Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Who are the most intelligent celebrities?

Which celebs are also intellectual powerhouses?

by Anonymousreply 16205/12/2013

*crickets*

by Anonymousreply 102/15/2013

Isnt there already a thread about this

#Fail

by Anonymousreply 202/15/2013

Brian May

David Duchovny and Tommy Lee Jones both have Ivy League studies in literature behind them. It's hard to tell how smart people are when you listen to them being interviewed about film projects. But I doubt either are idiots.

by Anonymousreply 302/15/2013

Jodie Foster

James Woods

Anthony Lapaglia

Ashley Judd

by Anonymousreply 402/15/2013

Lisa Kudrow.

by Anonymousreply 502/15/2013

Ashley Judd likes people to think she's smart, but she's really not.

by Anonymousreply 602/15/2013

Mick Jagger

Brian May (Queen)

Dick Cavett

by Anonymousreply 702/15/2013

Wentworth Miller - a Princeton graduate and screenwriter. Marshall Allman gave an interview where he talked about how intelligent Miller was when they worked together on Prison Break.

by Anonymousreply 802/15/2013

Is it only celebs who went to college or business intelligence, or those who can form a complete intelligent sentence?

by Anonymousreply 902/15/2013

But Lisa Kudrow has Lisa Kudrow voice, so how can you tell, R5? Were you her SAT proctor?

by Anonymousreply 1002/15/2013

Brooke Shields is no dummy.

But a Ph. D. in Astrophysics? Yeah, Dr. May wins.

by Anonymousreply 1202/15/2013

C'est moi!

by Anonymousreply 1302/15/2013

Kevin Spacey

by Anonymousreply 1502/15/2013

Natalie Portman can speak several languages ( including Hebrew) and has a degree in psychology from Harvard.

by Anonymousreply 1602/15/2013

Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 1702/15/2013

This guy has a degree in chemical engineering

by Anonymousreply 1802/15/2013

Blossom..she is a rocket scientist, or something like that

by Anonymousreply 1902/15/2013

The chick who played Winnie on the Wonder Years, she has a PhD in Mathematics and has written books on the subject.

by Anonymousreply 2102/15/2013

Alicia Witt.

Ashton Kutcher studied biochemical engineering. According to Wikipedia, :Kutcher enrolled at the University of Iowa in August 1996, where his planned major was biochemical engineering, motivated by the desire to find a cure for his brother's heart ailment."

by Anonymousreply 2202/15/2013

Lisa Kudrow has a degree in biology from Vassar. That's good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 2302/15/2013

I went to Vassar but I was to modest to put myself on the list.

by Anonymousreply 2402/15/2013

Jodie Foster likes people to think she's smart, but she's really not.

by Anonymousreply 2502/15/2013

Mayim Bialik. PhD in neuroscience.

by Anonymousreply 2602/15/2013

Did Ashton cure his brother, or did he die? Because he didn't graduate.

by Anonymousreply 2702/15/2013

lol

by Anonymousreply 2802/15/2013

who is Alicia Witt, nevr heard of her

by Anonymousreply 2902/15/2013

Is Sharon Stone still telling people she was member of Mensa? Geena Davis is, or was. She also came close to making the Olympics in archery.

by Anonymousreply 3002/15/2013

There is another thread on this topic. But this thread is more civil.

by Anonymousreply 3102/15/2013

Wasn't there some other stupid thread like this, asking which celebrities are "extremely good-looking and extremely intelligent?"

There was already some stupid thread about celebrities who are "exceptionally good-looking and exceptionally intelligent." All I have to say is: who gives a rat's ass?

by Anonymousreply 3202/15/2013

Tilda

by Anonymousreply 3302/15/2013

AnnE Hathaway went to Vassar it can't be that difficult.

by Anonymousreply 3402/15/2013

Sharon is crazy and cunning, but Mensa material?

by Anonymousreply 3502/15/2013

Bitter much, R32 ?

by Anonymousreply 3602/15/2013

Charles Shaughnessy, of The Nanny & Days of our Lives. B.A. from Eaton and and studied law at University of Cambridge before turning his attention his attention to acting, full-time. Winner & semi-finalist of celeb Jeopardy tournaments.

by Anonymousreply 3702/15/2013

Warren Beatty knows enough about politics that politicians consult him.

