Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GREAT SCOTT!!! Video of Russian Meteor Crash!!

This shit is unreal.

by Anonymousreply 11302/17/2013

Actually it is quite real.

by Anonymousreply 102/15/2013

Holy shit!

by Anonymousreply 202/15/2013

I know, that's the freaky thing about it. It looks something from a movie, but it actually happened!

by Anonymousreply 302/15/2013

I'm jumpy on my best day - I would have had a coronary if I'd been there.

by Anonymousreply 402/15/2013

Saying crash is not really correct. It seems the explosion and damage is from the sonic boom and/or from the meteor exploding overhead.

They are now reporting over 900 injured.

by Anonymousreply 502/15/2013

No, I was just sending Kal-El's little sister to Earth from Krypton.

by Anonymousreply 602/15/2013

I just watched some video of it crashing, the people were so CALM.

by Anonymousreply 702/15/2013

I think this exploded near the spot the Romanovs were murdered in 1918. Anastasia is still pissed off!

by Anonymousreply 802/15/2013

[quote] the people were so CALM.

Probably because they were too drunk to even realize what happened.

by Anonymousreply 1002/15/2013

Is this one at all related to the other one due to pass by us today?

Like a smaller part of it that broke off early?

by Anonymousreply 1202/15/2013

If you live in Russian, a meteor could be your savior.

by Anonymousreply 1302/15/2013

Most scientists are saying it is unrelated

by Anonymousreply 1502/15/2013

I have a bad feeling about the big one coming towards us today. I think the Russian meteor shower was like the precursor. They haven't told us everything.

I can't understand how something as big as the one we're expecting around midnight tonight won't affect us.

Suppose it triggers the shakes or earthquakes or vibrations? Suppose the pull of our gravity vs. the velocity of the strength of the asteriod's orbit pull us apart? Or knocks out our satellites?

Or the asteroid breaks apart and hits in huge chunks in several different places like that one that hi in that movie when Morgan Freeman was President?

Or it knocks the earth out of its orbit? I mean, if we change even a little bit, the tilt and the orbit path, it will affect our climate our stability, everything.

Remember. This asteroid is so close it is closer than the satellites we have up there.

by Anonymousreply 1602/15/2013

R16 wasn't that a movie?

by Anonymousreply 1702/15/2013

Not this time, r9.

by Anonymousreply 1802/15/2013

Was it linked to the asteroid?

Australian website the Conversation has been asking experts whether the meteor strike is linked to asteroid 2012 DA14, which is expected to pass closely by the earth tonight.

Phil Bland, an asteroid expert at Curtin University, said:

Is it connected to the flyby? A lot of folks would say “no”. Personally, I’ve always kind of liked the idea that there are streams of asteroid debris – so you can have smaller stuff that precede and trail a bigger object. It seems like an awful big coincidence if it’s not connected.

by Anonymousreply 1902/15/2013

2:24 EST is the time DA14 is supposed to be nearest the earth.

by Anonymousreply 2002/15/2013

The only thing that makes me think they are not related is wouldn't stuff that broke off DA14 be trailing behind it, not speeding ahead of it?

by Anonymousreply 2102/15/2013

Amateur.

by Anonymousreply 2202/15/2013

r16, MARY!

by Anonymousreply 2302/15/2013

[quote]2:24 EST

PM today?

by Anonymousreply 2402/15/2013

Maybe I am "Mary!" but think about it.An object that large, moving at a high rate of speed and coming "this cose" to us?

Have you ever been in the center lane to make a left turn, and cars were whizzing by you going either way? They sometimes rattle your car. Have you ever felt the "brush" of a big semi truck on the highway as it passes?

Maybe this is going to damage us and since there isn't anything they can do about it, they have said nothing.

by Anonymousreply 2502/15/2013

Yeah, is that 2:24 in the afternoon or morning?

by Anonymousreply 2602/15/2013

It's an amazing coincidence if this crash and the fly by later today are unrelated.

