to order online & pay for shipping.

Other than that, I haven't been there in years. I used to go occasionally for a bag of miniature wholewheat pita breads, which cost $2.99. Do they still have those, OP? Nice for snacks or appetizers, stuffed with melted cheese or crab salad, etc.

by Anonymousreply 702/15/2013

Bought any Lourdes water?

by Anonymousreply 802/15/2013

(supe = superstitious)

by Anonymousreply 902/15/2013

Is it really that great, or is it trendy hype?

Unless each store has locally sourced meat and produce, how are they any different than an average grocery store?

I assume all the shelves are filled with foodie fetishes like gourmet salt and $100 EVOO.

by Anonymousreply 1002/15/2013

For a weekend? I thought at first it was "week." Do you live in NYC or something?

by Anonymousreply 1102/15/2013

A fool and his money are soon parted.

by Anonymousreply 1202/15/2013

Lies, lies. All lies

by Anonymousreply 1302/15/2013

[quote] I just spent a $132.75 at Whole Foods for a Weekend's Worth of Groceries I got halibut, lump crab, turkey chili, and a nice roast. and some of those awesome peanut butter cookies and a bottle of wine. I could carry it out in one bag. I knew that it was going to be cheap, but I was like whoa when I saw the total.

Well, I just spent $120 at my local shops for a WEEK'S worth of groceries, petrol for the week, the weekend newspapers, plus lunch.

by Anonymousreply 1402/15/2013

Nothing. I really have started thinking their stuff is CRAP. Except for the challah. Delicious. I bought a pumpkin pie there for Thanksgiving that was so bitter and odd-tasting I had to throw it out. I don't go there any more. Central Market is much better.

by Anonymousreply 1502/15/2013

Bought fish there that turned out to be rotten.

by Anonymousreply 1602/15/2013

That's why Whole Foods is not called Whole Paycheck for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 1702/15/2013

I went to King's and spent about $60 for a month's worth of food.

by Anonymousreply 1802/15/2013

When I go to the cheaper stores gang members pick fights with me or slam their carts into mine. Whole Foods is worth the money to get out of shopping alive.

by Anonymousreply 1902/15/2013

I hate Whole Foods. I prefer the butcher in my local grocery - fresher food and lower prices.

by Anonymousreply 2002/15/2013

I was in a Whole Foods a couple weeks ago and overheard some woman say to her friend that she went crazy recently in that store, spending over $1000, mostly impulse buys in the personal care/health section. She may have been exaggerating, but it's possible when you look at some of the price points there. I mean, you can spend $32 on a bottle of maple syrup there if you want, so...

I shop there for very specific items and deals can be had if you shop sale items and use coupons.

I don't mind paying for a luxury item here and there if it's good. I've been known to buy $9 per stick butter at WF--it's Normandy butter and a real obsession of mine, so I don't feel overly raped (except for the fact that I could buy Normandy butter in a Monoprix in Paris for a couple of U.S. dollars, but that's all about location).

by Anonymousreply 2102/15/2013

Anybody that shops at Whole Foods and calls themselves a liberal is an insult to liberals. Mackey is just as vile as the Walton family, the difference is is that most of you would not be caught dead at Wal Mart. Giving up Whole Foods for me was painful. I love it, but I will nut support a nutter who says climate change is a good thing & the President is a fascist.

by Anonymousreply 2202/15/2013

R19 Once you get to know them the Cholos are actually very sensitive and will make you some excellent tortilla soup if you have a cold.

by Anonymousreply 2302/15/2013

I live in a fairly small city with 3 ordinary supermarkets besides the Walmart Supercenter, and I usually spend just a little over 100 bucks per week for food. I buy the advertised specials from all the circulars, especially meat which is not good at Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 2402/15/2013

I haven't been to one in years. I used to buy a lot of Redwood Farms goat milk yogurt there, back when I thought nothing of spending close to $6 for a quart. Now I just make my own kefir from regular milk. Though I cook most of my food, I can no longer afford to buy organic and don't really care. Their prices on supplements and beauty items are ridiculous - I just order from Swanson or Dr. Vita for half the price.

by Anonymousreply 2502/15/2013

Did OP mean he knew it wasN'T going to be cheap?