Sharon Stone is supposedly smart. She supposedly graduated high school early and had a lot of credits from a nearby college (Edinboro University of Pennsylvania)

Meryl Streep and Sigourney Weaver

by Anonymousreply 3802/15/2013

[quote]Charles Shaughnessy, of The Nanny & Days of our Lives. B.A. from Eaton

Umm, Eaton? You must mean Eton, which is not a college in the American sense. Its a very posh British secondary school. He didn't earn a BA there.

Although I will grant he seems intelligent. A quick check of his Wikipedia entry states he's now a member of the UK peerage, having inherited a baronetcy from a distant relative a few years ago.

The idea that Warren Beatty is giving politicians any advice other than how to score pussy is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 3902/15/2013

Glenne Headley James Woods Steve Martin Madonna Shakira Cindy Crawford Anderson Cooper Ellen Muth

by Anonymousreply 4002/16/2013

Alicia Witt is a red-headed actress who played Cybill Shepherd's teenaged daughter on that sitcom of hers. She was on [italic]Friday Night Lights[/italic] playing a bartender/single mother who had a fling with Tim Riggins, then became his landlady, and then kicked him out when she mistakenly thought he had taken advantage of her daughter. As a child, she played Alia, sister of the Kwisatz Haderach in the movie version of [italic]Dune[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 4102/16/2013

I think James Woods is probably the most intelligent celebrity. He had a perfect score on the math portion of the SAT and reportedly has an IQ of 180.

Quentin Tarantino is also incredibly intelligent, with an IQ of 160.

I've read that Steve Martin has an IQ of 142, which is also pretty impressive. I think Geena Davis is supposedly in the same range, maybe about 140.

by Anonymousreply 4202/16/2013

Emma Thompson and Stephen Fry are both pretty smart and well-read.

by Anonymousreply 4302/16/2013

David Letterman

by Anonymousreply 4402/16/2013

Nolan Gould, the kid who plays Luke on Modern Family. IQ of 150.

by Anonymousreply 4502/16/2013

Meryl Streep

by Anonymousreply 4602/16/2013

Al Franken

by Anonymousreply 4702/16/2013

[quote]Nolan Gould, the kid who plays Luke on Modern Family. IQ of 150.

I'd have to see receipts, and furthermore, IQ doesn't make one intelligent on certain matters that you and I deem important.

by Anonymousreply 4802/16/2013

[quote]I think James Woods is probably the most intelligent celebrity. He had a perfect score on the math portion of the SAT and reportedly has an IQ of 180.

And a rabid Republican, go figure.

by Anonymousreply 4902/16/2013

A lot of IQs are "alleged." They used to allege that Madonna had this extremely high IQ when the thing was a total fabrication that just go repeated until it suddenly became true.

by Anonymousreply 5002/16/2013

James Woods:

[quote]Woods was a vocal supporter of former U.S. President George W. Bush and the Iraq War, though he is still a registered Democrat.[21] He is a supporter of former Mayor of New York Rudy Giuliani. Woods lobbied hard to play Giuliani in the biopic Rudy: The Rudy Giuliani Story, and considers the role one of the favorites of his career.[22] In 2008, Woods appeared in David Zucker's comedy An American Carol, along with active Republican actors Kelsey Grammer, Kevin Farley, and Leslie Nielsen.

by Anonymousreply 5102/16/2013

Jennifer Beals

by Anonymousreply 5202/16/2013

I'm glad no one has mentioned that pretentious fool James Franco who pays people to write his papers for him.

As for most intelligent, I'd go for Jodie Foster, Jon Stewart and Lauryn Hill, all for different reasons.

by Anonymousreply 5302/16/2013

Jodie Foster is a total moron, a shame-based creep and a terrible actress with lizard face.

by Anonymousreply 5402/16/2013

Nuance, R54, nuance.

by Anonymousreply 5502/16/2013

Ellen Muth (Intertel and Mensa)

by Anonymousreply 5602/16/2013

Nolan Gould (Luke from Modern Family). Mensa, finished high school at 13.

by Anonymousreply 5702/16/2013

Geena Davis is a Mensa member.

by Anonymousreply 5802/16/2013

Dolly Parton

by Anonymousreply 6002/16/2013

Kind of like you R59, only they're smart.

by Anonymousreply 6102/16/2013

Madonna, Paul McCartney. Usually the richest ones are the smartest ones. The ones that got advanced degrees like Senator Ashley Judd are also smart.

by Anonymousreply 6202/16/2013

Mick Jagger deftly managed the Stones finances and went to the London School of Economics on scholarship. I believe he was pondering a political career before he dropped out to join the Stones full time.

by Anonymousreply 6302/16/2013

"Bitter much, R32?"

