Soccer player Robbie Rogers comes out

He's cute

by Anonymousreply 25306/30/2015

"The world's wide open for him now."

And I for him.

by Anonymousreply 102/15/2013

DAMN! He's hot.

by Anonymousreply 202/15/2013

I'm sure he'll probably get lots of tail out of this...

by Anonymousreply 302/15/2013

Now, when will a major team sport dude come out and remain in the game. The message being sent is that being openly gay or bisexual is not compatible with being an active player.

by Anonymousreply 402/15/2013

OMFG

by Anonymousreply 502/15/2013

Oh dear, I'm getting moist.

He's a hot little number.

by Anonymousreply 602/15/2013

He sounds like a real sweetheart. I think he'd make a great friend ... with or without benefits.

by Anonymousreply 702/15/2013

It's kind of sad, "If you want to get traded, be friends with Robbie Rogers." Was this homophobia? Quite possibly.

by Anonymousreply 802/15/2013

Check out 3:05 on R2's video. All his roommates get traded. Aw.

by Anonymousreply 902/15/2013

He must have the perfect ass, lightly furry, vice-grip tight.

Who knew Columbus had any hotties?

I wonder (and by wonder, I mean hope) he has daddy issues.

by Anonymousreply 1002/15/2013

yeah he's pretty cute

by Anonymousreply 1102/15/2013

[quote]U.S. National Team Member Robbie Rogers Comes Out As Gay, Walks Away From Soccer

Yawn. Another one with no guts to come out WHILE they're in the sport and instead wait until their career is over.

by Anonymousreply 1202/15/2013

Being openly gay = career killer

At least he didn't wait until he was in his 60s.

by Anonymousreply 1302/15/2013

He looks as if he might be related to himself a few times over.

by Anonymousreply 1402/15/2013

Good for him, but he's just average looking at best.

by Anonymousreply 1502/15/2013

Post your pic, R15.

by Anonymousreply 1602/15/2013

You first, R16.

by Anonymousreply 1702/15/2013

He's cute, athletic, and rich. Boyfriend material.

by Anonymousreply 1802/15/2013

[quote]Another one with no guts to come out WHILE they're in the sport and instead wait until their career is over.

Over? He's only 25 and still has some good years ahead.

by Anonymousreply 1902/15/2013

"Boyfriend material."

Gurlina, that's prime, Grade A husband material.

by Anonymousreply 2002/15/2013

I don't think he's rich. It seems like he was playing in GB and was let go by his team.

by Anonymousreply 2102/15/2013

[quote]Being openly gay = career killer

That's changing awfully fast.

by Anonymousreply 2202/15/2013

His career hasn't exactly been stellar and it's been plagued by injuries that resulted in long lay ups. He really didn't have many USMNT caps for his age and hasn't seen action with them in over a year. His career was esentiailly waning.

by Anonymousreply 2302/15/2013

he's cute as hell!

by Anonymousreply 2402/15/2013

The shirtless pic emerges at last

by Anonymousreply 2502/15/2013

Shirtless pic is way photoshopped.

Look through his Twitter photos - he gonged. Anyone who didn't know he was gay had to have been blind.

by Anonymousreply 2602/15/2013

Meh. Weird scrunched up face. Wouldn't look at him twice on the streets of Chelsea.

by Anonymousreply 2702/15/2013

Too cute. Good for him for coming out.

by Anonymousreply 2802/15/2013

Hot pixxx!

by Anonymousreply 2902/15/2013

Are you kidding? He's super-hot! If you don't want him, I'll gladly take him

by Anonymousreply 3002/15/2013

Cute. Seems nice and down to earth. And no gayvoice! I want him.

by Anonymousreply 3102/15/2013

Why did he decide to quit though?

by Anonymousreply 3302/15/2013

Reaction in the soccer world is supportive:

by Anonymousreply 3402/16/2013

I think that once the team let him go last month he saw this as an opportunity to finally take the big step. Coming out, even till this day, is still a scary thing. Especially so when you're a professional athlete. Talk of the "creator" also leads me to believe that he grew up with religiously minded parents which is also hard. I'm glad he came out and every single person that does is one more chink in the armor of homophobia in the world.

by Anonymousreply 3502/16/2013

r36 is crazy and/or jealous. What is with the damaged queens on this board who reflexively bash any and everyone that comes out of the closet? Why do some of you automatically hate out gay men while you lust after straights and closet cases?

Kindly FUCK OFF. I'm so sick of some of you on here...

by Anonymousreply 3802/16/2013

R36/r37 = same troll. Time stamp reveals all.

by Anonymousreply 3902/16/2013

Im going to assume he was going to retire regardless if he came out or not. Very few quit something their succesful in for personal reasons.

Yes he is very handsome though, none of you jealous bitches would kick him out of bed.

by Anonymousreply 4002/16/2013

His face is busted, but he's a brave soul. Good for him.

Hopefully he inspires someone hot to come out of the closet.

by Anonymousreply 4102/16/2013

I'm shocked I tells ya! Shocked!

by Anonymousreply 4202/16/2013

Okay, all jokes aside, his name is Robert Hampton Rogers III and he's quitting professional soccer to focus more time on his menswear line...It was pretty obvious he was "hiding" in plain sight.

by Anonymousreply 4302/16/2013

The thing with many gay people is they come out then say everyone was ok with it. If everyone was ok with it you would have went about your life in a different way; you would have gotten a boyfriend when you were 14, taken him to the prom, taken him out to eat, you would put posters of men on your walls, etc. Is the reason gay people continue to delay their coming out past their teen years because their peer group, mostly, will have jobs therefore responsibility to stay out of trouble and their parents are older and more docile? There is no doubt these coming outs are planned to avoid confrontation. Robbie came out at the last moments he was a professional soccer player.

by Anonymousreply 4402/16/2013

Are his parents British? He has one of those British looking faces.

by Anonymousreply 4602/16/2013

He's extremely cute in the video, but his face looks a bit weird in pics.

But I'll go with him being super cute since video is more accurate than pictures.

by Anonymousreply 4702/16/2013

And then there's Tom Daley who's gaybaiting or tip-toeing out of the closet with every new picture he's in.

by Anonymousreply 4802/16/2013

Robbie Rogers is not gay!

by Anonymousreply 4902/16/2013

Warm, moist and inviting soccer anus...

by Anonymousreply 5002/16/2013

I tried yelling you all, but nobody would listen.

by Anonymousreply 5102/16/2013

Now, if Argentina's Messi ever announced he was gay, then we're talking BIG news!

by Anonymousreply 5202/16/2013

[quote]Now, if Argentina's Messi ever announced he was gay, then we're talking BIG news!

Ah, no.

by Anonymousreply 5302/16/2013

United States international Robbie Rogers has said it is “impossible” to remain in soccer after publicly declaring your homosexuality.

The 25-year-old, who last played for English second-tier side Leeds United, said last month he was stepping away from football after becoming only the third professional footballer to announce he was gay.

“In football it’s obviously impossible to come out,” Rogers said in an interview with the Guardian newspaper on Friday.

“Imagine going to training every day and being in that spotlight?

”It’s been a bit of a circus anyway,“ he said, adding that the reaction of his team mates was an issue he had to contend with when deciding whether to come out while still playing.

The Californian-born player, who has 18 international caps, also played for Heerenveen in the Netherlands and made 106 league appearances for U.S. club Columbus Crew before moving to Leeds United and then going on loan to League One (third tier) Stevenage.

His time in England though was blighted by injuries, and he was released by Leeds in January.

”I know things will change. There will be gay footballers. I just don’t know when and how long it will take,“ Rogers said.

”The next step is how do you create an atmosphere where men and women feel it’s OK to come out and continue to play? It’s a great question.

“Football has so much history. It’s a great sport with so much culture and tradition. But I’m positive there will be changes.”

’VERY FEARFUL’

Rogers, who last appeared for the U.S. in 2011, explained his doubts before he decided to make his sexuality known.

“I was very fearful how my team mates were going to react. Was it going to change them?

”Even though I’d still be the same person would it change the way they acted towards me - when we were in the dressing room or the bus?

“Adding the gay aspect doesn’t make a great cocktail,” he said, and admitted he did not know whether he would be able to stand up to the likely abuse he would receive if he carried on playing.

“I might be strong enough but I don’t know if that’s really what I want. I’d just want to be a footballer. I wouldn’t want to deal with the circus. Are people coming to see you because you’re gay?”

He was also concerned by the reaction of opposition fans and the media.

“If you’re playing well it will be reported as: ’The gay footballer is playing well’.

”And if you have a bad game it’ll be: ’Aw, that gay dude, he’s struggling because he’s gay’.“

Only two other footballers have previously publicly said they were gay - former England Under-21 international Justin Fashanu who committed suicide in 1998 aged 37, eight years after coming out, and Swedish lower league player Anton Hysen, son of former Liverpool defender Glenn Hysen. (Reporting by Mike Collett; Editing by Alison Wildey) REUTERS

by Anonymousreply 5403/29/2013

What a pussy.

by Anonymousreply 5503/29/2013

Robbie Rogers: why coming out as gay meant I had to leave football

In February the former Leeds winger revealed his sexuality, then walked away from the game. In his first interview since that decision, he explains his anger, and his hopes for the future

by Anonymousreply 5603/29/2013

West Ham footballer Matt Jarvis: "People ask my wife if I’m gay because of my [italic]Attitude[/italic] magazine shoot."

West Ham footballer Matt Jarvis says posing topless for [italic]Attitude[/italic] magazine has meant that people have asked his wife about his sexuality.

The 26-year-old winger, who is heterosexual, appeared on the cover of Attitude magazine in January and gave an interview saying that gay footballers should be open about their sexuality.

Jarvis admits he was surprised by how much attention he received from his fellow football colleagues and by the media.

Commenting at a recent anti-homophobia FA event, the Mail reports he said: “If I’m completely honest I didn’t think it would get as much exposure as it did. But then that just shows the power of football. Looking back, it’s good I could help in that scenario.

“It’s hard to break down those barriers and if, as a professional footballer, I can help in a slight way then maybe it can help in the long run. Obviously it was out there for me but sometimes you’ve got to be brave. It was an opportunity I got given and I thought it would be an honour to do it.”

He added: “I didn’t realise it would be such a big deal. In any other job, any other scenario, why would this be a big deal? But because of football it’s magnified. A lot of people who my wife knew were actually asking her if I was gay. It’s like, ‘Well, we’re married. I’m sure she would know!’”

Britain’s only openly gay professional footballer Justin Fashanu killed himself in 1998 after struggles with homophobic bullying.

On the prospect of another UK professional player coming out, Jarvis said: “It is a hard decision for someone to make (to come out). With all the pressure of just performing as a footballer, to then go out on a pitch and know that the away fans are going to be using that to their advantage to heckle you to not perform to your best ability.

