Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Comic Book Stores Boycott DC Comics Over Anti-Gay Author

[italic]Wow! That petition must really be working! For NOM to start insinuating that protest is un-American, that's the height of hypocrisy These people are working overtime to deny the rights of millions Americans. And stop with the 'traditional' crap, you cretins. There have been many traditions, and unfortunately for Maggie Gallagher, none of them included cake. Oh, and the Illinois state Senate just passed gay marriage, so Maggie and her team of dofuses are doubly butthurt today.[/italic]

Comic book fans and store owners are boycotting DC Comics after the company tapped anti-gay writer Orson Scott Card to pen a portion of an upcoming “Superman” story.

Richard Neal, owner of Zeus Comics in Dallas, refuses to stock any issues of the new installment of “Adventures of Superman” because Card is outspokenly anti-gay, the Digital Spy reports.

Neal posted his response to DC Comics’ decision on his Facebook page:

Card sits on the board of the National Organization of Marriage which fights against marriage equality. His essays advocate the destruction of my relationship, that I am born of rape or abuse and that I am equated with pedophilia. These themes appear in his fiction as well. It is shocking DC Comics would hire him to write Superman, a character whose ideals represent all of us. If you replaced the word “homosexuals” in his essays with the words “women” or “jews” he would not be hired. But I’m not sure why its still okay to “have an opinion” about gays? This is about equality.

Towleroad notes that San Francisco’s Whatever… comic book store is also keeping the “Superman” issue off its shelves.

“Whatever… will not be carrying the Orson Scott Card issues of Superman when they are released in print,” reads a message posted to Facebook on Tuesday. “We refuse to give money to someone who will then turn around and use that money to fund more anti-gay hatred.”

HuffPost GayVoices previously noted that Card, a Mormon, is an anti-gay advocate who has promoted his ideals about same-sex marriage in writings. He previously was affiliated with the National Organization for Marriage (NOM).

More than 11,000 people have signed AllOut.org’s petition asking for Card to be given the boot, but not everyone approves of a boycott of DC Comics.

NOM President Brian Brown told Fox News he’s dismayed gay rights activists are trying to destroy the novelist’s career.

“This is completely un-American and it needs to be stopped,” Brown said. “Simply because we stand up for traditional marriage, some people feel like it’s okay to target us for intimidation and punishment.”

Brown, who called the attacks against Card “frightening,” doesn’t think the author should be condemned for his view on marriage, according to Fox News. “Marriage is the union of a man and a woman,” he said. “That is not hateful. That is not bigoted.”

DC Comics is also standing by Card.

In a previous statement obtained by the Advocate, a representative for the company said: “As content creators we steadfastly support freedom of expression, however the personal views of individuals associated with DC Comics are just that — personal views — and not those of the company itself.”

by Anonymousreply 2502/15/2013

So who's the hot twink in the picture?

by Anonymousreply 102/14/2013

Orson Card's greatest anti-gay hits:

In 1990, Card argued that “laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books … used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society’s regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society.”

In 2004, he wrote that equal marriage rights for gay people could “strike a death blow against the well-earned protected status of [my], and every other, real marriage” as well as American civilization itself.

In the same essay, Card asserts that “the dark secret of homosexual society — the one that dares not speak its name — is how many homosexuals first entered into that world through a disturbing seduction or rape or molestation or abuse.”

This conflation of homosexuality with rape and sexual abuse would surface again later in 2011 after the republication of Card’s novella Hamlet’s Father, which recast the dead King in Shakespeare’s famous play as a gay pedophile who sexually abused Horatio, Laertes, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern when they were children. Several critics have asserted the book implies those characters become gay as a result of the abuse, although Card disputes that interpretation.

by Anonymousreply 202/14/2013

[quote]If you replaced the word “homosexuals” in his essays with the words “women” or “jews” he would not be hired. But I’m not sure why its still okay to “have an opinion” about gays? This is about equality.

Beautifully stated by Richard Neal. I completely agree. (And would like to reiterate that none of us care about anyone's opinion of us, except when homophobes are allowed to vote on our rights.)

Just as I'm sure Orson Scott Card wouldn't pick up a novel about gay people, I wouldn't read anything written by a seething bigot.

Given the statements made by Orson Scott Card and quoted in R2, that dude is fucking obsessed with homosexuality. He should get some therapy to figure out why he is so terrified of gay people and gay rights and gay sex.

by Anonymousreply 302/14/2013

Hopefully the Ender's Game film flops to send the message. It might anyway, given the first still photo of a drab looking set with Harrison Ford looking like an elderlez.

by Anonymousreply 402/14/2013

I think this is going to be a big moment for gay geeks. Industries that appeal to geeks have tons of gay (and slash-loving females) clients, yet they still assume they need to tailor their product to homophobic fanboys. This might be where they learn who their audiences really are!

