Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do people take drugs?

Not so much the prescription kind (although way too many people like taking- and talking about- their pretty little pills), but the heroin, coke, marijuana, etc.?

I've never taken anything, and I don't understand when I read a story about oxycodone, meth, etc.

What's the attraction?

by Anonymousreply 1202/16/2013

Pack mentality. Followers. Heteros.

by Anonymousreply 102/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 202/15/2013

Alcohol is probably the most abused drug in the USA, op, and you don't even mention it.

Prescription drugs are abused more than hard drugs, but they get a "public pass" because pharmaceutical companies are profiteering immoral scabs.

by Anonymousreply 302/15/2013

Because it leads to a feeling of euphoria, relaxation, inhibition, and usually feeling pretty fucking awesome.

by Anonymousreply 402/15/2013

R4 = meth queen who hasn't come down from his bender yet.

by Anonymousreply 502/15/2013

I'm with ya, OP. Never understood why you want to risk your life with that shit.

by Anonymousreply 602/16/2013

Well besides offering at least momentary pleasure, illicit drugs also can offer intoxicating feelings of rebellion and nonconformity.

In this sense, they got me through high school when I didn't feel like I could really fit in.

by Anonymousreply 702/16/2013

Because life is miserable?

by Anonymousreply 802/16/2013

OP, over the years I've come to the conclusion that most people who abuse drugs have a chemical imbalance in the first place. All these illegal drug users are trying to do is to feel the way "normal" people feel all the time -- mostly happy and content.

I got clean and sober many years ago, but I was suffering from clinical depression and I didn't know it. I was miserable for 15 years before I started taking anti-depressants. Now I'm happy most of the time -- and when I'm sad, there's a reason. It's truly a wonderful life.

And I don't think my experience is that unusual. I mean, I remember wanting to commit suicide back when I was 12 years old. Who wouldn't want to alter their mental state to relieve that pain?

by Anonymousreply 902/16/2013

Because they're fun!

In moderation. E can be really great and its pretty safe but it's something to limit taking just a few times a year, if that.

by Anonymousreply 1002/16/2013

What R10 said. This idea that people who take drugs are somehow damaged is just nonsense. People who have drug problems do tend to have difficult histories, but lots of people use drugs recreationally in their teens and twenties and just grow out of it.

In my friendship circle nearly everyone has at the very least smoked a bit of hash or taken a few E's and some have gone further that that, including myself. I spent every weekend for a few years clubbing and taking various substances. I never was off work on a Monday and functioned perfectly normally. I didn't take drugs because i was abused or had mental health problems or needed to escape from my life, I took drugs because i enjoyed them and i usually had a fucking great time.

I don't take drugs now and neither do any of my friends as we just grew out of it. None of us appear to have been significantly effected by the experience.

None of use needed to go through the 12 steps - we just grew up and moved on like the vast majority of people who use drugs.

by Anonymousreply 1102/16/2013

What an interesting question, OP.

People take drugs to make people like you seem interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1202/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!