Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lesbian nuns

I know that many men become priests in order to not deal with being gay. Is it the same for women who choose to become nuns? I kind of always assumed that nuns were either asexual beings or women who were so emotionally damaged by their relationships with their fathers and/or bfs that they sought out the only man who would never hurt them, Jesus. Do you think that's an accurate description, or as there just as many closeted lesbians as there are closeted gay guys in the church?

I'm not Catholic, but I have seen panels of nuns and priests on TV. I have a pretty reliable gaydar. Many of the priests have classic gay face and ping to the heavens. The nuns, on the other hand, are not a bunch of Miss Jane Hathaways in training, but rather shy and demure, and don't ping in the least.

So what's the 411 on the nuns?

by Anonymousreply 3907/03/2013

Isn't the nun business in America just about dead?

I don't have any nuns in my family to ask.

by Anonymousreply 102/15/2013

I once knew a very butch nun.

by Anonymousreply 202/15/2013

Do nuns have sex?

Are they allowed to masturbate?

by Anonymousreply 302/15/2013

The Irish had large families and it was custom to "give one (child) to the church." I always felt that many of the nuns who tortured us were pressured to join the church by their families because they were the ugliest one or the one with the least personality. Some kind of physical or psychological deficit meant she was least likely to marry.

And if one of the girls wanted an education beyond high school, the family just handed her over to the church rather than waste their money on educating a female, who was supposed to get married at 19 and produce 11 children.

by Anonymousreply 402/15/2013

i have a lesbian friend who is a former nun, and her take is that while there are many lesbian nuns, she never heard of any instance where her fellow nuns actually acted out sexually on their desires. she is not saying that it never happened, just that she never heard of it happening, and at most it would be extremely rare.

she in fact fell in love with another nun. it took them a year or so to acknowledge it to each other, then another three years before they decided to leave religious life. during that whole time they never had sex, and never went beyond hugging or holding hands.

she says it's nothing at all like how so many gay priests live. "oh dear, my priest friends seem to find counseling the sick and giving the Mass are but mere interruptions to their schedule of sexual dalliances with the new seminarian or the second grade teacher's husband."

she still loves the catholic church, and does volunteering in a hospital run by nuns, several of whom she knew as a nun and who are close friends.

by Anonymousreply 502/15/2013

Jane Hathaway was a lesbian, you nitwit.

by Anonymousreply 602/15/2013

I believe that, R5.

PS: I heard Isabelle Huppert plays a predatory lesbian nun in her next film. Is it out yet in France?

by Anonymousreply 702/15/2013

You are right, R1. There are not many nuns left, but the ones who are still there are not there because of family pressure or a need for education. They are engaged in both social and spiritual work, and the ones I know are pretty wonderful. I would say that there are some lesbians, but they are not necessarily in a physical relationship. I know a number of present nuns as well as a few ex-nuns, and most of the ex-nuns are gay. Not all, though. Some of them may come across as butch just because they don't dress up or wear makeup, which is our expectation of heterosexual women.

by Anonymousreply 802/15/2013

[quote]I'm not Catholic, but I have seen panels of nuns and priests on TV. I have a pretty reliable gaydar. Many of the priests have classic gay face and ping to the heavens. The nuns, on the other hand, are not a bunch of Miss Jane Hathaways in training, but rather shy and demure, and don't ping in the least.

You sound ridiculously simple-minded. Are you generally regarded as stupid by people who know you personally?

by Anonymousreply 902/15/2013

As a child I was taught God gave certain people a "calling" a special message from God to become a priest or nun.

I never heard it ( if it existed)

by Anonymousreply 1002/15/2013

R4 - my first bf's older sister became a nun to please their religious (daily mass attending) father. She left about the time I got to know the family, had a terrific boyfriend, and shocked us all by ending the relationship herself when we thought perhaps he was too good for her (she could be a bit self-centered and cheap).

by Anonymousreply 1102/15/2013

Sometimes a girl just felt called to serve God.

by Anonymousreply 1202/15/2013

OP? This sentence shows how ignorant you are about women.

"I kind of always assumed that nuns were either asexual beings or women who were so emotionally damaged by their relationships with their fathers and/or bfs that they sought out the only man who would never hurt them, Jesus."

Christ Almighty, you sound like some kind of eldergay Freudian.

I should do some amateur psychoanalysis on your fat ass.

By the way, I suggest you read a book called "Lesbian Nuns: Breaking Silence." Then you won't have to bring your stupid questions here.

by Anonymousreply 1302/15/2013

mostly it was a kind of non-option option for women that didn't really have options.

by Anonymousreply 1402/15/2013

R13, have you always been such a huge bitch? The question is an interesting one, so what's wrong with asking it and sharing one's own ideas?

by Anonymousreply 1502/15/2013

R5,

That's a sweet story.

by Anonymousreply 1602/15/2013

It's not the question, dollface, it's the ridiculous assumptions you express in the original post. Asexuals? They don't exist. Also it's commonly recognized that same-sex environments both attract and enable people with a same sex attraction. Asking if lesbian nuns exist is about as intelligent as asking if prison rape ever occurs.

