Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

India Wilkes was a major bitch.

Always angry at the world. Never happy. She needed to get fucked by one of the Tarleton brothers.

by Anonymousreply 7111/16/2013

They're dead, so I guess she'll remain a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 102/14/2013

One of the Tarleton brothers was played by George Reeves, who went on to become the black & white Superman on TV. Either of them would have been good for whatever ailed anyone.

by Anonymousreply 202/14/2013

Well, this thread went nowhere fast.

by Anonymousreply 302/14/2013

[quote]She needed to get fucked by one of the Tarleton brothers.

No, she needed it from one of the field hands. Once you try black, you never go back.

by Anonymousreply 402/14/2013

You'd be a major bitch too if you were the leading contender for the part of Scarlett O'Hara and then suddenly some British floozy came in and stole the part from under your nose.

by Anonymousreply 502/14/2013

Rumor has it that India favored the carpet down at Belle Watling's place.

by Anonymousreply 602/14/2013

Alicia Rhett (I think she is still alive, isn't she?) was never seriously up for Scarlett. She was found in the "great Scarlett casting hunt" but she was not considered for the big role.

by Anonymousreply 702/14/2013

R7 from what I've read the big search for Scarlett was just a publicity ploy to keep up the public's interest in the project because it was taking so long to get it started.

by Anonymousreply 802/14/2013

Can you imagine if things had been different. Poor Charles Hamilton would've married her. She'd have been a shrew to him. We all know he didn't die of the flux. He ran off with another soldier and they went to the promised land out west of injun territory in a place called San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 902/14/2013

India was always jealous if her sister Cameroon.

by Anonymousreply 1002/14/2013

This is truly the eldergay thread to end all eldergay threads.

This is SO 1862, gurl!

by Anonymousreply 1102/14/2013

I think India is just in need of a good revisionist history, like the Witch got in WICKED.

PASSAGE TO INDIA: A Young Southern Belle's Journey to Self-Discovery

by Anonymousreply 1202/14/2013

Poor India- A widow so young, forced to wear black.

by Anonymousreply 1302/14/2013

[quote]Alicia Rhett (I think she is still alive, isn't she?) was never seriously up for Scarlett.

Who do you think Brando got the line "I coulda been a contender" from?

by Anonymousreply 1402/14/2013

Oh she's always hated me, Melly. Ever since I took your brother Charles away from her, but she's too much of a hypocrite to admit it. Why if she thought anyone would take after her, she'd walk down the street naked!!

by Anonymousreply 1502/14/2013

Mmm Mmm Mmm

by Anonymousreply 1602/14/2013

You stupid fool! You've done everything you could to lower the prestige of decent people!

by Anonymousreply 1702/14/2013

India was like the Edith of GONE WITH THE WIND.

by Anonymousreply 1802/15/2013

OP, now start a thread about Rebecca.

by Anonymousreply 1902/15/2013

Hey, it could have been worse. She could have been cut from the movie altogether!

by Anonymousreply 2002/15/2013

I'll cut a bitch who tries to steal my next man.

by Anonymousreply 2102/15/2013

Marry old, India. Then no one will want your crusty leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 2202/15/2013

Thanks R18! Probably one of Scarlett's sisters is more comparable to India but India and Edith have that genteel bitchy attitude that works.

by Anonymousreply 2302/15/2013

She probably would have married one of the Tarletons if they all hadn't been killed in the war.

by Anonymousreply 2402/15/2013

Those Tarleton boys had a swordfight in my mouth, and then double teamed my hole. Damn, they were some hot pieces of ass.

by Anonymousreply 2502/15/2013

The Tarletons weren't killed in the war. They ran off to Paris to live together as "best pals" Jacques and Louie.

by Anonymousreply 2602/15/2013

The Tarleton brothers were the bread in my manwich. They worked over my maguyna so long I was sore for a week.

by Anonymousreply 2702/15/2013

Yes, Alicia Rhett is still hanging on at 98.

by Anonymousreply 2802/15/2013

If you think she's a bitch, you should see her mother.

by Anonymousreply 2902/15/2013

Wow, she looks so old in that picture. She had such striking looks in GWTW. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 3002/15/2013

R30 actually she looks pretty good for pushing 100.

by Anonymousreply 3102/15/2013

For anyone who's interested, this is all anyone needs to know about India and Honey Wilkes (info comes from the novel):

India and Honey are described by Mrs. Tarleton as "nice girls, but washed out." She's refering to their appearance; neither one is very attractive. Scarlett observes that the Wilkes men are the ones with all the looks. Honey has the "odd, lashless look of a rabbit" and India can be described by no other word than "plain."