The question is, who is next????

by Anonymousreply 2702/15/2013

I think it's a splinter from the larger asteroid. If it hit something while flying through space, wouldn't the smaller piece that comes off move faster?

by Anonymousreply 2802/15/2013

JFC, learn some basic physics before spouting off all that crap, R16. DA14 doesn't have even close to the mass needed to affect the earth's orbit. It's like your stability being affected by a mosquito flying past your head.

by Anonymousreply 2902/15/2013

Did it actually hit the ground or dissentigrate before impact? I wonder if there is a crater somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 3002/15/2013

Who's the guy who dropped a feather off a tower along with a heavier object, to prove that things fall at the same rate? Was it Galileo or Copernicus?

by Anonymousreply 3102/15/2013

In the movies -- Meteor (1979) and Armageddon (1997) -- there are always splinters that precede the big one.

by Anonymousreply 3202/15/2013

What would buck Rogers do?

by Anonymousreply 3302/15/2013

R31 a feather and a rock don't fall at the same rate. Now a pound of feathers and a pound of rock would fall at the same rate...

by Anonymousreply 3402/15/2013

When's the last time a asteroid this size scrapped by, not crashed, near Earth?

by Anonymousreply 3502/15/2013

R28, if the larger asteroid had been hit by something while flying through space, the piece(s) that were dislodged would be in a different orbit.

by Anonymousreply 3602/15/2013

A supposed expert said the meteor and astroid have nothing to do with each other...which sounds like bullshit to me.

by Anonymousreply 3702/15/2013

R31 Galileo dropped two spheres of different weight off a tower to show that they fell at the same rate. He theorized feather would fall at the same rate as cannon ball as long as they were in a vacuum. This was confirmed some 500 years later by the Apollo astronauts who dropped a hammer and a bald eagle feather on the moon. They both fell at the same rate.

by Anonymousreply 3802/15/2013

Someone said there was about a 20 foot crater but I haven't seen it.

by Anonymousreply 3902/15/2013

R34 you need to go back to grade school. Find your science teacher and punch them in the face and tell them, "that's for not teaching me shit!"

by Anonymousreply 4002/15/2013

"[R34] you need to go back to grade school. Find your science teacher and punch them in the face and tell them, "that's for not teaching me shit!"

Once the air resistance is minimized, objects fall at essentially the same rate; in a perfect vacuum, they fall at IDENTICAL rates. Yes I get that. However if you take a feather throw it off a building and take a rock and toss it at the same time, the feather will take much longer to hit the ground because of air resistance. So continue to eat mouse turds for breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 4102/15/2013

So the damage was primarily due the shockwave from the object's explosion, not from falling space debris?

Correct?

So far no Russkie has come out and said "I got bonked on the head by a space rock!"

Da?

by Anonymousreply 4202/15/2013

[quote]Once the air resistance is minimized, objects fall at essentially the same rate

Once the air resistance is minimized, objects[bold] of equal mass [/bold]fall at essentially the same rate

by Anonymousreply 4302/15/2013

I am one scary bitch. I would have literally shat myself.

by Anonymousreply 4402/15/2013

about three hours from now, r26. afternoon

by Anonymousreply 4502/15/2013

The experts and meteorists on this thread are hilarious.

Any university the world over will welcome you with open arms into their physics department!

Take Morgan Freeman along with you !!

by Anonymousreply 4602/15/2013

r46 = life of the party

by Anonymousreply 4702/15/2013

[quote]I have a bad feeling about the big one coming towards us today.

Mary, are you CONCERNED?!!?

by Anonymousreply 4802/15/2013

Meteorite or alien invasion?

by Anonymousreply 4902/15/2013

I don't need to take some "basic physics classes" or read up on shit. There is such a thing as shock waves, and even a fucking fly buzzing past your ear sets off a tiny vibration. Sound waves are vibrations.

That damned asteroid is big enough to be noticed and affect us some how. If it weren't, if it were your proverbial mosquito, then why would they even bother to mention it.

