Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is it OK to Call Bi-Racial (Half Black) People "Mulatto"?

Bel Ami have a model on its site the owner called "mulatto" in response to upset racist fans who only want to see white boys. I have always thought calling a bi-racial person 'mulatto' was akin to calling a black person a 'golliwog' or 'nappy'.

Is this term still used in the US? Link NSFW.

by Anonymousreply 11611/24/2013

Three friends of mine are bi-racial (one white parent, one black parent) and they all call themselves "mulatto," but I (a white person) would not feel comfortable using that word to describe them myself.

by Anonymousreply 102/14/2013

The term 'mulatto' is a very outdated, outmoded, old-fashioned term in the U.S.

No, people should not call other people 'mulattos' in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 202/14/2013

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 402/14/2013

In my household we call bi-racial ladies half-caste women.

by Anonymousreply 502/14/2013

The preferred term is "octaroon."

by Anonymousreply 602/14/2013

Just don't call them "high yellow."

by Anonymousreply 702/14/2013

R7 = Constantine

by Anonymousreply 802/14/2013

He's cute whatever he is.

by Anonymousreply 902/14/2013

Trying too hard. Just say biracial, multiracial, or mixed, and call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 1002/14/2013

Mulatto = one parent was of African origin. Quadroon = one grandparent was of African origin. Octoroon = one great grandparent was of African origin. So no, mulatto and octoroon are not synonyms. I do not know if these classifications were strictly followed, such as an instance where three great grandparents were of African origin. But then, back in the day,even one drop of African blood was enough to make you Negro.

by Anonymousreply 1202/14/2013

Half-Breed.. is the better vocab OP

Try it on them

by Anonymousreply 1302/14/2013

It's MOOLATTE.

by Anonymousreply 1402/14/2013

I am biracial & no OP- just no. Mixed race or biracial is fine. Please look up the origin of the word 'mulatto'. Oy, Americans...

by Anonymousreply 1502/14/2013

Laughing at "mulatto." Good gracious.

by Anonymousreply 1602/14/2013

I have a Mexican mother and an African American father. I was never raised as "bi-racial." I was raised that all African Americans are "mixed" and that I am a Black man mixed with Mexican, Native American and African American. I am good with that.

I never had any problems growing up. My mother stressed certain customs and foods & traditions, but we also knew our Black History, culture, foods & traditions, and grew to have an appreciation for the cultural and ethnic diversity in our community. We grew up in Texas but moved to the Chicago area. No problems. I'm in my late 30's.

I think what's important is that you are raised in an ethnically diverse community, and are raised to appreciate and get along with different cultures.

I think our President is a good example. He identifies as a Black Man. He honors his mother & his grandparents, but he does not reject his African American identity to do it.

Neither does he reject his mother & grandparents to be who he is. He honors all the things that make him Barack Obama. I love that about him.

This is a very long answer to say, no you don't use the word "mulato" unless youre reading a bodice-ripper novel from the 50's about plantation slaves getting raped by Massa. And the "bi-racial" or "mixed" is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1802/14/2013

[18] Not all half black people should have to call themselves just black. Your own personal decision is just that.

by Anonymousreply 1902/14/2013

R15 here and no the bi-racial "thing" is not bullshit. Why should I deny any part of myself to make to easier to accept for someone else? I was raised by my white Dad and Black mom and I honour both of them. My Dad's heritage is of no less importance than my Mom's. Americans are so fucked up in how they view race.

by Anonymousreply 2002/14/2013

In the early 1980s there was a punk rock band in San Francisco called "Tragic Mulatto".

by Anonymousreply 2102/14/2013

Make time for this

by Anonymousreply 2202/14/2013

I believe George Jefferson used the term "zebra"?

by Anonymousreply 2302/14/2013

Getting back to the OP, I don't think it's too big a deal as English is not the writer's first language. So expecting him to know the nuances of particular racial terms (which are different in UK & US English anyway) seems a bit unfair when he clearly didn't mean any offense.