Bitter about WHAT? I just don't give a fuck about the intelligence of celebrities. Perhaps you do. Perhaps you have a lot of time on your hands to ponder such things. I think that's sad.

by Anonymousreply 6402/16/2013

LAURYN HILL? She seems positively demented. What in the world would make anyone think she's "intelligent?"

by Anonymousreply 6502/16/2013

Madonna's "intelligence" is way overrated. I mean, this is a woman who allowed herself to be photographed naked with her legs spread wide open (the forest of hair between her legs mercifully concealed her vulva) and with her nose in a guy's asshole. She's in her fifties and going onstage flashing her nipples and rump to aghast audiences. These are not things that an intelligent person does.

by Anonymousreply 6602/16/2013

So, R66, how much money have you made from your prudery?

Your points are totally invalid, a person's degree of prudery or sluttiness, or tastelessness, have nothing to do with intelligence. Plenty of smart people feel free to do any ghastly thing they like, especially if it'll make them as much money as Madonna's exhebitionism has.

by Anonymousreply 6702/16/2013

Diane Keaton - super smart. She was smarter than most men in Hollywood, which freaked them out.

Wasn't Jayne Mansfield some kind of genius?

People said that Cary Grant could have run a studio or an agency if he'd wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 6802/16/2013

I cannot imagine George W. Bush, or Rudy Giuliani appealing to anyone who actually has a brain.

by Anonymousreply 6902/16/2013

I think James Woods is probably very intelligent. I think he also has a personality disorder.

by Anonymousreply 7002/17/2013

"how much money have you made from your prudery?"

Oh shut up, asshole. There are a lot of ways to make money besides showing your pubic hair and nipples and and bare ass. Madonna isn't intelligent. She's shrewd, not intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 7102/18/2013

"Diane Keaton - super smart. She was smarter than most men in Hollywood, which freaked them out."

I've seen Keaton in interviews. She seems ditzy and nutty, not intelligent. She was so good in Annie Hall, because she IS Annie Hall. She also said that Woody Allen had a great body, which would also indicate she's a kook.

by Anonymousreply 7202/18/2013

Jill St John has an IQ of 162.

by Anonymousreply 7302/18/2013

Cynthia Nixon owns this threat.

I went to grade school with her. She broke the grading curve singlehandedly. Went to Hunter then Columbia/Barnard. Absolute genius.

Smartest person I ever met, celebrity or not.

by Anonymousreply 7402/18/2013

James Woods.

by Anonymousreply 7502/18/2013

[quote]Emma Thompson and Stephen Fry are both pretty smart and well-read.

Stephen Fry is way more than "pretty smart." He is insanely clever. Also v. smart: his BFF, Hugh Laurie. Emma is no slouch either, of course. All three went to Cambridge.

Of American celebs: Matt Bomer seems reasonably smart. Articulate in interviews, and BFA from Carnegie Mellon.

by Anonymousreply 7602/18/2013

[quote] I've seen Keaton in interviews. She seems ditzy and nutty, not intelligent. She was so good in Annie Hall, because she IS Annie Hall. She also said that Woody Allen had a great body, which would also indicate she's a kook.

I remember an interview with Woody Allen in which he said that she still thinks that there are little people living inside her radio. It doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of her intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 7702/18/2013

Blossom, neuroscience phd.

by Anonymousreply 7802/18/2013

Russell Brand wrote a really compelling book and is very quick to make a quip. I rank him high on the list of celebrities that are intelligent.

On Chelsea Handler, he really showed her what's what.

by Anonymousreply 7902/18/2013

It's possible to be very well-spoken and not especially intelligent; conversely, it's possible to appear ditzy but be quite intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 8002/18/2013

Chelsea seemed pretty bright in that clip as well.

by Anonymousreply 8102/18/2013

DChelsea even have a GED?

by Anonymousreply 8202/18/2013

Hedy Lamarr. Invented frequency-hopping.

by Anonymousreply 8302/18/2013

Ben Affleck was extremely articulate in his awards speeches, I loved Argo and his past directorial efforts but I agree that he or Matt Damon never seemed smart (Good Will script or not). He also really won me over with how heartfelt it was about him getting a second chance, all so moving.