“For the home fans it would be like any other thing. They would get behind their team. But it’s one to think about for the away fans. You want your team to win, so if you can put anyone else off their game, then you would.”

He added: “For a footballer, thinking what people are going to say – that side of things – it might be quite hard to keep your performances at a really high standard.”

by Anonymousreply 5703/29/2013

The editor of a Christian magazine has weighed into the debate over there being no openly gay US professional athletes, said that being gay is “clearly a sin”, and that gay NFL players should not come out.

Jennifer LeClaire, hatemonger and news editor of [italic]Charisma[/italic] magazine, a publication for pentecostal Christians, sent an email bulletin with the suggestion that gay athletes should not come out.

LeClaire wrote that gay NFL players should stay in the closet, as by coming out they would be “shining a positive light” on the “sin” of homosexuality.

She continued to say that the “radical gay agenda” was pushing a PR campaign to “recruit kids”, and questioned how Christians should respond.

by Anonymousreply 5803/29/2013

More from hatemonger Jennifer LeClaire:

“When I was a kid, watching football on Sunday afternoons was a family tradition for many on my block. But as the gay agenda makes its public relations push from all sides, expect to see more gay professional athletes coming out of the closet in 2013, especially if the US Supreme Court validates gay marriage at a federal level before football season begins.

“In an age of openly gay clergy preaching the gospel, it wouldn’t be nearly as shocking to see a muscle-bound NFL pro doing a wacky dance after scoring a touchdown. But you can bet whoever comes out first will be the poster child for the radical gay agenda’s campaigns as they seek to make all things LGBT mainstream in a nation under God that’s divided on gay marriage,” she continued.

by Anonymousreply 5903/29/2013

Robbie was supposed to have an interview featured on both Nightline and AC360 yesterday.

But because of the Boston coverage he was bumped of course. I assume the interviews will be rescheduled for a slower news day.

by Anonymousreply 6004/16/2013

I'd hit dat.

by Anonymousreply 6104/16/2013

I grew up in Columbus... that video was clearly shot in the Short North, which is the arts district, and gay central.

by Anonymousreply 6204/16/2013

Can't with that face. Good for him though.

by Anonymousreply 6304/16/2013

Interesting that he felt the need to come out of the closet. I mean, it's good for him to be visible as a gay man, but he registers as a Richard Simmons on the gay scale.

by Anonymousreply 6404/17/2013

After courageously announcing that he was gay and stepping away from the game earlier this year, it is being widely reported that Robbie Rogers is training with LA. To be clear, this doesn't mean that he is set to return to MLS imminently. To be realistic, in my opinion this seems to set the stage for a potential return to the league and the game. While it is possible that he just wants to get some activity in since he lives in LA, it is also quite likely that an absence from the game has gotten his craving for soccer going again. Right now only Robbie knows for sure.

If Rogers does in fact return to MLS, it sets up an interesting scenario that could either net the Fire a new player or some compensation in return for Rogers. As most of us probably recall, the Fire still hold Robbie's MLS rights. That means that any team hoping to pry him away from the Men in Red will have to work out some form of compensation.

If Robbie does return, it seems fairly obvious that he would love to have the chance to play for LA. He never did seem too keen to play for the Fire before he announced that he was stepping away from the game. While it is possible the Fire could work something out, I think it's much more likely that we deal his rights if Rogers does in fact announce that he is coming back.

The question then becomes what sort of compensation would be in the cards? Straight allocation money? A player swap? A mixture of the two? Unfortunately there is no way to tell until Rogers officially announces his return and the Fire start talking terms. And rather than just LA and Chicago being involved in talks as most people are expecting, at least one other team is rumored to be interested in Robbie Rogers. While Sigi Schmid didn't expressly state they would go after him, he certainly sounds like they would look at an option like that.

In the event of multiple teams being interested, it could create quite a transaction. The Fire could decide to deal with LA, then let LA choose whether they want to sell him on. Or, the Fire could essentially start a bidding war and take the highest price. Again, this is all speculation and in the end may not happen. With the Men in Red needing help in multiple areas, holding Rogers rights could be very advantageous.

This figures to be an interesting next week or two as this story continues to develop. Keep an eye on HTIOT as we will be sure to bring you all the latest updates as they occur.

by Anonymousreply 6504/30/2013

He is fucking gorgeous. Immediately put him to the front of the queue of superhot gays. And out AND an athlete/sportsman to boot. We need more of this.

And typical that it was a bloody Yank to do it! lol. It's almost comical. When will we ever get an openly gay British footballer in the Premier League. It is about the most homophobic of sports. Oh to be in the changing room though.

by Anonymousreply 6605/06/2013

Last night on the ESPN broadcast of the Galaxy match, the broadcasters talked about the situation with Robbie working out with the team during practice.

They said that the Galaxy definitely want to sign Rogers and that Rogers definitely wants to play for them so it's now only a matter of Chicago coming to terms with LA so that Rogers can be traded or released from his contract.

So according to the ESPN guys, it's very very likely that the 'retired' Robbie Rogers will be playing for the Galaxy later this year.

by Anonymousreply 6705/06/2013

Well whaddya know, just as I was saying that...

by Anonymousreply 6805/06/2013

I follow him on Instagram. Such a cutie. Seems sorta innocent from his writings.

by Anonymousreply 6905/07/2013

He needs his dick sucked by me!

by Anonymousreply 7005/17/2013

Is he returning to futbol?

by Anonymousreply 7105/20/2013

I don't think there have been any updates, or at least nothing officially reported yet, r71. The story last week was that the LA Galaxy is actively seeking a trade with Chicago Fire to bring Robbie into their fold.

As Robbie has said, if he comes out of his retirement to play in the league again, he doesn't want to do it with the team that would hold his current contract. (Hello Dwight Howard level Diva-ism!?!?) He even tweeted an apology (of sorts) to anyone offended by his not wanting to play for Chicago. He claims his decision has nothing to do with not liking the Fire, but rather that he needs to be close to his family at this time....whatever that means.

Landon Donovan got some press late last week for saying that he believes Robbie joining the Galaxy would be great for their team, and for US soccer in general.

by Anonymousreply 7205/20/2013

Rogers coming back as first openly gay player in MLS

Guess which club...?

by Anonymousreply 7305/24/2013

Coming out and coming back — each was a difficult decision for Robbie Rogers, and one complicated the other.

He told the world in February that he is gay and at the same moment said he was leaving soccer. Now, Rogers is reversing field and has agreed to terms with the Los Angeles Galaxy, according to two people familiar with the negotiations. Both spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because the Galaxy has not announced the deal.

Rogers will be the first active openly gay player in Major League Soccer.

He also hopes to play for the U.S. national team in the 2014 World Cup — and to be the role model for gay teens that he wished he'd had.

Rogers' epiphany to return to the game came when he spoke to a group of about 500 kids at the Nike Be True LGBT Youth Forum in Portland last month.

"I seriously felt like a coward," he tells USA TODAY Sports in an exclusive interview about his return. "These kids are standing up for themselves and changing the world, and I'm 25, I have a platform and a voice to be a role model. How much of a coward was I to not step up to the plate?"

And so, newly turned 26, he will step onto the pitch again. He couldn't imagine such a thing when he told his secret in February, writing an open letter on his website and linking to it with this pithy tweet: "Just getting some sh*t off my chest."

That was Feb. 15. About six weeks later he told The Guardian why he'd chosen not to play soccer anymore:

"I wouldn't want to deal with the circus. Are people coming to see you because you're gay? Would I want to do interviews every day, where people are asking: 'So you're taking showers with guys — how's that?'

"If you're playing well it will be reported as: 'The gay footballer is playing well.' And if you have a bad game it'll be: 'Aw, that gay dude … he's struggling because he's gay.' (Expletive) it. I don't want to mess with that."

Then, on April 25, Rogers appeared at the LGBT youth forum. Days later, NBA player Jason Collins came out. That made a much bigger splash in American media than had Rogers' announcement. For one thing, Collins was an active player — or, at least as a free agent, he hoped to play again. For another, as an NBA player he was from one of the four major North American team sports.

Rogers was out of his sport — and his sport was soccer. Still, he's had a more consequential career than Collins in several respects. The winger has played for the U.S. national team in 18 international matches. He won the 2005 NCAA championship with the University of Maryland. He led the Columbus Crew to the MLS Cup in 2008, when he was named to the MLS Best XI (for the league's top 11 players).

He'd just been released by the English soccer team Leeds United when he announced his sexual orientation and his retirement in a 408-word post on robbiehrogers.com, writing in part:

"Life is simple when your secret is gone. Gone is the pain that lurks in the stomach at work, the pain from avoiding questions. … Secrets can cause so much internal damage. … Try convincing yourself that your creator has the most wonderful purpose for you even though you were taught differently.

"I always thought I could hide this secret. Football was my escape, my purpose, my identity. … Now is my time to step away. It's time to discover myself away from football. … Honesty is a bitch but makes life so simple and clear. My secret is gone, I am a free man. I can move on and live my life as my creator intended."

His invocation of creator is an integral part of who he is.

"I'm a soccer player, I'm Christian, and I'm gay," Rogers says. "Those are things that people might say wouldn't go well together. But my family raised me to be an individual and to stand up for what I believe in.

"So the same principles that raised me to be an honest person are the same things that made me want to come out. I know I was created this way for a reason. … Being Catholic — and people may disagree — but we are called to love everyone. Be honest. Be true in your relationship with God. I've always lived that way."

by Anonymousreply 7405/24/2013

Great news! Although I had to reread the story to see why this hasn't been announced anywhere else yet and why there are zero terms of the deal.

[Reason is that the trade haven't been officially announced by anyone - not the league, the teams involved, or Rogers yet & this story is based on an insider leaking news of an agreement.]

The Galaxy has a match this Sunday (May 26th). I wonder if Rogers will be playing. ESPN2 has the broadcast so if he's ready to take the pitch (which I'm assuming he would be since he's been working out with them for several weeks now) they will certainly take the opportunity of the national broadcast to make his debut.

