Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is the appeal of the Kardashian sisters?

Ten years ago, you could not get away from Paris Hilton anywhere you looked. American popular culture was obsessed with her, but as appalling as she was, it made a weird kind of sense: she was blonde, she was superskinny, she had a famous last name that made her seem glamorous, and she was wealthy. She also had a weird kind of style that was hideous but that young (trashy) women admired and copied (and still copy today). She had a long run at the center of the popular imagination for three years, but then everyone grew sick to death of her.

The Kardashians have had the same popularity but for much, much longer--"Keeping Up with the Ks" premiered nearly five years ago, and they're STILL everywhere. But unlike Paris Hilton they are not blonde nor skinny, nor did they have an instantly recognizable last name before the series started. They're wealthy, and that's it. Kim is sort of pretty, but the other sisters are unattractive. Young women do not seem to copy their style (they don't really have a style). I am baffled by their continuing appeal.

by Anonymousreply 1302/15/2013

The Kardashians are big in Arab and Persian countries who find them beautiful, rich and living the good life. Hence, the Dubai visit recently.

by Anonymousreply 102/15/2013

Like R1 said. They appeal to blacks girls, Latinas and Arabs.

by Anonymousreply 202/15/2013

How many Arab girls are there in America? And how big of the percentage of the tabloids and the celebrity magazines do they make? The Kardashian sisters are all over the tabloids and the celebrity magazine--they can't be only appealing to Arabs and Persians.

by Anonymousreply 302/15/2013

Tits and ass.

by Anonymousreply 402/15/2013

(r2) wrong, Black girls are not fans of the Kardashians

by Anonymousreply 502/15/2013

There is no appeal.

by Anonymousreply 602/15/2013

[quote]Tits and ass.

If it were being marketed to men or lesbians I would understand that. But it's being marketed to straight women.

[quote]There is no appeal.

Then why week after week are they on the cover of IN TOUCH, PEOPLE, US, etc...?

by Anonymousreply 702/15/2013

Arabs and Persians, e.i. Muslims, wouldn't necessarily like them since they are Armenian, e.i. Christian and historically persecuted for it, see Genocide 1915-23. That aside, I think fat average brunette girls can relate to them and imagine they are 'fierce' or whatever the current slang is for a spoiled, self-important, no talent bitch.

by Anonymousreply 802/15/2013

Hollywood believes it is exerting some sort of social control over that demographic

by Anonymousreply 902/15/2013

I saw some article not too long ago about the Kartrashian sisters doing some appearances in London shopping malls. There were tons of pics and crowds were quite big. EVERY single person in those crowds was some kind of minority. Not a single white Briton to be seen. Take that for what it's worth.

by Anonymousreply 1002/15/2013

In part their appeal is because they are common and vulgar. Think Honey BOO BOO. They all behave like whores. The number one reason is their shameless huckstering and self promotion led by the leader of their pack of twats, their mother the whore Chris Jenner.

by Anonymousreply 1102/15/2013

Come on eclampsia! We are sick to fucking death of you Kim.

by Anonymousreply 1202/15/2013

Off topic somewhat: I keep hearing Bruce and Kris are on are headed to Splitsville.

I hope not. How much of a market is there for a man who looks like he stuck his face in a pencil sharpener?

by Anonymousreply 1302/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.