Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rose Marie

Why did she always look old? She went right from toddler to dentures. Always looked like a worn-out waitress.

After Dick van Dyke, did she survive totally on game show money? How much do those things pay?

She's still alive, btw.

by Anonymousreply 6802/18/2013

How many of those black bows did she own??

by Anonymousreply 102/14/2013

You'd look old too if you were a pass around party favor practically from birth. She wears the black bow as a symbol of her stolen youth and innocence.

by Anonymousreply 202/14/2013

"After Dick van Dyke, did she survive totally on game show money?"

She was a co-star for two seasons on Doris Day's sitcom in the late 60s. Other than that ... dunno?

by Anonymousreply 402/14/2013

Her hubby was wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 502/14/2013

Rose Marie toured the country for years in the revue 4 Girls 4, originally with Rosemary Clooney, Margaret Whiting and Helen O'Connell. Other older women vocalists (including the wonderful Kaye Ballard) joined the act as the originals dropped out or took time off.

The link goes to a wonderful Rosemary Clooney website that has many pages dedicated to the story of 4 Girls 4.

by Anonymousreply 602/14/2013

She loathed Mary Tyler Moore for usurping her role as lead on the van Dyke show. The show was originally supposed to focus on Rob Petrie's work life, with her essentially as lead female. When the focus began to switch to Rob's home life and Rose's airtime diminished, she was angry. Still holds a grudge against Mary all these years later. It's amazing that nearly 50 years later, the actors are still around except for Jerry Paris, Morey Amsterdam, and Richard Deacon.

by Anonymousreply 702/14/2013

I always read it was the other way around, r7. That Moore was cold to her from the start. Having learned of Moore's less than warm offscreen persona I can believe the stories.

by Anonymousreply 802/14/2013

I was watching some DVDs of the old Bob Cummings Show in which he played a playboy LA cheesecake photographer and Ann B. Davis, who most of you will only know as Alice from The Brady Bunch, played Bob's "man-hungry" secretary/Girl Friday Schultzy.

Well, imagine my surprise when Rose Marie turned up in a few episodes playing one of Schultzy's bffs! Kathleen Freeman (does anyone remember her??) played another gal pal. They were all drooling over Bob.

Rose Marie looked exactly the same as ever and essentially played the prototype of Sally from the Dick Van Dyke Show. I think those episodes were filmed around 1956 or 57.

by Anonymousreply 902/14/2013

pic is 2 years old. Doesn't look too bad.

by Anonymousreply 1002/14/2013

I loved when THE NANNY did a DICK VAN DYKE SHOW parody in their tag scene. Mr. Sheffield as Rob, Fran as Laura, C.C. as Sal, and Niles as Mel. (Skip to 20:17)

by Anonymousreply 1102/14/2013

r8

Nope r7 is correct. Valarie Harper and everyone else on Mary Tyler Moore describes MTM as extremely warm and welcoming. In fact Harper says she tried to base her style toward her coworkers on her shows as MTM did to her.

MTM was hired simply to be an "ear" to Dick Van Dyke and be a straightwoman. This left Rose Marie as the comedy force for the ladies.

This changed as MTM gained experience and with the casting of Ann Morgan Guilbert as Millie. Guilbert got the role because Jerry Paris recommended her so highly.

Reiner wanted a much younger and prettier woman to play Millie, but Paris convinced her that since Laura was going to be a straightwoman she needed a funny neighbor and Guilbert got the job.

Of course MTM showed she was great a comedy. Carl Reiner said it was the episode where Millie dyed Laura's hair that he knew he found a winner with MTM.

by Anonymousreply 1202/15/2013

[quote]In fact Harper says she tried to base her style toward her coworkers on her shows as MTM did to her.

Then why was she such a bitch to Jason Bateman on VALERIE after he started to become the breakthrough star of that show? Jealous bitch!

by Anonymousreply 1302/15/2013

I would be curious to see the pilot of The Dick Van Dyke Show. I don't remember MTM as ever being anything less than the clear and obvious leading lady of the series and I'm old enough to have watched it from the very beginning.

Perhaps when the show was first written, it centred more around the office. But by the time it premiered, the balance was pretty even, with home life in New Rochelle having a slight edge, as evidenced by the famous opening credits.

