Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why is Jessica Alba famous?

My boyfriend and I just saw her on some commercial and he asked me where she's from. He started to Google her but I stopped him to see if we could figure it out on our own.

We couldn't. We couldn't name a single movie or tv show she's appeared in, yet I feel like she's at least a b-lister.

Then we started thinking of other similar celebrities: Jessica Biel (aside from marrying Timberfag) is another one.

by Anonymousreply 5409/13/2013

Agree about both Jessicas.

Every year there is a new list of "It" girls (and boys), all about to be the next big thing.

After a couple of years, their faces and even names all begin to blur together, soon to be forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 102/13/2013

Not fast enough

by Anonymousreply 202/13/2013

Without Google I remember her from the superhero movie, Honey and a TV show in early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 302/13/2013

OP, you can ask that question of just about anyone who is labeled a celebrity today.

by Anonymousreply 402/13/2013

James Cameron discovered her to play a ninja nymphet some time ago. Forget the name of the series, but that "broke" her. And us.

by Anonymousreply 502/13/2013

Sans Google.. I believe she was in a TV show cALLED Dark Girl or something like that

by Anonymousreply 602/13/2013

Really, R4? I mean, I've never seen a movie with Jennifer Lawrence or watched Lena Dunham's show, but when I see pictures of them I at least know they have some cultural relevancy.

by Anonymousreply 702/13/2013

Well she had the looks at least, at one point she was ridiculously hot and kinda peaked around Into the Blue with male counterpart Paul Walker. Getting married and having a kid so early ruined her appeal a bit. And no she can't act and seems a stuck up snotty bitchwhore much like Biel.

by Anonymousreply 802/13/2013

Can't stand Jessica Alba.

by Anonymousreply 902/13/2013

Alba is very well known by straight men. She is adored by many of them. They don't care if she can act or not. They don't care if she is in good movies or not. Get it?

I remember a long time ago when Jennifer Connelly was seemingly pretty unknown to the general public and a writer commented that despite that almost all men (straight I assume) from teenagers to old men knew who she was. In the early days of the internet Jennifer and Pamela Anderson were the most downloaded people.

Just because someone is not on our radar does not make her unwanted in the world. "Talent" is in the eye of the beholder.

by Anonymousreply 1002/13/2013

[quote]They don't care if she can act or not. They don't care if she is in good movies or not. Get it?

That's not the point. People other than straight men know who she is and she hasn't been in ANY movies or TV shows this millenium, so how would they even know? If it wasn't for these commercials would she even be working?

She must have an amazing agent and PR team.

by Anonymousreply 1102/13/2013

[quote]I remember a long time ago when Jennifer Connelly was seemingly pretty unknown to the general public

Like the 1980s? Because she was a child star and has been working forever.

by Anonymousreply 1202/13/2013

R12 - Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 1302/13/2013

[quote] so how would they even know?

She is famous because she is considered beautiful. She has been a staple of men's magazines and other media where men see her. THAT'S how she is famous.

Jennifer Connelly was never all that famous until she was older. The only movie the general public really knew her for was Labyrinth. You could never have called her a famous or A List actor in her youth or even before A Beautiful Mind.

The point I am making is that some people are way more famous than their career might seem to merit and not for bad reasons either. For these 2 women it was because they were very beautiful and desirable. And there is nothing wrong with publicity for up and coming performers.

by Anonymousreply 1402/13/2013

Well, my mother doesn't read men's magazines and she knows who Jessica Alba is. So its not just men.

by Anonymousreply 1502/13/2013

Weirdly I can't recall anything Jessica Alba has done in the past 5-10 years except have a kid with some Cash person (or was it she named her baby Cash?) but I distinctly remember her as the pretty popular jr. high rival of Alex Mack on the Secret World of Alex Mack and the love interest of Devon Sawa in the teen gore flick "Idle Hands."