Tarrantino is SUPER articulate and speed talks as shown by his Oscar appearance. You could criticize his direction being derivative and just remixes of his encyclopedic knowlege of films but this mega nerd is smarter than even most directors.

Tarrantino protege Christoph Waltz must be intelligent. His English is better than some natives. Arnold Schwarzeneger is also into languages big time, but intelligent? And he also seems to have forgotten his native language. Quite an accomplishment.

I also read Sylvester Stallone, Keanu Reeves and Jessica Simpson were intelligent or had high IQs(!?!?) so who can tell.

Neil Tennant - extremely literate. Same for Russell Brand.

Morrissey is not as intelligent as you'd think. Funny, poetic and articulate but not educated.

Sort of a celeb but you need a dictionary to understand Will Self. Obviously any authors or broadcasters will most likely fall into the cartegory.

Chris Martin got a first at Uni, but this isn't reflected in his Hallmark self help lyrics. I'm always interested when people get first class degrees, Jamie Cullum is another one.

A few British actors past and present went to Oxbridge, Emma Thompson being the obvious one.

I read something about Sharon Stone saying that old cokehead Richard Dreyfuss was the smartest person she knew.

by Anonymousreply 8405/05/2013

Professor Brian Cox, the Physicist currently working at the CERN Hadron Collider, holds the title.

(From the #1 UK band, D-R-E-A-M)

by Anonymousreply 8505/05/2013

OMG I didn't know he was in D:Ream. lmfao. That is the coolest career change ever. And yes, he is the #1 boffin just now. And he looks staggeringly young for his age.

by Anonymousreply 8605/05/2013

Barbara Feldon won the $64,000 question when she was in her early 20's on the topic of English literatire and she is still one of the most well read, erudite people I've ever known. She is also an author, editor, and director besides being a wonderful actress.

by Anonymousreply 8705/05/2013

Is "IQ" really a valid thing? I thought it was made-up, like hypnosis.

by Anonymousreply 8805/05/2013

Madonna's success is a tribute to her intelligence. It's been clear since Like A Virgin that she is clearly in charge of her career that has lasted about 30 years longer than predicted. And for the haters that claim she doesn't really write her songs. So what, if true, she's been shrewd in picking the songs that will be hits. No one else has done as successfully or as consistently as her. Thems brains, people.

by Anonymousreply 8905/05/2013

[quote]It's possible to be very well-spoken and not especially intelligent.

I think this is mostly not true. You can't really fake something like that on a consistent basis. Most such accusations probably come from people who disagree with the speaker's views on something, especially politics.

by Anonymousreply 9005/05/2013

How intelligent are these people who have degrees, and advanced degrees, in fields where they might actually be making a differance in our world but choose acting instead?

by Anonymousreply 9105/05/2013

r91, "intelligence" isn't defined by whether they share your priorities.

by Anonymousreply 9205/05/2013

A common assumption of stupid people is that they think intelligence can be determined based on whether they agree with the person they're assessing.

by Anonymousreply 9305/05/2013

"But a Ph. D. in Astrophysics? Yeah, Dr. May wins."

But isn't he married to 'Ang' from the Queen Vic? She doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb.

by Anonymousreply 9405/05/2013

Tom Hiddleston graduated from Cambridge with a double first in Classics. The double indicates he was at the top of his class for the entire five years. "Classics" encompasses the culture, language and philosophy that have affected the history of Western civilisation right up to the present day,

He also speaks four languages fluently.

by Anonymousreply 9505/05/2013

R89 Madonna is more high EQ and drive than intelligence. She likes to come across as bookish and cultured and is conscious of looking like a bimbo but her vocab isn't that good and she can be really inarticulate, pausing all the time interviews. Even being asked to describe Kablahblah she was stumped.

She isn't stupid obviously but she is not academic either.

by Anonymousreply 9605/05/2013

[quote]a degree in psychology from Harvard

Psychology is a bullshit discipline.

by Anonymousreply 9705/05/2013

Madonna in intelligent? News to me.

Sure there are a ton of people who have business savvy, but don't possess much actual intelligence.

