Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Penzeys Spices

Anyone else a fan?

Spices at my local grocery have gone through the roof and a friend suggested I order online from Penzeys.

I had never heard of them.

Currently I am experimenting with various types of pepper -- black, white, and green.

Wow! I had no idea. I thought pepper was pepper.

They have stores in major cities but of course none in my state.

by Anonymousreply 4202/15/2013

They have interesting spice blends, too. The first time I went into one of their stores, I ended up spending over $100! I like that they have different sizes of most of their products, instead of just those large bottles/jars you get in supermarkets. That way I can get smaller sizes of the ones I don't use that often.

by Anonymousreply 102/13/2013

The online fraus seem so love them. If you have no other choice they might be ok. Below is an alt to compare them to.

by Anonymousreply 202/13/2013

I loooove Penzeys. I order online, there's usually a code for a free spice, too. Their cinnamon (all of them) is excellent. They make some good blends, too--I adore Mural of Flavor and Arizona Dreamin'.

by Anonymousreply 302/13/2013

Oh, and try their cocoa powder (the high fat one), so good.

by Anonymousreply 402/13/2013

I've used them as well. Fresh and good.

by Anonymousreply 502/13/2013

I always sprinkle some Fox Point Seasoning in my eggs before I scramble them.

by Anonymousreply 602/13/2013

Their double strength vanilla is the best I've ever tried including the pricey gourmet brands. Their new spice mix called "Forward!" is incredible.

by Anonymousreply 702/13/2013

I eat predominantly vegetarian food, and I put Tuscan Sunset on almost all of it.

by Anonymousreply 802/13/2013

I love their dried chilis. I mostly use ancho, but they have them in many varieties and grades of heat.

by Anonymousreply 902/13/2013

This, R9?

by Anonymousreply 1002/13/2013

OP, you thought pepper was pepper? You didn't know about red and white peppercorns? What, are you stuck in 1979? Please,get out of the house more often, or at least pick up a cook book or culinary magazine more often.

by Anonymousreply 1102/13/2013

I just discovered them about a year ago. Their website is not so good. Since they had a store in Los Angeles I thought I would check them out.

Wow, I am a spice whore now. You can smell all the spices, lots of blends, all very fresh, better amount for your money. I will not even buy spices in the regular markets anymore.

I second that on the Double Strength Bourbon Vanilla extract. It is intoxicating. I also dropped close to $100 bucks my first time there.

Even just basic spices like Cumin or Chile Powder is so much better there.

Who knew spices were so amazing! I tossed that cheap Martha Stewart spice rack into the garbage and could not be happier.

by Anonymousreply 1202/13/2013

Add some whole allspice to your pepper grinder, it is a pepper. Not too much, maybe 25%

by Anonymousreply 1302/13/2013

Another pepper I am trying is called "Szechuan Pepper."

This is not a true true pepper, but it tastes like it AND has the added feature of numbing your mouth like novacaine.

Wild!

by Anonymousreply 1402/13/2013

Yes, that's it, r11. I like that it's salt-free, so I can adjust the salt separately. It's great by itself too, if you're on a low-sodium diet.

by Anonymousreply 1502/13/2013

If there had been an internet in the '70s, all websites would've looked like Penzey's current website.

by Anonymousreply 1602/13/2013

They have several stores in the Minneapolis area. Love them.

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2013

Their Saigon cinnamon is fantastic. It's naturally sweet on its own, so I've been able to reduce the amount of sugar in my weekly batch of granola. I gave it as Christmas gifts this year and even people who don't bake a lot were raving about it.

Their Turkish bay leaves are the best I've found and I like their chili and Greek seasonings. I use Fox Point on my popcorn and they have a breakfast sausage seasoning that I mix with ground turkey to make my own sausage patties for brunch. People are amazed that you can make your own sausage and I always send newbies home with a few tablespoons.

The catalog that's mailed to you (as opposed to the one you can pick up in the store) almost always has a coupon for a free jar of seasoning; this month it's cumin. When you order online, they include a free small jar of one of their spices.

