Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did Satellite Radio Take Off?

If I listen to radio, it's always a satellite SiriusXM station. I know many cares come with it today. Is it big today? Do many people have it? How's terrestrial radio faring?

by Anonymousreply 8102/19/2013

I literally have not listened to the radio voluntarily in the last 13 years because it just kept getting worse and worse. The only time I hear it is if I'm in a friends' car and they have it on or if they're playing it in a store, which always reminds me why I quit listening.

I can't imagine Satellite radio being much better. I guess I just find DJ's rambling about dumb shit boring and I like chosing my own music.

by Anonymousreply 102/13/2013

I listen to a lot of talk radio, r1.

by Anonymousreply 202/13/2013

[quote] I guess I just find DJ's rambling about dumb shit boring and I like chosing my own music.

This does not happen on satellite, except on the Howard Stern channel or such.

by Anonymousreply 302/13/2013

I stream Pandora or the NPR Music app over Bluetooth to my car's speakers.

by Anonymousreply 402/13/2013

Only listen to satellite. Mostly OUTQ

by Anonymousreply 502/13/2013

no

by Anonymousreply 602/13/2013

I listen to Satellite all the time. My two favorite stations is Howard Stern and the gay station OutQ.

by Anonymousreply 702/13/2013

Terrestrial radio is garbage, these days. An auto-tuned nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 802/13/2013

Satellite is the way to go. I used to listen to a syndicated show bsed where I live. They are only on air 10 minutes per half hour. Te rest of each hour is commercials. Who needs that many new cars or dental work?

by Anonymousreply 902/13/2013

I listed to some of the music channels which are great and commercial free. I also listen to Stern, Frank DeCaro and Derek & Romaine. Even though I hate the fact that the moved D&R for that asscunt Lance Bass.

by Anonymousreply 1002/13/2013

[quote]Even though I hate the fact that the moved D&R for that asscunt Lance Bass.

Is Lance's show shitty? Does he talk about himself the whole time?

by Anonymousreply 1102/13/2013

I listen to Sirrius/XM both in my car and streamed at home. The Spectrum and SirriusXMU stations are really pretty great if you get into contemporary adult alternative. Their Bluhrass station and their 40's on 40 are great if you like jazz standards. I used to listen to Howard before he kept changing his schedule. OUTQ for Frank and Daria. Can't stand Derek and Romaine, though -Zzzzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 1202/13/2013

Bluegrass=Bluhrass. (On the iPad)

by Anonymousreply 1302/13/2013

Lance's show is awful. It's worse than awful. As annoying as Derek and Romaine can be at time, especially queeny Derek, they are a zillion times better than that fucker Lance. I listen to Frank and Daria in spurts. I love it when he interviews people like Kaye Ballard, but sometimes he gets annoying. I also listen to Signorele, but only in spurts.

by Anonymousreply 1402/13/2013

I only listen to NPR

by Anonymousreply 1502/13/2013

I love the radio. I listen to 570AM and 710 AM in LA for sports talk. And I listen to On Broadway on Sirius XM. Seth Rudetsky is very entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 1602/13/2013

I listen to iTunes radio a lot. There are free streaming stations there and I can get a little of everything, including some retro, some dance. Anyone with an iTunes account can listen to those stations.

I'm also an on air DJ at a non commercial station. It's fun and I can play what I want!

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2013

SiriusXm claims to have 23mil subscribers, and the company is finally profitable and has good cash flow. Is it a product of new care sales or great programming? I don't know.

Personally, I subscribed to hear Howard Stern. The music stations are good (I listen to mostly country). It's worth it if you spend a lot of time in the car. As an internet radio station, only Stern gives it an edge over Spotify or Pandora.

by Anonymousreply 1802/13/2013

I love SiriusXM. I listen to it in my car every day.

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2013

I have Sirius in the car, and stream at home. I mostly listen to 53 Chill (especially great when reading or grading), but also to 51 BPM at the gym. Most of the people on Sirius Left bug the shit out of me, but talk radio does in general. The only talk radio show I found pretty great was Pete Dominic, but they moved him to another channel and I can't remember which.

by Anonymousreply 2002/13/2013

[quote]I only listen to NPR

Yawn. I can't fucking stand NPR. When I was 20, I worked in this shitty office with this annoying hipster and she would always listen to that shit thinking she was being cool. It was so boring. I have nothing but bad memories of it.

by Anonymousreply 2102/13/2013

Pete Dominic is on Sirius 104 at 8 am now, r20.

by Anonymousreply 2202/13/2013

Love Sirius. Howard Stern is the best.

by Anonymousreply 2302/13/2013

[quote]SiriusXm claims to have 23mil subscribers, and the company is finally profitable and has good cash flow.