But appointing yourself an informed researcher when your only exposure to Catholic religious people is by watching them on TV is laughable in the extreme. Yes, I've always been a bitch, and stupid people trying to sound smart while blabbering uninformed nonsense will bring that out in me every time.

by Anonymousreply 1702/15/2013

Sure, some of them are lesbians.

My aunt joined the convent in 1966 at age 18. She already knew she was a lesbian at that time because she had a girlfriend in high school, though very much on the down low. She was evidently not nun material and kicked out of the convent for smoking and drinking after a few months, so she never became a nun.

My great aunt, still living at 90, is with her lifelong partner also around age 90. Her partner was a sister/nun (I'm not sure of the difference) and left the church to be with my aunt, who played piano at her church.

by Anonymousreply 1802/15/2013

Yes, there are even books about it.

by Anonymousreply 2002/15/2013

R18, there is no difference between sister and nun. Just like priests are addressed/styled as father and monks as brother, nuns are addressed and styled as sister. The highest ranking/chief executive nun of a convent or abbey might be addressed as mother, or "mother superior".

by Anonymousreply 2102/15/2013

Agnes of god

by Anonymousreply 2202/15/2013

R13, next time, before going on another great,mean spirited rant, please check yer troll-dar. The OP is not R15. I am. You seem to be an expert on nun psychology but the vast majority of DL visitors are probably not. Before starting a thread is someone required to be an expert in the subject? Not last time I checked.

by Anonymousreply 2302/15/2013

[quote]next time, before going on another great,mean spirited rant, please check yer troll-dar. The OP is not [R15]. I am.

So, so sorry to confuse the two of you. But you're still stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2402/15/2013

I have a cousin who is taking her final vows this summer at age 26. Not a lesbian, but had difficult childhood and always seemed socially limited. Did live with a guy for about a year while in college.

Went to Catholic schools with nuns. In grammar school, I came to the conclusions that nuns became nuns because they were either fat, flat-chested or outright ugly. Rare was a cute, personable nun - though there may have been one or two. Some were Tom Boys, loved playing sports on the playground - in their habits no less - and followed professional sports. It wasn't until high school that I noticed some - though not the majority - had a real manly, lesbian vibe. In high school also had a few that were very dippy.

by Anonymousreply 2502/15/2013

If I remember corectly, one of the L Word episodes started off with a short clip of lesbian nuns in a bus and one nun getting her seatmate off right there. I don't remember what the connection to the rest of the episode was.

by Anonymousreply 2602/15/2013

r18/21, while Sister/Nun is used interchangably by the public, there is a difference.

A Nun lives in a cloister with no public contact. Their committment is to prayer. A Religious Sister works with the public; often as a teacher, nurse, or social worker.

by Anonymousreply 2702/15/2013

My mom went to convent school for high school and I went to her reunion with her when I was a teen. Lots of her friends were nuns or former nuns. Yes, they did seem asexual or very butch but the thing that fascinated me most was the Infant of Prague statue in the chapel whose little fingers were literally covered in the engagement rings of women who left a fiance to join the convent and be nuns. There is nothing on google image search to confirm that this a common thing but damn if I didn't go look at that thing like 7 times.

by Anonymousreply 2802/15/2013

Do pay attention to R27, although in cases nuns in a cloistered setting with a contemplative mission do have contact with the public, both through production of crafts and other goods to sustain the order and to offer hostelry or retreat services. Nowadays there are insufficient numbers of nuns in most cloisters to sustain the old-style divide where only some of the nuns had outside contact. And of course there remain exceptions.

With that said, many sisters and nuns are lesbians, or bisexual with their environment tilting them towards their same-sex side.

So?

by Anonymousreply 2902/15/2013

[quote]Just like priests are addressed/styled as father and monks as brother,

No, some monks are addressed as "Father."

by Anonymousreply 3002/15/2013

In Franciscan orders "Fr" means Friar. A Friar can be a priest or brother.

by Anonymousreply 3102/15/2013

a women who marries herself to jesus, who will love her forever no matter what her faults are, and no consummation is required ever. sounds like every woman to me.

by Anonymousreply 3202/15/2013

R5, when, exactly, did they rent the Uhaul?

by Anonymousreply 3302/15/2013

I'm R13, ladies -- check your trolldar. Someone is trying to imitate me.

But you know, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

by Anonymousreply 3402/15/2013

[quote]my priest friends seem to find counseling the sick and giving the Mass are but mere interruptions to their schedule of sexual dalliances with the new seminarian or the second grade teacher's husband.

R5, that was hilarious guote!

by Anonymousreply 3502/15/2013

[quote]PS: I heard Isabelle Huppert plays a predatory lesbian nun in her next film. Is it out yet in France?

It's out next month ("La Religieuse")

by Anonymousreply 3602/16/2013

The Singing Nun was lesbian. Not Debbie Renolds, the real one. In fact, she killed herself over it.

by Anonymousreply 3702/16/2013

Had a former acquaintance whose mother was a nun in South America.She indicated in a FB post, that all of the nuns in one order were lesbian. She didn't name the order or provide any further details.

by Anonymousreply 3807/03/2013

My sister almost became a nun but while praying the novena ten times in a quiet church she accidently and embarrassingly passed gas so her call to serve God WAS FOILED BY A FUCKING FART!!!

by Anonymousreply 3907/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.