And some people are criticising BelAmi for having no black models? Have they been to the Czech Republic? There aren't any black people there!

by Anonymousreply 2402/14/2013

There are a lot of words that have fallen into disuse, and that's not an indication that there is anything wrong with them. Mulatto isn't used much anymore because people don't converse about black people being part white (except in the case of Obama). They are just referred to as black. It's more a change in perception than language.

by Anonymousreply 2602/14/2013

Posters like R25 always manage to fuck up a thread with their thinly veiled bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 2702/14/2013

THAT'S NOT FUNNY!!!

by Anonymousreply 2802/14/2013

I'm a Southerner, and I had never heard the terms "mulatto", "quadroon", and "octoroon" until I read them in the "Mandingo" books. I no longer believe there is such a thing as "race", and that we are all just human, so I consider all these terms to be racist, but the two most racist terms are "black" and "white". If anyone is going to talk about skin color, then the pigment in human skin is melanin, and melanin is brown, sometimes a little reddish, but never black or white.

by Anonymousreply 2902/14/2013

Accd to Michael Fairman, Roger is returning to OLTL for 4 weeks and then going back to GH but there is no information as to how the shows are going to share him, or who has creative control.

PP is going to tape OLTL for a period of time and then go black. People think RH will be able to tape all his episodes in those 4 weeks since the show can tape 4 episodes a day. It's probable that RH is going to GH to crossover and then return back to OLTL when they have another set of story for him. That way they share and PP gets promo by RH's crossover.

I wouldn't be expecting RC to dictate story on Todd since PP owns the character. If he's going to OLTL they are going to create a story there for him and he'll return to GH to continue story. I'm guessing he'll go back and forth, especially since his home is based in the East Coast. He gets press/publicity for being on two shows. The guy wins out in the end.

I'm guessing PP will work out a similar deal for ME and KA. Although I could see both only do brief stints on OLTL, return to GH and mostly stay there. ME fits so much better on GH. RH fits much better on OLTL but can be comic relief and useful on GH. As long as he doesn't get stuck in a deadly dull story on GH with Carly.

RC needs to focus on all the supposed returns beginning next month (Scotty, his daughter, Helena, Nik, Jerry, etc).

by Anonymousreply 3002/14/2013

Zebra

by Anonymousreply 3102/14/2013

Just call them friend!

by Anonymousreply 3202/14/2013

Sorry, wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 3302/14/2013

OP, the term is not taboo everywhere. Everywhere is not America. Just saying. Certain places have different histories.

by Anonymousreply 3502/14/2013

Doesn't mulatto mean a mule - half horse, half donkey?

by Anonymousreply 3602/14/2013

Is "mulatto" less offensive than "zebra"?

by Anonymousreply 3702/14/2013

This thread is hilarious. Like a parody thread. Quoting George Jefferson is classic.

by Anonymousreply 3802/14/2013

Half-caste

cross-breed

by Anonymousreply 3902/14/2013

Red Bone

High yella

by Anonymousreply 4002/14/2013

[quote]And some people are criticising BelAmi for having no black models? Have they been to the Czech Republic? There aren't any black people there!

What's Sean Cody and Corbin Fisher's excuse?

by Anonymousreply 4102/14/2013

What's Dink Flamingo's excuse? Watch his vids and you'd think we have an all-white military.

by Anonymousreply 4202/14/2013

If they're ladies they can be called ...

by Anonymousreply 4302/14/2013

In Canada we say mixed race.

If there must be a term, this is the best, no ?

So many mixes to choose from.

My BF calls himself Blaxican to me, but don't try this at home, Americans.

He calls me wop ass. Doesn't call my dad that.

Once there is respect, we can all be free.

by Anonymousreply 4402/14/2013

Has the Blatino husbear weighed in?

by Anonymousreply 4502/14/2013

Once there is respect, we can all be free. Love you R44

by Anonymousreply 4602/14/2013

Love back to r46 @Biracial girl.

by Anonymousreply 4702/14/2013

Let use this thread to post pics of hot biracial dudes!

by Anonymousreply 4802/14/2013

All black Americans have some white lineage. Michelle Obama is descended from a white slave owner. So technically, there are no black people in America if we were to start calling people mixed no matter what they look like on the outside. Also, a lot of white Americans, especially in the South, have African blood.

by Anonymousreply 4902/14/2013

I am mulatto and I prefer people call me mulatto because saying mixed race or bi-racial could mean I'm mexican/japanese or cree/pakistani. My dad is black (dominican), my mom is white (irish) and I have great hair. I'm mulatto and proud of it :)

Mulatto doesn't come from the english word mule, by the way..... it comes from the latin word mulé, which means mixed.

by Anonymousreply 5002/14/2013

ehh. what about the Black people who came from Africa on the slave ships, do they have white lineage?.. I think not

by Anonymousreply 5102/14/2013

In the early 1900s, many New Orleans folks of mixed race/black chose to cross the color lines to get jobs, join better unions. Therefore, many "whites" from New Orleans likely have some African American lineage.

