Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Male circumcision tied to less sexual pleasure

NEW YORK - Men circumcised either as children or adults report less intense sexual pleasure and orgasm than their uncircumcised counterparts, according to a new study from Belgium.

"We're not saying less sexual activity or satisfaction, but sensitivity," said the study's senior researcher Dr. Piet Hoebeke, from Ghent University Hospital.

The new study surveyed 1,369 men over the age of 18, who responded to leaflets handed out in train stations across Belgium.

The men were asked whether they were circumcised, and were then asked to rate how sensitive their penis was, how intense their orgasms were and whether they experience any pain or numbness when they are aroused.

Overall, 310 men who took the survey were circumcised, and 1,059 were not. Each rated how sensitive their penis was on a scale from 0 to 5, with higher numbers being the most sensitive.

Overall, uncircumcised men reported between 0.2 points and 0.4 points higher sensitivity and sexual pleasure when their penis's head - known as the glans - was stroked during arousal, compared to circumcised men.

For example, uncircumcised men reported an average sensitivity score of 3.72 when they or their partner stroked the top part of their penis's glans, compared to 3.31 amongst circumcised men.

Uncircumcised men also reported more intense orgasms.

"It's not a very big difference in sensitivity, but it's a significant difference," Hoebeke said.

Currently, about half of US baby boys have their foreskin surgically removed at birth, and about 30% of men around the world are circumcised.

Some religions, such as Judaism and Islam, consider circumcision part of religious practice, while other people choose circumcision for possible health benefits - including a reduced risk of urinary tract infections (see Reuters Health article of December 7, 2012 here:).

Hoebeke and his colleagues write in BJU International that there are few studies researching whether foreskin plays a role in sexual pleasure. But Dr. Aaron Tobian, who studies circumcision but was not part of the new study, said that previous randomized controlled trials - considered the gold standard of medical research - looked at sexual performance and satisfaction. Those studies, he said, did not find a difference.

One possible explanation for any potential difference in sensitivity is that a man's foreskin may protect his penis's head from rubbing against underwear and clothing. It's possible, the researchers write, that friction makes the head of the penis thicker, drier and ultimately less sensitive.

The researchers also found circumcised men were more likely to report more pain and numbness during arousal than uncircumcised men, which Hoebeke said is likely due to scar tissue.

"I'm amazed that people report pain during sexual pleasure… That's very amazing and that was unexpected," he said.

‘Abundantly clear' evidence

Tobian, from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, said the findings are missing important context.

"The medical evidence and the benefits of male circumcision are abundantly clear," Tobian told Reuters Health.

"If there was a vaccine out there that reduces the risk of HIV by 60%, herpes by 30% and the penile cancer causing HPV by 35%, the medical community would rally behind it," said Tobian.

The American Academy of Pediatrics says the benefits of male circumcision outweigh the risks, but stops short of recommending universal circumcision.

by Anonymousreply 9309/07/2014

Based on OP's post, this study has a pretty basic flaw: it doesn't pay any attention to the question of whether the men who were circumsized for religious reasons (probably most of those in Belgium) were brought up in a sex-stigmatizing environment. Very religious environments tend to send pretty negative messages about sex, and I'll bet those play at least as big a role in reducing sexual pleasure and sensitivity as circumsion does.

by Anonymousreply 202/15/2013

Or it may just be that men who have all the skin and nerves nature gave them have more intense orgasms, R2.

by Anonymousreply 302/15/2013

Well, we really can't answer that question based on the information contained in OP's post, can we, r3?

by Anonymousreply 402/15/2013

Doesn't uncircumcised penises have more problems with bacteria? That is what I have always heard.

by Anonymousreply 502/15/2013

The foreskin has more nerve endings than the clitorious. It protects the glands, this making them more sensative. Bottom line, no shit, Sherlock.

by Anonymousreply 702/15/2013

I am cut and enjoy sex immensely, as have my many cut partners. This is ridiculous and just fodder for our resident anti-circ FREAKS.

by Anonymousreply 802/15/2013

YES, r5.

by Anonymousreply 902/15/2013

You shouldn't need lube to wank.

by Anonymousreply 1102/15/2013

Total deluded bullshit, R7.

by Anonymousreply 1202/15/2013

Circumcision has been proven to lower HIV transmission rates. All the US boys I have been with regardless of religion were circumcised, reading these insane rantings on DL make it sound like only Jewish people do this. I realize someone in DL land is mad at their rabbi or mother but please take this shit to them.

by Anonymousreply 1302/15/2013

The country is still off the charts with STDs, HIV, etc.