Looking at her IMDB bio I am pretty sure I rented Sin City and probably watched an episode of Sin City because I saw Jensen Ackles was on it right after he left Days of our Lives, but damn it is really bizarre how famous she is in proportion to her movie/TV output, especially when she hasn't even bothered to have a reality TV show or date another famous person. It's very bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 1602/13/2013

R15, this is because your mom reads all these People/US Weekly/Hello tabloids, and that's the only place I have seen J.Alba lately

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2013

Her biracial husband is hot.

by Anonymousreply 1802/13/2013

DARK ANGEL was the name of the tv show she was in. It was a cult hit, but wasn't on but a couple of seasons if I recall correctly. Her part in the FANTASTIC FOUR movies was probably her most famous role. And she has been, as a previous poster said, a str8 man's cream dream. Chris Rockway said he used the thought of banging her to get hard for scenes. No comment.

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2013

This is a translation from a Russian text, the author has gotten his info from Enty, I Think, so it might be quite untrue, but who knows:

"I decided not to write about how many stars (Blake Lovely, Michelle Pfeiffer, Leighton Meester, Demi Lovato, Tara Reid, Rachel Bilson, Jessica Alba, Eva Mendez, Sharon Stone, Ryan Gosling) came to Hollywood. Let's just say it's not because of their talent."

Link:

by Anonymousreply 2002/13/2013

Aside from Dark Angel, Sin City and the Fantastic Four movies, she dated Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter for a couple years, and did many, many covers for Maxim and FHM and their ilk - so agree with the "better known by straight men" description.

by Anonymousreply 2102/14/2013

Ha, that's a good read R20, despite the extremely crappy translation.

by Anonymousreply 2202/14/2013

She pouted her way, while wearing a skin tight outfit, through a tv series from James "King of the World" Cameron.

by Anonymousreply 2302/14/2013

She's fugly.

by Anonymousreply 2402/14/2013

She is half Mexican, half white, and all douche. Read the link and you'll understand.

by Anonymousreply 2502/14/2013

The paps stalk her and i can't understand why.

by Anonymousreply 2602/14/2013

They don't stalk her, r26, that's her job these days, to be out, seen as just a regular mom with her adorable kids. She probably has a deal with Wholefoods and Starbucks, same as Ben Affleck.

by Anonymousreply 2702/14/2013

Jessica Alba was one of the bitchy high school girls in that dreadful Drew Barrymore movie "Never Been Kissed." That was about a year or two before Dark Angel.

by Anonymousreply 2802/14/2013

I totally forgot that she was in Fantastic Four. I mostly associate her with that cheestastic movie Honey. But she had a big part in Machete and I'm assume she'll be in the sequel. She wasn't bad in the movie but she was far from the highlight.

She's currently promoting a self-help book she wrote.

by Anonymousreply 2902/14/2013

Her tv show Dark Angel was really popular with my age group (I was in college at the time), and I knew a ton of guys who were in love with her. Her career has kind of fizzled since then.

by Anonymousreply 3002/14/2013

She should play in better movies. She a very hot girl and she seems a nice woman. I didn't like her at the beginning, i thought she was just one of these little sluts of America, but i think i misjudged her. She seems a nice gal.

by Anonymousreply 3109/12/2013

I don't think I'd even heard of Alba until I watched Sin City a few years after its release, because my nephew loved it and I wanted to understand his teenage brain better.

The movie was craptastic, but I thought Alba was stunning. You can't really judge her acting from that movie, but she was gorgeous then.

by Anonymousreply 3209/12/2013

She was in a show where Jensen Ackles was really pretty. Isn't that why people know who she is?

by Anonymousreply 3309/12/2013

Who ?

by Anonymousreply 3409/12/2013

Jessica Biel was a star of Seventh Heaven. Everyone has an absolute right not to know what that bilge was, but I can attest that despite its fundamentalist underpinnings, its horrible scripts and worse casting, for a certain population, lying on its back in a hospital bed being treated for cancer, it got pretty addicting, to the point that watching three reruns a day seemed perfectly reasonable.

So, that said, Jessica Biel has something of a following. And one hopes that that following is in remission.

by Anonymousreply 3509/12/2013

Akias is the show that made her Sheesh

by Anonymousreply 3609/12/2013

[quote]OP, you can ask that question of just about anyone who is labeled a celebrity today.