My grandfather and grandmother chose to cross the color line and kept it a secret until just before death. It was not an easy thing for them to do.

by Anonymousreply 5202/14/2013

In American speak...

When some one asks you "where you are from," what they usually mean is - why are you here ?

What is your point r49?

Do you want to boil down the blood or just talk about what "they look like on the outside."

Be careful.

by Anonymousreply 5302/14/2013

both sides were against me since the day I was born.

by Anonymousreply 5402/14/2013

[quote]So technically, there are no black people in America if we were to start calling people mixed no matter what they look like on the outside. Also, a lot of white Americans, especially in the South, have African blood.

Oh, please! You know there's a big difference between someone being 2 or 3 percent of something and someone who's around 50% of something.

by Anonymousreply 5502/15/2013

These words are part of history, so it is good that people remember them. But they all originate in the practice of race discrimination (why else would you care what percentage white or black a person is?). For that reason I think they are too tainted to be applied to a living person.

by Anonymousreply 5602/15/2013

I'm biracial and although "mulatto" doesn't bother me, I do think it sounds outdated and cheesy, like someone trying to be clever.

In any case, you can call me whatever the fuck you want because it doesn't change the facts: I'm half white and half black.

by Anonymousreply 5702/15/2013

You should call him Mr. President

by Anonymousreply 5902/15/2013

R58 = Jealous of mixed people

by Anonymousreply 6002/15/2013

R50 it comes from the Latin word mulus, which means mule.

by Anonymousreply 6102/15/2013

I'm mixed race and I think mulatto is something we may say to fellow mixed race people. In other words, it's something we say among ourselves. So to be on the safe side, don't use that word, at least not here in the states. You can say something like Afro-Caucasian.

by Anonymousreply 6202/15/2013

[quote] . I no longer believe there is such a thing as "race", and that we are all just human

Oh, honey, how nice is it, living up in the clouds?

by Anonymousreply 6302/15/2013

Well, he/she is not inaccurate.

by Anonymousreply 6402/15/2013

Why is this goddamned fucking race-baiting troll STILL allowed on the DL?

Seriously - is the DL's technology stuck somewhere in the dark ages? It seems to have no problem banning some people, why is it unable to handle this problem?

Why is this person (and her Klan/Nazi friends) not banned permanently from the DL?

WHY?

by Anonymousreply 6502/15/2013

Very true, R52. I have a great uncle who moved to NYC and lived as a white man. I was told that he got married and had children. I've never met him; I've only seen him in pictures.

by Anonymousreply 6602/15/2013

Without having read any responses beforehand, I have to ask why you are even bringing this up, OP.

I co-exist with others in 2013, not 1963, nor, to give you the benefit of the doubt, 1973. Why are you asking a question outmoded by about four decades if not to foment trouble?

by Anonymousreply 6702/15/2013

Let's see Tiger Woods is half Asian and half black and is called African American

Obama is half black and half white and is called, African American.

So I guess that means if you have even a tiny bit of African blood you're African American.

by Anonymousreply 6802/15/2013

A mulatto

An albino

A mosquito

My libido

Yay!

by Anonymousreply 6902/15/2013

We have just witnessed the most torturous route to discovering selective racism and cuntiness among the white trash brethren as witnessed at R68.

Complicated by its/their inbred stupidity that led it to falling into this trap.

We always knew you were there, but thought you were too stupid to breathe so loud! FFS.

by Anonymousreply 7002/15/2013

He isn't even bright enough to know that African American is an ethnicity that refers to a very specific group of people. People on this board are obsessed with "race." And I mean OBSESSED with race! I guess it's a reflection of the gay "community."

by Anonymousreply 7102/15/2013

call them "zebra"

by Anonymousreply 7202/15/2013

r19

Just so you know if you want to quote a post in full simply write

the letter "R" (without quotes) and the post number.

With no spaces between

So it would be "R 19"

But without the quotes and no space between the "R" and the "19"

by Anonymousreply 7302/15/2013

Unless you were born in Africa and are now an Ameican citizen, you're not African-American.

by Anonymousreply 7402/15/2013

So no Bel Ami's fans don't just hate gay men they also hate black men.

by Anonymousreply 7502/15/2013

What was that term the senator used on camera to describe someone in the audience? It was a Creole term or something.

by Anonymousreply 7602/15/2013

Macaca. George Allen used it.

by Anonymousreply 7702/15/2013

[quote]Mulatto doesn't come from the english word mule, by the way..... it comes from the latin word mulé, which means mixed.