Really R10? Africa has had extremely high death rate of AIDS in the world ,and they don't have circumcision within their culture.

by Anonymousreply 1402/15/2013

"Africa has had extremely high death rate of AIDS in the world ,and they don't have circumcision within their culture."

Where to begin with what's wrong here...

by Anonymousreply 1502/15/2013

This thread will end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 1602/15/2013

Statistically significant, .3 av difference.

Social significance, 0.

But .3 is all that is needed to get the anti circ freaks riled.

by Anonymousreply 1702/15/2013

"The foreskin has more nerve endings than the clitorious."

I assume you mean the clitoris? Then wrong. The male counterpart to the clitoris is the PENIS. The tissue covering the clitoris is similar to the foreskin.

by Anonymousreply 1802/15/2013

Obviously, the circumcised men in Belgium are likely to be muslim so their whole attitude to sex would be different, rendering OPs post meaningless.

Do the survey in America.

by Anonymousreply 1902/16/2013

How would they even know they're having less sexual sensation? I call bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 2002/16/2013

[quote]"If there was a vaccine out there that reduces the risk of HIV by 60%, herpes by 30% and the penile cancer causing HPV by 35%, the medical community would rally behind it," said Tobian.

Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 2102/16/2013

Americans keep trotting out junk science about to justify its backward adherence to a barbaric social practice that is unnecessary child abuse. It is also one country in the west that still uses the imperial system and has no universal health care.

by Anonymousreply 2206/01/2013

Was circumcised way too tight, making it somewhat uncomfortable at complete erection. Except for bj's, can't have sex without tons of lube and it must be thick and greasy.

by Anonymousreply 2306/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 2409/05/2014

Circumcision is the equivalent of female genital mutilation. .

by Anonymousreply 2509/05/2014

You said it, r25!

by Anonymousreply 2609/05/2014

Well, no, circumcision would be the equivalent of removing the clitoral hood.

But if you think about it, skin that is protected is mnore sensitive than skin that is not, I see no reason to think the head of your cock is different.

Men are born uncut, circumcision is unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 2709/05/2014

Gay men need to take the lead on ending male genital mutilation in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 2809/05/2014

[quote]Circumcision is the equivalent of female genital mutilation.

No, it's not. With female circumcision, they cut off the clitoris, which is an erectile organ. That would be like cutting off the head (or glans) of the penis, which male circumcision is not.

by Anonymousreply 2909/05/2014

[quote]Gay men need to take the lead on ending male genital mutilation in the USA.

How would they go about this? It's women who give birth to these boys not gay men. Watch circumcision rates spike even higher the minute the public perceives it as a gay cause because most hetero parents don't want their son to be gay or different.

by Anonymousreply 3009/06/2014

I'm just happy to be alive in a time where the men I'm attracted to (all-american types and middle Eastern men) are mostly circumcised. If they decided to ban it now, I wouldn't care a lick because as a thirty something gay guy, I have no intention of having sex with someone born after 1995, ever.

by Anonymousreply 3109/06/2014

The UN is pro circ. The World Health Organisation now officially recommends male circumcision, especially in Africa. Circumcision is here to stay and divide the gays.

by Anonymousreply 3209/06/2014

The natural penis is beautiful in every way.

by Anonymousreply 3309/06/2014

The vast majority of the world's males are intact and are perfectly healthy. European, Asian and South American males are overwhelmingly uncircumcised and have lower HIV and STD rates than American men. There is also a large percentage of Canadian males who are intact and are doing perfectly fine. Circumcision is barbaric and unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 3409/06/2014

Hey 25 and 26, do you actually think that mutilating a woman so that she cannot have an orgasm and therefore NO sexual pleasure is the same as the male procedure. A procedure that's biggest drawbacks are that you spend less time washing your dick and take longer to cum. There is no word derogatory enough to describe the lack of intelligence you possess.