Gawd, Card is batshit! He must be closeted, probably to himself.

by Anonymousreply 502/14/2013

Way to be tolerant r6! Are you writing the next Superman book?

by Anonymousreply 702/14/2013

No, just pointing out the obvious & that I'm not sure it's a great business decision for a book store of any type to do, politics be damned. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 802/14/2013

Ok, Whatever Comics is in the Castro. That's probably a good biz decision by them so I have to take back my previous assessment. I was thinking it was in a different neighborhood. The Castro is still very gay despite all the hets that have moved into it. It's a really expensive neighborhood as well & extremely convenient. But other bookstores in SF haven't committed to boycotting, and probably won't.

by Anonymousreply 902/14/2013

R3 Card is a Mormon and a Democrat..... go figure! His Mormonism really has a hold on him when it comes to his view on gays and on marriage. Where the Mormons are different from Roman Catholics is that their hierarchies are both so adamantly against gay marriage and gay rights BUT Catholics are more relaxed on gay rights issues than Mormons are.

by Anonymousreply 1002/14/2013

The American Library Association took a hit after giving an award to Card a few years back. The ALA was all "intellectual freedom, man" but the committee that gave Card the award (for lifetime achievement in writing for young people) admitted they simply were not aware of his antigay activities. I wonder if DC was also taken unawares.

by Anonymousreply 1102/14/2013

Card used to be very very leftwing, but like others (like Mamet, etc) has taken a right turn as he got older.

by Anonymousreply 1202/14/2013

[quote]The superhero movies are all attended by the right

You are such an idiot. It's a left-wing industry. DC pushed anti-gun stories a couple of years ago. The geek community is left wing. They are pro-gay. Video games have gay characters, and gay sex. Boys even play as female characters. The gay wedding invitations ran out in two seconds in comic book stores around the country. The Kevin Keller character is so popular, he has his own hit comic book series.

If you don't understand the subject, don't post, jackass!

by Anonymousreply 1302/14/2013

The boycott will not greatly economically hurt DC Comics or Card (nor will not selling just this one comic book do much to hurt independent comic stores either--r6 is full of horseshit). But if it continues to gather force it will publicly embarrass DC enormously, and they'll take notice, and not hire this asshole again.

I encourage everyone to boycott this issue and to make your displeasure know to comics shops and DC Comics and to the press. If DC is embarrassed publicly and gets bad press, they won't repeat the same mistake.

by Anonymousreply 1402/14/2013

If anything, it's going to hurt Card in the future. All his bullshit over the last 20 years is coming to light, and now that NOM is backing him up, that's a death sentence. He probably already wrote the issue, so DC doesn't want to ditch it and lose money.

by Anonymousreply 1502/14/2013

r13 - um, I'm in a part of that industry. The movies are all right centered to get the middle and south of America into the seats.

The fandom might be leftwing, but the movies are not.

by Anonymousreply 1602/14/2013

Card is a sad, pathetic human being who is a deeply closeted and self-loathing gay man. It's obvious he is gay and hates himself.

by Anonymousreply 1702/15/2013

"You are such an idiot. It's a left-wing industry. DC pushed anti-gun stories a couple of years ago. The geek community is left wing."

SOME of the geek community is leftwing. Sure the people buying the DC comics that have those stories are more left than mainstream America, but don't discount all the comics out there.

"They are pro-gay. Video games have gay characters, and gay sex. Boys even play as female characters. "

Like Zelda for instance, but there's no "gay sex" in most video games doll. Those games get a different rating and play to a much smaller audience. If you're talking about CoD or something, you're wayyyy off the mark & that game is popular.

The ONLY game with a real character was Gay Tony in the GTA series that I had heard about, I'm sure there's others but outside of Gay Tony it's pretty much nil.

Even if straight guys are not 'phobes they do not want to play gay characters for the most part.

"The gay wedding invitations ran out in two seconds in comic book stores around the country. The Kevin Keller character is so popular, he has his own hit comic book series.

If you don't understand the subject, don't post, jackass!"

I'm sorry, you're talking about Archie here? That comic was almost only available online, and most of the audience was not 8 year old girls of straight people buying it. There were threads here & it was a lot of gays, women and teen fangurls. Not a lot of boys/men & boys & men don't usually read Archie.

Talk about talking out of your asshole doll.

by Anonymousreply 1802/15/2013

First Jaime Reyes and now THIS!!!

by Anonymousreply 1902/15/2013

He looks pretty hot. Why boycott him?

by Anonymousreply 2002/15/2013

r18, stop embarrassing yourself. I was referring to X-Men and new video games. You have no clue what you're discussing, so just stop. I'm a member of just about every major comic book/nerd community out there. Sad I know. We're overwhelmingly accepted by them. The only place there's still trouble is XBOX live gaming with 14 year old boys who like goofing on people, and calling everyone a 'fag.' This is why the gay geek community came into existence, and now has their own convention, and are on the floor of Comic Con. You should check it out, if you're interested.

by Anonymousreply 2102/15/2013

[quote]The movies are all right centered to get the middle and south of America into the seats

The industry behind them is left-wing. Secondly, what Right-wing rubbish do they put into them? Nothing. The Right in America worked overtime to make the Nolan films into some sort of Right-wing love-fest. It was a bunch of baloney. You have to remember that this was an industry still attached to the Comic Code Authority only a couple of years ago. Batwoman is a Jewish lesbian. The industry has progressed at record speed, and the audience has had no issue with it. Most of the people are liberal college kids.

by Anonymousreply 2202/15/2013

The one worst than card is Chuck Dixon.

by Anonymousreply 2302/15/2013

A smallish boycott and some stores refusing to carry the issue may not be a big hit for DC. If it gets some publicity and widens, it will make a difference.

If they appreciate my fine ass at all, they'll put a stop to any bad publicity around "Superman".

by Anonymousreply 2402/15/2013

[quote]The ONLY game with a real character was Gay Tony in the GTA series that I had heard about, I'm sure there's others but outside of Gay Tony it's pretty much nil.

The Mass Effect and Dragon Age series by Canadian video game studio BioWare, the Fable series by British studio Lionhead, and the Sims games by Electronic Arts all allow the player to determine his/her character's orientation.

by Anonymousreply 2502/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.