Madonna is never interesting in interviews, she always tries to be witty, yet fails miserably. She always sounds ignorant on talk shows. She still thinks she's sexy, she continues to use that to get over on the TV hosts which she can't articulate an answer, that shows she's not self aware.

She's never had one original idea in her head, her career has been based on mining the ideas of others, then presenting those ideas to a young clueless audience. Do you actually think many of her fans knew the underground artists she was ripping off? Highly doubtful.

You give her way too much credit, you do realize she has people working with her behind-the-scenes to help 'her' with 'ideas'.

Think about this, many criminals and thieves are very savvy, yet they never apply their skills to a legitimate job, they scam the system, work off the books and do whatever they do to make a very decent living, but are they intelligent? Not really, because criminals eventually get caught.

by Anonymousreply 9805/05/2013

r90, it can be true. IQ tests are mostly based on pattern skills and visual-spatial intelligence. Neither of them has any relevance on how good/bad someone is articulated. Also, IQ tests, the real ones, the ones made with a psychologist, can be inaccurate if the person tested is someone weak on the emotional spectrum or have ADHD, since they are timed.

Anyway, I think many of these celeb. IQ are totally fake. I'd like to see the receipts.

by Anonymousreply 9905/05/2013

[quote]Madonna in intelligent?

Yeah, she in.

by Anonymousreply 10005/05/2013

Felica Day got a perfect score on her math SAT.

by Anonymousreply 10105/05/2013

[quote]The double indicates he was at the top of his class for the entire five years.

No it doesn't. It means he scored high marks in each of his examinations, He was at university, like most Brits for three years.

by Anonymousreply 10205/05/2013

Some say Vadge's greatest talent was marketing and surrounding herself with the best people. Even hardcore fans admit it's hard to define what her talent actually is.

There is truth to Joni Mitchell's claim that she knocked the importance of talent out of the arena. The fans also concede that she's directly responsible for all the talentless pop princesses who came after - she did change the landscape of pop music and the female voice became dominant.

As for her getting there on charisma, she was very pushy in the beginning and is especially cunty and charmless now. The biggest of fans also say she's a cunt and don't like her as a person.

by Anonymousreply 10305/05/2013

r101, which doesn't mean much given that SAT tests are not exactly rocket science. If you are a hard working student with an average intelligence (and had a good teacher), SAT tests are not that difficult.

by Anonymousreply 10405/05/2013

[quote]Neither of them has any relevance on how good/bad someone is articulated.

Oh, mea maxima dear.

by Anonymousreply 10505/05/2013

"Yeah, she in."

I have very bad eye floaters, according to my ophthalmologist, basically nothing can be done, drops don't help, the bottom line, I can't see very well. Thankfully I am still able to work in my field.

Yes DL Posting Monitor, I have many typos in my post, sue me.

Once again, Madonna is a one-note dolt.

Success is never a barometer of intelligence, let alone talent. Success for many means the unwashed masses have bought into your useless hype! Kim Kardashian and her airhead family are a great example of that! The same goes for Madonna and that fug Lena Dunham. If you hype something enough, the general public will by into it. People waiting on lines for iPhones, sporting events, concerts etc, all based on hype.

by Anonymousreply 10605/05/2013

"Nolan Gould (Luke from Modern Family). Mensa, finished high school at 13." Not so difficult a feat if you're being tutored. You can go at your own pace, you don't have to take scheduled classes but can make your own curriculum (without the "extras" to fill time at regular schools).

by Anonymousreply 10705/05/2013

r105. If you are that intelligent the thought that English is not the mother tongue of every poster should have crossed your mind. Just saying...

by Anonymousreply 10805/05/2013

David Bowie.

I think some of the comedic types, like Craig Ferguson and Bobcat Goldthwait, tend to be on the bright side.

by Anonymousreply 10905/05/2013

Natalie Portman

by Anonymousreply 11005/05/2013

Virginia "Girl Talk" Graham. Phi Beta Kappa from the University of Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 11105/05/2013

Doogie Howser, M.D.

by Anonymousreply 11205/05/2013

R85 Came to say that. Brian Cox is hugely intelligent, and it doesn't hurt that he's charismatic and charming and ever so slightly self effacing in front of the camera.

Also, Stephen Fry is highly intelligent, highly educated and articulate on us about any subject.