by Anonymousreply 3509/06/2014

Later in life, un-circumcised penises tend to make problems for the lucky owner. He will have to wash more often to counteract the odor emanating from him. His penis will dribble more; therefore more bother to keep clean. Very annoying! Unless you experience this, you don't know how much washing is involved to keep odor-free.

by Anonymousreply 3609/06/2014

Is 34 suggesting that circumcision is the reason American men have a higher HIV and STD rates if that's even the truth? Also notice 34 left Africa out of the equation, where uncut males and skyrocketing AIDS numbers go hand in hand.

by Anonymousreply 3709/06/2014

Oh my.. let me grab some popcorn because this thread is going down. lol. This should be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3809/06/2014

R36. You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm in my 60s and have never had any problems with my foreskin. I shower daily and have no problem with hygiene or odor. And it takes no extra time or effort. And if you think that you get a pass on washing your dick because your dick has been unnecessarily sliced, then you're even more ignorant than I first may have thought.

R37. AIDS is more of a problem in Africa than it is in other parts of the world for many reasons least of all flawed circumcision studoes. It's also a heterosexual problem more than anything else. It's a question of lifestyle, sexual partners, hygiene, education, etc. And circumcision has no significance or affect on males who have sex with other males. Condoms are the answer not circumcision.

by Anonymousreply 3909/06/2014

When you read all this stuff it's got to be difficult for parents particular single women who have baby boys to decide what to do. Probably somewhat agonizing decision in that is cannot be reversed once performed .

by Anonymousreply 4009/06/2014

I agree 39, that it's unsafe sexual practices, how many partners ect. that effect HIV numbers. But 35 and others are clearly implying that being uncut makes you less likely to catch an STD.

How do you know that you take no extra time or effort to wash your dick? It's not like you have any way to compare.

by Anonymousreply 4109/06/2014

Why would it be an agonizing decision? Don't mutilate your child. If he wants to be circumcised he can do it himself later in life.

by Anonymousreply 4209/06/2014

R40. You want to know how to decide about circumcision? You don't decide. You let the owner of the penis remain as nature intended. And if he want to get cut, he can decide as an adult. And you know what? This barbaric practice would end because the man would realize that there is no need to get cut. It wouldn't even be an issue. The man would be enjoying his foreskin and wouldn't even consider cutting it off. He would realize that his foreskin is a normal, sensitive, healthy and perfectly functioning body part that should remain part of the penis.

And if there is a medical reason to be cut, then that should be treated individually just like tonsils--an operation that has for the most part fallen out of favor because it's not necessary.

When it comes the penis: Leave it alone. It's very simple. The world's males are doing just fine and have been doing fine for a million years with intact penises. Remember: His Body. His Rights.

by Anonymousreply 4309/06/2014

Everyone loves to throw the word mutilate around like it's the end of the argument. And 25/42 will even compare this to what they do to women in northern Africa and many Muslim countries and declare it the same. So what exactly does this mutilation do that has ruined your lives? And what makes you think that having a foreskin would make it better? Sounds like a bunch of privileged white Americans who need to invent something to complain about.

by Anonymousreply 4409/06/2014

It comes down to bodily autonomy and leaving the decision in the hands of the person whose possesses the penis.

by Anonymousreply 4509/06/2014

You're absolutely right, R33, and what's natural for me is to be circumcised. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for not letting me look like a freak when I take my pants off.

Smegma catchers catch smegma, an altogether optional substance.

by Anonymousreply 4609/06/2014

Oh 45, it's all just about body autonomy now is it? What about how how cutting off a boy's foreskin, which has little if any use in modern times, is just like taking the clitoris of a girl, which is needed for females to cum? Or so you heartily agreed when your fellow genius said so.

What was that about how having a foreskin has ruined anything for you or adversely effected how you live?

Yeah, I thought so.

by Anonymousreply 4709/06/2014

Yea, but in the civilized world we don't mutilate female genitalia. We know better that it is wrong. However, there is a different standard when it is applied to male babies. Treating a baby's normal genitals as though they are in need of "fixing" is a sick and unhealthy mindset.

by Anonymousreply 4809/06/2014

R46 is a moron. R47 makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 4909/06/2014

The truth hurts, R49, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 5009/06/2014

What a ridiculous study. Its not the least bit scientific.

To ask men how sensitive we think our penises are? There is no frame of reference.

