Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do Brits say "in hospital"?

A hospital is a place- not an adjective.

by Simonreply 10402/18/2013

Okay, here we go…

by Simonreply 102/15/2013

Do you have any relatives who are in high school or in college, OP?

by Simonreply 202/15/2013

This seems to baffle DLers perennially.

by Simonreply 302/15/2013

Noe. Whie, R2?

by Simonreply 402/15/2013

It was explained to me this way: we do not say "I have to go to the school," or, "I have to go to the work." It's "I have to go to school" or "I have to go to work." "Go to hospital" is the same.

by Simonreply 502/15/2013

What should they say, "In houspital"?

by Simonreply 602/15/2013

I'm only here visiting a sick friend. I regret to inform you that I've given that exclusive to [italic]Hello![/italic] magazine.

by Simonreply 802/15/2013

What do they say, R7, "in dentist"?

by Simonreply 902/15/2013

They are so fucked up, OP. Why don't they just use the same idioms you do? It would make life so much easier.

by Simonreply 1002/15/2013

You'd only say THE hospital if there was on one in town. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. The American way is the one we should be questioning here.

Or maybe not.

The Brits say I'm taking the car to THE garage. I'm going to THE dentist.

by Simonreply 1102/15/2013

Because it's proper English, something Americans don't understand or use.

by Simonreply 1202/15/2013

[quote]It was explained to me this way: we do not say "I have to go to the school," or, "I have to go to the work." It's "I have to go to school" or "I have to go to work." "Go to hospital" is the same.

Well, I don't know if it's due to nationality differences...but that sounds weird to me, because those first two things are more routine experiences, and refer more to what is done there by oneself. There are multiple reasons that one could go to a hospital building, and one might not know what's going to happen there, or how much time one will spend there.

by Simonreply 1302/15/2013

I like it.

by Simonreply 1402/15/2013

Hyacinth invites Elizabeth for "a coffee," which is why she never gets a refill.

by Simonreply 1502/15/2013

R5, we can omit the article when saying "going to school/work" because they are both verbs. One does not hospital.

by Simonreply 1602/15/2013

Americans say "he's in college" do they not? So then why is "he's in hospital" so strange?

by Simonreply 1702/15/2013

I still can't believe it that in certain parts of the UK they say "dinner" when they mean "lunch." And "tea" is so twee.

by Simonreply 1802/15/2013

City on fire! City on fire!

by Simonreply 1902/15/2013

I'm in hospital now so I'll ask sister. By the way Op are you at university?

by Simonreply 2002/15/2013

R13 is quite correct. Sorry, Brits.

by Simonreply 2102/15/2013

OP hasn't even his "O" levels, R21, never mind going to Uni.

by Simonreply 2202/15/2013

It should be "in hospitally."

by Simonreply 2302/15/2013

OP, I agree. The same with the word university.

by Simonreply 2402/15/2013

OP is inhospitable.

by Simonreply 2502/15/2013

What about PROM Blaine?

What about the PROM Blaine?

by Simonreply 2602/15/2013

Brits say "in hospital"...

...for the same reason that we say "in college" and not "in the college."

It makes sense.

by Simonreply 2702/15/2013

The English only invented the language. God forbid they are best placed to know how it is to be spoken. It's bad enough Americans invented the expression "I could care less". Explain that.

by Simonreply 2802/15/2013

OP, as English "separated" in the United States, the use of "in hospital" for some reason lost favor (favour) although other similar usages such as "in college" and "in school" stuck. I attribute that to the fact that many Americans don't have basic health care and are thus not acquainted with medical facilities.

by Simonreply 2902/15/2013

We go to church. They go to hospital. It's all cool.

by Simonreply 3002/15/2013

The English go to hospital. The Americans go to the mental hospital.

by Simonreply 3102/15/2013

My dad is English, and yet I will never understand "drink driving".

by Simonreply 3202/15/2013

How come on DOWNTON ABBEY they always say "THE hospital." I remember them saying that a couple times when poor Sybil was dying. There were other instances, too, in previous seasons.

by Simonreply 3302/15/2013

Renowned Professor Higgins asked why the English can't teach their children how to speak. Chickens cackling in a barn, just like this one.

by Simonreply 3402/15/2013

Why do they call a vacation a holiday?

by Simonreply 3502/15/2013

I guess the difference is that 'in hospital' means you don't have to pay and the government foots the bill. It's an annoying piece of linguistic modernism that hides a generous truth.

by Simonreply 3602/15/2013

I'm 19 and I'm in the college!

by Simonreply 3702/15/2013

The Ukraine?

by Simonreply 3802/15/2013

The Bronx?

by Simonreply 3902/15/2013

R26 I think leaving "the" off of PROM is something the kids do nowadays (it's all over US network TV), not the Brits.

