Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Coronation Street star Michael Le Vell charged with child sex offences

- Le Vell who plays Kevin Webster has been charged with 19 offences

- He was first arrested and questioned by police in September 2011

- The charges include raping a child and sexual activity with a child

15 February 2013

Coronation Street star Michael Le Vell has been charged with 19 child sex offences, including raping a child and sexual activity with a child.

Le Vell, 48, who plays mechanic Kevin Webster in the ITV1 soap, was originally arrested and questioned in September 2011 over child sex allegations, but no charges were brought.

But Greater Manchester Police confirmed late last night that Le Vell, real name Michael Turner, will appear in court in two weeks time.

The charges relate to offences between 2001 and 2010, police said.

They were brought against the popular actor, who lives in Hale, Cheshire, after a review of evidence by the Crown Prosecution Service.

A police spokesman said last night: 'A man has been charged with 19 child sex offences.

'Michael Turner has been charged with 19 offences including raping a child, indecently assaulting a child and sexual activity with a child.

'He is due to appear at Manchester Magistrates on Wednesday February 27.

'The charges, which were authorised by the CPS following a review of evidence, relate to offences against a child between 2001 and 2010.'

Alison Levitt, QC, principal legal adviser to the Director of Public Prosecutions, had reviewed a file of evidence in relation to allegations of sexual offences and looked again at a decision previously made not to prosecute.

Ms Levitt said: 'I have very carefully reviewed the evidence in this case and I have concluded that there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest to charge Michael Robert Turner with a number of sexual offences.

'I have authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Mr Turner with 19 offences, including rape of a child.

'Mr Turner has now been charged with criminal offences and has a right to a fair trial.

'As proceedings are now active, it would be inappropriate to say anything further at this stage.'

Le Vell, a father of two and originally from Manchester, is one of the shows most famous faces, with fans gripped by his tumultuous on and off relationship with on-screen wife Sally, played by Sally Dynevor.

His acting career began in the Oldham Theatre Workshop after he became interested in amateur dramatics at school.

His big break came when he won the part of Kevin Webster after auditioning following another role on the soap, as Neil Grimshaw, a newspaper delivery boy who worked at The Kabin.

He first appeared as Webster in the soap on October 19 1983, moving in with Hilda Ogden as her lodger and getting a job as an apprentice mechanic with Brian Tilsley.

Le Vell has featured in some of Coronation Street's most explosive storylines, most recently Webster's affair with Molly Dobbs.

The actor split from his wife Janette Beverley last year.

by Anonymousreply 2802/16/2013

Why Kevin?!? Why?

by Anonymousreply 102/15/2013

This show has had so many off screen sex scandals. The show usually fires those involved in these scandals.

Hate to see him go, but it looks like his days will be numbered.

by Anonymousreply 202/15/2013

For Americans, this is the British equivalent of Danny Romalotti on The Young & the Restless. Imagine your surprise.

by Anonymousreply 302/15/2013

They never said whether it was a boy or a girl, or whether the child was young or a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 402/15/2013

What diff does it make he raped someone, child/teenager/granny/corpse... it is RAPE

by Anonymousreply 502/15/2013

What is up with British tv stars?

by Anonymousreply 602/15/2013

Blimey!!

by Anonymousreply 702/15/2013

r2 He is a fucking child rapist surely it is likely he will be going.

Awful actor into the bargain

by Anonymousreply 802/15/2013

I can only see them killing off the character to free Sally for future storyline.

by Anonymousreply 902/15/2013

He was a bit of a hottie when he first appeared. Sick stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1002/15/2013

He's a real hairy guy. Pocket bear. I guess Tyrone will end up with the garage. Maybe he and Tommy Duckworth can run it together. I hope Tyrone and Fiz get together.

by Anonymousreply 1102/15/2013

Over my dead body

by Anonymousreply 1202/15/2013

Annie Walker isn't alive to interrogate him. Alas.

by Anonymousreply 1302/15/2013

But was it child rape child rape?

by Anonymousreply 1402/15/2013

But if it's a legitimate child rape their bodies have a way of shutting the whole thing down. There has never been even ONE pregnancy caused by a legitimate rape of a three year old. Proving something. Holy Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 1502/15/2013

The child victim was probably a hooker

by Anonymousreply 1602/15/2013

I wonder if it was one of the cast members? I find it hard to believe that our Kevin could do this. Best keep him away from Bessie Street School!

by Anonymousreply 1702/16/2013

What is Kevin and Sally current storyline now?

And is Tyrone still getting beat up by his wife?

by Anonymousreply 1802/16/2013

Coronation Street actor Michael Le Vell has said he is innocent of all child sex charges against him and will "fight them vigorously".

Le Vell said: "I would like to make it quite clear that following the serious allegations that have been brought against me on Thursday 14th February 2013, I am innocent of these charges and intend to fight them vigorously.

"I will now put all my efforts into clearing my name and proving my innocence."

ITV has dropped him from further episodes of the show. Sara Roache memorial Michael Le Vell was first questioned over the child sex allegations in 2011

A spokesman said: "Given the serious nature of these charges, Michael Le Vell will not be appearing in Coronation Street pending the outcome of legal proceedings. It would not be appropriate for us to comment further at this time."

An emergency recast is currently being sought

by Anonymousreply 1902/16/2013

They should get Colin Farrell to stand in, no one will ever notice the difference.

by Anonymousreply 2002/16/2013

His future is not looking too Rosie

by Anonymousreply 2102/16/2013

Perhaps he can get a job on Blue Peter.

by Anonymousreply 2202/16/2013

He could ask Fiz if she has Hope, R21.

by Anonymousreply 2302/16/2013

So if they do an emergency recast, who would they cast?

by Anonymousreply 2402/16/2013

If memory serves when he first faced accusations in 2011 it was a teenage girl? Is this the same girl or another one? Interesting that his missus seemed to stand by him when the 2011 accusations were made yet they quietly split after he was cleared . The press has been surprisingly mum ...

by Anonymousreply 2502/16/2013

There was always something scuzzy about him, especially recently. He will be written out of the show now after 30 years as if he had never been there .... lets hope he has saved enough as he will never work again - mind you that wont matter if he is in prison.

The girl he had the fling with, Molly, is still dead too .... Kevin finally gets his comeuppance. His lesbian daughter in the show is a drip, and the other one Rosie a real airhead nympho - will we ever see her again either? Who will Sally turn to next? They have made Sally rather unlikeable which is an interesting development ...

by Anonymousreply 2602/16/2013

This would never happen on EASTENDERS!

by Anonymousreply 2702/16/2013

Yes nice Sally has got rather bitchy and uppity in recent years, but who can blame her.

She needs hot sex with Jason Grimshaw, the Mr Gay Weatherfield !

But anything is welcome as long as we dont have any more of Carla and Peter .....

Sunita too pays for her infidelity as she gets burnt to a crisp when the Rovers pub goes up in flames (its already been filmed) as they are getting a new pub. The totally repellent Karl goes back to Stella (is she mad?) and Sunita gets kebabbed .... how will the awful Dev and his ghastly voice take it ?

by Anonymousreply 2802/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.