Setting aside the discussion of how Robbie subverted the business end of the sport by refusing to play unless he could do it for a team he wanted to (he's certainly not the first pro athlete to do that), this is a big deal. And it's the kind of PR boost the Galaxy benefits from now that Beckham has retired.

by Anonymousreply 7505/24/2013

LA Galaxy fans are angry that they traded a great player like Mike Magee for Robbie Rogers.This is going to be an embarrassment to MLS as a whole because he's such an average player who failed at Leeds after 1 season.Mike Magee is known to be a very skillful hardworking football player while Robbie is too busy hanging out wit his weho friends,seeking publicity in the media and working on his fashion line..he basically is very shallow and empty... Robbie is what Tim tebow is to soccer. Hype with no substance.

by Anonymousreply 7605/24/2013

R76 is a jealous queen.

by Anonymousreply 7705/24/2013

R77,How can I be jealous when everything I just post is 100% true? LA fans are quite upset about the trade.Check twitter and all the other MLS forums. They don't give a f8ck if he's gay ..fans only care if their team wins.

by Anonymousreply 7805/24/2013

r76,r78, Who the hell cares, it's soccer.

by Anonymousreply 7905/24/2013

When they make the official announcements, it will be interesting how the Galaxy justifies trading away a good player for a less talented (and injury prone) guy.

I'm sure they have some PR spin statements ready. But since it's impossible to argue that the trade was made to improve the talent on the field, everyone will know it was done for the attention. More good press - More ticket sales - More TV viewers.

Chicago comes out on the good end of the deal though.

by Anonymousreply 8005/24/2013

R78, oh they do give a fuck! If they didn't, we would have thousands out gay soccer players by now!

by Anonymousreply 8105/24/2013

R80,That is one of the reasons LA got David Beckham in the first place to get media coverage and why they're getting another well known player in Europe next.I guessed MLS is not a big deal in the US because THE Robbie rogers news got dump on a Friday night.

by Anonymousreply 8205/24/2013

ESPN just finally reported it on Sportcenter. However they have no information about the trade either and only report that USA Today is reporting it.

by Anonymousreply 8305/24/2013

Magee may be a clutch performer and a crowd favorite, but if he's of the caliber you purport, R76, there would have been some more objective indicators like international caps, interest from European clubs, and more impressive stats. His strike rate (approx. one goal per five games) is unimpressive for a forward. Stats don't tell the sole story, of course. Magee's youth coach, Bob Bradely, capped Rogers From the way you were talking about him, I thought the club had traded Donovan. Magee's had a few injuries himself.

[quote]it will be interesting how the Galaxy justifies trading away a good player for a less talented (and injury prone) guy

How are you assessing talent?

by Anonymousreply 8405/24/2013

As much as I disagree with with the Magee/Robbie rogers trade I still dont understand why Jason Collins got so much coverage..he was on the cover of Sports illustrated which was posted on a Monday Morning and he's basically a free agent,a professional bench-warmer,34 years old AND played on the worst NBA team ever.. while international soccer player Robbie had 3 MLS teams eager to sign him up and was chosen by the Yankees of MLS ..5 times championship LA Galaxy and the announcement went straight to a Friday???

by Anonymousreply 8505/24/2013

You forgot, "...and he's white!", R85.

NBA > MLS in the United States. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 8605/24/2013

Uh, NBA basketball is huge, the second or third biggest sport in the nation (behind NFL, perhaps college football). MLS is fifth most popular. Most people can't even name an MLS team or current player.

by Anonymousreply 8705/24/2013

I bet he doesn't get a personal phone call from President Obama.

by Anonymousreply 8805/25/2013

I gotta admit, the President calling Jason Collins to congratulate you for coming out was such a "Mary!" moment.

In the end, I'm please they're both out. More positive role models for gay youth.

by Anonymousreply 8905/25/2013

and the homophobics comes out from the woodworks:

"Robbie Rogers fuckking f*ggg all the gays comming out now gives me goosebumps"

"Robbie Rogers doesnt have 2 worry about a "circus" following his announcement as a gay player n soccer, we dont CARE about soccer in the US!"

"Robbie Rogers can finally join the boy scouts"

by Anonymousreply 9005/25/2013

I think it'll get more press when it's an official announcement.

European Soccer fans are notoriously homophobic and racist and violent so if he ever plays out of country then maybe he'll need some security. There's less passion for the sport here in the US so he should be ok with the fans, maybe.

I think the NBA has more of a code of conduct than soccer so I think he may actually be braver trying this out.

by Anonymousreply 9105/25/2013

I assume that those expressing surprise at how little attention anyone is paying to this don't live in the US?

by Anonymousreply 9205/25/2013

Reader reaction on Dirty Tackle. I like Brooks Peck's blog, but since it's on Yahoo it attracts a sizable number of mouth breathers. Though it's not as bad as the NFL or NBA blogs because it attracts far fewer readers. A sampling of some of the "most popular" comments:

[quote]What a ridiculous piece of propaganda! WHO CARES? I didn't see articles about heterosexual players. I didn't see articles about the first left footed striker either...which is much more relevant to the sport than the sexual appetite of the player.

[quote]Tim Tebow was told to keep religion out of sports. But gays get awards for coming out.

[quote]Yes, I'm Homophobic, Incestiphobic, Polygamaphobic, Beastealityaphobic, Pedophilophobic,; is their any other sick practice I'm missing?

[quote]GAYS RICH OR SOMETHING/???? Why the hell does the media keep shoving this chit down my throat, i dont give a chit about gay anything history, or people. They are starting to get African american status in the the United states.

[quote]Next? Openly gay school teachers. Spreading their filth to our children. America is way to tolerant of these Heathens. Boy Scouts, Pro sports. We are being overrun by Immoral deviants. God help us all.

by Anonymousreply 9305/25/2013

Not sure if he's going to play in the game tomorrow. At least in the Yahoo story it says that he's not likely to debut immediately. The story says that Coach Arena feels that Rogers is in decent shape and should be a strong team contributor by July.

by Anonymousreply 9405/25/2013

To state the obvious, a gay man playing football, hockey, basketball, and baseball is newsworthy because it breaks huge stereotypes about gay men. Gay men are widely perceived as less manly, less masculine, and less athletic than heterosexual men. When an athlete comes out in football, hockey, and basketball, it creates waves because it shatters an old, widespread stereotype about gay men. In the United States, soccer players are not considered to be particularly manly or masculine. In fact, Americans often insult soccer players as less than manly or athletic. Americans love football, hockey, and basketball because they feature very masculine, macho, muscular men engaging in overtly combative sports. Society exalts that. In contrast, soccer players seem rather shockingly small and meek. A gay soccer player is not the game changer a gay or bisexual football/hockey/basketball player is.

by Anonymousreply 9505/25/2013

[quote]soccer players seem rather shockingly small and meek

You haven't been watching the CL final, have you?

by Anonymousreply 9605/25/2013

r95, another thing is that for a many American men, and particularly for American men over the age of, say, 35/40, soccer is seen as a kids game, a gateway game to the bigger stuff -- suburban boys start with soccer, then graduate to the adult games: baseball, basketball and, especially, football.

by Anonymousreply 9705/25/2013

Robbie posted this pic with his announcement.

by Anonymousreply 9805/25/2013

He's going to be playing for the L.A. Galaxy.

by Anonymousreply 9905/26/2013

Seriously r99? That news is what the last 25 posts in this thread have already been discussing.

Thanks for the "scoop"...and the HuffPo link!

by Anonymousreply 10005/26/2013

R93, looks like usual rethug trolls with multiple accounts attacks, sometimes they even try to do this on huffpo gay page.

by Anonymousreply 10105/26/2013

r96, have you seen the NFL Conbine lately? You know what I mean if you have. Compared to football players, soccer players are tiny. We are talking relatively here, and soccer players are noticeably smaller than hockey, basketball, and football players. With the emphasis on muscularity and height in baseball these days, most soccer players are even smaller than baseball players. There are scores of football players that look like this.

by Anonymousreply 10205/26/2013

Yes. Being an American who watches American sports,I know what American athletes look like. However, "shockingly small and meek" is hardly an accurate description even by contrast. Yes, some are 5'7" but you will find as many who are 6'2" plus. And your "meek" description is rather amusing. John Terry would make a meal of you.

by Anonymousreply 10305/26/2013

perhaps, r103. But because you are an AMerican, you certainly know that the average American does not think of soccer players as particularly fearsome, tough, or manly.

by Anonymousreply 10405/26/2013

The average American doesn't think of soccer players at all.

by Anonymousreply 10505/26/2013

ESPN got a short interview with Robbie since the announcement.

Still nothing official as to whether he'll play in the Seattle match tonight, but I'd certainly be surprised if LA didn't continue to ride the wave of publicity (relatively speaking) and give him at least a few minutes on the field.

by Anonymousreply 10605/26/2013

Herbalife? Really?

I'm thrilled and supportive of him but...

Herbalife?

by Anonymousreply 10705/26/2013

Herbalife has been the Galaxy's shirt sponsor for years.

The Galaxy received his international transfer certificate, so he's eligible to play. I'm not sure what kind of training Rogers did with the Galaxy as he was technically a Fire player. They might not have spent much time on plays and tactics with someone who was an opposing player, so while he's probably close to match fitness as a sub at least, he may not be up to speed otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 10805/26/2013

Robbie Rogers just got subbed in to the match.

It's the 76 minute and LA has a 4 to 0 lead over Seattle.

The MLS "Don't Cross the Line" banner plays periodically across the electronic billboard that surrounds the field. The message says "Unity, Respect, Equality, Acceptance, Fair Play." That promotion has been in place before, but it seems to have significance to the many new or curious viewers tonight.

by Anonymousreply 10905/27/2013

Robbie played those last 14 minutes of the match. Afterwards he got a short interview with the ESPN commentators.

Before the end, the one announcer said something reasonable. He's going to withhold has assessment on the wisdom of the trade that brought Rogers to LA until Robbie has played several matches. He says fans should give Robbie a chance to get back in to playing shape considering that he hasn't had a competitive match since December.

by Anonymousreply 11005/27/2013

the crowd gave him a standing ovation :)

by Anonymousreply 11105/27/2013

First openly gay man to play one of the top five sports leagues in the country.

by Anonymousreply 11205/27/2013

Less than 48 hours after being unveiled as the newest addition to the LA Galaxy, Robbie Rogers became the first the first active openly gay male athlete to compete in an American professional team sport. And with the support of the fans, his teammates and even his opponents, Rogers couldn't help but smile as he returned to the game he loves.

Before the Galaxy kicked off against Seattle on Sunday night, Rogers was asked what he hoped to contribute (aside from history) so soon after signing. "I'm hoping that I can come on and it's 4-0 and I can just enjoy myself," he said with a laugh.

As it turned out, that was exactly what happened. The Galaxy jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first half with a hat trick from Robbie Keane (who scored twice from the penalty spot). Rogers eventually came on in the 77th minute and he had a great big grin on his face as he did so. The 24,811 people in attendance gave Rogers a standing ovation.

