Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Chuck Hagel nomination hits a wall

"My Republican colleagues had led us to believe they would not filibuster Senator Chuck Hagel's confirmation as Secretary of Defense,” Reid (D-NV) said in a statement released by his office. “But that has changed. Now, Senate Republicans have made it clear they intend to mount a full-scale filibuster, and block the Senate from holding a final passage vote on Senator Hagel's nomination. Make no mistake: Republicans are trying to defeat Senator Hagel's nomination by filibustering while submitting extraneous requests that will never be satisfied."

by Anonymousreply 2102/14/2013

Wonder why? He's certainly qualified. Is it that he's not a warmonger? He'd probably save the USA trillions of dollars.

by Anonymousreply 102/14/2013

They will never survive if they pull such a stunt.

by Anonymousreply 202/14/2013

I watched it, and found the questions to be absolutely off the wall and ridiculous. R3. Hagel was broadsided by the train wreck of crazies.

by Anonymousreply 402/14/2013

Rachel Maddow had a pretty funny segment last night on the GOP stalling Hagel's confirmation. They don't want to call it a filibuster, but that's exactly what they're doing.

They are drinking water, but they're not calling it drinking water. It's called "hydrating." They're hydrating themselves.

by Anonymousreply 502/14/2013

The Repugs now want to know what Obama was doing during the Benghazi attack. And that's one of the primary reasons they're delaying Hagel--even though he had nothing to do with what Obama was doing.

by Anonymousreply 602/14/2013

The Repugs also want five years of tax returns from Hagel. But the Repugs were perfectly satisfied with Mitt Romney only releasing one--and then begrudgingly releasing two years of tax returns to run for president.

by Anonymousreply 702/14/2013

I'm torn. He did come across as a doddering senior at the hearings, but this latest stunt is only about nastiness, vitriol and sticking to Obama anyway the can - not anything to do as to whether or not the guy is qualified.

Even though I think Obama could do better than this guy, after the Susan Rice debacle I want him to stick to his guns even if that means waiting out McCain and Princess Graham.

by Anonymousreply 802/14/2013

I'm sure Obama set up the Benghazi attack, he was probably over there doing underground meetings with the enemy.

by Anonymousreply 902/14/2013

I think John Kerry makes a vastly better Secretary of State than Susan Rice would have.

In terms of knowledge, experience, and expertise, John Kerry's is vastly superior to Susan Rice.

John Kerry served on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for 25 years and served as chairman of that committee, along with serving in the U.S. Senate for 27 years.

by Anonymousreply 1002/14/2013

I really like Chuck Hagel, but I agree that his performance at the senate hearing for his nomination was dismal and a train wreck.

His intellect and energy seemed lacking.

Obama apparently wants Hagel as Secretary of Defense because Hagel has independent thinking and does not always follow the mainstream thinking along with Hagel not supporting the U.S. becoming involved in unnecessary wars.

by Anonymousreply 1102/14/2013

We already know what Obama was doing during the Benghazi attacks -- campaigning.

Republicans just want someone to admit it.

by Anonymousreply 1202/14/2013

Maybe he was in a classroom full of children reading them My Pet Goat.

by Anonymousreply 1402/14/2013

R14, U.S. embassies and consulates get attacked fairly often - in fact, twelve or thirteen embassies and consulates were attacked during the GW Bush administration.

Only twice did massive high rise office buildings in New York City get attacked with close to 3000 deaths. (1996 and 2001)

by Anonymousreply 1502/14/2013

...and?

by Anonymousreply 1602/14/2013

This is about Hagel not kissing Israel's ass. So basically what Hagel got in trouble for saying, that there is a Jewish lobby with inordinate influence, is proving to be true via his own confirmation process.

by Anonymousreply 1702/14/2013

We don't need to be sucking Israel's cock anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1802/14/2013

R17. Hagel NOT kissing Israel's ass is the main reason I want Hagel confirmed as secretary of defense.

by Anonymousreply 1902/14/2013

I agree, R19, and its the main reason he's being branded as "controversial" by the GOP and the media.

by Anonymousreply 2002/14/2013

Agreed, R19. That, plus the fact that anyone who McCain or Graham dislike has got to be worth supporting.

by Anonymousreply 2102/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.