Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I loathe Valentine's Day

I have a boyfriend and I love him. I just hate all this bullshit on VD about buying flowers and candy and sending stupid cards. I was going through my facebook feed today and nearly felt ill at all the couples declaring their undying love for one another, particularly the ones I know are cheating on each other and fight all the time. It's just seems so fake. More than Christmas or Easter. It has no value or message other than mass hysteria and consumerism. I love spoiling my boyfriend, I just don't like being told and how to do it.

by Anonymousreply 3602/14/2013

You'll pay for that. We know where you live.

by Anonymousreply 102/14/2013

I agree OP. Too much hype and the price of flowers, which will fall apart within two days, is hiked up dramatically. I'd rather my bf did little romantic things all year for me. I especially hate the women that have a fit if their husband/bf doesn't send roses to her at work so all the girls can see how much he "loves" her. It's all for show and to one up each other.

by Anonymousreply 202/14/2013

I guess I need to get out more. The only signs of Valentine's day I have seen so far are the pink frosted heart shaped cookies someone at work brought in.

by Anonymousreply 302/14/2013

I'm not even 30 yet, but I keep waiting for all of my friends to not to act like 13 year olds about it- in any capacity. The conventions of it seemed too juvenile by the time I graduated from high school.

But I've never been big on any holiday traditions, so of course I feel this way about V. Day. I'm another one who likes to buy and give gifts at random, if I see something that a loved one would like to have.

by Anonymousreply 402/14/2013

Of course it is a consumer manufactured "holiday".

by Anonymousreply 502/14/2013

Um, men don't like flowers.

by Anonymousreply 602/14/2013

Some do R6.

by Anonymousreply 702/14/2013

I adore flowers. Not those gawd-awful florist delivery arrangements though. A few bunches from the street vendor will do. NO CARNATIONS!

by Anonymousreply 802/14/2013

So don't participate. People who rant and rave about holidays always strike me as as twisted. It's just not that serious.

by Anonymousreply 902/14/2013

Walmart has all valentine merchandise at 50% off, OP. Hurry!

by Anonymousreply 1002/14/2013

walmart is not an option, EVER.

by Anonymousreply 1102/14/2013

Valentine's Day is for 14 year old girls. I skip all the Hallmark crap, dinner out, candy, etc and make a donation to the animal shelter.

by Anonymousreply 1202/14/2013

My ex-sister-in-law is seeking advice on Facebook for a VD present for my nephew (11). People are suggesting gifts that would make sense for Christmas or his birthday. So now kids get three paydays a year?

America takes holidays and relentlessly turns them into shopping extravaganzas. Who would have thought it could get worse?

by Anonymousreply 1302/14/2013

[quote] So don't participate. People who rant and rave about holidays always strike me as as twisted. It's just not that serious.

Agreed. Ignore it, if you like. Or make some small acknowledgement, "Happy Valentine's Day... I thought we might order in Chinese food and watch a film?"

There's no reason that adults have to play along --let alone compete with-- the expectations of others as to how to celebrate holidays, whatever the degree of "real" or "fabricated."

by Anonymousreply 1402/14/2013

I love Valentine's Day. It is such pretty holiday. However, my partner and I don't get commercial. We make valentines for each other. They aren't anything special, except to us. No trips to Michael's are involved. We do buy flowers, but as someone up thread posted, nothing special (and I agree- no carnations!). We have a running gag that we buy each other socks on Valentine's Day (no, I will not explain.)

by Anonymousreply 1502/14/2013

It's half over. If I can avoid the usual shit on all the local newscasts about where to go, what not to buy the wife or girlfriend, how men hate VD, etc, etc, I will be allright. Even when I was partnered up we never really got into it. He brought me flowers at least once a week just because. And always had a hot meal waiting for me when I finished my shift at work. He helped with the housework and laundry. He took good care of our pets and had a green thumb so our apartment always looked cozy and inviting. We had a great sex life that wasn't dependent on whether or not we bought each other trinkets.The day to day living with someone I was madly in love with is what I miss. Not this cockamamie manufactured holiday.

by Anonymousreply 1602/14/2013

I appreciate the gesture of a card or flowers, and I reciprocate in kind. This is in addition to the other lovely gestures we afford each other throughout the year. It's not taxing, or otherwise that big of deal.

by Anonymousreply 1702/14/2013

[quote]Valentine's Day is for 14 year old girls. I skip all the Hallmark crap, dinner out, candy, etc and make a donation to the animal shelter.

That's awesome—I do the same thing for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 1802/14/2013

Do you have a single gay twin brother, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1902/14/2013

People have been brain-washed into thinking they have to get something or give something on this made-up holiday or they aren't worthy.

by Anonymousreply 2002/14/2013

I hate bouquets of roses. They start to die the next day, dropping aarkly blemished petals all over the table. Blech. Gerber daisies are better.

by Anonymousreply 2102/14/2013

[quote] It has no value or message other than mass hysteria

You're the hysterical one. I don't know any long term couple who pay attention to V day. A card and maybe a small box of chocolates. Big fucking deal.

V day is for newly minted couples. It's still exciting to them. They'll outgrow it.

by Anonymousreply 2202/14/2013

The only people I give gifts to on Valentine's Day are my family. Makes things simple.

by Anonymousreply 2302/14/2013

Why do you give gifts to your family, r23? It's a holiday for lovers.

by Anonymousreply 2402/14/2013

Its a known fact that taking that special someone out to dinner for Valentine's Day (and Mothers Day as well) is asking for trouble.

Restaurants jack up prices and offer very unspecial specials today. Stay home tonight and wait for tomorrow or Saturday night.

by Anonymousreply 2502/14/2013

I think of it as being a day for platonic or familial love as well, r24. Take it up with my mother. She started it.

by Anonymousreply 2602/14/2013

I'm with R9 and R14. There are plenty of issues worthy of outrage without something as superficial as this. My guy and I are going out for fish and chips tomorrow night for our Valentine's dinner, but in truth, we would have gone out whether it was a "holiday" or not.

I do think a relationship needs a spark now and then to keep it interesting. If it buys into the commercial overload, so be it. I also bought a bottle of strawberry lube.

by Anonymousreply 2802/14/2013

I was at my local Shop Rite store early this morning and they have tables and tables of cellophane wrapped flowers scattered all over the place. They are flying off the tables by hordes of people who are buying just the flowers.

The fast lane was jammed with people holding just that one purchase. They were opening a couple more lanes when I left. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 2902/14/2013

[quote]I have a boyfriend and I love him. I just hate all this bullshit on VD about buying flowers and candy and sending stupid cards.

Maybe because that shit is for girls.

Straight guys don't give a shit about that crap, why should gay guys?

by Anonymousreply 3002/14/2013

My sister and her husband have the right idea. When they were dating in college they didn't buy each other Christmas gifts. They took that money and went on a nice vacation a week after Christmas. Now that they are married and have a house they take the money they would use for valenties day and buy something for the house. They go out to eat too, but they go a few days before or a few days after Valentines Day.

You couldn't me or my sister to go out to a restaurant on Valentines day. All those people out at the same time? that's hell on earth to me

by Anonymousreply 3202/14/2013

I don't even acknowledge Valentine's Day. It's just another day. Nothing notable.

by Anonymousreply 3302/14/2013

VD is Venereal Disease, R27.

by Anonymousreply 3502/14/2013

If you really want to cornfuse them, ask them (and by them 99% of the time they are females of whom 99% are Fraus) who St. Valentine was. " was a person?!"

by Anonymousreply 3602/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!