The final whistle blew 13 minutes later, bringing an end to Rogers' debut. It wasn't very eventful 13 minutes from a footballing standpoint, but it was monumental from a cultural perspective. Robbie Rogers broke a barrier and there was a roar of support to urge him on. Hopefully that continues for him and anyone else who follows his lead.

by Anonymousreply 11305/27/2013

I love that canvas print in the youtube cap @ r2.

by Anonymousreply 11405/27/2013

the gay from outsports gave a very bitchy article on Robbie Rogers...it's like he's not satisfied that a player played in a major league and he doesn't consider soccer to be important...he expects too much.

by Anonymousreply 11505/27/2013

Cyd Ziegler is a rabid right-wing Rethuglican, so I automatically discount anything he says.

by Anonymousreply 11605/27/2013

Fucking lacrosse? So significant. Cyd doesn't know much about soccer.

by Anonymousreply 11705/27/2013

If you think the coverage of Jason Collins was huge, wait until the first NFL player comes out.

by Anonymousreply 11805/27/2013

Yeah, if a football player came out, the nation would halt. It would be the biggest news story for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 11905/28/2013

This isn't about his looks.

by Anonymousreply 12005/28/2013

Will Nike give him a contract?

by Anonymousreply 12105/28/2013

He needs an endorsement

by Anonymousreply 12205/29/2013

Indeed, I thought Nike promised to shower the first out pro athlete with endorsements and dollars...?

by Anonymousreply 12305/29/2013

Did Nike really make a commitment to endorse the first guy on a US team sport to come out publicly? Does anybody know the details of that pledge?

The only thing I can find about it is that Bloomberg reported that Rick Wells (former Suns exec) said that execs at Nike had told him they would sponsor and promote the first out gay guy on a major team sport. That hearsay report is not the same as the company making a statement. I'm not saying they haven't - I'm just saying that when I searched to see if they promised something, I can't find it.

Nevertheless, those Rick Wells quotes became a story in mid April. By late April Nike had locked Brittney Griner up with a nice endorsement deal. That's a no-doubter because of course she's going to be the WNBAs biggest name for probably the next decade. But it's also not precedent setting to sponsor a lesbian pro basketball player.

But about Robbie - I don't think Nike can be seen as specifically welching on anything if they don't make a deal with Rogers.

[Unless of course they did actually make a statement that I can't find. If that's the case, then strike everything I say.]

But I bet Nike, as well as other companies, ARE pursuing Rogers. He's a capable (but not outstanding) player and absolutely photogenic, although a little dry and lifeless in interviews - at least the few that I've seen.

But his sport is soccer and he's chosen to make a career of it in the U.S., so the potential profile is considerably lower compared to what Americans consider the major leagues. Bounce his press coverage up against that of Jason Collins (who doesn't have a job, by the way) to see the comparison. Rogers made a moderate impact in the news when he came out, but must less of a ripple by the time he actually played his first game last weekend. The only place the news was loudly proclaimed was in the soccer world.

Also from a business perspective, before I signed Robbie up for a contract, I'd have to have a serious conversation with him to assess his mental state and commitment to his job. It was only 4 short months ago when he quit the game to become a fashion designer (or whatever) saying that he couldn't imagine continuing to do his job and be comfortable with his life as a gay man. Then the fairly rapid turnaround to everything being hunky dory and wanting to play again. Now of course a part of that seems to have been an (unspoken) refusal to play for the team he was traded to. But still, that is enough that would make me pause in my consideration of locking him up for a big contract. It's at least something the guys in the boardroom would have to think about.

But I'm certain that's not significant enough to make a company actually stay away from dealing with him. Rather it is likely based most on what his actual market value is in the world of advertising.

Could he become another David Beckham? That's a nearly impossible sell for anybody. Robbie's got the looks, but there are lots of good looking guys that play soccer. Beckham first became a worldwide name because of his skill on the field. Then the marketing success sprung from that.

It seems like Robbie might already have a relationship with Nike. He has a few pics of Nike products on his Twitter & Instagram where he thanks Nike - like athletes do when sponsors supply them with new gear.

Of course he also promotes Halsey44 on his social media.

Does Adidas sponsor the Galaxy?

by Anonymousreply 12405/30/2013

Robbie on the CBS Morning News today.

Gayle King asks him if he's encouraging others to come out - but appears pleased that he doesn't finger her, or anyone in particular.

by Anonymousreply 12506/03/2013

Random, but I really enjoy CBS This Morning.

by Anonymousreply 12606/03/2013

Me too, r126.

Robbie Rogers is VERY cute and I found him really charming; he had very good answers while being very photogenic.

by Anonymousreply 12706/03/2013

lol, VERY true r120

by Anonymousreply 12806/03/2013

Robbie is the most handsome gay guy ever!

by Anonymousreply 12906/03/2013

Backstage Galaxy is the local show that follows the news of the team in a documentary-type format.

Attached is the feature they did last week about Robbie's trade announcement and his first week with the team.

Actually I think the piece was longer when I watched it on TV, but this is all I can find now.

by Anonymousreply 13006/07/2013

How much playing time is he getting?

by Anonymousreply 13106/11/2013

I think he played the last 20 minutes (or so) of the Salt Lake City game Sunday. If I remember right he was brought in around the 71st minute or so.

So he's had time on the field late in the matches for all 3 games since he joined the team - and roughly about the same amount of time.

by Anonymousreply 13206/11/2013

Robbie got his first start with the Galaxy last night in the game versus Portland. He stayed in until the 69th minute.

In the post-match interviews several of his teammates as well as Coach Arena said that Rogers started off slow, but was looking good after about the first 15 minutes. Arena also said that Robbie's match fitness is progressing - something they knew would have to be built back up since he's been out of the game for so many months.

That was the Galaxy's first game in 10 days, the first in the re-branded Stubhub! Center, and Rogers' 4th with the team. The final score was a 0-0 draw.

Also, The Backlot (AfterElton) grabbed a short interview with Robbie when he visited the LA Gay & Lesbian Center last week.

by Anonymousreply 13306/20/2013

WATCH: Robbie Rogers Reveals Who He’s Dating

Since soccer star Robbie Rogers publicly came out last Spring, he must have men throwing themselves at him. So who’s the lucky man who’s snagged him? During Rogers’ recent visit to the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center, the L.A. Galaxy forward reveals to MTV Act that after ending a relationship with a man who lives in London, he’s now dating…no one. Sorry, the line for applicants forms in the rear, fellas.

Watch Rogers discuss his dating life below.

by Anonymousreply 13406/21/2013

Thanks R134!

Well my fellow Californians...

If there was ever a chance for any of us...

by Anonymousreply 13506/21/2013

The Galaxy have been in a real slump since Robbie joined the team, not that he has anything to do with that. They won that first game he played, but haven't won since...until tonight. And it took a match-up with the team that has the worst record in the conference - Chivas.

The 1-0 win doesn't reflect how dominant LA looked over Chivas. The time of possession (do they call it that in soccer?) imbalance was obvious. I haven't seen the stats yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Galaxy had the ball at least twice as much as Chivas, and they were always threatening around the Chivas goal. The Galaxy goaltender could have taken a nap during long stretches of the match as Chivas barely got the ball on that side of the field, let alone making a lot of shots on goal.

As for Robbie, he started the game again like he did in their last match, and he played until he was subbed out in the 74th minute. Early on I thought I saw him grab at his back and wince, but it was either my imagination, or it wasn't anything that bothered him enough that he couldn't play.

Robbie had a couple of nice plays - he was making some good passes. But the biggest was his first goal of his Galaxy career...sort of...but not officially. In the 33rd minute Landon Donovan passed across the field to Robbie and Rogers kicked it straight in for a score. But the goal was disallowed because the other Robbie (Keane) was blocking the Chivas goalie on the play and was called for off sides which negated the goal.

Next match is Friday against the team with the second worst record in the conference - San Jose Earthquakes.

by Anonymousreply 13606/24/2013

Robbie was a starter again in the game against San Jose yesterday and he played into the 64th minute. Immediately after he was pulled out of the game, the guy that subbed in for him scored a goal – with literally less than a minute on the field.

As Robbie left the game, the TimeWarner Sportsnet (or whatever that channel is called) broadcasters noted that overall he’s been improving each week. But Rogers did have some flubs during the game that they commented on. Actually I thought this was his worst looking performance since joining the team, but that's probably just because he was finally handling the ball quite a bit.

Sometimes it looked like his footwork was tripping him up – at least once falling down from his own (non contact) slip up. Also there were 2 instances where Rogers was passed the ball and had very open shots on goal that he missed wide of the net. Each of those times the play-by-play guy said that those are goals that have to be made. So they aren’t wearing kid gloves with him and they’ll call out what they think he’s doing well and be critical of areas where they feel he needs improvement.

On another note, ESPN Magazine has a feature where various athletes have written letters to themselves as young people. In addition to the encouragement about how he’s really not alone as a young gay and he shouldn’t feel bad about himself, Robbie’s message also includes a suggestion to take a different perspective on the anti-gay talk (and what’s behind it) he hears in the high school locker room.

by Anonymousreply 13707/01/2013

Robbie was on Outside The Lines earlier this week. He was part of a panel discussion about gay guys (women aren't brought up at all) coming out in major US sports.

Rogers didn't get much talk time, and it's a shame that one of the only 2 questions he was asked was on his opinion about gay guys showering with hetero teammates because the piece said that seems to be the main sticking point with some straight players. Seriously?

That was his second question. The first asked him to sum up the general reaction he's had since coming out.

The increasingly irrelevant (I think) dude Cyd from Outsports is also on the panel. Brendon Ayandabejo is also there and he always has an intelligent perspective on the topic.

I can't find a video of the episode, but the podcast is attached. Robbie comes on at about 11:30 and is finished by 14:00.

by Anonymousreply 13807/03/2013

Has Cyd ever been relevant?

by Anonymousreply 13907/04/2013

For the fourth game in a row Robbie was a starter in the Independence Day match-up against his former team, the Columbus Crew. The Crew is the team that traded him away early this year. That trade to Chicago (where he apparently really didn’t want to play) set things in motion which ultimately resulted in the majority of us learning who Rogers is.

Overall it was an unimpressive game full of errors, missed opportunities, and sloppy passing from both teams. Robbie didn’t have any highlight plays worth noting. He could have though. There was one time the Galaxy were threatening and Robbie was wide open heading for the net, but the dude with the bleached blond mohawk (Zardes) either didn’t see him, didn’t trust that Robbie could handle the shot, or got greedy and wanted to take the shot (which he missed) himself. Rogers’ play this week didn’t appear to be any better or worse than anybody else on the field.

These are the kind of games where I understand why soccer isn’t wildly popular with the masses in the U.S. I wonder if the absence of Landon Donovan is at least partly responsible for the lack of dynamism on the field. Landon will be out for the Galaxy’s next 5 (I think) games as he plays with the US national team.