Honey is giggly, ditzy and "man-crazy." But she has enough intuition to realize that Scarlett has the hots for her brother and she tells Melanie and a group of girls at the barbecue that there's only one man "she gives a rap about...and that's Ashley!" She and Charles Hamilton have an "understanding" that once he came into his property they would be married (the Wilkes always marry their cousins), even though he was kind of "lukewarm" about it. To hurt Honey, Scarlett steals Charles away from her, even though she doesn't even like him. It's supposed that Honey will never catch another man, but after she and India refugee to Macon during the war she marries a man from Mississippi, a gentleman and a man of some means, who has a loud voice and jolly ways, and apparently they live happily ever after.

India is cool, self-contained, very well-bred and educated. She's in love with Stuart Tarleton. They might have married, if Scarlett hadn't stolen him away. After Scarlett marries Charles, India and Stuart take up again, and they probably would have been married if Stuart hadn't been killed at Gettysburg. India, very much a one-man woman, never even attempts to become involved with another man, and her position is almost that of a widow. She lived with Honey and her husband in Macon, but finding Honey's coarse husband unbearable, she goes to live with Melanie and Ashley. When she sees Ashley and Scarlett hugging she enrages Melanie by accusing them of adultery and Melanie puts her out of the house. She goes to live with Aunt Pitty and at the end of the novel is still living with her.

by Anonymousreply 3202/15/2013

I DO eat Mammy's excrement.

by Anonymousreply 3302/15/2013

Forget Aunt Pitty, I want to know about Alicia Rhett. Why did she only do the one film? She's really, really good in GWTW.

by Anonymousreply 3402/15/2013

Pakistan Wilkes lived in a ditch.

by Anonymousreply 3502/15/2013

No one ever talks about poor cousins Malaysia Wilkes or Siam Wilkes.

by Anonymousreply 3602/16/2013

If you're only going to do one film, GWTW would be the film to do.

In the movie India was the sister promised to Charles Hamilton, and she was quite pissed at Scarlett taking him away.

by Anonymousreply 3702/16/2013

She was related to Cambodia Wilkes by her great-uncle Burma.

by Anonymousreply 3802/16/2013

I thought Honey was in the film. When Melanie, India, Sue Ellen are walking down the stairs at Twelve Oaks after their nap and Scarlett is hiding underneath the stairs, I thought Honey was the 4th blonde woman with them.

by Anonymousreply 3902/16/2013

If I was Ashley, I would have drop-kicked my sister down Peachtree Street if she had flapping her gums about what she saw at the mill. Then she doesn't even have the decency to show up at Ashley's party that night. She's a real asshole that one.

by Anonymousreply 4002/16/2013

Honey married a widower from Mississippi and had a passel of children.

by Anonymousreply 4102/16/2013

r39, that fourth woman in that scene is unnamed. I'm sure the filmmakers didn't mean for us to interpret her as Honey or there would have been some mention of her name, some mention of what happened to her after the war, etc.

"Then she doesn't even have the decency to show up at Ashley's party that night."

r40, the idea is that Melanie, in anger at India for spreading the tale of what she saw, has forbidden her to come. (This is explicit in the book, in which, as r32 says, Melanie no longer allows India to live with them after this event. The movie is not so explicit, but still I think the clear implication is that India's absence is Melanie's doing, not India's.)

It is interesting that India, in blabbing about this, doesn't seem to take into account that she's trashing her own brother as well as Scarlett. Maybe she just knew that, since most people hated Scarlett anyway, everyone would interpret it in the light least favorable to Scarlett, and that Ashley would be seen as an innocent victim of Scarlett's advances.

by Anonymousreply 4202/16/2013

I used to smoke

I used to bitch

I used to smoke, bitch and dance the hoochy-koo

Lord it's true

Now I'm standing on this corner praying for me and you

That's why I'm saved, saaaaaaaaved

by Anonymousreply 4302/16/2013

The ironic thing about the hug that India witnessed, is that it was the one time Scarlett was not looking for anything and Ashley was comforting her in an old friendship sort of way. In the book it is clear that she feels nothing romantic at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 4402/16/2013

Thanks, R42 and R44. I read the book when I was 12, so I don't remember a lot of that.

by Anonymousreply 4502/16/2013

I think Scarlett and India were actually sisters under the skin. But Scarlett had a ravishing beauty that India did not have.

by Anonymousreply 4602/16/2013

So Alicia Rhett read for Melanie, but Cukor - who loved her - felt they would need a more experienced actress for Melanie.

by Anonymousreply 4702/16/2013

A minor correction. Melanie doesn't throw India out of her house. India is living with Aunt Pitty when Melanie tells her never to set foot in her and Ashley's house again.

India, spinster sister that she is, comes to live with Ashley and Melanie. India eventually goes to live with Aunt Pitty. Scarlett and her husband Frank lived in Aunt Pitty's house; after Frank's death, Scarlett and and Rhett marry and live in a hotel until their horribly garish (due to Scarlett's bad taste) house is built. In order to keep Pitty pacified (she's terrified to live "alone", even though there are servants living in the house, too) it's somehow arranged for India to come live with her. I remember Rhett telling Scarlett that India could come live with Pitty to "keep the bogeyman away."