Dr. Jonathan Miller is a theatre and opera director, actor, author, television presenter, humorist, sculptor and medical doctor.

by Anonymousreply 11305/05/2013

To add to Stephen Fry, a couple more super bright Brits: Colin Firth and Hugh Grant. Grant has the fancy education.

by Anonymousreply 11405/05/2013

R84 confuses being articulate and literate, owning a prestigious degree, possessing a large vocabulary, being capable of delivering a heartfelt and moving performance, speed-talking (?), or knowing more than one language (even though one grew up in a country where more than one language was taught) for intelligence.

All of those assets taken together could very well be seen as a valid indicator. Each of them individually is not. The poster gives far too much weight to prestige degrees when we all know the class system dynamics involved in conferring degrees on dolts like GWB.

R84 describes Morrissey as "not as intelligent as you'd think. Funny, poetic and articulate but not educated." Frankly, I'm more impressed that Morrissey is funny, poetic and articulate without being educated; that means he was bright enough to learn those things on his own.

by Anonymousreply 11505/05/2013

R83 is right.

Heddy Lamar owns this thread. A Mathematician who co-invented frequency hopping which is what Wifi and Bluetooth technologies are based on.

by Anonymousreply 11605/05/2013

I almost get the feeling that Natalie Portman tones down her intelligence in front of the cameras. Regardless of her major, getting into Harvard takes a terrifying amount of intellect. Would she be able to do any math problem you put in front of her?

by Anonymousreply 11705/05/2013

R101

Calling Felicia Day a celebrity is really pushing it, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 11805/05/2013

Yes so degrees don't necessarily mean anything r115, always knew that but I'm always interested in the ones who did well in them. Of course it just means they may have worked hard but sometimes it's natural intelligence that got them it.

I also was impressed how Moz never had an education, he's very well read. If you've read some of his recent quotes and things said through out his career you may reassess his intellect. He's an intolerant bigot basically. I say this as a fan, just as I am a critical fan of Madge.

by Anonymousreply 11905/05/2013

[quote]Of course it just means they may have worked hard but sometimes it's natural intelligence that got them it.

Many times it's not based on hard work or intelligence, but family connections.

Having said that, I'm impressed with Hiddleston.

by Anonymousreply 12005/05/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 12105/05/2013

No, r121. He's a great bravado and the recipient of some very good fortune, but I don't believe for a minute that he's smart.

by Anonymousreply 12205/05/2013

Definitely higher education was once more for the rich. But education doesn't necessarily denote intelligence does it?

I've saw alleged IQ tests that had mgeneral knowledge type questions which I never got.

by Anonymousreply 12305/05/2013

R34 AnnE attended, but didn't graduate. Much like Jane Fonda.

Both Lisa Kudrow and Meryl Streep graduated from Vassar.

by Anonymousreply 12405/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 12505/05/2013

I had an IQ test years ago and it did have general knowledge type questions. In fact, I had to give the definition of a monarchy.

Famously, the question "who was Dr. Martian Luther King Jr?" was amended to include the response "Martian Luther King's son" as correct. That is, if I'm recalling the story correctly.

by Anonymousreply 12605/05/2013

r119. It's more like "you can have natural, raw intelligence and still not have a degree". Spatial intelligence, like the pattern skills one to a less degree, is not taught. It can't be. In the same way some people can draw/paint and other don't.

On the other hand, crystallized intelligence can be improved with studies, etc. Obviously if you are stupid you'll have a hard time learning any of it.

It's been proved times and times again that success in life has more to do with EQ than IQ. And even in the IQ case, some scientists disagree on its importance. Meaning, there can be intelligences that the simple IQ test is not able to measure. Even more, the personality of the person tested can influence its IQ score a lot.

Keep in mind that for example many kids with a high spacial IQ intelligence were (some still are) deemed as not very bright in school and/or have low grades. That's because in school there is a standard method of teaching that is completely useless for their learning.

by Anonymousreply 12705/05/2013

I've heard Lisa Kudrow is smart. I imagine that the smartest celebrities aren't concerned with how others perceive their intelligence. Versus others, who work so hard to project a "smart" image and usually come off as neurotic or annoying (see: AnnE).

by Anonymousreply 12805/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 12905/05/2013