by Simonreply 4002/15/2013

The prom thing is rather old. When I was a senior in 1997/1998, we asked "Who are you taking to prom?" and "Are you going to prom?" It's not a new phenomenon. I don't know when it started, though.

by Simonreply 4102/16/2013

R18, A holdover from the distant past. "Dinner" originally was the main formal meal of the day, which was served at noon. The last meal of the day, which was usually a light informal meal served between 4 and 6 pm was called either "supper" (from Old French "souper") or "tea." "Lunch" or "luncheon" simply referred to slices of bread or cheese that was eaten between meals, regardless of the time of day. In the 18th century, the fashionable people of England started following the Parisian tendency to postpone dinner until 7 pm, and would eat a light lunch, which became more than just slices of bread or cheese, in the daytime to stave off the hunger. The rural folks, however, continued to have their dinners at noon.

by Simonreply 4202/16/2013

They also say they "study maths", which just sounds retarded (and my spell checker is correct in actually flagging "maths" as a misspelling).

It's MATH. You study MATH. MATH is the subject. The plural of MATH is MATH.

by Simonreply 4302/16/2013

You study Mathematics. Maths is an abbreviated version.

by Simonreply 4402/16/2013

No, "Math" is the abbreviated form.

Seriously, just stop with the retarded-sounding "Maths", and stop trying to make up justifications and rationalizations for saying something that sounds so fucking stupid.

by Simonreply 4502/16/2013

Do you think the reason why Canadians and Australians retained the British spelling of words and British phrases (i.e. I'm going to university) because they didn't fight for their independence?

After the Americans revolted and founded the USA, they also made it a point of trying to distance themselves from the English. For example, they simplified a lot of the spelling, dropping U's (color instead of colour) and O's (e.g. fetus instead of foetus).

by Simonreply 4602/16/2013

No R45 Maths is the abbreviated colloquial form for Brits. Math sounds stupid to us because it's a singular form. Maths is the study of the plural mathematics (the study of the mathematical sciences). Maths is all of it, not just calculation, geometry, calculus, estimating etc.

by Simonreply 4702/16/2013

R46, I think it's because of the USA spelling reform movements of the late 19th Century which gave schools new rules or spelling. That and the influence of Webster's 1828 Dictionary

by Simonreply 4802/16/2013

It's how they learnt it at University...

by Simonreply 4902/16/2013

I'm Australian and I don't think we should use the term "maths".

Mathematics is the name of a discipline - it's not a plural. Just because it ends with an 's' (like physics but unlike chemistry or geology) doesn't mean we should end the abbreviation with an 's'.

Saying "maths" give the sense of using a plural where a plural doesn't exist.

by Simonreply 5002/16/2013

I'm sat in hospital and feeling pressurised by the stress.

by Simonreply 5102/16/2013

Mathematics is a group of disciplines.

by Simonreply 5202/16/2013

R50 is correct.

R52, so is Biology and Chemistry and Physics.

Sorry, but "Maths" is just wrong and ignorant.

by Simonreply 5302/16/2013

R53, "so are biology, chemistry and physics."

by Simonreply 5402/16/2013

Maths is hard.

by Simonreply 5502/16/2013

Erm R36, the government does not pay for the NHS. The people do.

by Simonreply 5602/16/2013

Are you lot saying we Britts don't speak perfect english? You're hurtin' me feelings mate!

by Simonreply 5702/16/2013

Well if the Americans don't like it you could always get your own bloody language.

by Simonreply 5802/16/2013

Whaevah, Eliza, you minging cow. Are you still hoping to be bonked by your professor? He's a poofter, you know.

by Simonreply 5902/16/2013

Oh dear! I'm frightfully confused!

by Simonreply 6002/16/2013

What about the Brits adding "the" to the proper names of streets? And I don't mean "the high street". I mean things like "the Holloway Road". It's v. annoying.

by Simonreply 6102/16/2013

R55, it's "Maths are hard." Plural.

R61, San Franciscans add "the" to the names of some of their neighborhoods, such as "the Mission", "the Haight", "the Tenderloin".

by Simonreply 6202/16/2013

The most annoying one is converting na to ner.

"Our late princess, Dia-ner"

Like nails on a chalkboard everytime I hear it. There is no R in the word dammit.

But it is their language OP, we're just borrowing it.

by Simonreply 6302/16/2013

So what exactly are "O" levels and is there a difference between a college and a university in the UK?

by Simonreply 6402/16/2013

R63, they only add the linking r to "Diana" (and other words eneding in 'a') if it's followed by a word beginning with a vowel sound so that it ends up sounding like one long word: "Dianerrand Dodi." Back when "Dynasty" was popular, Joan Collins would mention some co-star of hers named [italic]Linderevans[/italic].

by Simonreply 6502/16/2013

[quote]it's "Maths are hard." Plural.