This is incorrect. You're thinking of mestizo (or mestiço in Portuguese, or métis in French) which comes from the Medieval Latin mixticĭus, from Latin mixtus.

In Canada Métis refers to a specific ethnic identity, people descended from both Native (mostly Cree) and French ancestors.

Mulatto (mulato in Spanish and Portuguese) is indeed derived from mulo (Latin mulus), meaning mule.

by Anonymousreply 7802/15/2013

[quote]I'm a Southerner, and I had never heard the terms "mulatto", "quadroon", and "octoroon"

Quadroon (cuarterón) and octoroon are more a Louisiana thing. Under the Spanish administration (Louisiana was a Spanish possession far longer than it belonged to the French), race was more complicated than "one drop = black", and that legacy persists.

by Anonymousreply 7902/15/2013

OP, is it ok to call black people "Negro"?

by Anonymousreply 8002/15/2013

[quote]the two most racist terms are "black" and "white". If anyone is going to talk about skin color, then the pigment in human skin is melanin, and melanin is brown, sometimes a little reddish, but never black or white.

In the spirit of celebrating diversity, I'd like to thank you for representing the autistic point of view.

by Anonymousreply 8102/15/2013

When someone is half white and Asian or Hispanic, they usually (not always) look white and are therefore considered white. There is no movement for calling these type of biracial people "mixed" because in some of them, you wouldn't know unless they told you. If someone is half white and Indian or Arab they look no different from other white Americans. Keanu Reeves, Andre Agassi, Steve Jobs, Shannon Elizabeth, Kathy Najimy, Jerry Seinfeld, Yasmeen Bleeth ... so many.

However, if someone is half black and white or any other race, they usually (again, not always) look black and, like the President, either identify as black or, like Tiger Woods, are called black because they look it even though they don't want to. Why only controversy about this sort of biracials and not white mixed with others? Because anything black is seen as a negative by some that they want to get away from. Usually, its the black part they have a problem with. The type that are ashamed of their black side are easy to identify, usually seek out white partners hope for white looking offspring or get offended when they are called black on the basis of their physical appearance.

Truth is none of this really matters. A person's race is dependent on their physical traits. If you look black, you are black. If you look white you are white. Mariah Carey calling herself black is as ridiculous as Elizabeth Warren claiming to be Native American. Equally, Tiger Woods wasn't as big a deal for Asians as Jeremy Lin because they know he'll never be seen as Asian no matter who his mother is.

by Anonymousreply 8202/16/2013

[quote]Truth is none of this really matters. A person's race is dependent on their physical traits. If you look black, you are black. If you look white you are white. Mariah Carey calling herself black is as ridiculous as Elizabeth Warren claiming to be Native American.

You're a fucking idiot, you know that?

by Anonymousreply 8302/16/2013

If you have been mugged by a tall, blond, blue-eyed Asian woman, about 35, it is important to include these details in your report to the police.

Otherwise you are not at a carnival. Don't guess peoples' weight, age or ethnicity.

If you don't know someone well enough to ask their heritage, then don't assume you know. Your brain will file it in it's own language.

by Anonymousreply 8402/16/2013

Look at this menu, under SWEETS:

by Anonymousreply 8502/27/2013

Wasn't George Jefferson always going on about the neighbors' "zebra" children, because they were mixed?

by Anonymousreply 8602/27/2013

OP, do you also miss the term "Negro"? Was it was more respectful somehow?

Have you EVER, outside of a FoxNews chatroom, perhaps, heard anyone call President Obama, for example, "Mulatto"?

by Anonymousreply 8702/27/2013

OP = Ruby Romaine

by Anonymousreply 8802/27/2013

R87, I use (and am) mulatto. What word do you use to describe someone with one black parent and one white parent?

by Anonymousreply 8908/16/2013

From 30 Rock:

Rosemary: I have an idea. We open on a New Orleans abortion clinic. A beautiful mulatto --

Liz: Uh, I don't think we're allowed to use any of those words.