by Anonymousreply 2602/15/2013

I go several times each week - only 5 minutes from my house. I like to cook well and I like their products and the experience. It is more expensive for sure but I'm happy to pay.

by Anonymousreply 2702/15/2013

What R19 said. If you go to Whole Foods you don't have to deal with the riffraff. Just polite regular people who don't cause a ruckus.

by Anonymousreply 2802/15/2013

I hear that Whole Foods is a big ol' cruisey scene for lesbians. Is that true? Even bigger than Home Depot or Trader Joe's?

by Anonymousreply 2902/15/2013

But I'm sure the scene is NOTHING like the gorgeous studs who shop at the Ralphs on La Brea. It's not just the parking that's tricky.

by Anonymousreply 3002/15/2013

R30 If you think that Ralph's is tricky try Gelson's on Santa Monica.

by Anonymousreply 3102/15/2013

Perhaps so, but I have never seen so many beautiful men in my life, in one place, then at that Ralph's.

p.s. did you know the Gelson family is not Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 3202/15/2013

Whole Foods sells quality food and has excellent customer service. Plenty of items are the same price as they are at Safeway or Giant here in DC. For example I even found their Perrier water the cheapest of all the groceries and they have some store brands that are of good quality and as cheap as oher not so great store brands.

They have excellent pastries, prepare foods and fresh fish as well as lots of very good foods you can't find elsewhere.

I also got addicted to a very expensive butter about $5 for half a pound. I only used it when I buttered something - not for cooking.

You get what you pay for. I like my local butcher, too, but he's more expensive than WF.

by Anonymousreply 3302/15/2013

I buy seafood at WF, but I much prefer TJs for most items.

by Anonymousreply 3402/15/2013

[quote]If you go to Whole Foods you don't have to deal with the riffraff. Just polite regular people who don't cause a ruckus.

My experience at the 3 WF stores in this area has been just the opposite. Many of the shoppers are oblivious & act as if they're the only ones in the store, blocking the aisle with their carts, standing in front of displays while talking on or looking at their phones, reaching across & around others without saying "excuse me", pushing forward in lines, etc. And the employees never smile, just look bored & put-upon (& say "no problem" instead of "you're welcome, of course).

In contrast, the "riffraff" at my local FoodMaxx, Grocery Outlet, 99 Cent Only, Dollar Tree, & ethnic markets tend to act cheery & friendly, offer to let people with few items or handicaps or fussy babies go ahead in line, & are generally pleasant & respectful of others.

I know R23 is joking, but what he says is actually kind of true. Maybe they treat me well because I'm a woman who's old enough to be their grandma?

by Anonymousreply 3502/15/2013

R22, ironically most of the demographic that is most likely to shop at a place like Whole Foods are health conscious liberals, anyway, so I'm sure the CEO alienated a large proportion of his customers with those stupid comments.

It's not like he lost anything, though. Their items cost an arm and a leg and his profits must be through the roof.

by Anonymousreply 3602/15/2013

I think the most I ever spent there was about $330 at one time. I was buying a bunch of vitaminsand grass fed steak and crap. Usually, I can get a normal week's worth of groceries there for about $60 bucks and I never eat out.

by Anonymousreply 3702/15/2013

For my "Foie Gras Madness" party, my bill at WF was something like $17,000. When the other couple didn't show up, my husband and I had to eat leftovers for days!

by Anonymousreply 3802/15/2013

[quote] If you go to Whole Foods you don't have to deal with the riffraff. Just polite regular people who don't cause a ruckus.

Please. I'd prefer the riffraff to the entitled, snobby assholes that harrumph their way through Whole Foods.

by Anonymousreply 3902/15/2013

R7 is a vegan who eats crab stuffed pita...ok...

by Anonymousreply 4002/15/2013

Whole Food's CEO is a dick

by Anonymousreply 4102/15/2013

I prefer a mixed crowd too, the whitewashed, entitled crowd gets really creepy. I feel more at home with a varied demographic.

by Anonymousreply 4202/15/2013

Know, I know, I noticed too. And...Vegan chicken stock. How?

by Anonymousreply 4302/15/2013

R15 - I wish we had Central Market here. But we have an excellent farmers market that has great meat and produce and WAAAAAAAYYYY cheaper than Whole Paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 4402/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 4502/15/2013

I once had a $28 lunch from the salad bar. It is $9.99 per pound. I almost chocked at check out. Had to charge it. Not enough cash.