No, it's "Math is hard". Singular. Just like "Chemistry is hard", or "Physics is hard", or "Biology is hard", or "Science is hard".

by Simonreply 6602/16/2013

They also spell "organization" with an s instead of a z. And even worse, they pronounce z like "zed"... as if it were a guy's name, and not a fucking letter of the alphabet.

Do they say their "aed bed ceds"? No, they say their "Aye, bee, cee's"... it's pronounced "ZEE" not "Zed" for chrissakes. So inconsistent and stupid and unnecessary.

by Simonreply 6702/16/2013

[quote]Do they say their "aed bed ceds"? No, they say their "Aye, bee, cee's"... it's pronounced "ZEE" not "Zed" for chrissakes. So inconsistent and stupid and unnecessary.

Well, if you're going to go with that logic, then why not fee, hee, kee, lee, mee, nee, ree, wee, yee?

Zed follows a natural evolution: zeta (Greek) > zeta (Latin) > zède (Old French, Modern French) > zed (English), ezed (Scots)

From my understanding, back in the day, many dialects of English were imported to the Colonies, so that there were several different and confusing ways of saying things. This included the last letter of the alphabet, 'z' - zed, ezed, izzard, zee. Noah Webster decided enough with all variations, and reformed, standardized, and Americanized the language, decreeing that 'z' was to be pronounced 'zee', like bee, cee, and dee (but again, why not fee, hee, kee... ? Oh, whatever.)

by Simonreply 6802/16/2013

Americans don't even know how full of annoying Americanisms their speech is.

by Simonreply 6902/16/2013

Somethinwrongwithat, R69?

by Simonreply 7002/16/2013

I actually like Americanisms, mostly.

But 'right now' always sounds peculiar.

& some people who pronounce roof, 'ruf'.

& route, ROWTE.

& why 'erb'? There's an 'H' there!

'Our salad comes with a creamy 'erb dressing'.

by Simonreply 7102/16/2013

You do the math, R70.

by Simonreply 7202/16/2013

[quote]The most annoying one is converting na to ner.

I thought that was a regional thing. I love how they pronounce the girl's name, Louiser, on Doc Martin. It is very pronounced and it doesn't matter what comes after it. I think that was in Cornwall, so maybe it is more pronounced down there.

by Simonreply 7302/16/2013

They do that 'er' thing in Massachusetts, too. My grandparents, who were brought up in the North Andover area and still reside there, call their daughters "Linder" and "Pauler," and ask you to put the "fox" on the table and if you'd like some "cohn" on the cob.

by Simonreply 7402/16/2013

R74 the 'er' thing you are speaking of are non-rhotic accents. Non-rhoticity is featured in many accents in England, Australia, New Zealand, and the New England region of the United States notable Boston, among others.African American Vernacular English (AAVE) is largely non-rhotic.

by Simonreply 7502/16/2013

R61 - you mean like THE 405, etc. in Los Angeles?

by Simonreply 7602/17/2013

The most annoying Americanism is one I grew up around (and never took part in). It's a fly-over thing I'm sure... but it's also with adding "Rs" where they don't belong:

Saying "Warsh" instead of "wash".

And "Eye-Dee-Err" instead of "idea".

Ugh. I grew up around people saying this crap all the time. I am proud I never sunk to that level of repugnance.

by Simonreply 7702/17/2013

Instead, you became both an insufferable bore and a mincing prisspot, R77. Congratulations on your lonely life!

by Simonreply 7802/17/2013

I had a friend in university who read philosophy and also sat for theology. She never got a job, eventually signed on the dole and now lives in a council house.

by Simonreply 7902/17/2013

Taking away the article before a job title seems demeaning to my ear.

Saying "Go talk to cook about dinner," makes it sound patronizing and as if all people who work as cooks are interchangeable.

Also, the constant use of diminutives in British speech just sounds childish.

by Simonreply 8002/17/2013

There is no grammatical rule, it's just how the language evolved in both countries. Some Brits still might still ask 'What are you doing at the weekend?' Canadians don't, though their spelling still mirrors British spelling much more closely than it does American. Americans typically ask 'What are you doing this weekend?'

In British English, a few "institutional" nouns take no definite article when a certain role is implied: for example, at sea [as a sailor], in prison [as a convict]. Among this group, Commonwealth English has in hospital [as a patient] and at university [as a student].

In the case of a patient the article is not used and the statement "She is in hospital." implies that she is being treated as an in-patient. The word "hospital" does not refer here to a specific building. Whereas, when the person concerned is not a patient the definite article is usual and in this case refers to a building and not a care system.

American similarities are the judge saying 'I'll see you in chambers' or a litigant threatening 'I'll see you in court.' No other role or function is reasonably implied by the statement.