by Anonymousreply 9008/16/2013

it's biracial or mixed-race. If someone calls me mulatto they are going to be set straight. 2013 people. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 9108/16/2013

disagree, R91. Mulatto comes from a latin word, which is why I accept it. If you call me biracial or mixed-race, that could easily mean mexican-japanese or native-pakistani. My heritage is epcifically black and white, and mulatto is the word I feel best describes that.

by Anonymousreply 9208/16/2013

Mulatto describes them best as does black. Mulattos look like light skin black people who already have white ancestry down the line. Mulattos are blackity black black black. Don't come back to us when Whites reject you.

by Anonymousreply 9308/16/2013

yes and then get your teeth knocked out by the said mulatto

by Anonymousreply 9408/16/2013

I'ng NO a Mesican!

by Anonymousreply 9508/16/2013

mixed-race

by Anonymousreply 9608/16/2013

It is technically not offensive (it was never a slur), but it is very dated, much like the word "Negro". It's gross to categorize people according to how much black blood they have in them; "mulatto" actually means a person who is "half white/half black". Related terms existed such as quadroon for 1/4 black, octoroon for 1/8 black, etc. That is why "mulatto" is now considered offensive, because it attempts to categorize people according to bloodlines and their "degree of blackness"; it's also misused as a catch-all for anyone with a mixture of European and sub-Sahara African ancestry, regardless of ratio. The proper terms today for all people of mixed race is "mixed race" or "multiracial" regardless of what races or how much of each.

by Anonymousreply 9708/16/2013

R89/92, curious where you live, where you are from and how old you are. I have never met an African American who used or accepted the term "mulatto".

by Anonymousreply 9808/16/2013

R99, I'm Canadian, age 33. Maybe things are different up here? No-one who is black in Canada would ever use african-american or african canadian unless they had a parent from africa. My dad is from Dominica.

by Anonymousreply 9908/16/2013

If you're a third black, a third milk and a third foam you're a cappuccino

by Anonymousreply 10111/22/2013

Too lazy to google, R12, but in Louisiana you are considered colored if you are at least 1/32nd black. I am talking about today.

by Anonymousreply 10211/22/2013

"Mulatto" can only be used prefixed by "tragic".

Bi-racial is where it's at.

by Anonymousreply 10311/22/2013

As a biracial person, I've never called any biracial family or friends mulatto. We tend to say "mixed" when we're being casual.

by Anonymousreply 10411/22/2013

"Pardon me, but is your daughter a mulatto?"

by Anonymousreply 10511/22/2013

'Mulatto' is the same as 'biracial'.

'People of color' is the same as 'colored'.

One term is just more PC than the other. They mean the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 10611/22/2013

Where does the quadroon fit in?

by Anonymousreply 10711/22/2013

mulatto is NOT the same as biracial. I am MULATTO. My dad is black and my mom is white. If you call me mixed race, that could mean mexican/japanese or pakistani/native american.

by Anonymousreply 10811/22/2013

So why aren't people with one Asian parent and one white parent called "biracial"? Why is Freddy Prinze Jr called white when he has one mexican parent? Does this only apply to black mixed with white? Is r82 right in thinking people only have a problem with the black part?

And what do you do about the Barack Obamas, Malcolm Xs, Bob Marleys, Halle Berrys, Drakes and Alicia Keys who identify as black despite having one white parent? These people know they would be referred to as such if someone saw them on the street, but they're not really different from other black Americans because ALL American blacks not directly from Africa have white in them: all black Americans are "mixed".

by Anonymousreply 10911/22/2013

Everyone is what they call themselves. R108 is mulatto (good luck getting people to call you that); Obama is black; Tiger Woods is cablinasian; people in the UK are mixed. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 11011/22/2013

[quote]These people know they would be referred to as such if someone saw them on the street, but they're not really different from other black Americans because ALL American blacks not directly from Africa have white in them: all black Americans are "mixed".

But lets get real - there's a big difference between having 4-5 percent white in you and having at least 50% white in you, regardless of appearance.

by Anonymousreply 11111/22/2013

The percentage isn't that small r113. Many black Americans have at least 30% white DNA. At least Obama has a pure African father.

by Anonymousreply 11211/22/2013

R114 Calm down, it's not that serious.

by Anonymousreply 11311/22/2013

Again, does "biracial" and "mixed" only apply to those with one black parent? And does it mean it's the black they have a problem with? Why is it that white-appearing people with a white parent mixed with native, hispanic, Asian, East Indian or Arab are for all intents and purposes "white" and not biracial?

by Anonymousreply 11411/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.