Robbie was subbed out in the 77th minute, immediately after his old team made the first score of the game. The LA home crowd finally had a little bit of a spark when the other Robbie (Keane) tied up the match on a penalty kick in the 86th minute. That excitement was maintained for the last few minutes of the game as the Galaxy offense finally seemed to come alive. It looked like sloppy passing was still going to keep them from breaking the tied score, but in the 92nd minute Robbie Keane scored on another penalty kick – nearly identical to his previous one. And that’s how the Galaxy won with a score of 2-1.

In the post-match interview Robbie was asked about how he’s been feeling on the field generally. He said that he’s feeling good and more comfortable with each game, but that his fitness is still an area for improvement. He acknowledged that for the games he’s been a starter in, he’s slowing down and tiring by around the 70th minute. His self assessment sounds about right because it pretty much corresponds with the time in the matches that he’s been subbed out.

by Anonymousreply 14007/05/2013

New match tonight against FC Dallas

Fifth game in a row where Robbie was a starter. Is he fit enough though to play the entire match? Considering they just played 3 days ago and he couldn’t finish it then, I wouldn’t count on it.

Haven’t seen crowd attendance numbers, but this looks like the most empty seats in Stubhub since I started following these matches.

Is FC Dallas not a big draw? Is it because Landon Donovan is off? Is it because it’s a holiday weekend (sort of)?

Is it because gays who are newer to the sport and came out to support Rogers have realized how tedious soccer can be and aren’t coming anymore?

A questionable foul called on Robbie when he got tangled with a Dallas player in the 22nd minute. I might be wrong, but that could be the first he’s had since joining the Galaxy. That gave Dallas a free kick which sailed well over the net.

Robbie’s gone down a few times this week, all of which seemed to be from contact with another guy as opposed to the other games where he seemed to trip himself up once or twice per match. This has been a really physical match!

In the 36th minute Robbie nearly headed a ball that was passed to him into the net, but one of the Dallas guys jumped to block it at just the right time.

In the 46th minute Robbie had another shot on goal blocked.

It was a very active first half, but no scoring for either team.

Another shot on goal from Robbie to open the second half in the 49th minute with the goalie just a bit out of position, but a Dallas defender stepped in to save the score.

It’s definitely noticeable that Robbie isn’t getting possession of the ball much at all in the second, not nearly as much as the first half. The Galaxy is definitely still controlling the ball more than Dallas, but Robbie seems to be less of a factor this half.

First score in the 65th minute when the other Robbie (Keane) passed from left side (Rogers’ usual corner) to Marcello Sarvas for the first score.

FINALLY in the 80th minute, Robbie’s first & most direct assist for a goal. Keane passed forward to Rogers in the left corner. Robbie passed across to Hector Jimenez who sent it directly into the net. That put them up 2-0.

The substitution sign when up and I assumed that Rogers was about to hit the showers, but instead they pulled out Jimenez who just scored.

Robbie stayed in and eventually got his FIRST COMPLETE GAME since joining the Galaxy.

During the match the commentators pointed out that Mike McGee (who the Galaxy traded away to get Rogers) has scored in every game since Chicago got him, and he’s tied for the league lead in scores. Do they bring that up just to get the people that think it was a bad idea to trade McGee for Rogers worked up about it again?

In the post-match assessments, the Sportsnet dudes said Rogers definitely looks more comfortable and definitely looks fit, but he’s been just a little unlucky so far. Coach Arena said it was definitely Robbie’s best match of the year. Robbie didn’t get interviewed this week.

Next match is Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 14107/08/2013

Galaxy played the Timbers in Portland on Saturday night, but I just watched the match today. They should have gotten some additional exposure this week since the match was on NBC Sports Net as opposed to just the local Time Warner sports channel.

The Portland fans are really something else. "Timbers Army," is that what they are called?

The stands were packed and the crowd was loud and pumped up. Throughout most of the game they were singing or chanting while waving big flags. Majority of the flags were the Portland insignia, but there were also a couple very noticeable large gay pride flags being waved in the middle of them.

Were they waving pride flags at Timbers games before Robbie Rogers came out? Portland is the kind of town where that wouldn’t surprise me, but I thought it was more about Robbie being in the league.

But after Googling a little I see that the Timber Army has been flying a gay pride flag for a while – well before Rogers became the first out gay player in the MLS. See attached.

The NBC crew talked about how Robbie visited Portland in April for the Nike Be True LGBT Youth Forum where he met with a group of young gay athletes and answered some of their questions. Among those questions - how they can make a difference in the world as young gay athletes. He said the kids’ questions made him feel like he was being a coward, and worked into his motivation to get back in the sport.

In the 37th minute Rogers hit the ground hard face first when he got tripped up from behind. Looked like he staggered or limped a little walking away from that. But maybe he just got the wind knocked out of him for a couple of seconds because he stayed in and seemed fine. Might have just been a little acting job like so many soccer players do every time an opposing player makes contact with them…although it looked like he really did hit the turn pretty hard.

Unlike the last game, Robbie didn’t play for full match - he subbed out in the 70th minute with the game tied at 1-1. The tie was ultimately broken during stoppage time when Portland scored the game winning goal. And then they showed some lumberjack dude slicing up a log with a chainsaw right there in the stadium. Must be a Timbers thing.

“Robbie is close to the point where match fitness shouldn’t be an excuse anymore. Once he’s fit, the Galaxy will know if he’s the player that they hoped he’d be.“ That’s a paraphrase of something Kyle Martino said during the match when talking about Robbie’s overall performance since joining the LA team.

Because it was on the other network, they didn’t have the postgame show with the usual player interviews. So no commentary on how Robbie was feeling.

by Anonymousreply 14207/16/2013

Robbie was the focus of the Sunday "Outside The Lines" this weekend. Attached is the first part - the interview.

by Anonymousreply 14307/16/2013

2nd part of the "Outside the Lines" story...

by Anonymousreply 14407/16/2013

I thought it was interesting that the woman doing the ESPN report said that since Robbie came out, there haven't been ANY other closeted gay athletes that have contacted him or sought him out for any advice.

and that refers to PRO athletes. He's gotten lots of feedback from young people - high school athletes and the like - contacting him to thank him for being an inspiration.

I think that's different from Jason Collins who I believe said that other closeted athletes have confided in him about their situations.

Interesting difference...if it's accurate.

by Anonymousreply 14507/16/2013

Well, in the US, basketball players are much more popular and lionized than soccer players, which may explain why Jason Collins received so much more fanfare.

by Anonymousreply 14607/16/2013

If that was for me, r146, I wasn't talking about fanfare or public attention. What you say is very accurate in that regard though.

My point is that other closeted pro athletes (not just NBA players) have privately contacted Jason Collins to talk about their own personal ordeals and gain some wisdom or advice from his experience.

But Robbie reported that he hasn't experienced that same thing among his peers. No other soccer players, or players from other pro sports have come out to him or tried to talk to him about how he handled it.

Nothing to do with how the NBA is vastly more popular than MLS in the US. All gay athletes know both of these guys' names since they came out. So I just find it curious why other active players in the closet are comfortable contacting Jaston to talk about it, but not to Robbie.

by Anonymousreply 14707/16/2013

Robbie did not play Saturday night in the game against the Vancouver Whitecaps. He's out with a hamstring injury. How did he strain his hammy?

The team hasn't released anything specific about how long he is expected to be out of action.

The other Robbie (Keane) was also out with an injury, and Landon Donovan is still off to play with the U.S. national team. But even with several other players getting the start in place of those guys, the Galaxy toughed out a 2-1 win.

by Anonymousreply 14807/22/2013

tl;dr. How is he doing on the field? I heard he was horrible early on.

by Anonymousreply 14907/22/2013

He's doing fine, r149. Whoever said he was horrible was mistaken.

If you really care, you can read the thread starting at r132. There are posts breaking down his performance from each game so far.

by Anonymousreply 15007/22/2013

Here is a new interview from the TimeWarner Sportsnet program – Robbie reflecting on his first 2 months back in MLS as an out gay player.

Starts off with him looking back at that moment he debuted with the Galaxy. He discusses the emotional journey he’s been on since then and talks about living in WeHo.

He does say that he’s had well known people (celebrity or politician) surprise him by contacting him since coming out, but he doesn’t want to name them. Without saying it directly, it sounds like he means that people have confided in him about being closeted.

That’s a little different from what the ESPN journo said in that Outside The Lines piece at r143/r144. Or maybe the ESPN thing was him saying that no closeted athletes (specifically) have reached out to him. His current comment seems to be about people in other professions confiding in him. Or maybe it's more like hitting on him...haha.

He doesn’t discuss the recent hamstring injury specifically, but he says that he’s back to yoga, running, and weight training now and that he’ll be back to full on training shortly.

Next Galaxy game is Saturday (an ESPN2 broadcast), but sounds like Robbie will still be sidelined.

by Anonymousreply 15107/25/2013

can someone make a thread about Robbie and Jason hanging out the other day? lol at the height difference. They'd make a nice couple...

by Anonymousreply 15207/25/2013

Robbie was out of the match today still nursing his injured hamstring.

With the Galaxy down several of their best (and best known, which is the category Robbie falls in - for now) players, they lost to Colorado today 2-0.

Next match on Aug 1st. No word yet on whether Rogers will be back in action.

by Anonymousreply 15307/27/2013

He is on the DL list?

by Anonymousreply 15408/02/2013

While coming back from rehabbing his strained hamstring, Robbie did play the second half in the match against Real Madrid yesterday.

Assuming that Robbie would still be inactive, I didn't watch or record it. According to the attached article, he wasn't involved in any significant plays.

Looks like the next match is tomorrow night in Dodger Stadium while the Dodgers are off playing the Cubs. Fox Soccer Channel is carrying it - I though Fox Soccer Channel was becoming either Fox Sports 1 or the new FXX on August 1st, but I'm confused about those channel changeovers.

by Anonymousreply 15508/02/2013

Robbie played nearly the entire game during the match against Juventeus on Saturday night. It was his first start since coming back from the hamstring injury and he played until the 81st minute when multiple substitutions were made.

He played like he was feeling good. At times he looked pretty aggressive on the field. No goals or assists in the match, but this performance should be a sign that the injury isn't hampering him.

Next match will be finals day for the Guinness International Champions Cup on Wednesday. Galaxy is playing Milan for 3rd place.

The next MLS match is this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 15608/05/2013

On the last day of Guinness Cup action the Galaxy lost their 3rd place match to AC Milan by a score of 2-0.

Rogers started the match, but only played the first half. He was part of a slew of changes that Bruce Arena made at the start of the second with several of big name starters coming out of game.