I worked at Columbia, one of the Ivies, and I assure you, nowadays many kids get 800s on SATs. the scores from the '60s and '70s were a more reliable indicator of a good education remembered well. There are plenty of very smart kids who never took these tests in the past and many who did not have the advantages of any kid in a prep school, and were therefore unprepared for SATs. Furthermore, they do not score above 800, in other words, nobody gets a perfect score since they do not count any more answers after you hit 800. IQ tests are variable, affected by the emotional state the tester is in at the time of the test. This means people who are nervous and anxious about being tested will naturally score lower than those who enjoy the process.

by Anonymousreply 13005/05/2013

I agree on EQ R127 absolutely. Intelligence means nada if you're an aspergers-esque geek with no social skills. Unless of course you're a VGL aspergers-esque geek with no social skills, then the world's your oyster and all doors will be opened.

by Anonymousreply 13105/06/2013

Streep is one of the few celebs I find funny and engaging in interviews. She is articulate and insightful.

Jodie is really smart about the film business.

Steve Martin and Madonna are major art collectors, which to me is smart but I like artists.

by Anonymousreply 13205/06/2013

Je parle en francais, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 13305/06/2013

How smart is Robin Williams? He always screamed it to be although another druggie, so hard to tell. He had a scholarship to Julliard though before that. Is he out of acting no, BTW?

by Anonymousreply 13405/06/2013

[quote]I have very bad eye floaters, according to my ophthalmologist, basically nothing can be done, drops don't help, the bottom line, I can't see very well. Thankfully I am still able to work in my field.

And thank god, it hasn't reduced your capacity for whining, self-pity, and excuse-making.

by Anonymousreply 13505/06/2013

[quote]Regardless of her major, getting into Harvard takes a terrifying amount of intellect.

Really? You have a strange idea of what's terrifying.

[quote]Would she be able to do any math problem you put in front of her?

Why the fuck would a psych major be able to do "any math problem you put in front of her"? I'm sure Portman is a bright enough person, but no, goofball, getting into Harvard does not require you to be some sort of freak genius show pony.

by Anonymousreply 13605/06/2013

[quote]Famously, the question "who was Dr. Martian Luther King Jr?" was amended to include the response "Martian Luther King's son" as correct. That is, if I'm recalling the story correctly.

So was it kind of a trick question where you had to show that you knew he wasn't from Mars?

by Anonymousreply 13705/06/2013

Someone get r136 a warm bottle of bleach to drink before bed.

by Anonymousreply 13805/06/2013

Geena Davis is a member of mensa, a social organization whose members are in the top 2% of intelligence as measured by an IQ test entrance exam

by Anonymousreply 13905/06/2013

[quote]To add to Stephen Fry, a couple more super bright Brits: Colin Firth and Hugh Grant. Grant has the fancy education.

Actually, no. Firth and Grant are not particularly intelligent specimens. Firth especially is rather dim and a bit of an airhead in real life. Don't let the posh accents fool you.

by Anonymousreply 14005/06/2013

Hugh Grant is as thick as two short planks - joined together and measured lengthwise...

He is one of those who think that, because he's POSH, he's somehow, intrinsically, better than you...

Yup, I've met him several times...and, no, I won't "GET [YOU] A DRINK!!!"

by Anonymousreply 14105/06/2013

Will Smith wanted to set up a school based on Platonic principles (don't know if he did...)

Since Plato was ALL FOR slavery (for everyone) plus many, many horrible things, I've thought that Smith is (a) fascist (b) never read Plato (c) has a superiority complex (d) a dick...

And that waste of oxygen that is his son would have been exposed at birth...

by Anonymousreply 14205/06/2013

Emma Watson

by Anonymousreply 14305/06/2013

I don't particularly care what degrees or qualifications celebrities have but I regard Common Sense to be a major factor for if a person is intelligent or not.

And most of these people seriously lack it or a modicum of sanity or morality. Drug abuse, law breaking, promiscuity and self entitlement do not a smart person make. The only celeb I can think of is Mia Farrow's son who is super smart and makes clear to this day that despite his bohemian upbringing that he is still NOT impressed by his Father's sexual escapades with his sister. She may have been adopted but as far as the kid was concerned, she was his sister so it was highly inappropriate and incestuous behaviour on Woody's part. And Father and son still don't speak. So how's that for a bit of morality from Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 14405/06/2013

Mira Sorvino. and she joined sports professionally. and won.

by Anonymousreply 14505/06/2013

r144 is the idiot r93 was talking about.