A proper study would subject men to the same stimuli under the same conditions and measure sensitivity based on defined criteria.

by Anonymousreply 5109/06/2014

I want my foreskin back! I bet it was nice and long and I can only imagine how amazing it must feel to just grab your cock and jerk off without lube.

by Anonymousreply 5209/06/2014

R48 Only in your sadly limited brain. If circumcision was the norm in your culture and everyone did it, you'd be a circ fangurl just like everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 5309/06/2014

Wrong r53, on all accounts!

by Anonymousreply 5409/06/2014

r40 Foreskin restoration IS possible, either surgically, or through stretching/manipulation techniques. The use of small weights attached to what remains of the foreskin, should there be any, is another way this can be accomplished. Ain't science grand?

by Anonymousreply 5509/06/2014

sex is mostly mental, not much difference just in ya big head hehe.

by Anonymousreply 5609/06/2014

Not being circumcised is directly linked to not getting as many blow jobs as your circumcised peers.

by Anonymousreply 5709/06/2014

Don't mutilate your child's sex!

by Anonymousreply 5809/06/2014

Fucking Americans. You should get out more, you really should. Maybe travel outside your own borders once in your sad, provincial lives.

Is there a more backward nation?

by Anonymousreply 5909/06/2014

Imagine R8 how much more you'd enjoy sex if you were not circumcised.

by Anonymousreply 6009/06/2014

"Overall, 310 men who took the survey were circumcised"

300 people isn't a huge sample size

by Anonymousreply 6109/06/2014

My cousin's fiance insisted he get cut before they get married as she thought foreskins were gross. Being a dumb straight man, he did as his woman told him to.

He told me that after the circ, the sex was pretty intense for the first 6 months, to the point that it was painful.

After that he said he noticed the sensations were dramatically reduced. Now at the age of 40, he says he feels "almost nothing" when he has sex, and his orgasms are "dull".

He compares masturbation to rubbing the palm of his hand.

So to all those cut guys who think you're having great intense sensations and orgasms, multiply that by about 50 and you'll understand what uncut men feel during sex.

Too bad for you.

by Anonymousreply 6209/06/2014

Hate to break it to you younger guys, but your orgasms will diminish in intensity after forty no matter what. It's called getting older and having a foreskin won't help.

It really looks like some of the people on this thread think that being uncut is all that's coming between them and and mind blowing sex. Another "if only" to lament over, and for no other reason than to whine.

by Anonymousreply 6309/06/2014

Has anyone ever sued their parents for mutilating them as a baby? Because that's basically what it is. We don't go around cutting off other body parts at birth.

by Anonymousreply 6409/06/2014

R64, your mother should have cut off your mouth. Or your typing fingers.

by Anonymousreply 6509/06/2014

Foreskin is not a body part; it's loose skin. You can live without it just fine. Scientists speculate that it originally formed to protect early man as he walked through brush naked, but now that people for the most part are fully clothed it becomes obsolete.

by Anonymousreply 6609/06/2014

What R66 said. It's our dewclaw.

by Anonymousreply 6709/06/2014

An uncircumcised penis has an untold number of nerves that greatly increase sexual stimulation and pleasure. Circumcision was started in the US because some doctor deemed it unhealthy due to many people only bathing once a week if that. Europeans never cut their dicks off and took quite happy and healthy to me. Guys just have to wash more often like women.

My German husband, rest his soul had tripped several times over his foreskin, now that was dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 6809/06/2014

R66 you can live with four fingers on each hand too. You can also live with missing toes. You can live without many things, but you should be given the fucking opportunity to decide. The foreskin is there for a reason and it's not just to protect the glans from thorny bushes.

by Anonymousreply 6909/06/2014

Who really cares about this shit unless you are having a son? Circumcised dudes will never know what it feels like to cum with a uncut dick, but you think that's going to stop them from masturbating and having sex? Right. NEXT!

by Anonymousreply 7009/06/2014

Word up R69, back 52 years ago they didn't even asked parents, it was just assumed. I miss mine and I love intact guys, imagine that.

by Anonymousreply 7109/06/2014

R69 you';re being extreme. Fingers and thumbs help to grasp and toes help you to walk and keep your balance. Not to mention, removing a finger or toe is more complicated (and takes longer to heal) than simply snipping off excess skin. But what is the purpose of the foreskin now?

by Anonymousreply 7209/06/2014

R72, no I don't believe I am being extreme. It's not just a "piece of skin". It has nerve endings in it and it keeps the glans moist. Without that covering, the glans dries out and the skin becomes coarse and loses sensitivity.