Not that I'm dsiputing Rose Marie's jealousy and resentment of MTM. I can also remember that being alluded to in a TV Guide article when the show became a hit.

by Anonymousreply 1402/15/2013

r13, did you ever consider that perhaps Jason Bateman was/is a spoiled and privileged little brat who sees things his own way?

by Anonymousreply 1502/15/2013

When they had the reunion a few years ago, this was discussed (I think by Rose Marie). If you watch the early episodes, MTM still has a decent size role, but she is much more just the straight woman for Dick Van Dyke to play off of, and for Richie to say cute things to. While there were many home scenes, but MTM was more of a supporting character. Sallie probably did have a bigger role (her name precedes MTM in the credits). Somewhere fairly shortly into the series, MTM role became more colorful and she was doing more comedy herself. Fortunately, while her role increased, Richie was seen less and less.

by Anonymousreply 1602/15/2013

Didn't she have a baby?

by Anonymousreply 1702/15/2013

[quote] would be curious to see the pilot of The Dick Van Dyke Show. I don't remember MTM as ever being anything less than the clear and obvious leading lady of the series and I'm old enough to have watched it from the very beginning.

MTM was to be the straight woman. Rose Marie was not upset over this, but Rose Marie was hired and told that she would be the comedy force for the woman. Selma Diamond from Night Court was who Reiner based Sally Rogers on.

Not only did Rose Marie get upstaged by MTM who proved she could do comedy, she was also upstaged by Ann Morgan Guilbert, who as someone else noted, was supposed to be a pretty, young neighbor and that was changed to make Millie funny.

If you recall the episode where Millie and Laura are home alone, it's one of the best of the whole series and barely has Dick Van Dyke in it.

Carl Reiner said the only time MTM was a jerk on the entire series was in the episode where she got stuck (or rather her toe got stuck) in the bathtub. MTM was furious that her character was off screen.

Reiner tried to tell her, it works because millions of men would not see Laura but be visualizing her in their minds, as naked in a tub. Laura's voice was heard throughout the episode indeed, but MTM was a jerk about not being on camera.

MTM said, he was right and later apologized for acting so childish and that was that.

If you watch the show, the first episode is really bad and the next ten episodes the cast is struggling to establish themselves.

Remember Dick Van Dyke was not a well known person either. The inside joke was "What's a Van Dyke." Morey Amsterdam and Rose Marie were better known than anyone else in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 1802/15/2013

Every time I turn on Dick van Dyke, Laura is crying.

by Anonymousreply 1902/15/2013

That's interesting about Jerry Paris recommending Ann for the Millie Helper part. I hadn't heard that before. That kind of explains why Ann showed a picture of Jerry as her late husband on a Nanny episode. Very touching.

Poor Rose Marie having to deal with MTM usurping her status on the show and then having Ann come in and steal her scenes from MTM. Ann was funny.

The original pilot for the DVD show had Carl Reiner as the star. I have seen it and it wasn't good. Reiner was perfect as Allan Brady.

by Anonymousreply 2002/15/2013

Even Joan Shawlee as the rarely seen Pickles was more fun than Rose Marie.

by Anonymousreply 2102/15/2013

Remember her on Hollywood squares?

by Anonymousreply 2202/15/2013

WOW

by Anonymousreply 2302/15/2013

R23's photo is what I imagine many of our more elderly DLers look like.

by Anonymousreply 2402/15/2013

She looks good, still the same damned hairdo!

by Anonymousreply 2502/15/2013

Christ, people--she's 89. So what if she looks like Madonna?

by Anonymousreply 2602/15/2013

Here she is as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 2702/15/2013

[quote]Kathleen Freeman (does anyone remember her??) played another gal pal.

I've seen her on old episodes of "Wagon Train." She must have spent years traveling west on that show.