by Anonymousreply 14605/06/2013

A lot of celebs who go to Ivy League schools only get accepted for the publicity they bring to the school. They're not necessarily smart.

by Anonymousreply 14705/06/2013

Agreed R140. Firth is a lovely bloke but about as bright as a 20W bulb.

by Anonymousreply 14805/06/2013

Many smart people in Hollywood and entertainment play dumb. It's just easier that way.

by Anonymousreply 14905/06/2013

James Woods wins hands down

Ben Affleck

Alec Baldwin when he is not playing Alec Baldwin

Miyam Bialik

winnie from Wonder Years

Bill Maher

Kerry Washington

Dave Chappelle

Bill Bradley he was a celeb when he was a Knick

honorable mention for being a box of rocks who threw herself into the an auto-didactic school of learning and is now one of the brighter female celebs

Michael Jackson don't laugh, he spent every waking moment reading every non fiction work he could get his hands on. His grammar and manner of expressing himself was poor, but he could sit down and discuss Proust with the best of them. And his business acumen is note worthy.

by Anonymousreply 15005/07/2013

Wasn't MJ practically bankrupt when he died?

by Anonymousreply 15105/07/2013

R95, you're certainly not too smart. Double first means Hiddleston got a first in Part One and Part Two of his tripos exams (i.e. exams in both his second and final year), not that he was top of his class. Classics at Cambridge is usually three years, four if you didn't have Latin to start with, but since Hiddleston went to Eton I'm presuming he did. Classics means ancient Greek and Latin/Roman language, culture and history.

I'm sure Tom Hiddleston is very smart but to go from Eton to doing well in Classics at Cambridge is not as demanding as it sounds.

by Anonymousreply 15205/07/2013

Didn't Mira Sorvino major in Chinese studies at Harvard? She's fluent in Chinese - no small feat - and I think she graduated at the top of her class.

She should have stuck with it, she's a terrible actress.

Tim Gunn is very intelligent. It shows in his vocabulary and wise counsel in all matters.

by Anonymousreply 15305/07/2013

[quote]Nolan Gould, the kid who plays Luke on Modern Family. IQ of 150.

Atticus Shaffer, who plays Brick on "The Middle" is studying German in order to read Gothe and is living with osteogenesis imperfecta.

by Anonymousreply 15405/07/2013

r142, what Will Smith meant must have been very different - he wound up starting a school based on [b]Scientology[/b] principles.

I agree, Hedy Lamarr and Brian May win this one hands down. I'd add a common-sense bracket for people like musician Duff McKagan, formerly in Guns n' Roses and now Velvet Revolver. He's a high school dropout who realized he didn't have a clue on how to manage his new money, went back to school to learn and wound up founding a financial management firm for professional musicians.

by Anonymousreply 15505/07/2013

[quote]She's fluent in Chinese - no small feat

Tell that to the billions of Chinese people in China!

by Anonymousreply 15605/07/2013

Joey ("I like blue") Luft

by Anonymousreply 15705/07/2013

[quote]Michael Jackson don't laugh, he spent every waking moment reading every non fiction work he could get his hands on. His grammar and manner of expressing himself was poor, but he could sit down and discuss Proust with the best of them. And his business acumen is note worthy.

I had also read that about Jacko but being well read does not intelligent make. I know plenty of . people who read tons of books but are not that bright. Some don't like to read all the time but are nonetheless intelligent, a lot of English Lit students are known for not reading a lot.

You either have a flair for a certain area like languages or not. I suppose sides of the brain come into it? Some are all rounders of course but I imagine most have weak spots.

by Anonymousreply 15805/12/2013

Ed Norton - this Ivy Leauger is fluent in Japanese but supposedly one of those who makes sure you know how smart he is, maybe explaining his bad rep and dwindling career. Smug bitch.

by Anonymousreply 15905/12/2013

Knowing another language doesn't make you that intelligent. If that were the case you'd have to add Jackie Chan and Jean Claude Van Damm to the list.

Real intelligence is someone like Hedy Lamarr and without her, more than half you bitches wouldn't be able to access DL so give it up to her already.

by Anonymousreply 16005/12/2013

Who is Hedy Lamarr? One of the owners of datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 16105/12/2013

Hedy Lamarr was an actress and Mathematician who invented frequency hopping which is what wifi and bluetooth technology is based on.

by Anonymousreply 16205/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.