Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Time to Hit the Small Screen

Here is a fun game. Name a fading/faded movie celeb you think is next to hit the small screen and come up with their pilot.

Renee Zellweger plays a hard scrabble criminal profiler in Chicago set on bringing down corruption at the highest levels.

by Anonymousreply 3702/18/2013

John travolta stars in a new comedy as a cagy closeted republican who inherits a gay bathhouse in Florida. Hijinks ensure. (co starring Nathan Lane as the most frequent customer)

by Anonymousreply 102/14/2013

Speaking of which, I just say Lawrence Fishburne is going to be in a new NBC show.

by Anonymousreply 202/17/2013

Viola Davis as a maid.

by Anonymousreply 302/17/2013

Meryl Streep playing Grandmother to a star like Amanda Bynes.

by Anonymousreply 402/17/2013

Meryl's TV series is called "Magnificent Margo.". She stars as a glamorous actress, Margo Fanning, who is saddled with a plain,sad sack daughter who wants to follow in mom's footsteps but just keeps embarrassing her.

Margo's best friend and advisor is her assistant, the crotchety Thelma, played by Glenn Close.

by Anonymousreply 502/17/2013

Meryl's not a good nominee. There is always at least one exception to the rule. Meryl's the except to the rule that women can't remain mainstream movie stars their entire career.

by Anonymousreply 602/17/2013

Brendan Fraser as a good-natured per diem nurse, who spends each week trying to scare up enough work to pay his child support.

Megan Mulally as his bitchy, greedy ex-wife.

by Anonymousreply 702/17/2013

Meryl Steep plays a cunty former sitcom star who has aged out of television but finds a second career as a pathetic reality show star on a Real Housewives type show. Through the reality show you discover what a horrible person she is who got what she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 802/17/2013

Glenn Close as . . oh wait. . .never mind.

by Anonymousreply 902/17/2013

Barbra Streisand plays a hooker with the best rates in town. $8 will get you anal.

by Anonymousreply 1002/17/2013

Halle Berry - single, lawyer in Atlanta with kids and relationships. Ruby Dee and James Earl Jones play the grandparents , and Angela Bassett can played her Auntie Mame kind of mother. Various black actors will play love interests. Maybe Oprah and Gayle can play the lebsian couple next door. Tyler Perry can produce. It would need a good theme song. Robin Thicke can sing it. Of course it will be on CBS.

by Anonymousreply 1102/17/2013

Susan Sarandon plays Olivia DeVears, a southern belle who buried two husbands and divorced another, each one leaving her richer than before. Olivia comes from a prominent southern family spanning generations. Although Olivia enjoys the fancy life, she carries the guilt from her ancestors who were slave owners and traders. Often times a pariah in her community, she is a liberal Democrat who won't hesitate to rail against bigotry and injustice. This is one southern belle who isn't afraid to stand her ground.

Her estate, a former cotton plantation, is inhabited by ever-changing members of her extended family from three husbands. They love, they clash, they fight, and they always come home for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 1202/17/2013

Meryl's already done TV. Didn't you see Holocaust or Alice at The Palace? Angels In America?

by Anonymousreply 1302/17/2013

What about Meryl, Glenn, and Barbra in a remake of Alice. Who should Mel?

by Anonymousreply 1402/17/2013

Jay Leno would reject these jokes.

by Anonymousreply 1502/17/2013

And your contribution, R15?

by Anonymousreply 1602/17/2013

Jessica Biel in an NBC sitcom - she's a lovelorn single gal who is secretly pining for her boss

by Anonymousreply 1702/17/2013

Johnny Knoxville is Caleb Geyser, a creaky, beer sipping, philosophical, former crop dusting pilot and stunt man, now a single gay dad to a boisterous, autistic brood of orphan quintuplets. A series of coincidences lead Knoxville (with long-suffering lobbyist partner Isaiah Mustafa in tow) to become the accident-prone mayor (!) of his dry, Evangelical home town in the new series, "Geyser's Hole-in-Five".

by Anonymousreply 1802/17/2013

I would watch R18's show.

by Anonymousreply 1902/17/2013

Tom Cruise plays a 27 year old mechanic in Detroit who accidentally finds himself in the middle of a crime ring. Will he turn in what he knows or collect more information to take them down himself? Find out what happens on the first season of [italic]The Big Fix[/italic] coming soon to FOX.

by Anonymousreply 2002/17/2013

I was going to post an idea, but it's actually so good (IMO, of course), that I'm going to try to develop it myself and see if it has potential.

by Anonymousreply 2102/17/2013

Meg Ryan and Melanie Griffith in a reboot of "The Snoops Sisters," two aging former actresses who join forces to investigate crime in the Hamptons.