She had a drama school in L.A. for a few years, too.

by Anonymousreply 2802/15/2013

r6

Thanks for the link. I wonder why they didn't booth Helen O'Connell out for her troublemaking ways.

by Anonymousreply 2902/15/2013

WOW what R23? She's a 90 year old lady after all. She looks perfectly fine. You should wish you look as good at her age.

by Anonymousreply 3002/15/2013

At 87, Dick Van Dyke looks damn good. SAG Awards in January 2013:

by Anonymousreply 3102/15/2013

I've always preferred Naughty Marietta.

by Anonymousreply 3202/15/2013

I think the animosity Rose Marie felt toward MTM is exaggerated. The Dick Van Dyke Show had the reputation of being one of the happiest sets on TV; so did the MTM show. Of course, the prize goes to The Bob Newhart Show. The entire cast went out to dinner every week after taping for the run of the series, and they all stayed friends.

by Anonymousreply 3302/15/2013

"passed around as a party favor"? am I the only one who wants to hear more about that? That image of H'wood - sordid and base - usually gets a bigger response on DL.

by Anonymousreply 3402/15/2013

I don't know about you, but I definitely picked up a "ping" from that kid's weird video.

by Anonymousreply 3502/16/2013

i likes this thready please sir may i have some more

by Anonymousreply 3602/16/2013

Morey Amsterdam had said it was a great joy being on set, one of his best show business experiences. Also, Dick Van Dyke sang lyrics to the show's theme, written by Morey, in a short green room interview on Joy Behar's HLN show. It was such a sweet, nostalgic moment, totally unexpected.

by Anonymousreply 3702/16/2013

Here is Millie at her best...

by Anonymousreply 3802/16/2013

Rose Marie looks pretty damn good for 89 years old.

by Anonymousreply 3902/16/2013

Her mole is running in R23's pic.

by Anonymousreply 4002/16/2013

Kathleen Freeman was one of the best character actresses in the biz. First time I ever saw her was on the old Dom DeLuise sitcom "Lotsa Luck". Dom was a bus driver (I think) who lived with his mom (KF) sister and her mocher husband. I remember liking the show intensely. Must've been early/mid 70's. She was a pro and was Lena Lamont's vocal coach in Singin' In the Rain.

by Anonymousreply 4102/16/2013

Round, pear-shaped tones, R41!

by Anonymousreply 4202/16/2013

For some reason, in that clip of Millie, I kept picturing Meagan on Mad Men doing "Zou Zou Bisou"...

by Anonymousreply 4302/16/2013

No love for Richard Deacon?

Only in the 1950s/60s could he have played 2 convincingly heterosexual men simultaneously on 2 hit sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 4402/16/2013

I recently watched the DVD pilot on Netflix. It was called Head of the Family. Barbara Britton played Laura to Carl Reiner's Rob Petrie. Sylvia Miles played Sally and Morty Gunty played Buddy. None of the actors had chemistry with each other, and the show really lacked charm, although you could tell they were trying. It aired as part of a summer anthology series showing unsuccessful pilots. Don't know how it turned into the DVD show.

I agree that initially the DVD show was lame too. I think the only thing that saved it at first was MTM. She elevated the show with her youth and beauty and warmth. If her sexy, winsome Laura loved and was turned on by DVD's Rob - who IMO was not that appealing either lookswise, actorwise or characterwise - then you felt that he must not be such a ridiculous chump as he appeared at first.

Rose Marie was great as Sally, who was a great character who also helps make DVD's Rob more tolerable. But I don't see how, if the story is true, she could have expected MTM to take a back seat to her. The show is always evenly divided between Rob's work and home lives, which overlap to an absurd but I suppose necessary for sitcom purposes degree.

by Anonymousreply 4502/16/2013

Funny, r44, I hadn't much love for him when I was a kid watching the DVD show. Now I think he's one of the highlights.

by Anonymousreply 4602/16/2013

I love Richard Deacon, too. I read somewhere that Morey Amsterdam especially enjoyed the "Yuck" scene because of how much he liked and respected Deacon. Evidently, unlike the characters he generally played, he was a sweetheart. Everybody adored Carl Reiner. MTM said that while she loved Dick Van Dyke like a brother, she had a crush on Carl Reiner -- and still does. I met Bill Persky, one of the chief writers for DVD who went on to create That Girl and Kate and Allie. Reiner, he said, was the best boss he ever had -- completely supportive, happy to share credit, grateful to all his collaborators, as menschy as they come.

by Anonymousreply 4702/16/2013

I remember reading that another factor that helped the DVD show survive was that a lot of the viewers thought that Rob and Laura reminded them somewhat of JFK and Jackie with the hairstyles and the fashions they both wore on the show.