Nothing really notable (for the good or the bad) that I saw in Robbie's day. No major gaffs and no great plays.

by Anonymousreply 15708/07/2013

Galaxy played FC Dallas tonight and Robbie Rogers wasn't in the starting line up. I sat through the whole match waiting to see if he was subbed into the game, or if the broadcasters mentioned why he wasn't on the field. He never came in and I didn't hear them say anything about him all night.

The hamstring could have been re-aggravated when he played that first half in the last game. But he's still listed as 'Active' on the Galaxy website and wasn't on the DL list prior to the match tonight - but his name also wasn't on the roster before the match tonight. So I don't know what's up - but I'm assuming it's the hamstring injury again.

For some news about him though - his salary was released this week. Rogers is making a base of $90K for his partial season with the Galaxy.

And about the match tonight - it was the Landon Donovan show. He scored a hat trick, but his were the only goals for LA and the match ended in a 3-3 draw.

by Anonymousreply 15808/12/2013

Being left off the roster for the Dallas game wasn't based on the hamstring injury. Looks like it was a decision by Coach Arena to put the most affective players on the field that day for the match-up.

That's all Arena says about it, but Assistant Coach Sarachan says what most members of any athletic team know - being told not to dress for the game is done to send a message.

Apparently Rogers hasn't been performing up to their expectations and this is a wake-up call to hopefully get him focused and working hard.

Next match is Saturday night against the league leading Salt Lake team. We'll see if Rogers gets in the game.

by Anonymousreply 15908/15/2013

Darren Young, the WWE wrestler has come out as gay.

by Anonymousreply 16008/15/2013

We might never know exactly what percentage of the decision to sign Robbie Rogers was based on the anticipated positive publicity spike for the Galaxy. But now that the season is coming down to the final batch of games, the Galaxy show that they have something in mind besides good press.

With the very real possibility facing them that they could be defending league champions and could miss the playoffs this season, theGalaxy continue to put the team on the field that they feel gives them the best chance to win games.

And that means for the second game in a row, Robbie Rogers was not part of the team tonight. And once again he's not even on the bench as a possible substitute - they didn't have him dress for the game at all

The team performed well tonight in a must win game. They beat the current No. 1 team RSL by 4-2. It moves them up in the standings (slightly) so that fans can feel more confident that making the playoffs are a real possibility - but still no sure thing.

So does this positive result mean they will stick with this lineup for the next few games? And when will we see Rogers on the pitch again? Those questions remain to be answered.

Hopefully Robbie is working his ass off to earn back his spot as a starter. Now we'll see what kind of motivation the guy has in him.

by Anonymousreply 16108/18/2013

My experience reading all this sports stuff must be like what a straight man would feel reading a Golden Girls thread.

by Anonymousreply 16208/18/2013

Last night the Galaxy faced off in CONCACAF Champions League play against Cartagines. There was some good news and some bad news for Robbie Rogers.

Robbie earned back his starting role (the good) but left the game in the 44th minute with a hamstring injury (the bad).

I’m assuming he re-aggravated the same one that’s been bothering him the past several weeks. But the match was on Fox Soccer Plus which is a channel that my cable provider doesn’t carry, so I didn’t see the game at all.

Either way, it’s probably safe to expect him to be out for at least another two weeks.

But the weeks off the field will give him more time to pursue his non-soccer interests (something that I see commented on when I read live blogging about Galaxy matches).

He and Kerry Washington have been announced as co-chairs of the GLSEN Respect awards set for October 18th.

by Anonymousreply 16308/21/2013

"But the weeks off the field will give him more time to pursue his non-soccer interests (something that I see commented on when I read live blogging about Galaxy matches)."

Is this a reference to cock-sucking and ass-fucking, or does he actually have other non-soccer interests?

by Anonymousreply 16408/22/2013

No r164, it's got nothing to do with his sexual activities - not any more than any of the currently closeted cocksuckers that play in MLS, or the current pussy eaters for that matter.

It refers to the fashion line (or lines) that he supports and advertises and models for as well as being a bit of a designer himself. Also the additional press and interviews that he's been giving all summer. Also the multiple charities that he's become involved in and pimps for - as he does on the Chelsea Lately interview.

Some fans (not all) question how driven he is to do well on the field when they see so many other things occupying his time. If he were performing well, nobody would say anything. But he's been pretty much a non-factor on the field since joining the Galaxy.

One of the comments I saw during the last game (I was following the live blogging during the match) was that if you read his twitter feed, all of his other pursuits are mentioned and promoted but he rarely if ever says anything about his soccer matches.

Robbie was the guest on Chelsea Lately last night. Right now the attached is the best link of the interview that I can find - but it skips and it's crappy quality because somebody is filming their TV screen. I'm sure there will be a clean one of the entire interview soon.

by Anonymousreply 16508/23/2013

Robbie is still out - hasn't been put on a match roster since that Aug 20th game where he re-injured the hamstring. I think that was compounded by something flu-like that had him knocked out for at least a week.

At this point even when he is available to play again, he may have to compete for his position. Zardes (bleached mohawk) has been covering that spot for the most part, and he's not done any worse that Rogers did. Not done much better though either.

by Anonymousreply 16609/15/2013

How is he doing now?

by Anonymousreply 16709/15/2013

Same as he was early this morning when the post above yours went up, r167. He hasn't been given the OK to play yet.

by Anonymousreply 16809/15/2013

Weird, because the sport's biggest star, Cristiano Ronaldo, is probably gay or bi.

by Anonymousreply 16909/22/2013

R169, he even has a surrogate child! But pathetic self-hating queens still defend his "heterosexuality"

by Anonymousreply 17009/22/2013

"I’ve had quite a few anonymous phone calls from players who want to come out but I don’t know who they are or where they play. I hope that someone else will come out just like Robbie Rogers did. That was great for U.S. soccer. At last we’re having a discussion about it and that’s huge. It has been pretty quiet and I understand that. People might not want to come out publicly and I understand. For me, the whole experience has been really positive. I’ve not had any trouble at all. If somebody says something, then I don’t care. I don’t have time for any of that. I don’t waste my energy on that…”

When I first came out I thought I would be in the newspapers in Sweden for a couple of days and that’s it — I didn’t think people would really care to be honest. And then suddenly it went crazy, and within two days the whole world knew, but it feels pretty good. I know that I’ve done something good with my life. I was just a kid who happened to be gay — I never thought it would be such a big deal.”

– Openly gay Swedish soccer stud and Dancing with the Stars champion Anton Hysén discusses the difficulties of coming out in professional sports with CNN.

Full story here:

by Anonymousreply 17109/27/2013

Looks like the hamstring and the stomach virus problems are resolved. Robbie has finally been able to return to a full training schedule.

In the attached he talks a little about his frustration with his health situation as well as his awareness that his performance this summer hasn't been up the expectations of the Galaxy.

He wants to be available to play again in time for the Montreal match on Oct. 16th. It will be interesting to see if Coach Arena actually gets put back on the game day roster. His impact on the field so far probably hasn't guaranteed him his starting position so he will likely have to work to earn it back.

We'll see how it plays out. The Galaxy still aren't guaranteed to make the playoffs, so these final regular season matches will matter a lot and they players that make it on the pitch will be heavily scrutinized.

by Anonymousreply 17210/02/2013

hope he recovers fully

by Anonymousreply 17310/05/2013

[quote][R169], he even has a surrogate child!

AND he wears hot pants and paints his nails. Hiding in plain sight?

by Anonymousreply 17410/05/2013

Not a good sign for Rogers.

Today in the match against Chivas, Zardes had 2 assists and an unassisted goal. Zardes has taken Robbie Rogers position on the field during the weeks that Rogers was benched and while he's been on the DL.

Rogers wants to return for their next match on Oct. 16th, but after his great performance today obviously Zardes will be starting in that position for the foreseeable future. Rogers will likely have to settle for being subbed in late in a match - if he even gets that.

The Galaxy gave themselves a little bit of breathing room with the win today, but they still aren't guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, so they will have to continue to field their best players for the remaining games.

That's why I think Rogers is likely to be riding the bench from here on out.

by Anonymousreply 17510/07/2013

In addition to Robbie announcing this week that he is writing his autobiography (already? seriously?) to be published in 2014, there also was some news about his comeback.

Robbie played almost a full (85 minutes) match in MLS Reserve League on Monday. He said he was exhausted, but the fact that he could stay in the match for that long is a good indicator that he should be ready to play for the Montreal match coming on the 16th.

So he'll likely be ready and available to play for that next real match. It will be interesting if Arena feels he's able to play the position better than the guy that's been replacing him.

My guess is that he might not start the match, but might be subbed in later. But who knows?

by Anonymousreply 17610/13/2013

Robbie didn't achieve his goal of making the roster last night. Even though several of the regular starters were out of the game, Rogers didn't even get to ride the bench.

There are only 2 more MLS matches (but 3 games total) left in the regular season. The Galaxy are excited that they are only 2 points out of the top position in their division, but they are also only 3 points out of elimination from the playoffs. So these final games matter a lot as they still haven't guaranteed themselves post-season play.

Zardes has been performing well, and has made more impact in the position than Robbie ever managed. So unless Zardes gets injured, I can't imagine the scenario where Rogers makes it back on the field this season.

I hope he includes that in his memoirs that he's busy writing.

by Anonymousreply 17710/17/2013

Robbie Rogers is on the bench tonight - even THAT is progress for him. So he's available to serve as a substitution later in the game if the Galaxy wants to give him some actually match play.

If they manager the run the score up on San Jose, Rogers might get a shot. But since they are in a scoreless tie right now just minutes before half time, I'm not not counting on Rogers being used tonight.

by Anonymousreply 17810/20/2013

Rogers did get to play tonight. He subbed in for Mike Stephens in the 68th minute and finished the game. It was the opposite side of the field as he'd been playing when he was a starter several months ago. That's his first appearance since mid-July.

He did have a couple of nice looking passes - directly to guys wearing San Jose jerseys. Not much else to report about his minutes on the field. In the 85th minute he was on his knees for while and slow to get up. But he stayed in so whatever his injury was couldn't have bothered him too much.

The match ended in a 0-0 tie, and with that LA guaranteed themselves a post-season spot. They have one regular season match left though and their seeding will be determined after that game.

by Anonymousreply 17910/20/2013

Tonight was the last regular season of Concacaf Champions League play and the Galaxy were up against Isidro Metapan - with their winless record in Champions League this year. I wonder what the attendance for the match is because every single TV camera angle shows literally nobody watching in the stands.

Robbie Rogers subbed in at the beginning of the second half, and he got to play the full 45 minutes. He had one decent looking shot on goal that bounced off the goalpost.

Galaxy lost 4 to 0. Galaxy will still make the quarterfinals, but this loss drops them to a 6th seed.

