Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The US exports its fat-making expertise to Scotland

Krispy Kremes cause chaos in Edinburgh streets

Pedestrians and drivers queue for up to two hours after US doughnut chain opens first Scottish store

Shiv Malik and agencies; The Guardian, Friday 15 February 2013 13.28 EST

Edinburgh police have had to marshal hundreds of cars and pedestrians to prevent a third day of traffic chaos at a newly opened Krispy Kreme doughnut store in the city.

Seventy-two hours after the US chain's first Scottish outlet opened, drivers were still queueing for up to an hour to get their fill on Friday. The day before Lothian and Borders police urged motorists to avoid the western side of Edinburgh altogether due to the chaos. Patrol cars were sent to Hermiston Gait retail park to try to stop Krispy Kreme customers causing gridlock when a mile-long tailback began backing on to the M8.

Edinburgh Evening News reported that pedestrians were queuing in wintry conditions for up to an hour, but the delays caused by banked-up cars had been worse, with motorists waiting in line for the drive-through service for up to two hours.

Napier University students Melinda Garrott and Elise Setter told the paper they took public transport to reach the store after getting free samples in the city centre.

Garrott said: "We got the bus. It's about 25 to 30 minutes, but we had no idea where the store was so we got lost. It was raining – we had to get a taxi. We then waited about 40 minutes in the queue, but they gave us free doughnuts so it was OK."

Health campaigners said they were appalled at the number of people prepared to wait in their cars to buy the cholesterol-packed snacks.

Tam Fry, for the National Obesity Forum, said: "If Edinburgh is overweight today then it will certainly be obese by tomorrow."

by Anonymousreply 2502/19/2013

I live in a smaller community and do not eat doughnuts. I avoid them because they are pure poison, nor do I eat more than 30 grams of sugar a day. The bigger city about 70 miles away got the first KC some time ago and the city went mad for them. One of my local grocery chains starting carrying their doughnuts here locally. I thought I had to try them, bought a dozen, telling myself I would eat only one per day. Nice idea, however before that day was over I had eaten everyone one of them. That I survived was enough to recommit myself to abstinence

by Anonymousreply 102/15/2013

I wonder if some city in the US had to open up an "All You Can Eat Haggis Store" in exchange.

by Anonymousreply 202/15/2013

is that Scotland, R1

by Anonymousreply 302/15/2013

Some tofu and a pat on the head for r1

by Anonymousreply 402/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 502/18/2013

[quote]"Some tofu and a pat on the head for [R1]"- R4

The fact that R4 implies that tofu is the only alternative to an industrial-flour-sugar-mystery fat fest tells us a lot more about him/her than it does about R1.

by Anonymousreply 602/18/2013

Considering some of the things they eat (those sausages, Scottish shortbread, etc...) Krispy Kreme is the least of their worries.

by Anonymousreply 702/18/2013

They fry everything, even their pizza! Yes, they have pizza now. I don't know how good it is though, I mean, fried pizza made by Angus Mcdougal? I think not.

by Anonymousreply 802/18/2013

I've never had one. Is a Krispy Creme really better than any other doughnut out there? What makes it so super special? I'm betting it's marketing more than the actual doughnut.

by Anonymousreply 902/18/2013

[quote]What makes it so super special?

Nothing huge, but if you like Donuts, they do them well. Frying anything makes it better, and they're extra fresh if you get them when their little gimmicky sign lights up. A simple glazed, freshly made Krispy Kreme donut melts in your mouth.

A Krispy Kreme donut is to, say, a "Dunkin Donuts" donut as a "Five Guys Burger" are to a McDonalds burger.

At the end of the day it's still just a donut or burger and not worth standing in line for hours for, but done better.

by Anonymousreply 1002/18/2013

I lived in NYC when KK first opened stores and people were lined up on the street to buy them.

Twenty yeas later they did the same thing for Shake Shack.

by Anonymousreply 1102/18/2013

AND twenty years later, R11 - there is only ONE Krispy Kreme store left in NYC. The others have all shuttered. It's a fad food that ended when healthier eating became the norm in NYC at least.

by Anonymousreply 1202/18/2013

It's the same way in So Cal, R12. They used to be all over the place here after the first couple of them opened up, with long lines every time a new one opened. Eventually all of the grocery stores here carried the donuts as well.

Now there's less than a handful of stores here. You can't find them in any of the grocery stores either.

I think there was some issue with the lone franchisee here and the mother ship made him close all of the stores due to some underhanded dealings.

by Anonymousreply 1302/18/2013

This is not a US Government idea. Don't act like The United States is doing it. A company is doing it. It is not like Scottland was a great bastion of healthy eats before they saw a doughnut.

by Anonymousreply 1402/18/2013

It was an early 2000s fad. They expanded way to fast and crashed in a number of places, like Australia. I don't much care for sweets, so the whole donut obsession some parts of the US has eludes me. Plus a single donut in the morning has a laxative effect on me that will have me running to the toilet 30 minutes later.

by Anonymousreply 1502/18/2013

Krispy Kreme doughnuts are like spun, deep fried sugar with air. Give me Top Pot donuts. It's a Seattle brand, but Starbucks uses their recipe in its stores. Only reason to go to Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 1602/18/2013

To many people in the world.

We're just helping out the planet, by feeding them our crap food.

kK's are good when fresh however. They really do just melt in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 1702/18/2013

They are the crack cocaine of donuts, no doubt. However, they leave a really bad sugar headache afterwards. And if you don't have them right out of the oven, they lose alot of their allure.

In Florida you can buy them in 7-11s, but they may be a few days old.

by Anonymousreply 1802/18/2013

[quote]Krispy Kreme doughnuts are like spun, deep fried sugar with air.

...with white sugar sprinkled all over. I could never get past all those levels of cooked and uncooked white white white sugar, but circa 2000, the donuts were considered worthy gems, and when a co-worker brought in a box and offered me one, it was often in hushed, almost religious tones, so I had to accept with enthusiasm, and then deal with all that white, white, white, white sugar.

by Anonymousreply 1902/18/2013

I really never liked them. They just seemed to lack substance. Give me a Dunkin' Donut any day though. Actually, the DONUT stores with the yellow signs are pretty good too. They all seem to be owned by Vietnamese.

by Anonymousreply 2002/18/2013

[quote]Actually, the DONUT stores with the yellow signs are pretty good too. They all seem to be owned by Vietnamese.

The donuts are good, but you have to be careful -- many of the owners go psycho when you don't buy coffee too.

by Anonymousreply 2102/18/2013

[quote]Plus a single donut in the morning has a laxative effect on me that will have me running to the toilet 30 minutes later.

Really, r15? Thanks for sharing. Apparently, you've reached that stage of life where you need to share details of your bowels with strangers. Go walk around the mall in your sweat suit and sneakers.

by Anonymousreply 2202/18/2013

A lot of people get "donut stomach." The donut tastes good when you eat it but a half an hour later, there's indigestion.

Krispy Kreme does not give donut stomach. That's why a lot of people like them so much.

I swear they use baby cereal in their donut mix.

by Anonymousreply 2302/18/2013

Be careful of donut shops in Korea Town, LA.

I've seen owners retrieve used styrofoam cups and paper soda cups from the trash bins, rinse and refill them for new customers.

I used to be homeless, so I know things.

by Anonymousreply 2402/19/2013

What makes Krispy Kreme unique are their glazed donuts. They literally melt in your mouth if hot out of the oven (I've also had success replicating the effect by microwaving cold ones at home). People stand in line to get the hot glazed and the mouth-melting experience. Their other donuts, IMO, are nothing special, and better can be found elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 2502/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.