Why? There's Pandora, which isn't even that good, and then great free Internet radio like Slacker and my new favorite Raditaz (no ads, even for free listeners). They have hundreds of pre-programmed stations in genres and micro-genres, or it's easy enough to make your own.

I thought Internet radio would put satellite radio out of business by now, but I guess not. Must be all those pre-installed Sirius units in cars.

by Anonymousreply 2402/14/2013

The car that I bought last year came with Sirius 3 month trial. I enjoyed a few stations, but it was so annoying losing the signal when I drove under an overpass or even some mature trees. When the trial was over I just switched over to Pandora streaming on Bluetooth.

by Anonymousreply 2502/14/2013

I love Elvis Radio on Sirius. Great station. I listen to it every day commuting to and from work. Great songs, few repeats.

by Anonymousreply 2602/14/2013

I tried Slacker, Pandora and Songza. Something about having the option to get up and edit what you're listening to disrupts the listening experience. When I've got friends over, I don't want to think about what music is playing. I can be obsessive about it. Listening to a DJ driven station - on Sirius or Soma FM is great for entertaining.

I do love listening to Pandora's classic Jazz when I'm reading, though.

by Anonymousreply 2702/14/2013

I was one of Sirius' early subscribers for OutQ, which was a lifeline in rural America.

I haven't been a subscriber for several years due to Sirius/XM 's sound quality issues, OutQ's stale programming and short playlists on many of the music channels. Web stations and podcasts are free, sound better, and often provide comparable or better content.

Terrestrial radio is complete garbage in my area, an clearly on the decline.

by Anonymousreply 2802/14/2013

Long time SiriusXM subscriber, like Stern, Opie and Anthony, the Bridge, the 70's, 80s and 90s stations. Ron and gay Fez are also damn good (middays on the Virus).

by Anonymousreply 2902/14/2013

I was a XM subscriber before it merged to SiriusXM. Then, I liked XM because of more variety and less commercials. Now, I like SiriusXM because of On Demand to listen to shows I missed because of scheduling conflicts. My favorite shows are the weekend countdown shows on 60's on 6 and 70's on 7.

by Anonymousreply 3002/14/2013

I got Sirius for the old time radio shows, but when they merged with XM, they dropped the Sirius guy and new show is horrible.

Now I mostly use it for Bloomberg, CNBC, and some sports talk shows (something I find very entertaining even though I don't care much for sports).

I bought the lifetime package so I have it for as long as I own my car (7 years and counting). When I buy a new car I doubt if I'll pay the current rates.

by Anonymousreply 3102/14/2013

Terrestrial radio is dying. Clear Channel, CBS Radio, and the other media conglomerates which own the vast majority of US radio stations are deeeep in debt and on the verge of drowning in it. They've trimmed away all of the fat in their stations and are cutting out muscle and bone. In the process, they've destroyed what once made radio great. When anyone can broadcast online to a worldwide audience without spending millions to buy a station (and doesn't need an FCC license to do it), the game has changed permanently.

by Anonymousreply 3202/14/2013

XM in the car, streamed SiriusXM on my iPhone or any internet access computer in the world. I was a local radio personality in the '70s and '80s. Local radio went to Hell with the Communications Act of 1996. Ownership deregulation ushered the fruition of "Radio Gaga."

by Anonymousreply 3302/14/2013

With satellite radio, at least there's a variety of genres you cna listen to. But the selection generally sucks as bad as terrestrial. It's like each station only has the same 50 songs they're allowed to play. Gimme college radio any day.

by Anonymousreply 3402/14/2013

I finally gave up on terrestrial radio for good. Radio in Atlanta is so bad as to be unlistenable (3 sports talk stations on FM, 6 stations playing Katy Perry and Bieber, and the latest format flip- Christian Country!). I learned that I could stream stations from my phone through my car stereo and now listen to stuff from all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 3502/14/2013

I rarely listen to the radio in my car anymore, and I never listen inside my home.

Instead I listen to books-on-tape.