After India speaks her mind about seeing Scarlett and Ashley in an embrace Melanie tells Scarlett that "she'll never set foot in this house again."

by Anonymousreply 4802/16/2013

Melanie was such a cold fish. If she'd just loosened up and enjoyed a little gossip and trash-talk, she would have had a much better time - and probably lived longer, too.

by Anonymousreply 4902/16/2013

OP, yes, but she was only a brevet major bitch through the duration of the war, at which time she reverted to captain bitch again.

by Anonymousreply 5002/16/2013

R2 Superman was one of the first COLOR TV shows to air in the early 50's.

It was wildly popular!

by Anonymousreply 5102/16/2013

It was only color in its last season, r51. It was originally in black and white, and done very cheaply.

by Anonymousreply 5202/16/2013

[quote]If she'd just loosened up and enjoyed a little gossip and trash-talk, she would have had a much better time - and probably lived longer, too.

Melanie died because she "loosened up" enough to attempt a second pregnancy. Dr. Meade told her having another baby might kill her and it did.

by Anonymousreply 5302/17/2013

After the Superman gig ended, George Reeves had a brilliant career as a televise commercial actor.

One of his major roles was in costume as the anthropomorphic Kool-Aid Jug busting through walls.

by Anonymousreply 5402/17/2013

Edith and India-great connection R18. Maybe India is gay. I am sure a lot spinster women were. In the book she also represents a man shortage. Not enough men to marry after the war, which explains why she would also be jealous of Miss O'Hara. Not only my man but my brother, Rhett , and Frank! Who the hell does you think she is?

by Anonymousreply 5502/17/2013

"Maybe India is gay. I am sure a lot spinster women were. In the book she also represents a man shortage"

The first place I'd look for the Lez is Scarlett's youngest sister Careen, who joins a convent after the war. Not even a post-war man shortage is enough for her!

by Anonymousreply 5602/17/2013

R56, no, Carreen was in love with one of the dead Tarleton boys too.

by Anonymousreply 5702/24/2013

India would probably move in with Ashley after Melly's death and raise their son.

by Anonymousreply 5802/24/2013

She needed some donkey dong.

by Anonymousreply 5909/30/2013

India just needed a Jenny Jones makeover.

by Anonymousreply 6009/30/2013

Why did thy cut the poor cousin--Bangladesh Wilkes--out of GWTW?

by Anonymousreply 6109/30/2013

India must have it in her head that someone finds her attractive; she's walking naked down Peachtree Street again.

by Anonymousreply 6209/30/2013

If you leave me now!

by Anonymousreply 6309/30/2013

Was it over-the-top of Selznick and Walter Plunkett to put India in that ugly brown dress for the barbecue? Seems like overkill that, just because she's supposed to be not a pretty girl, she also couldn't tell what is or isn't a pretty color.

by Anonymousreply 6409/30/2013

I have it on good authority that India wore crotchless, black pantalets under that simple brown dress.

by Anonymousreply 6509/30/2013

ALL ladies undies were crotchless in those days, R65.

No, really.

by Anonymousreply 6610/01/2013

I don't think India would've been happy with her Tarleton twin if he had survived Gettysburg. She was learned and refined and the twins had been expelled from a couple colleges for hell-raising.

by Anonymousreply 6710/01/2013

R15 One of my favorite scenes from the whole movie. My sister imitates it perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 6810/01/2013

Alicia Rhett was quite pretty, but next to Vivien Leigh, ain't nobody has a chance!

I agree that Scarlett and India were two sides of the same coin and that India was deep in the throes of Stockholm Syndrome. I'd love to give her a 21st century makeover and find her a good therapist who helps her unleash her inner wild poly-pansexual bohemian artist. I also like to think Scarlett would have been seriously punk rock.

by Anonymousreply 6911/16/2013

You'd be bitchy too if the only man you ever loved was stolen away by a heartless vixen who only wanted him because he was somebody else's beau. You'd be in a perpetual bad mood too if the only man you ever loved got killed in a stupid war before you could get married.

After Stuart Tarleton's death, India's position is "almost that of a widow" and she was given the respect due to someone who had been "wanted, if not wed." She's very much a one-man woman and never attempts to attain another beau. Grandma Fontaine said of her "she's old (she was 25!) but she could catch some old widower if she tried."

by Anonymousreply 7011/16/2013

[quote]Grandma Fontaine said of her "she's old (she was 25!) but she could catch some old widower if she tried."

Grandma Fontaine sounds just like a WeHo queen watching the street life on Santa Monica Blvd on a Saturday night.

by Anonymousreply 7111/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.