Never again. Wasn't even that special.

I can't imagine shopping there for groceries.

by Anonymousreply 4602/15/2013

R40, I'm not a vegan -- I just don't eat chicken or beef & I needed a substitute for those bouillons to use in some recipes I wanted to try. This stuff uses vegetables & yeast extract to produce the flavors without the meat.

by Anonymousreply 4702/15/2013

I wouldn't buy anything from that rethuglican outfit. I do stop by and eat their gingered beets in the salad bar. I only eat about a quarter pound before deciding I don't want to buy any. Whole Foods is an overpriced Sprouts.

by Anonymousreply 4802/15/2013

You should be ashamed of yourself!!!!

Who the hell needs "Special" butter?

What a waste of money!

You all need to take a reality check and start living like real humans.

I'm appalled.

by Anonymousreply 4902/15/2013

I love Artisinal butters!

by Anonymousreply 5002/15/2013

Love Costco. 106 Oz of San Marzano tomatoes or 3.99 Freeze 8 15 Oz containers so I always have tomatoes available to cook with. Also Trader Joes.

by Anonymousreply 5102/15/2013

NY I do Zeytuna and Jubillee....Duane Reed has a decent market too (FiDi)

by Anonymousreply 5202/15/2013

Gelson's is no longer owned by the Gelson family who were indeed Jewish, R32.

by Anonymousreply 5302/15/2013

I have instructed my friends and family members that if I ever spend $12 for a pound of sausage they should initiate proceedings to have me institutionalized

by Anonymousreply 5402/15/2013

Only peasants shop at a store. Our personal chef Mrs. Patmore takes care of meals for us. Daisy, Violet and those other girls help as well.

by Anonymousreply 5502/15/2013

I'm with R22. I have to pay more for olive oil and St. Andre now, but I just can't shop at Mackey's anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5602/15/2013

[quote] I knew that it was going to be cheap, but I was like whoa when I saw the total.

This sentence makes me want to take the OP into the woods, beat him senseless, then nail his head to a tree.

by Anonymousreply 5702/15/2013

I was once spent $56 on 5 organic fruits and it really wasn't worth it. I was in a hurry and grabbed the organic instead of the just the regular.

I like WF, but to be like OP and spend $132 on luxury food items not enough to last the week is wasteful. You don't go to work and put up with all that you have to do and then waste it on such things. You can get the same items for a lot less at a different market.

by Anonymousreply 5802/16/2013

I love their bulk Chocolate peanut butter cover pretzels. OMFG.

by Anonymousreply 5902/16/2013

And I just spent $18 at Mediapolis, and all I got was this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6002/16/2013

Their home made pizzas absolutely suck pussy.

by Anonymousreply 6102/16/2013

I won't spend a dime there due to their odious founder/CEO, and most DL folks shouldn't either. Is there a Trader Joe's nearby, OP?

by Anonymousreply 6202/16/2013

FYI ... Trader Joe's, Whole Foods' rival, is owned by the same German company that owns the discount grocer, Aldi

by Anonymousreply 6302/16/2013

Whole Foods = Right wing

Why are you shopping there, OP?

by Anonymousreply 6402/16/2013

[quote]I live in a fairly small city with 3 ordinary supermarkets besides the Walmart Supercenter, and I usually spend just a little over 100 bucks per week for food. I buy the advertised specials from all the circulars, especially meat which is not good at Walmart.

Spending that amount at ordinary markets, are you buying for two people or are you single and eating a huge amount of food?

Our city has one grocery store as well as a farmers market on Friday and Saturday. My weekly food bill is around $60. I get a lot of fresh produce from the farmers market and rarely buy any canned goods or prepared foods at the grocery store. When I was 60 lbs. overweight a few years ago, I spent a lot more because I was eating a lot of junky foods.

by Anonymousreply 6502/16/2013

Who knew that Whole Foods would bring out this kind of anger.

by Anonymousreply 6602/16/2013

R66 Closeted regressive owner puts up grocery chain that SCREAMS progressive values, getting other progressives to shop there for a couple of decade, and then twenty years on, we find out how he really feels.