All hail Audible.com!

by Anonymousreply 3602/14/2013

The sound quality on Sirius channels is awful. Apparently the bittate is very low. I subscribe, but mostly end up just listening to my iPod in the car.

by Anonymousreply 3702/14/2013

I've had XM/Sirius in my car for three years, turning a trial into renewed annual subscriptions. There are some decent news stations, some good collections of better NPR and like stories, a couple of music stations I fall back on, and the comedy stations when I'm in the mood.

I asked for the "special offer my car dealer told me about" of $69/year and have been able to renew at that rate each year by request. If it were much more than that, I probably would find an alternative, but $69 is cheap enough to have some luxury of choice when I drive (in addition to my own music via iTunes.)

by Anonymousreply 3802/14/2013

I have the music only option for SiriusXM in my car, and have had it for 3 years now. The only talk station is BBC News, which is fine with me. I mostly hit the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, The Blend, Love Songs, The Bridge, Broadway, and Classical Pops. The one that really bugs me is the 80s station, which has an incredibly narrow playlist of songs -- for example, you never hear the "Urban Country" hits of the early 80s or any of the schmaltzy ballads that I loved from that era -- it's almost exclusively hard rock and British new wave/romantic with the occasional dance tune thrown in. The 70s station plays a far greater diversity of hits from that decade, so that tends to be my #1 choice.

by Anonymousreply 3902/14/2013

I've had XM for years. I listen to BPM and um..... that's about it. When it became SiriusXM, some new stations came over when they got rid of the overlap. It's not worth the price really, but I do a family package with my parents.

by Anonymousreply 4002/14/2013

I have Sirius in my car. I like "The Loft", "Ozzy's Boneyard" "Bluesville" "Soultown" and some of the sports stations. The "First Wave" channel needs a TOTAL overhaul--most of what they play is shit. LOVE Marky Ramone's "Punk rock Blitzkrieg" on the "Faction" station.

by Anonymousreply 4102/14/2013

[quote]The sound quality on Sirius channels is awful. Apparently the bittate is very low. I subscribe, but mostly end up just listening to my iPod in the car.

The Sirius side of the service is still using its proprietary, inherently inferior codec...PAC. XM originally opted for and still uses the popular AAC+, which generally sounds decent on bitrates as low as 32kbps. If you're worried about sound quality, choose an XM radio over Sirius.

by Anonymousreply 4202/14/2013

I subscribed for Howard Stern and used to say I would drop it if he left, but probably like they hoped, I am too used to it now to let it go. The selection and lack of commercials on the music channels just blows away the awful terrestrial radio around here (Philly); I also like some of the talk channels, like Sirius Left.

by Anonymousreply 4302/14/2013

I listen to terrestrial radio only to catch the local sports (basketball, baseball and lacrosse) that are not on satellite radio (maybe 2 hours/week). Otherwise I listen to SiriusXM.

My go-to channels are Broadway, OutQ, NPR, MSNBC, BBC, E Street (Springsteen), Radio One, Willy's Place, and Coffeehouse.

by Anonymousreply 4402/14/2013

[quote]XM in the car, streamed SiriusXM on my iPhone

Does that cost extra, to get it on your phone, or is it included with the "regular" car subscription?

by Anonymousreply 4502/14/2013

R24 - I agreee, Slacker >>>>> Pandora any day of the week. I never understood why it didnt take off the way Pandora has. Probably because Pandora's user interface much is easier to use and stations are easier to program/tune, but that's because Pandora's programming editor software sucks when it comes to fine tuning their stations - A song that has nothing to do with the genre I'm playing pops up a lot more on Pandora stations than on Slacker.

I will definitely have to check Raditaz out. Another one I recommend is TuneIn. Not only do you have access to streaming radio all over the world, but access to Internet radio stations (AddictedToRadio is one of my favorites), and podcasts. Songza is okay, but their selection is very limited.

I used to listen to XM Radio, but then my player broke and I never bothered to get a new one because I had my iPhone by then and I was streaming audio through it. It would be cool to get to listen to Howard Stern again.

by Anonymousreply 4602/14/2013

I drove from New Orleans to Philadelphia last summer using only satellite and listening to the all 80's station. In a drive totaling about 22 ours across 2 days I heard the same 38 Special song (Back Where You Belong) 6 times. That should tell you all you need to know about satellite radio.

by Anonymousreply 4702/14/2013

22 HOURS before everyone gets all pissy!

by Anonymousreply 4802/14/2013

Then change the channel, r47. That's why there are like 200 of them.

