Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Has Madonna given up on acting?

She hasn't acted since guest-starring on an episode of Will & Grace 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2702/14/2013

Yes OP, she said there was no point or something in an interview after all the flack she got for anything she did. But there's always the directing!

by Anonymousreply 102/13/2013

R1 at last. the bitch has taken the hint..

by Anonymousreply 202/13/2013

No. She's taking on the role of Marlene Dietrich. In talks now.

by Anonymousreply 302/13/2013

Well, has she?

by Anonymousreply 402/13/2013

Wouldn't she have had to have actually started doing it in order to give it up?

by Anonymousreply 502/13/2013

She's quit acting? Oh, I guess there IS a God.

by Anonymousreply 602/13/2013

Recently watched that "Cherish" video.

Madge was definitely at her hottest there.

by Anonymousreply 702/13/2013

Maybe she could star in a Mae West biopic...or does she not want to make the similarities so obvious?

by Anonymousreply 802/13/2013

She always acts like the critics are just out to get her, not that she melts screens with how horrible her acting is. If you ask me the critics have always been kind to her when you think about it.

by Anonymousreply 902/13/2013

Sshhhh, don't wake the sleeping beast.

by Anonymousreply 1002/13/2013

She certainly has NOT given up acting. However, studios and directors HAVE given up hiring her. Also audiences have given up watching her.

by Anonymousreply 1102/13/2013

Acting gave up on Madonna years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1202/13/2013

She is doing Lady Macbeth

by Anonymousreply 1302/13/2013

She's still acting as if she's relevant.

by Anonymousreply 1402/13/2013

What I don't understand is that she is very good in her videos. That's a form of acting in a way. Yet the minute she has dialogue it goes downhill.

by Anonymousreply 1502/13/2013

Well that's the problem R15, ever hear her speak? No coincidence the extended music video Evita got her the most acclaim. She felt she didn't need acting lessons of course.

by Anonymousreply 1602/13/2013

did she ever start?

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2013

I have wondered the same thing, R15. And it isn't just speaking - she can't even move pr sit still believably in a film, yet seems completely at home in her videos.

I've always suspected she's fairly stupid. In early interviews, she sounds like she just barely got her GED. She was pushy and knew which dicks to suck, but she's not exactly a brain trust. If she was, she would have dropped the whore act and moved into a more mature phase of her career.

by Anonymousreply 1802/13/2013

she is strangely self-conscious when she speaks and it carries over into her acting...she needs those "carry the energy of sentence thru to the end of the point" lesson M got as Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2013

[quote]I've always suspected she's fairly stupid. In early interviews, she sounds like she just barely got her GED.

Of course she's stupid. You'd have to be a fucking idiot to get married without a prenup, and she ended up paying out a reported $70 million in her divorce because she was so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2002/13/2013

I've never thought of her as stupid. She has some smarts, no doubt but when she puts on her pretensions then well, she sounds stupid. She is incredibly insecure and it carries into her acting as well. Too mannered and calculated, it just doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 2102/13/2013

Here is thespian genius Madonna in another Hitchcock worthy classic.

This is always cited by the loons as the one example of her doing great acting, but it seems it took the director filming outtakes and her not being aware she was being filmed to get the performance in an incestuous "film within a film" style. She hated this of course and didn't like stuff like ad libbing which the director made her do and they trashed each other in the press. It really looks like Harvey Keitel/the director is insulting her rather than her character.

by Anonymousreply 2202/13/2013

[italic]Recently watched that "Cherish" video.

Madge was definitely at her hottest there.[/italic]

You must mean her fattest. Madonna looked her best in the early 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 2302/13/2013

Remember that episode of "The Golden Girls" when Dorothy said "I'll be sure to say enough Hail Mary's until Madonna has a hit movie" ?

I don't think Madonna is "stupid" per se. I agree with R21 that she's insecure (well-known for this matter-of-fact) and too self-conscious, and probably too aware of being MADONNA in order to really become a decent actress. Her massive ego and having way too much confidence in her abilities - She has admitted that she isn't the best singer, and yet managed to accomplish a lot, but she can't get away with that when it comes to acting.

Her best roles were in "Desperately Seeking Susan," in which she was playing an exaggerated version of herself and in "Truth or Dare/In Bed With Madonna," in which she was playing an exaggerated version of herself. Yeah, I know it was supposed to be a documentary, but please...it was just as calculating and manipulative as everything else she has done in her career.

by Anonymousreply 2402/13/2013

[quote]I don't think Madonna is "stupid" per se.

Read R20. She's stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2502/13/2013

R25 - She had to pay all that hush money to keep Guy quiet because he probably knows way too much. I couldn't believe she didn't make him sign a prenup either. Guy looks like he's really good in bed and she was probably too dickmatized to have him sign a prenup when she should have. For a shrewd businesswoman, that was a major fuck-up on her part.

by Anonymousreply 2602/13/2013

I hope she has given up because she really was awful.

There have been so many singers/muscians who have turned to acting but who has been the most successful. Could be Will Smith as he has had big box office hits and an Oscar nomination. Timberlake has done ok, certainly better than Madonna but now seems to be switching back to music.

by Anonymousreply 2702/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.