by Anonymousreply 2202/17/2013

Leslie Bibb, from GCB. No project as yet, but she may appear on made-for- cell phone tv.

by Anonymousreply 2302/17/2013

"made for cell phone TV", LOL. It has replaced "Motel Cable" as the punch line for bad careers.

by Anonymousreply 2402/18/2013

If Meryl Streep did not get all the roles of any merit for 55 to 65 year olds, many of which she has not played well, then we would all get to see more of Jessica Lange, Sissy Spacek, Sally Field, Diane Keaton, Emma Thompson, Angela Basset, Stockard Channing, Amy Madigan, Melissa Leo, Michelle Pfieffer and yes, Glenn Close too in the MOVIES!

Give us a break Meryl, I beg you. You CAN'T nor are you good at playing everything. Stop being a pig.

Meryl may seem the exception, but only due to the cynicism and laziness of film makers and urban myth that she can play anything better than anybody. She can't.

She would actually fail on weekly TV and I won't be so unkind to list the reasons why.

Anyway, based on her spots on SVU I say give Marcia Gay Hardin a starring role in a new hour long procedural. FBI profiler. Or a Nurse Ratchet type in a hospital. American Horror storyish. Terrific actress, compelling and smart. Perfect for the small screen. Someone else can come up with a better plot line.

Y'all know what I said about Meryl is true. I ain't speaking to that Streep creep, so don't bother me with your crazy ass.

by Anonymousreply 2502/18/2013

And to think they didn't choose you to free those hostages in Iran.

by Anonymousreply 2602/18/2013

Pretty cute r26.

I am Canadian too, so yes, it is strange I wasn't chosen to free hostages. I am currently on a mission however. Top secret. I will prevail.

by Anonymousreply 2702/18/2013

OP, explain to me how Renee Zellweger is playing scrabble as she tracks down crime.

Do the letters help?

by Anonymousreply 2802/18/2013

Wow r25 with the real fucking truth. Great post r25. I like Meryl but you've said it perfectly.

There's been others who have been movie stars their whole career but Streep, just like them, have ups and downs.

by Anonymousreply 2902/18/2013

John Travolta, Alec Baldwin and Brandon Frasier as former stock brokers, who head west to become gold speculators. Glory Holes, this Fall on NBC.

by Anonymousreply 3002/18/2013

Winona Ryder in "Whatever I Can Get My Hands On."

Coming this Fall to TNT.

by Anonymousreply 3102/18/2013

Tuesday Well revisits her days as Mrs. Zukerman in "What's Pinky Doing on Tuesday?"

by Anonymousreply 3202/18/2013

I can't come up with any plot ideas, but I do have some serious predictions:

I think one of those Jonas brothers will end up trying to be on a TV series.

I think Ryan Phillippe was stupid not to take a TV series when it was offered, and he needs to rethink that because he has no career.

Forrest Whittacker, too.

When you look at people like Holly Hunter, Jessica Lange, Glenn Close, Don Cheadle, Melissa Leo ( who is not above doing quality TV like her brilliant turn in Treme for HBO), being on a TV series is not a stigma anymore.

I'd love to see Benjamin Bratt come back to quality TV. I loved him on the original L&O and he was brilliant in the art house film about Pinero. I just saw him in Traffic the other night a realized I miss him.

by Anonymousreply 3302/18/2013

"I think one of those Jonas brothers will end up trying to be on a TV series."

Didn't all of them do a series?

by Anonymousreply 3402/18/2013

[quote] Give us a break Meryl, I beg you. You CAN'T nor are you good at playing everything. Stop being a pig.

This has come up before on DL. How do you think it works - do you think Meryl gets a list of all movies going into production and calls the producers to tell them which ones she wants? Meryl isn't "being a pig". Everyone wants her in their movie.

Do you honestly expect her to say "Gee thanks, it looks like a terrific part, but I really think you should cast Sissy in this one. She'd be great."

Don't blame Meryl. Blame Hollywood for making only a limited number of films that call for leading roles for mature women. It's not like the golden age of Hollywood, where Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Barbara Stanwyck, Katharine Hepburn, et. al. could all find decent roles.

by Anonymousreply 3502/18/2013

Hilary Swank as a white trash 2 time Oscar winner who's determined to stay on top despite dubious talent and material. Sally Kirkland as her mother/manager, Ralph Macchio as her ex teen idol ex husband, Annette Benning as Annette Benning.

by Anonymousreply 3602/18/2013

I want to see "Glory Holes"

by Anonymousreply 3702/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!