Yeah, angry.

by Anonymousreply 6702/16/2013

I like to go to the prepared foods counter and ask for samples. I especially enjoy it when there are a flock of entitled frau waiting for service. Then I decide not to buy any of it and go over to the Safeway anyways.

by Anonymousreply 6902/16/2013

Ima you should bring your sister Mia at R68 with you next time you go.

by Anonymousreply 7002/16/2013

Yep. The whitewashed crowd looks at people of color like they never seen any before. And their kids do too (lol). They are so funny and pitiful looking with their tanning, and injected lips, fried hair, injected boobs and butts. We sometimes go shopping in those areas for a good laugh. Oh how they want to be us (lol).

by Anonymousreply 7202/16/2013

Airing your political laundry in public is a costly error, the CEO is incompetent.

by Anonymousreply 7402/16/2013

But Mackey is a dumb cunt for being so vocal, There is no reason to do that. He's clearly delusional. The Board of directors should give him the hook, because he's shitting all over the brand, thinking his opinion is more valued than the business

by Anonymousreply 7602/16/2013

I work in the natural foods industry. A lot of the so called organic and GMO free products in the Whold Foods private label brand is anything but. They do pay their employees a fair wage, because their mark up is insane. Mackey doesn't want American citizens who can not afford health care to have it. I have a problem with this, he also works with a distributor called UNIFI that is in the process of union busting & hiring scab workers. To top it all off the msn states climate change is a good thing. No thanks- I will buy local.

With the margins Mackey makes he could pay his workers twice as much and still be overcharging by 100 %.

by Anonymousreply 7702/16/2013

Why aren't you boycotting Whole Foods the way you should be?

by Anonymousreply 7802/16/2013

But you guys seems to forget the fact that WF is mostly in upscale areas where retail rents are pretty high. That margin may not be as big as you think when you factor in rents.

by Anonymousreply 7902/16/2013

R79, stop trying to make excuses for a right-wing corporation trying to scam money off of liberals.

by Anonymousreply 8002/16/2013

It's evident that WF spends the time to recruit, train and treat their employees way better than their competitors in the DC area. Yet they have the same pool of applicants. It's one of the pleasures of shopping there. They truly seem to be knowledgable and if they don't know something they happily go out of their way to find out. I have had many such experiences with them.

Those who want to boycott them be my guest. I've done plenty of that my entire life and to considerable inconvenience but this time I'm taking a pass. I love WF and I will continue to shop there. Though I hear you about going in for a few items and coming out having bought way more than I intended.

by Anonymousreply 8102/16/2013

R81, you are part of the problem. They're cheating you and lying to you and abuse their workers all while painting a rosy picture that you apparently fall for like a gullible rube.

You pay extra for "organic" products that aren't organic. Their CEO not only stands against Obama, Democrats, and ObamaCare ... and works to cut hours of employees so he doesn't have to pay for their benefits.

And you think that's all fine, because you enjoy the show and the illusion?

Grow a spine.

by Anonymousreply 8202/16/2013

I think the fact that they pay higher rents isn't an excuse, but a reality. WFs are always in high end areas. I have always heard that they have a great benefits package.

by Anonymousreply 8302/16/2013

Perhaps you should read this link:

by Anonymousreply 8402/16/2013

[quote]Whole Foods and Costco usually rank very high in terms of employee satisfaction. They have good benefits and good pay.

Then how come most of the employees at Costco smile a lot & seem cheery, while most of the ones at WF look sullen & act bored/resentful at all times?

I'm only familiar with the WF stores in Silicon Valley, where we enjoy great weather & don't really have a lot to complain about -- maybe the general atmosphere in DC is just much more jolly, R81?

by Anonymousreply 8502/16/2013

Whole foods is like Starbucks they require a 35 hour work week to get benefits and then schedule everyone for 32. They are a pretty evil company.

by Anonymousreply 8602/16/2013

Seriously, R82, grow the fuck up. You don't know me and you don't know what I've done with my life. I fought many battles in my life and I've learned I can't fight everything. Nor do I care to anymore. You need to pick your battles in this life.

I do know that WF treats their employees better than most and that is also very important to me. In this case more important than the owner's political beliefs are to me.

I also don't give a shit about organic food. I shop at WF because the food is of better quality than most places and not because it is "organic."