The final regular season MLS match is this Sunday and it will be the ESPN game. The Galaxy needs a win to avoid being the 4 or 5 seed and risk having a one-game playoff determine their advancement in the tournament.

by Anonymousreply 18010/25/2013

Rogers got his first start since mid July in the final regular season MLS match Sunday night. The Seattle crowd packed the stadium and since it was also the ESPN game, there was plenty of exposure…which the cynic might think is the whole reason that the Galaxy signed Robbie in the first place.

The fact that Mike Magee, the guy they traded away to get Robbie, is a very strong candidate for MVP of the entire league only bolsters their claim. The only reason Magee might not get the MVP title is that his Chicago team didn’t make the playoffs.

Robbie looked pretty strong throughout. He was playing aggressively and his passing looked sharper than in the previous couple of matches where here subbed in late in those games. He even took one solid shot on goal, but as with all of the attempts he made when he was playing earlier this summer, he missed sinking it the net by a fair amount.

Rogers was subbed out in the 78th minute – and it was just coincidence that the Galaxy scored their first (and only) goal of the match less than 60 seconds after Rogers left the field.

Finishing the match with a 1-1 tie was good enough to secure LA the #3 seed in the Western Conference Championship tournament . That means they aren’t facing the single-game elimination match that the #4 and #5 seeds will play for later this week.

by Anonymousreply 18110/29/2013

Looks like Rogers gets to keep his role as a starter, but he's just permanently been swapped to the other flank now that Zardes has been performing fairly well in his old slot.

Robbie got the start again tonight in the first game of the Galaxy's playoff series against Salt Lake. He looked about as good as the last match - fairly aggressive but with passes that miss the mark far more often than they hit it.

He didn't get to stay on the field as long this time though. He was subbed out in the 61st minute. The team was up 1-0 at that point and that ended up being the final score.

Next match is Thursday on ESPN2.

by Anonymousreply 18211/03/2013

So basically he sucks.

by Anonymousreply 18311/04/2013

He should stop trying to be a model/attention whore, and start being an athlete. He's already writing a book.

by Anonymousreply 18411/04/2013

So will Robbie be traded or just be fired altogether? I will be disappointed cuz I watch now just for him but he doesn't play well.

by Anonymousreply 18511/04/2013

[quote]He should stop trying to be a model/attention whore, and start being an athlete. He's already writing a book.

Unfortunately, I am seeing this trend among athletes who come out. It seems to leverage some sort of fame and money, especially for average skilled athletes. That Euro soccer/footballer, I can't recall his name, does the same thing. He was on Europe's version of Dancing with the Stars. I'm thinking Jason Collins was seeking the same thing. That bums me out somewhat. You need to come out and be good at what you do, and break down walls/stereotypes. Not constantly seek fame and opportunities to make money.

by Anonymousreply 18611/04/2013

Look at David Beckham. He was signed to the LA Galaxy Club because people were told that he was great, when in fact he was horrible. He was known more for his hair and alien wife than his actual skill on the field in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 18711/04/2013

What a bummer if Robbie is dropped. I agree he needs to spend more time training and getting better and less time being a socialite.

by Anonymousreply 18811/04/2013

A lot of young gay guys grow up with low self esteem so it's not surprising that Robbie has let the attention go to his head

by Anonymousreply 18911/04/2013

[quote]A lot of young gay guys grow up with low self esteem so it's not surprising that Robbie has let the attention go to his head

He was a big deal 'pre-coming out'. Do you still think he had low self-esteem? Being gay didn't hold him back in any way. I'm sure he was conflicted over his homosexuality, but if he had low self-esteem, he didn't show it. He was hot shit for years.

by Anonymousreply 19011/04/2013

Lick his hairy hole yummy!

by Anonymousreply 19111/04/2013

R190, regardless of how things might've appeared on the outside, a young person who grows up closeted is far from content.

by Anonymousreply 19211/04/2013

R192, I'm not so sure. I have heard of a few pro-gay athletes who are perfectly fine with being the closet and have no intention of ever coming out. That guy who coaches pro-gay athletes on how to come out. He's a PR guy or a psychologist. His name escapes me, but he's pretty well known. But he made the comment that he knows of a few who just fine. To me, they should be outed for that arrogance and homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 19311/04/2013

MLS ran a story about Rogers having to deal with comparisons with Mike Magee - the possible league MVP this year.

According to the article Magee wanted to be traded to Chicago to be close to home. And we know that Rogers retired when he was traded to the Fire refusing to play even a single game for Chicago. He would only return to MLS if he could be flipped again to LA - also to be close to home.

So both players got what they wanted in the deal, but the Galaxy end up looking like chumps for significantly decreasing their likely scoring ability by obtaining the mostly ineffective Rogers in exchange for the league's leading scorer.

Rogers says he can't be bothered with the comparisons to Magee, and that's the right answer. He can't do anything about it and should only focus on things he has control over.

Could he be a better player if he weren't so distracted with his modeling and clothing brand promotions and writing his biography (I still can't get over that one) and doing press interviews/photoshoots and accepting recognition from every GLBT organization that wants to praise him for being openly gay in his field (even though his performances kind of suck)?

We might never know.

by Anonymousreply 19411/04/2013

The pundit on tonight's game said the trade for Rogers was the worst trade ever and basically they spent all night saying how awful Rogers is.

On top of it all they lost tonight and got defeated in the championship for the first time in years.

I think Rogers is toast.

I hope he didn't actually hurt the cause for pro gay athletes by being such a disappointing player.

by Anonymousreply 19511/07/2013

Rogers posed shirtless again for Out though.

by Anonymousreply 19611/08/2013

To add to the information that r195 provided...

Robbie Rogers got to start again in this crucial (and ultimately season ending) match. Although he and Zardes started in the positions they have been playing the past few matches, ultimately it seemed they ended up switching flanks through the match and spending more time playing the sides that they used to at the beginning of summer. Both of those guys were pretty ineffective tonight - as was the entire team. This time Robbie was subbed out in the 75th minute.

Since the matched ended in regulation with Salt Lake up 1-0 (which meant they were tied when the scores from Leg 1 were combined with the scores tonight), they added 2 additional 15-minute periods. And Rogers obviously rode the bench for all of that.

Ultimately Salt Lake eliminated the Galaxy from the playoffs by scoring again in overtime.

It was kind of fascinating to hear Taylor Twellman and Alexi Lalas talk during half time about the Rogers/Magee trade. Like r195 said, Lalas remains adamant that this was one of the worst/most lopsided trades in the history of MLS.

And it should be noted that he wasn't saying it to slam Robbie. Rather his take is that Galaxy management has to be able to take accountability and explain why they traded away a valuable player and didn't get a similarly strongly offensive player in return.

It's especially evident on a playoff night like this because Magee was Mr. November for the Galaxy.

Lalas said that he specifically asked Bruce Arena whether he would make that same trade again, knowing what he knows now. And Arena told him that he MIGHT still have made the swap, but there were "other considerations" involved that nobody knows about. Lalas pushed him on what those considerations were and Arena said they are private. He tried to get the 4-1-1 from others involved in team management, but couldn't get an answer from anyone.

So with nobody willing to explain any ways in which the trade was beneficial to the Galaxy on the field, Lalas is comfortable with his assessment that the management of the team needs to be accountable for making a trade that significantly impacted the talent level on the team.

As for the last comment from r195 - about Rogers' mostly unimpressive performance having bigger impact relating to other gay players coming out...

The thing is, if Robbie had just played the season for Chicago, even if he played at the level that he has for LA, he would have been fine. His performance this year was no better or worse than many of the midfielders across the league. I doubt there would have been any kind of critical or negative press directed at him based on his on-field play.

The reason he gets such a critical look at the season end is because a team gave up such a popular player (and one that just happened to be the league leading scorer and probably MVP) in order to get Robbie on their team. How can that not shine a spotlight on the great disparity between the year that both of those guys had?

At some level Rogers was done a disservice by the Galaxy making such a seemingly uneven trade for him. It does make people think the Galaxy anticipated a similar performance out of him as they had been getting from a striker like Magee, even though that was probably an unfair expectation.

So my feeling is that most other gay athletes are smart enough to understand that for the most part Rogers has gotten positive press this entire year, even when he wasn't lighting up the stat sheets during matches. And the only reason that his name gets spoken in a critical sense now is because of an unfair comparison made to Magee - a comparison that Rogers can't do anything about.

Since the fan reaction hasn't been too horrible (for the most part) and the press has only been critical because of that trade, I think the gay athletes there were considering coming out will still be considering it. The Rogers Effect will likely only affect those that really weren't comfortable with coming out in the first place and just needed an excuse to stay closeted.

by Anonymousreply 19711/08/2013

R196 sexy back for a fottball player!

by Anonymousreply 19811/08/2013

That was a great assessment 197! 195 here. I gotta admit I never watched soccer before Rogers joined galaxy. It was thrilling to watch a gay man play. I'm heartbroken for the negative press he has gotten. I particularly cringed when Arena said he still might have possibly made the trade, instead of saying absolutely he would have, which was admitting it was a possible mistake. That has to be a huge blow for Robbie.

I would love to know how really his teammates feel. And not a pr bullshit response either. Maybe they all secretly wish Robbie never joined but don't want to say anything out of fear of being labeled homophobic, but it really just being his performances.

I get the feeling they all like Robbie as a person, but they gotta be disappointed.

Do u think he will be let go?

by Anonymousreply 19911/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 20011/08/2013

I'm with you r199/195.

Although I'm a fan (and player) of several sports, soccer has never been able to hold my interest. So like you, I've only started paying attention to Galaxy matches because I've been interested to follow Rogers' progress.

Coach Arena's answer to that question about making the trade in hindsight was awkward for sure, although it sounds like he might have honestly been expressing his thoughts. But a coach really should have his players' backs and show full support for his guys by saying that he has no regrets about the trade (even as shoddy as it turned out to be). It would be nice if he made a public statement of support for Robbie to counter the bad impression that he's given. But at least it would be good if he lets Rogers know that he still feels he's a valuable part of the team...even if he isn't...exactly.

As for the teammates, it's unfortunate that we can't know how they feel.

Just knowing human nature though, I'm sure that there are at least some guys that might hold it against Robbie that his joining the team was the catalyst for Mike Magee's departure. Those feelings might be heightened now that the defending champs have been unceremoniously dumped out of the playoffs early. But overall I had gotten the feeling that in general the team was happy having Robbie join them - that was early in the season though, before they saw him play.

Landon Donovan does seem to have a strong influence over the rest of the guys, as team captains often do, and he's always been cool with Robbie and only ever had positive and encouraging things to say.

I don't see the Galaxy cutting Rogers. But I can see them not always having him be a starter. The team seems far too interested in publicity and good public image to get rid of the openly gay player that they turned tricks to get on their team.

