Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Message for job hunters: nobody quits a good job

So if there is an opening- beware. Somebody fled the position, possibly without another one to go to, they hated it so much.

I've started asking interviewers, at the end when they ask that loaded question, "Do you have any questions for us?"- I say, "Is this a newly created position, or did someone leave?". The looks! It knocks them off guard ("Uh, um, she moved out of state- didn't she Mary?", etc.).

I'm just sayin'

by No, I didn't get the jobreply 1202/15/2013

Putting the interviewer on edge - always a good strategy in getting that job. So OP, how many companies have you heard back from?

by No, I didn't get the jobreply 102/15/2013

Ending on a negative will utterly guarantee that you will never land a job. I can't tell what your tone of voice is when you ask, but that sounds accusatory.

You can celebrate how clever you were over your dinner of ramen noodle soup.

by No, I didn't get the jobreply 202/15/2013

People also quit good jobs for better jobs and lots of other reasons.

You're an idiot OP.

by No, I didn't get the jobreply 302/15/2013

I agree with OP. It's been my experience that good companies are happy to share the information about the previous employee and will often tell you why they have a job opening so you don't have to ask.

Those are the companies that have given someone a promotion that created the job vacancy, not the companies someone fled while their sanity was still intact.

by No, I didn't get the jobreply 402/15/2013

Agree R3. Happens all the time.

by No, I didn't get the jobreply 502/15/2013

People also get promoted into other jobs.

by No, I didn't get the jobreply 602/15/2013

Oh, please, OP -- what's to keep them from lying and telling you it's a new position?

by No, I didn't get the jobreply 702/15/2013

"I don't have time to wait for your reply. I am a mother with a child!!"

by No, I didn't get the jobreply 802/15/2013

Would it be okay to ask "Is this a newly created position", in a sweet and innocent tone of voice?

by No, I didn't get the jobreply 902/15/2013

Maybe they didn't quit but got fired!

by No, I didn't get the jobreply 1002/15/2013

I got a new job 6 months ago, during they interviewed and it came up in the conversation - she got married and they relocated 3 hours away. Good to know, I admit i was curious and probably would have asked anyway.

by No, I didn't get the jobreply 1102/15/2013

How is possible to ask this question in a sweet yet professional voice without sounding accusatory?

by No, I didn't get the jobreply 1202/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.