Shit passes us by, even hits earth all the time. We don't get a lot of chatter about it. This time we are. Because it will be felt. It will be noticeable.

The buses have already taken all the lottery winners to the cave.

by Anonymousreply 5002/15/2013

BEWARE OF THE BLOB!

by Anonymousreply 5102/15/2013

[quote]I don't need to take some "basic physics classes" or read up on shit.

TRANSLATION: I am proud to let everyone know, I have no clue what I am talking about. Sarah Palin is my role model.

By the way: sound waves are not vibrations. Sound waves are an fluctuations in air pressure caused by, among other things, vibrations.

by Anonymousreply 5202/15/2013

Will it pass over the US?

Will it pass over South America?

Will it pass over Europe?

Will it pass over Africa?

Will it pass over China?

by Anonymousreply 5302/15/2013

Perhaps you'd like to do us all a favor and lock yourself away deep in a bunker, as you're so sure all those scientists know nothing and that the end is night, R50.

BTW, the asteroid in question is so small it's not even going to be visible from earth without the aid of powerful binoculars.

by Anonymousreply 5402/15/2013

The Mayans were off by a couple months!!

by Anonymousreply 5502/15/2013

This would be a great day to get meteored.

I for one am kind of bored with all this, really.

I just think - you don't have to pay taxes for 2012!

by Anonymousreply 5602/15/2013

I know![R56] I could use a little excitement

by Anonymousreply 5702/15/2013

Shit, maybe the mormon could have saved us all had he been elected POTUS.

The white horse thing.

Nah......

by Anonymousreply 5802/15/2013

Since celebrity deaths come in threes there has to be a third meteor, right?

The number three seems to be a magical number in a lot of incidents.

by Anonymousreply 5902/15/2013

It has just been reported that the meteor contained horse meat.

by Anonymousreply 6002/15/2013

W&W for R60!

R52, Sarah Pailin is ignorant. I am not ignorant. what I meant was I didn't need a physics class to know that when something speeds past you at very close quarters, it sends shock waves, or vibrations or whatever.

And what you just described, "sound waves are fluctuations in air pressure caused by vibrations"I mean, WTF. I said that. It's a fucking vibration. so STFU and go back to your soaps.

I'm going to watch Deep Impact tonight. I intend to be ready for Wolf-Beiderman. BTW: That movie started out pretty cool as I recall, and then it got cheese about 2/3 of the way thru.

We will know tomorrow, or possibly the day after, won't we.Some of us will be in the caves, some of us will not.

by Anonymousreply 6102/15/2013

23 minutes till the bigger one passes earth at the closest point!!

by Anonymousreply 6202/15/2013

Injury toll now 1200. Russia denies it shot at the meteor (although that would be a better explanation for the delayed bang). Crater found.

by Anonymousreply 6302/15/2013

Russian politician blames US.

by Anonymousreply 6402/15/2013

R61 fluctuations in air pressure are not the same as vibrations. Never has been, never will be.

by Anonymousreply 6502/15/2013

One Russian said the shock waves from the passing meteor, which people now say was about the size of a bus, nearly ran their car off the road.

by Anonymousreply 6602/15/2013

The meteor had 'runner face'.

by Anonymousreply 6702/15/2013

Can't play the video at work. What city did this happen in? Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 6802/15/2013

R68 They are saying it happened near Chelyabinsk

by Anonymousreply 6902/15/2013

the beginning of this video is crazy

by Anonymousreply 7002/15/2013

Elijah, DA14 has now passed by safely and it's on its way back into outer space, so you can calm the fuck down.

by Anonymousreply 7102/15/2013

thanks r69

by Anonymousreply 7202/15/2013

Elijah an object passing through the vacuum of space does not produce a shock wave or any sound for that matter. That is grade school science. I don't know what is more astounding: your ignorance or the fact that you seem proud to display it so openly.

by Anonymousreply 7402/15/2013

r74, what gave the object a push though? Some forces have to be in play in order to move things along.

by Anonymousreply 7502/15/2013

Ruh-roh. Reports of another meteor exploding over Cuba.