Kathleen Freeman even showed up in an episode of DL fave, "Mama's Family" as a tough old lady who arm wrestles Thelma in a contest. Funny as hell.

by Anonymousreply 4802/16/2013

The story goes that they had to shoot an episode on the night Kennedy was assassinated. It was the only episode filmed to an empty studio. It is the birthday party chaos episode. I still don't watch that episode. It didn't air until February of the following year.

Happy Birthday and Too Many More

by Anonymousreply 4902/16/2013

Speaking of Richard Deacon. I think he also guess stared on virtually every 50's early 60's sitcom there was.

by Anonymousreply 5002/16/2013

I never cared for Richard Deacon. Then a few years later, along came the also one dimensional Jeffrey Tambor, followed by David Spade, and Andy Dick.

by Anonymousreply 5102/16/2013

*guest*

by Anonymousreply 5202/16/2013

*starred*

by Anonymousreply 5302/16/2013

Thank you

by Anonymousreply 5402/16/2013

Rose Marie still works - her imdb profile is very lengthy and current.

Interestingly, despite her recognition as a comic actress, she never did a guest shot on any of the famous 70s sitcoms produced by MTM - not the MTM Show (or any of its spinoffs), or Newhart, or WKRP, or any of its dramas like Hill Street Blues or St. Elsewhere or Remington Steels (where she would have a decent choice for the Doris Roberts role). MTM Enterprises was THE leading producer of television series in the 70s-80s and just about everybody turned up in a guest spot on one of their many shows.

I wonder if that's because there really was bad blood between RM and MTM...

by Anonymousreply 5502/16/2013

Kathleen Freeman was great as Jeannette, the pianist, in THE FULL MONTY. . .and received a Tony nomination.

by Anonymousreply 5602/16/2013

A great episode the other morning with Patsy Kelly and a very funny Sue Ane Langdon. All about Dick being on jury duty.

Patsy almost steals the whole episode with her line reading of: "I don't even like his show!" with the best shoulder shrug you will ever see.

Dick is at his physical best in this one.

Minimal MTM and RM.

by Anonymousreply 5702/16/2013

Did you know that Rose Marie was one of the very first acts to play in the new pleasure spot called Las Vegas? Interesting article at the link.

I bet she has some very interesting tales to tell and I wonder if she will ever tell them.

by Anonymousreply 5802/17/2013

R41 -- Bitch, please!

by Anonymousreply 5902/17/2013

Anyone remember the last project Deacon was part of, a silly nighttime soap opera in which he played a caftan wearing old queen?

In other words, typecasting!

by Anonymousreply 6002/17/2013

R60 Not typecasting, exactly. More like art imitating life.

by Anonymousreply 6102/17/2013

Rose Marie's took a lot of camera footage of early Las Vegas which has been used in every documentary/history of Las Vegas' growth from a few motels in the desert to the schlockfest it is today.

by Anonymousreply 6202/17/2013

Rose Marie had 8.millimeter films of MTM blowing Carl Reiner that she held over her dead during the DVD show's run. That's why MTM refused to ha vs her on her shows.

by Anonymousreply 6302/17/2013

[quote]I recently watched the DVD pilot on Netflix. It was called Head of the Family. Barbara Britton played Laura to Carl Reiner's Rob Petrie. Sylvia Miles played Sally and Morty Gunty played Buddy.

How did you find that r45? I just searched on Netflix and couldn't turn it up. I'd love to see it.

by Anonymousreply 6402/18/2013

R64, the Head of the Pilot episode is included with the DVD series episodes on Netflix. I had started watching the series at the beginning and the pilot turned up as maybe the 4th or 5th episode in the lineup.

by Anonymousreply 6502/18/2013

Thanks r45. I was searching every anthology every way I could think of except the obvious:) Thanks again.

by Anonymousreply 6602/18/2013

I find MTM grating and hard to watch on The Dick Van Dyke Show. I can't believe how annoying she is.

by Anonymousreply 6702/18/2013

I completely agree, R67. I've never been a fan of Dick van Dyke certainly not on the DVD Show. And MTM was annoying as hell. Like some simpleton always whining. That whole show was annoying - Rose Marie, Alan Brady, Morey Amsterdam. DVD almost completely ruined Mary Poppins for me.

I did like MTM on the MTM show and I thought she was believable in Ordinary People - not great but believable. MTM turned out to be a really odd and vain person - probably a complete narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 6802/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.