But also, he was injured for a good portion of this season, so they could still be hopeful that when he has his 'match toughness' back that he'll be the better player that he used to be. I've heard or seen the team make statements similar to that.

Hopefully he'll have a stronger season next year. Also hopefully he has thick enough skin that he can handle the skeptics that voice their opinion that the Galaxy would have been better off if that trade never happened.

by Anonymousreply 20111/08/2013

Are MLS players stars in their towns. Do they get mobbed on the streets?

by Anonymousreply 20211/08/2013

Robbie talked to NY Times for a short piece reflecting on the highs and lows of his 2013. More acknowledgement of his generally weak year in his sport as well as promoting the non-soccer related ventures that have been occupying his time.

However he does say that he still feels he can get back to being a strong player on the field. He is giving no indications that he has intentions of quitting again.

He does mention that he's been dating, but doesn't name the guy. But TMZ, Bleacher Report, and other outlets on the level of those two are reporting that it is TV producer/writer Greg Berlanti. It certainly would explain why those two went dressed as the cops from "CHiPs" for Halloween. I wonder if Robbie will be showing up with a cameo role on the gay-filled Arrow show.

Someone started a separate thread for the topic of those two dating.

by Anonymousreply 20311/16/2013

Ha ha Greg probably had to explain CHiPs to him

by Anonymousreply 20411/16/2013

His bf is HOT!

by Anonymousreply 20511/16/2013

Is Robbie's tight hole ready for Greg's big fat cock?

by Anonymousreply 20611/17/2013

;

by Anonymousreply 20712/10/2013

Robbie has no bulge whatsoever. He also has tiny dick face.

by Anonymousreply 20912/12/2013

Mama wants to count the hairs on his asshole w/ her tongue.

by Anonymousreply 21012/12/2013

When was the last time Robbie played on the LA Galaxy team? I can't find any information about him playing since he had an injury last summer.

by Anonymousreply 21105/08/2014

Yeah

by Anonymousreply 21205/08/2014

update?

by Anonymousreply 21305/21/2014

He just played in his first game of the season this past weekend. He played for 25 minutes. Root for him. If you can email, facebook or tweet him your support.

by Anonymousreply 21405/21/2014

He might play tonight at 10:30 PM EST on MLS Live and Sunday at 8 PM EST on Univision.

by Anonymousreply 21505/21/2014

Is he in Brasil?

by Anonymousreply 21606/13/2014

Robbie is playing right now! Watch NBCSports channel. LA Galaxy vs. Portland Timbers

by Anonymousreply 21707/05/2014

"Robbie Rogers has found a new home replacing the injured Dunivant, and has supplied fine defense and great overlapping service."

by Anonymousreply 21807/18/2014

and i just came..inside him. what a coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 21907/18/2014

Robbie played really well today. He provided the assist to tie the game 1-1 against the Portland Timbers. Later he got the ball on a turnover which led to LA going up 2-1. LA eventually won 3-1. LA plays again on Friday August 8th at 10:30 EST which will be broadcast on NBS Sports Network.

by Anonymousreply 22008/02/2014

Robbie had an ok game last night. LA Galaxy tied the San Jose Earthquakes 2-2. LA had all the possession but let two break away goals. San Jose had a really good defense which didn't allow LA close to the goal often.

by Anonymousreply 22108/09/2014

Update on robbie rogers? How is doing in his team? Is the La galaxy planning to kicked him out??

by Anonymousreply 22209/01/2014

Tonight's game will be on NBC Sports Network at 10:30 Eastern/ 8:30 Pacific. Robbie played in the last two games.

by Anonymousreply 22309/05/2014

Cool

by Anonymousreply 22409/06/2014

Robbie didn't play yesterday. Dunivant who Robbie replaced for a month started the game. He was injured about 30 minutes in. He played poorly throughout. When Robbie played LA was organized in moving forward. I don't like that Robbie was taken off the starting lineup after the Columbus loss.

by Anonymousreply 22509/06/2014

R225, I don't think the team needs him that much..robbie was left out of a game due to injury but La Galaxy still got 6-0 over Colorado without him. He is useless at this point.

by Anonymousreply 22609/06/2014

how is he doing on the field now?

by Anonymousreply 22709/23/2014

Robbie might play on Sunday at 8:30 PM EST/ 5:30 PM PST on ESPN2.

by Anonymousreply 22810/17/2014

LA Galaxy's next game is on Saturday at 3 PM EST on ESPN.

by Anonymousreply 22910/23/2014

d

by Anonymousreply 23011/01/2014

Robbie had a great game tonight. He played the first 73 minutes. He set up the ball that led to the 4th and 5th goals for LA. LA plays on November 23rd.

by Anonymousreply 23111/09/2014

Associated Press

Robbie Rogers has agreed to a multiyear contract extension with the LA Galaxy.

The Galaxy didn't announce the terms of their deal Thursday with Rogers, the first openly gay player in MLS.

Rogers has excelled since moving to full-time defense this season, starting 15 games and contributing two assists as a left back.

Galaxy coach Bruce Arena says the 27-year-old Rogers "has proven to be a dynamic player in our league and an integral part of our success."

Rogers joined the Galaxy in May 2013, ending the former Columbus Crew star's brief retirement after coming out.

After a frustrating start with his new team, Rogers has become a valuable contributor to the Galaxy's run at a fifth MLS title.

The Galaxy host Seattle next weekend in the Western Conference finals.

by Anonymousreply 23211/13/2014

By the skin of their teeth LA Galaxy advance to the MLS finals. They actually lost last night.

by Anonymousreply 23312/01/2014

He really thinks he was first?

by Anonymousreply 23412/01/2014

Cool dude

by Anonymousreply 23512/01/2014

Robbie Rogers inspires cute West Virginia goalie to come out.

by Anonymousreply 23612/16/2014

Robbie wasn't selected to play for the 2015 U.S. National Team, but Coach Klinsmann says that he was definitely under consideration.

That's a big turnaround from the beginning of the 2014 season when Robbie didn't even seem to have a place on the Galaxy. When he finally was healthy enough to be playing regularly, he was relegated to the Galaxy II for several games. Based on his lackluster performance from 2013, I had a strong feeling that he's be stuck with that "JV" squad for most of the year.

But he got the chance to reinvent himself for the Galaxy when he moved to fill a need as a defender. He stayed relatively injury free for the rest of the summer and fall and excelled in the position.

With Todd Dunivant coming back this year, it will be interesting to what Bruce wants to do with both of them on the field. I wonder if Robbie will stay in the defender spot or if he'll get a chance to be a midfielder again. If they have Gyasi fill the Landon Donovan void, that means Rogers could possibly compete to earn his old offensive position back. It would definitely be the more fun to report on Robbie's play each game if he's a striker!

by Anonymousreply 23701/15/2015

The 2015 season for the Galaxy kicked off tonight with a 2-0 win over the Chicago Fire.

The match was carried on Unimas and somehow my DVR screwed up and recorded at the wrong time - I got an Ice Cube movie instead of the match.

So I can't comment on how Robbie looked playing. But he was in for the entire match at the same defender position he solidified as his last season.

He has been healthy and given how well he played late last season, I'd expect another good year for him.

by Anonymousreply 23803/07/2015

It was a fun match today when the Galaxy went to Portland to play the Timbers in some sketchy weather.

A good match with a great ending. Each time scored in the last 2 minutes to end the match tied 2-2.

Now that Rogers plays a defensive position, it's more challenging to comment on his performance. He's doing well, but he won't make the highlight reels much playing this position.

He did demonstrate some good aggression though attacking downfield a few times and trying to set up some solid passes.

Robbie played nearly the entire match. He was swapped out at the 87th minute likely just to give Todd Dunivant some time on the field as he's working his way back to form from a 2014 lost to injury. Bruce did say in the post match interview that Robbie was a little tired at the end.

Next match is March 21st.

by Anonymousreply 23903/16/2015

Tonight was the first match this season where Robbie Rogers started on the bench. Todd Dunnivant was given the start at his old slot - which Robbie had taken over last season while Todd was injured.

The intent was probably to give Todd the start, but sub Robbie in for him. Dunnivant has got to gradually work back to match fitness the same way Rogers did his first season with the Galaxy.

But Robbie got in the match in the first half when Mika Vayryren got hurt and Robbie replaced him as a midfielder at the 40th minute. But they moved him to left side midfielder. That was the position he had during his first season with the Galaxy… on the days he wasn’t hurt and was able to play.

The match itself was decent - if you are a Vancouver fan. There are literally no highlights for the Galaxy at all. The Galaxy looked listless and outclassed nearly all night and lost by a score of 2-0. And that’s with all the key starters like Keane and Zardes back from duties with their national teams.

Will be interesting to see where Rogers plays next match.

by Anonymousreply 24004/05/2015

The minute they come out, is the minute their "talent" disappears. It seems as though they get too comfortable once they come out of the closet.

by Anonymousreply 24104/05/2015

Robbie was at the White House two months ago.

LA Galaxy has a game tonight at 10:30 PM EST on TWCS or TWCD.

by Anonymousreply 24204/18/2015

Interview

by Anonymousreply 24305/07/2015

Former San Jose Earthquakes soccer player Matt Hatzke has come out as a gay man

by Anonymousreply 24406/24/2015

In what he later called “a special moment,” openly gay Major League Soccer player Robbie Rogers scored his first goal since coming out on his team’s LGBT Pride Night.

by Anonymousreply 24506/25/2015

Robbie's had chances to score several times before. I'm glad he's finally did it. Maybe this will open the floodgates and he'll score more easily from now on. Did anyone watch the game last night?

by Anonymousreply 24606/25/2015

Here's video of his goal.

by Anonymousreply 24706/25/2015

Another angle of Robbie's goal. Starts at 1:32.

by Anonymousreply 24806/25/2015

I was there last night (I have season tickets).

The Gay Men's Chorus sang the National Anthem. One of the fan groups (there are three) held up a huge rainbow banner that said something positive on it (I forget just what). They had rainbow team scarves for sale.

It was a massacre 5-0.

It was great to see Robbie finally score a goal (and it was a pretty one). I saw his first game live too.

by Anonymousreply 24906/25/2015

Does he talk about who his current boyfriend is? He mentions that he has one in the attached interview about his reaction to the Supreme Court ruling. But there are no pics on his Twitter or Instagram that give away who the guys is.

by Anonymousreply 25006/30/2015

He's back with Greg Berlanti

by Anonymousreply 25106/30/2015

Where was this where he finally made a goal? The location that is.

by Anonymousreply 25206/30/2015

R252, in Carson, Ca.

by Anonymousreply 25306/30/2015
Need more help? Click Here.