Their catalog regularly features gay and lesbian couples as well as adoptive families and has done so for many years.

by Anonymousreply 1802/13/2013

I live about 6 blocks from one in a fly over state. I like their Fancy Viet Cinnamon and the almond, lemon and orange extracts.

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2013

I love Penzeys!!! We have a store about 20 miles away and it's worth the trip. I live in Michigan.

I think it might also be possible to go to Whole Foods and buy loose spices in small amounts. We're into all kinds of new things and we buy spices a whole new way. We buy smaller amounts and fresher too. You haven't lived until you use freshly ground nutmeg or cardamon.

by Anonymousreply 2002/13/2013

their greek seasoning is excellent also their English Prime Rib seasoning, Green Goddess Mix and any of their peppers. Have loved them since the mid 90s.

by Anonymousreply 2102/13/2013

R22 Yes, the Green Goddess blend makes a nice dip as well.

by Anonymousreply 2202/13/2013

Do the ingredients of the Green Goddess blend list dried anchovy in it?

I think to be authentic Green Goddess it must have anchovy.

by Anonymousreply 2302/13/2013

R24 Sorry no: Hand-mixed from: green onion, sugar, basil, celery flakes, minced garlic and dill weed.

I think it would be difficult to include anchovy in a dried herb mix.

by Anonymousreply 2402/13/2013

Do you put an anchovy in your Green Goddess dressing/dip?

If not, why not?

What have anchovies ever done to you?

Don't you want to be authentic?

by Anonymousreply 2502/13/2013

I hate to be the guy who says so..but if you go to the farmer's market, you'll realize you'be been ripped off.

by Anonymousreply 2602/13/2013

I love Penzeys. Their gift boxes are a nice gift as well. The catalog is fun and always gives me good ideas. I get almost all my spices from there now.

I have to go to Sur La Table for the espelette spice though. But not many would use that anyway. But I prefer it to paprika. Their Spanish paprika is good though.

My favorite spice from there is the Old World seasoning. It's so good on baked or grilled chicken. And the English Prime Rib Rub.

by Anonymousreply 2702/13/2013

R27 I think the Penzey customer does not have access to farmer's markets or other choices in their area. Penzeys does most of their business online. They do have retail stores but they are mostly in urban areas.

by Anonymousreply 2802/13/2013

Farmer's markets sell spices?

I've never noticed any at the stands I've been to.

Preserves, jellies, etc. in addition to their fruits and vegetables -- but no spices though.

by Anonymousreply 2902/13/2013

Green Goddess should have both anchovy and tarragon. You'd think they would have added tarragon.

by Anonymousreply 3002/13/2013

all girls just piss their pants for this group

by Anonymousreply 3102/13/2013

I am slowly replacing all of my spices with Penzeys. The extra hot pepper flakes (Indian style) are great as is most everything else there.

by Anonymousreply 3202/13/2013

Can one buy Grains of Paradise at Penzey's?

by Anonymousreply 3302/14/2013

R34 -- re Grains of Paradise

I just checked the Penzeys site, and no, I did not see them being offered for sale.

However I found them for you at at R2's helpful site.

by Anonymousreply 3402/14/2013

Seems to me to just be one more way for a fool and his money to be soon parted. Especially in the area of various salt products. Repeated tests have shown that NaCl is NaCl and tastes like NaCl, no matter how much the consumer pays.

by Anonymousreply 3502/14/2013

So where would you get better ground ancho at a better price, R36. C'mon. Tell us.

by Anonymousreply 3602/14/2013

Mountain Rose Herbs is a great site for organic and/or fair trade spices. A bit cheaper, too.

by Anonymousreply 3702/14/2013

Penzeys is very good, but my preference is toward Zamouri Spices

by Anonymousreply 3802/14/2013

Never tried Penzey's...But I am a big fan of The Spice House.

www.thespicehouse.com

by Anonymousreply 3902/14/2013

To me, spices are very subjective,

It would seem to me that it would be best to be able to actually smell the spice one is about to buy.

Penzeys has physical stores that you can enter and do just that.

by Anonymousreply 4002/14/2013

Spice House also has physical stores...been to the one in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 4102/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.