by Anonymousreply 7602/15/2013

link.

by Anonymousreply 7702/15/2013

R74 The same thing that gave the earth and moon and all the planets a push. Gravity. Its orbiting the sun.

by Anonymousreply 7802/15/2013

Where is the video?

by Anonymousreply 7902/15/2013

R79 If it happened in Cuba, the best we can hope for is someone drew a picture of it on the side of a paper bag.

by Anonymousreply 8002/15/2013

Has anyone blamed Klendathu yet? If not I humbly submit Klendathu as the culprit.

by Anonymousreply 8102/15/2013

Stop with the wanton hostility. I took Lit classes and I was in the Drama Club and Debate, and I too geology& biology,and I never took a physics class in my like. I even went to grad school. For film studies. I know as much science as Robert Duvall did in that movie, and probably as much as Tom Hanks, Kevin Bacon & Gary Sinise. I never like Bill Paxton.

by Anonymousreply 8202/15/2013

It was Mexicans lighting off fireworks that Castro has finally died.

by Anonymousreply 8302/15/2013

This is Obamas doing. He staged this so that are rights to windows would be taken away. LIBERALS!

by Anonymousreply 8402/15/2013

There is one thing you all must learn and remember: You can ONLY ACCOUNT for asteroids approaching Earth in directions that ARE NOT coming from the direction of the sun.

If the asteroid comes to us from the direction of the sun, our telescopes will not see it and there is no radar up there. So, we can get hit and not have time to plan. This asteroid came from that direction.

by Anonymousreply 8502/16/2013

In reading these posts, now I understand that the United States really is 34th in science. You guys haven't a clue about physics and cosmology, do you?

by Anonymousreply 8602/16/2013

I beg to differ with you, R86, I went to Cosmetology school and graduated with honors in curling, dye and tinting and I'll tell you right now we did not cover no meteorites at all.

by Anonymousreply 8702/16/2013

Let's be clear about some things:

This Russian meteor is not at all related to the asteroid that passed by close to earth today. They were coming from entirely different directions at entirely different speeds.

We've known about the asteroid fly-by for a long time. There was no hint or clue that anyone had about the Russian meteor.

Also, the delay between the meteor and the bang was because it was so far up and so far away. The explosion supposedly happened around 17 miles up, and quite a distance away from where many of the recordings were taken. Sound isn't all that fast.

This was an air-burst, which produced shockwaves that caused most of the damage. There are reports that fragments fell over a wide area, one of the larger remnants punching a hole in the ice of a lake.

Most of the people injured were injured by glass fragments from shattered windows.

by Anonymousreply 8802/16/2013

Source. Zeus shot a load toward earth. I have seen many white streaking loads before.

by Anonymousreply 8902/16/2013

what is amazing is the delay between seeing it and the sound. Make sure your speakers are not up high when you watch it.

by Anonymousreply 9002/16/2013

other one showing windows blowing

by Anonymousreply 9102/16/2013

and another. I am amazed at how calm they are. People would be going apeshit here in the states.

by Anonymousreply 9202/16/2013

Isn't there a US governmental agency tracking all the stuff coming towards earth? Some reports said they keep track of anything larger than a baseball, well? What happened?

by Anonymousreply 9302/16/2013

According to the information NASA has put up on their website, the meteor that exploded over Russia was entirely unrelated to the DA14 asteroid to which they'd been giving so much publicity. That the much more dramatic Russian meteor explosion happened so unexpectedly, and right around the same time NASA was so heavily hyping their detection and tracking of DA14, has to have resulted in quite a few red NASA faces.

by Anonymousreply 9402/16/2013

I like this CCTV footage showing the reactions of two people in an office just as the meteor exploded nearby.

by Anonymousreply 9502/16/2013

And because this is DL, I [italic]just know[/italic] there are a lot of you who'd love to see how a cubefrau reacted to the situation.

by Anonymousreply 9602/16/2013

1) The link at r70 had NOTHING to do with meteorites.