I also have not encountered "sullen" faces at the various WF stores where I've shopped over the past decade. I think you're just overreaching with that comment. Or it's just that slacker West coast mentality.

by Anonymousreply 8702/16/2013

I won't shop there for the reasons already stated. I live close enough to one to walk to. I like Central Market better even though it's a hike. They are Republican-leaning, however they did give to Obama. They also got into some trouble with Christian groups for donating to San Antonio Pride a few years back, so they can't be all bad.

by Anonymousreply 8802/16/2013

[quote]I also don't give a shit about organic food. I shop at WF because the food is of better quality than most places and not because it is "organic."

If you really believe this then you have been duped.

Slavin delivers most of Whole Foods fish, it is also the supplier for most of the Chinatown markets.

They have exactly the same blueberries as the guy on the corner, same brand same packaging. His are 1.00, and at Whole Foods they are 4.99.

They have a few high quality items, but most of it is the same swill you get at the less expensive stores.

by Anonymousreply 9002/16/2013

I finally tried a dry aged NY strip yesterday. I cooked it on my Green Egg. It was amazing.

But I'm not going to get in the habit of spending almost $30/lb for meat.

by Anonymousreply 9102/16/2013

[quote]I also have not encountered "sullen" faces at the various WF stores where I've shopped over the past decade. I think you're just overreaching with that comment. Or it's just that slacker West coast mentality.

The adjective "sullen" is my interpretation, R87 -- subjective, not objective. And it's something I perceive at WF but not at Costco.

Not sure whether you're saying that I'm a slacker (wrong), or the WF employees are (right) -- but come on out & shop here sometime, see what you think about our local versions of your favorite store.

by Anonymousreply 9202/16/2013

WF opened in Madison, WI on University Ave in the early or mid 90s.

Although curious, I didn't set foot in there because they were being picketed. Then they opened a place on the "fashionable" east side of Milwaukee.

I went in and immediately knew I didn't belong in there. The sef-congratulatory atmosphere and attitude of the shoppers and staff was suffocating me.

I'll keep my hayshaker ass out of there and stick to Save-a-Lot.

by Anonymousreply 9302/16/2013

That is the typical gay male grocery basket (they wouldn't be caught dead pushing a cart). It's always a few high-end things: some artisan bread, expensive cheese, wine.

All while wearing the standard "winter outdoor outfit" *see link* (no hat PLEASE).

No wonder they're always mean- they're hungry (and poor)!

by Anonymousreply 9402/16/2013

R81/R87 = someone who only stands up for principles when it's [italic]convenient[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 9502/16/2013

Three pounds of food for lunch, r46? That's the equivalent of 12 quarter-pounders. Are you Michael Phelps?

by Anonymousreply 9602/16/2013

Free at last, free at last, thank g-d almighty, I'm free at last.

My Trader Joe's carries St. Andre for $9.99/lb. I have no reason to go to Whole Foods ever again.

by Anonymousreply 9702/17/2013

Didn't an ex-worker publish an open letter last year that exposed the lie behind the bullshit PR that Whole Foods was some kind of worker's nirvana?

It was discussed for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 9802/17/2013

Yes, R98. R81/R87 prefers to live in willful ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 9902/17/2013

I feel like mailing John Mackey all the Whole Foods grocery bags I paid a dollar for. I don't think I'll ever use them again. I looked at one today before I went shopping and said "nah."

by Anonymousreply 10002/17/2013

You can order take-out from a restaurant every night of the week for what it costs to buy a basket's worth of groceries at Whole Foods. Actually, it's cheaper to do take-out, and you don't have to prepare anything. Whole Foods is a scam.

by Anonymousreply 10102/17/2013

R100, neighbors recently moved out of the country & gave me some stuff not worth packing, including a big green cotton WF shopping bag. It is handy, but I don't want to display the store's logo -- so I turned it inside out & use it to pack produce at the markets.

by Anonymousreply 10202/17/2013

If I am going to blow a lot of money on food I prefer Bristol Farms.

by Anonymousreply 10302/17/2013

R12 is spot-on.

by Anonymousreply 10402/18/2013

I hope all the self righteous here don't buy gasoline from oil companies.

by Anonymousreply 10502/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!