It's not like cutting off toenails or hair, it's a part of someone's anatomy and serves a purpose. And I won't even go into the horrific scar tissue some men are left with for the rest of their lives.

So NO DEAR, I am not being dramatic, it's a barbaric thing to do to an infant and it's permanent, it won't grow back.

by Anonymousreply 7309/06/2014

Oh, no. I have a dry glans. I shall have to cut off my penis.

by Anonymousreply 7409/06/2014

r73 try to do best with what you've got, dear.

by Anonymousreply 7509/06/2014

Really? Have any of you circumcised guys ever said to yourselves while fucking someone or getting a blow job

"Wow I bet this would feel so much better if I had some foreskin."

by Anonymousreply 7609/06/2014

Makes sense. Cut penises are exposed to surface areas all the time. Uncut penises aren't, so when they do become exposed, it makes sense they'd be more sensitive.

I'm uncut and my orgasms are intense enough that even after cumming they stay hard and I can cum again.

Still, these anti and pro discussions make me think ALL of you have ugly small penises. All the hung uncut AND cut men I know never have problems getting laid regardless of their cut status. It's a non-factor.

The ugly cut and uncut dicks always seem to be the small ones after all.

by Anonymousreply 7709/06/2014

Oh, every time I take out my penis, R76. I have [italic]such[/italic] a case of foreskin envy.

by Anonymousreply 7809/06/2014

Why do the heads of uncut cocks so often look shiny and red?

by Anonymousreply 7909/06/2014

Because they are moist and haven't dried out. But according to most of the posters here it's no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 8009/06/2014

In fact, R76, I am not going to have sex anymore. If I can't be uncut, what's the point?

by Anonymousreply 8109/06/2014

There ya go 81.

by Anonymousreply 8209/06/2014

I feel sorry for those who'll never experience the exquisite bliss of a tongue under one's foreskin and the tension as it holds it close. Circumcision is barbaric mutilation pure and simple.

by Anonymousreply 8309/06/2014

[quote]It's called getting older and having a foreskin won't help.

Sorry R63, but I'm uncut and at the age of 41 my orgasms are just as intense as my teenage years.

by Anonymousreply 8409/06/2014

I don't feel one bit sorry that I will never have to suffer the collection of personality disorders known as R83 in real life.

by Anonymousreply 8509/06/2014

R85 types OLD. Can you still FIND your little acorn, Gramps?

by Anonymousreply 8609/06/2014

R86, looks like I was right about you.

by Anonymousreply 8709/06/2014

I had a European boyfriend once that said cut dicks were desensitized by rubbing against underwear/pants all day.

by Anonymousreply 8809/06/2014

You're lucky 84, but by the time you are fifty you will loss some sensation, unless you are really lucky.

But the person who said he knew a guy who was cut and blamed his lessoning of sensation on the procedure reminded me of one of my cousins years ago. She had a baby in her mid twenties and soon after began sprouting hair on her chin. So she deduced that chilbirth caused it. A few years later, her younger childless sister, now almost the same age as the elder when she had her baby, also starting growing stray hairs. So much for blaming it on childbirth.

by Anonymousreply 8909/06/2014

Americans do this horrible thing to reduce sexual pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 9009/06/2014

I believe that is true, r88.

by Anonymousreply 9109/07/2014

No 90, that's not why Americans do it. They do it because so many men don't want to wash their dicks often enough to prevent that nasty smelly stuff from forming.

by Anonymousreply 9209/07/2014

[quote]I want my foreskin back! I bet it was nice and long and I can only imagine how amazing it must feel to just grab your cock and jerk off without lube.

I'm uncut and I very rarely use lube. I don't need to use it but sometimes it's nice to have a more slippery wank. But 99% of the time I don't use lube.

To the people claiming uncut cock needs more time to clean: it doesn't. Although I don't have the biggest foreskin I don't think any guy with a foreskin has to spend more than few seconds washing their cocks. Unless of course if they enjoy the sensation.

by Anonymousreply 9309/07/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!