Channels tend to get stuck in "loops" of songs (I love Chill, and it's the same there), but they swap out with regular frequency. It's not as if they play the same 50 songs forever.

by Anonymousreply 4902/14/2013

[quote]I listen to iTunes radio a lot. There are free streaming stations there and I can get a little of everything, including some retro, some dance. Anyone with an iTunes account can listen to those stations.

Secret Agent Radio

The soundtrack for your stylish, mysterious, dangerous life.

by Anonymousreply 5002/14/2013

When you are paying for the radio and you have 10 years of songs to choose from, R49, there is no earthly reason to hear the same song 6 times in a 2 day period. I am willing to bet that it was the same "loop" over and over.

by Anonymousreply 5102/14/2013

I like listening to Playboy Radio and Spice Radio.

Three or four years ago, this was a penny stock and Sirius said they did not have a viable, sustainable business model. Now the stock is above $3.

by Anonymousreply 5202/14/2013

R52: At $3 and some change per share, that's still a penny stock in the terminology of most investors:

[quote]Investopedia explains 'Penny Stock' The term itself is a misnomer because there is no generally accepted definition of a penny stock. Some consider it to be any stock that trades for pennies or those that trade for under $5, while others consider any stock trading off of the major market exchanges as a penny stock. However, confusion can occur as there are some very large companies, based on market capitalization, that trade below $5 per share, while there are many very small companies that trade for $5 or more.

by Anonymousreply 5302/14/2013

[quote] Channels tend to get stuck in "loops" of songs

Does anyone know if there is a good reason for this? Maybe the payment to the rights-owners is for a period of time rather than per-play, so they get their money's worth by playing it often during a certain period?

by Anonymousreply 5402/14/2013

I agree with R51. SiriusXM's 70s and 80s channels are particularly notorious for their limited playlists. There are a handful of 70s classic rock songs that are endlessly repeated on a daily basis on the 70s decade channel, The Bridge, Classic Vinyl and several others. If you listen to the Casey Kasem American Top 40 shows from the 70s that they broadcast on the weekends, you'll hear dozens of songs that otherwise never see the light of day on SiriusXM. It's a ridiculous practice for a paid subscriber music service.

by Anonymousreply 5502/14/2013

Most investment funds have rules that forbid owning stocks under $5/share.

Something to keep in mind if the stock gets close to crossing the magic $5 mark. It could explode upwards as funds pile in.

by Anonymousreply 5602/14/2013

r55, the 70s station is infinitely better than the 80s station in this regard. At least on the 70s station I can hear "Southern Nights" followed by "One Tin Soldier" followed by "Last Dance" followed by "More Than a Feeling" followed by "Flashlight" -- you never hear that type of variety on the 80s channel.

by Anonymousreply 5702/14/2013

I listen to regular radio in the car (a used model from 2004--I ain't rich) or else Pandora or I heart Radio on my iPhone or iPad. I also have 25,000 songs on my ipod. Satellite radio is nice and I get the appeal, but I wouldn't listen to it enough to justify the luxury when I already have plenty of music options.

by Anonymousreply 5802/14/2013

r50, I love Secret Agent Radio too.

Have you heard Luxuria Music? My other favorite...

[quote]Surf Music, Bossa Nova, Exotica, Space-Age Bachelor Pad, Jazz, Soft-Psych, Sunshine Pop, Wall of Sound, Latin, Go-Go, and Film & TV music of the past 50 years are expertly distilled and blended in order to concoct the “highly intoxicating and sometimes hallucinatory” LuxuriaMusic Sound. Somehow, in this context, it all makes sense.

Again, 24-7 and commercial free. Their Sunday night show, "The Kitsch Niche," is a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 5902/14/2013

I listen to Sirius all the time.

Classical Pops, Chill, BPM, Lithium, and 60s are the stations I listen to the most.

by Anonymousreply 6002/14/2013

I wonder if some of these satellite music channels are programmed by the same people who used to work in terrestrial?

by Anonymousreply 6102/14/2013

I love it when the XM DJs get out of sync with the playlist. Shattering the illusion of radio right there.

ANd will someone muzzle that cunt Madison already?

by Anonymousreply 6202/14/2013

I signed-on to Sirius for Lynn Samuels. When she died on Christmas Eve 2011, cancelled my subscription.

by Anonymousreply 6302/14/2013

I love SiriusXM but their customer service is the worst in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 6402/14/2013

I heard the song "Convoy" on the 70s station once, and nearly had an accident. Never, ever thought I would hear that song again in my life.

by Anonymousreply 6502/14/2013

[quote] I heard the song "Convoy" on the 70s station once, and nearly had an accident. Never, ever thought I would hear that song again in my life.