Dian-r is an example of the intrusive R, a phenomenon. Intrusive r occurs when speakers want to avoid two vowel sounds occurring next to each other ie law and order... it evolved largely because it's easier to pronounce. You hear it sometimes in Bostonian, Long Island and other regional accents of the upper US Northeast as well. It's long and boring and unrelated to rules of pronunciation as much as how pronunciation evolves in regional dialects. There's a whole long boring explanation of it at link, if you can't sleep.

by Simonreply 8102/17/2013

[quote]I had a friend in university who read philosophy and also sat for theology. She never got a job, eventually signed on the dole and now lives in a council house.

I had a friend [bold]at[/bold] university who read philosophy and also sat for theology. She never got a job, eventually signed on the dole and now lives in a council [bold]flat[/bold].

by Simonreply 8202/17/2013

Egad, this discussion has me in coma.

by Simonreply 8302/17/2013

Thanks, R42, for the "dinner" explanation. They still say it on Coronation Street.

by Simonreply 8402/17/2013

R76 It's one thing when they call their road "THE 405" out there in LaLaLand, but if I hear them say "THE 95" one more time on CRIMINAL MINDS, I am going to reach through my TV and pull Reid's hair until he promises never to say it again.

by Simonreply 8502/17/2013

When did Los Angelenos start saying "the" in front of route numbers instead of calling their freeways by name? In the late '70s, we said "the San Diego" or "the Hollywood" or "the Santa Monica" when we spoke of the freeway we drove on. I first recall hearing "the 10" on the episode of DOOGIE HOWSER MD that dealt with the Rodney King riots, so the change had to have happened sometime in the '80s.

by Simonreply 8602/17/2013

In California, they say "The 10" ... in Texas, they say "I-10" ("Eye-Ten").

by Simonreply 8702/17/2013

R87 In most of the country, they would say "Eye-Ten."

"The Ten" doesn't even make sense.

by Simonreply 8802/17/2013

The flip side of this, of course, is Americans adding a "the" where it is not needed, especially the older generation.

"I am going to The Targets." No, it's just Target, singular. No "the" needed.

by Simonreply 8902/17/2013

R89 I, an "older generation American," went to Target today. Not "the Targets." Not "the Target." Just "Target." No "the" needed.

by Simonreply 9002/17/2013

r54, please learn the Oh,Dear.

by Simonreply 9102/17/2013

That's fantastic, R90.

I did NOT say that every single older person speaks that way, so try not to get your panties in a wad.

However, I hear many people, primarily older people, pluralizing proper names.

by Simonreply 9202/17/2013

Same reason they say "at university."

And "at holiday."

by Simonreply 9302/17/2013

Nobody says "at holiday"

by Simonreply 9402/17/2013

What's with Brits pronouncing Lisa as Leeza? It's an s, not a z. Lisa's hubby even pronounces it that way on RHOBH. And why do Brits pronounce Liza as Leeza, too? Like Liza Minnelli. What's up with that. It's simply incorrect.

by Simonreply 9502/17/2013

I meant "on holiday."

by Simonreply 9602/17/2013

Oh, piss off, you sad twats!

by Simonreply 9702/17/2013

Actually, R92, what you were shrieking about in R89 was the insertion of "the" where it does not belong (with which I agree, BTW, older than you though I appear to be).

You didn't say anything about the (presumably improper) pluralization of proper names until R92.

I don't hear *pluralization* of proper nouns as often as I hear possessives that shouldn't be possessives. For example, there was a restaurant down the street from me called the Trio Restaurant at one point in my life which everyone but me called "Trio's." I wonder if that phenomenon is what you're talking about.

The two main grocery chains in that city were Safeway and Giant, and some people would say they were going to Safeway's or to Giant's (I don't recall a "the" being inserted, though).

Oh, and FWIW, it was always *younger* people than myself who apostrophized names in this manner. I've always thought of this impropriety as a Gen-Xism.

by Simonreply 9802/17/2013

R18/R42, one still hears [italic]dinner[/italic] for "lunch" and [italic]supper[/italic] for "dinner" in parts of the South as well as in the UK.

R89, my partner's mom (from northwest Alabama) says "The Walmarks." And "Pubelix" for "Publix."

by Simonreply 9902/17/2013

Sorry, blokes, I missed all this I was busy this evening. I've been at Penis.

by Simonreply 10002/17/2013

I like when people insert "that", like "I watched that Beyonce during that halftime show they had on the TV." Inserting "them" is also interesting, like "Them Ravens at that Super Bowl was good."

by Simonreply 10102/18/2013

R82, Council house is also correct and more likely depending upon where you live.

by Simonreply 10202/18/2013

OP "Hospital" is not an adjective when you say "in hospital."

by Simonreply 10302/18/2013

That's just what I was about to say. Council house is perfectly fine, r82.

R95 is another one who's got it wrong.

by Simonreply 10402/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!