2) r88 has stated all we need to know about the situation.

by Anonymousreply 9702/16/2013

[quote]Isn't there a US governmental agency tracking all the stuff coming towards earth? Some reports said they keep track of anything larger than a baseball, well? What happened?

We track a lot of things. We cannot track everything.

Here's hoping this incident motivates politicians to improve funding in this area.

by Anonymousreply 9802/16/2013

Wow, those videos in R95 and R96 are pretty amazing... the force with which the windows are blown out, and the way it knocks people down, off their feet! Damn!

by Anonymousreply 9902/16/2013

I LOVE R10!!

by Anonymousreply 10002/16/2013

[quote]Once the air resistance is minimized, objects of equal mass fall at essentially the same rate

Sorry, R43, but you're wrong. Although it's counter-intuitive, all objects fall at the same rate, regardless of mass. Demonstrated famously by Galileo at the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and duplicated beautifully on the moon (see link).

by Anonymousreply 10102/16/2013

If the door in this video is in fact what it appears to be - a steel door of the type used to secure an industrial loading area - then there's no denying that it was one real bad-ass shock wave that resulted from the meteor's explosion.

by Anonymousreply 10202/16/2013

I could see it from my house.

by Anonymousreply 10302/16/2013

I don't know what I would do if a meteorite struck metropollitan Columbus. I'd probably be scared!

by Anonymousreply 10402/16/2013

What I find most interesting about this story is that Russians have dashboard cameras in their cars because of dangerous drivers and roads lol.

Anybody else experience sonic booms? I lived in Central Florida and got to experience a few when space shuttles returned to Cape Canaveral from space. They are very loud and violent. These vids are interesting because unlike one object traveling faster than sound, it sounds like there were multiple since the meteor broke up into pieces. It seems like there were a lot of smaller booms after the initial huge one. Or maybe it was just things exploding and crashing because of the first boom.

Im also glad this didnt happen in the US, people would be blaming the government and Obama for something that came from the great beyond.

by Anonymousreply 10502/16/2013

The Bay Area got scared when a shooting star streaked across last night's sky...

by Anonymousreply 10602/16/2013

[quote]It seems like there were a lot of smaller booms after the initial huge one. Or maybe it was just things exploding and crashing because of the first boom.

There were definitely multiple booms, but there were also boom-echoes bouncing around.

by Anonymousreply 10702/16/2013

this is an amazing video of a woman running away from it

by Anonymousreply 10802/16/2013

Ha, R108 - you got me with that one, dammit! GRRR! Still, it hasn't changed it that the Russian Meteor has become my favorite news story in quite some time.

But anyway, moving on to what I originally returned to post about: I have to say that I'm shocked no one has yet made mention of the fact that the cubefrau in the video I posted at R96 evidently had no trouble at all staying on her feet during the blast while at least two of her younger male co-workers wound up rolling across the floor like tumbleweeds at her feet. Is this simply an issue of ballast? Or does this indicate that cubefraus possess a set of carefully concealed, yet highly developed, instincts that make them the ones most likely to escape unscathed in these kinds of emergency situations? Or are Russian cubefraus (cube-babushkas?) just plain different from their North American counterparts? Hmm... I wonder.

by Anonymousreply 11002/16/2013

[bold]Why Didn’t We Know the Russian Meteor Was Coming?[/bold]

[italic]We’re getting better at spotting potentially dangerous objects, but this one was too small.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 11102/16/2013

Are we sure it wasn't a drone attack or a North Korean missile?

by Anonymousreply 11202/16/2013

"We really don't give a fuck" says astronomers about meteors the size of the one exploded over Russia. They only care about ones that would wipe out mankind. But if Texas or New York are leveled, well, that's just too bad!

[quote]about 4,700 asteroids at least 330 feet (100 m) wide come uncomfortably close to our planet at some point in their orbits. To date, astronomers have detected less than 30 percent of these objects, which could destroy an area the size of a state if they slammed into Earth.

by Anonymousreply 11302/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.