Yes, R4, there is no good reason Leonardo DiCaprio, Sandra Bullock and Tom Hanks should be labeled celebrities. I mean, what have they ever done that was popular or memorable?

by Anonymousreply 3709/12/2013

Dark Angel was brilliant. She was hot (for a girl) and Jensen Ackles was so pretty (for a boy) and a twink! Orginal Cindy will always be the deal.

Other than that, I can't think of a thing she was in.

by Anonymousreply 3809/12/2013

I'm sure Ryan Gosling would be happy to be included as the only male in R20's list, when there are countless others that could be mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 3909/12/2013

There was an article post here awhile ago that talked about "mocktresses" they are women that are actresses, but they are in few movies but they still get magazine covers and invited to red carpet events.

Jessica Alba is one of those women. Fantastic 4, Dark Anglel, Sin City, Honey, and couple of teen shows and movies is all she has really done. But being attractive has gotten her a good living via endorsements and such.

by Anonymousreply 4009/12/2013

R1 is right. Hollywood comes out with an "It Girl" every year or two. Jennifer Lawrence is the current one, but she can act and will probably have a longer career. Many, though, are just pretty faces and that was Alba. She capitalized on her fame and got some movie roles like Fantastic Four. She did the Rom Com thing, too, but it never really worked. Katherine Heigl was like that, too, and her career similarly fizzled. And like Heigl, I hear from industry friends that Alba is difficult to work with.

by Anonymousreply 4109/12/2013

That russian blog is hilarious. see the comments. Just do not throw slippers! or talk about the blueness of the Prince.

by Anonymousreply 4209/12/2013

I think that Alba is still as hot as she used to be, and I have actually heard that she is a sweetheart. Too bad she can't act her way out of a paper bag.

by Anonymousreply 4309/12/2013

Looking good this week:

by Anonymousreply 4409/12/2013

I just saw her this week as a judge for Cupcake Wars. It looks like she's trying to make a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 4509/12/2013

Jessica Alba and Jessica Biel were never "it" girls, they were put out as potential "it girls" but they never were. They wish they were it girls.

GOOP was an it girl. ScarJo was an it girl. Julia Roberts was an it girl. Keira Knightly was an it girl. Cameron Diaz was an it girl.

It girls get Vogue and Vanity Fair covers. It girls get first refusal on hot scripts. It girls can get a movie green lit when they're "It". The publicist/manager of an "it girl" doesn't have to work, the offers come to them.

Alba was on the fringes of the B list at her best - I guarantee you her management team worked themselves to the bone to get her invites and covers. Biel is only still around because she married well.

by Anonymousreply 4609/12/2013

R45, if that's her idea of a comeback...

by Anonymousreply 4709/12/2013

R40 nailed it. Google 'mocktress' and you will understand all.

by Anonymousreply 4809/13/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4909/13/2013

I see paparazzi shots of Jess and her sprogs in the women's mags all the time, along with many other celebs who have have little to no talent or cultural relevancy, eg: Olivia Palermo, that chick from the new 90210, Kate Bosworth, the Olsen twins. This kind of fame doesn't equate with whoever the most popular actors, models or pop stars are or even who's most talked about on the internet. It's based on a complex algorithm known only to magazine photo editors.

by Anonymousreply 5009/13/2013

Does anyone else remember the poster who came here posting that his boyfriend (or maybe it was his father) was a plastic surgeon and did a labiaplasty on Jessica Alba? It was a great story. Sounded believable.

by Anonymousreply 5109/13/2013

because she was in movies and on TV.

by Anonymousreply 5209/13/2013

Who do you find more attractive? Jessica Alba or Jessica Biel?

by Anonymousreply 5309/13/2013

R46 is right. Hollywood did try to make Alba into an "It Girl" and it almost worked. Her career seemed to peak with "Into the Blue." She was on the cover of every fashion magazine, with the exception of Vogue. But similar to Megan Fox, she couldn't keep her big mouth shut. She had some issue with James Cameron. She didn't like labeling herself as Latina. Of course, she resented her sex symbol image and she felt that she should receive the same scripts as Natalie Portman!!?? Then she went away...

by Anonymousreply 5409/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.