If you had had an accident, I hope your CB radio was in working order to call the smokeys.

by Anonymousreply 6602/14/2013

R:45, They charge extra for a streaming subscription. Streamed audio sounds much better than the AAC+ codec which is used on the satellite and terrestrial repeater services on the XM platform. Some of the music channels such the classical and jazz channels have higher bit rates than most others and sound better.

by Anonymousreply 6702/14/2013

[quote]Does anyone know if there is a good reason for this? Maybe the payment to the rights-owners is for a period of time rather than per-play, so they get their money's worth by playing it often during a certain period?

When Clear Channel automated (and voice tracked) hundreds of their music stations and fired jocks and programmers, some of them moved to satellite. XM before the merger had deep playlists and low repetition under the direction of Lee Abrams, and that was a nice thing. Sirius, however has always been programmed much like terrestrial radio with limited playlists per channel, well researched just like the programmers did on terrestrial stations. It's a huge difference in philosophy. I get the old XM experience...deep cuts...on internet radio.

by Anonymousreply 6802/14/2013

'High Standards' with Jonathon Schwartz on 40s on 4/Sirius XM. An otherwise good show RUINED by his rambling and the sound of his ill-fitting dentures! Gross.

by Anonymousreply 6902/14/2013

I listen to OutQ for Frank DeCaro and Doria Biddle, Watercolors for smooth jazz, 1st Wave, and all the decade channels. I love my Sirius radio!

by Anonymousreply 7002/14/2013

For those that want a true DJ-driven station on satellite, try Spectrum or The Loft. SirriusXMU is also pretty good, but college alternative.

by Anonymousreply 7102/14/2013

I have two apps on my Android phone - Pandora and TuneIn.

I pay for a Pandora One account so no ads. On TuneIn it depends on the station you connect to when you're using it.

by Anonymousreply 7202/14/2013

When I go for long drives, I so much prefer talk to music as the music after a while kind of lulls me.

Really miss Lynn Samuels. I have satellite for Howard- but he is not on enough. Jay Thomas is OK.

After reading this thread, I need to check out Frank De Caro and Dario...

by Anonymousreply 7302/15/2013

[quote]When you are paying for the radio and you have 10 years of songs to choose from, [R49], there is no earthly reason to hear the same song 6 times in a 2 day period. I am willing to bet that it was the same "loop" over and over.

This is why I don't understand why anyone would listen to radio for music in this day and age. Why not just play your MP3 player which will have all of the songs you like and you can pick and choose whatever you're in the mood for at any time?

by Anonymousreply 7402/15/2013

[quote] This is why I don't understand why anyone would listen to radio for music in this day and age. Why not just play your MP3 player which will have all of the songs you like and you can pick and choose whatever you're in the mood for at any time?

Most trips in my car are 10-15 minutes to run errands. I don't feel like grabbing my iPod everytime I go somewhere. Also, how will you be exposed to anything new if you're only listening to your iPod?

by Anonymousreply 7502/15/2013

I listen to my ipod nearly exclusively, R75 and still manage to spend easily $1,000 to $2,000 a year on music.

by Anonymousreply 7602/15/2013

I rarely listen to music unless I am at a place where it is being played live. Nowadays I don't even like that much because it is usually electronic. Rare to find people actually playing string, wind, and percussion. I only listen to radio in the car, and then it is usually the local NPR station.

by Anonymousreply 7702/15/2013

[quote] I listen to my ipod nearly exclusively, and still manage to spend easily $1,000 to $2,000 a year on music.

So why not elaborate on what it is you buy? New music from artists you already like?

by Anonymousreply 7802/15/2013

R21 is old and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 7902/15/2013

I like having SiriusXM in the car. I drove about 500 miles the other day and it was a godsend - I flicked through the stations in part to keep myself awake. I sure could listen to my iPod in the car, but like a poster upthread said, how would I discover new stuff? I've bought dozens of songs after hearing them on Chill.

by Anonymousreply 8002/19/2013

I don't listen to commercial radio anymore, just NPR and Sirius. My favorite channels are the Spectrum, the Loft, the Bridge, the 70s, and OutQ. I quite like Lance Bass's show--he's really a radio natural, and I like how he surrounds himself with his friends on air.

by Anonymousreply 8102/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.