Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GERD sufferers--do you ever feel like there is a "lump" in your throat

This coupled with the belching is driving me insane. My dr. just recommended I supplement my rx dose with Zantac. I cannot drink or eat anything I enjoy anymore. Agh.

by Anonymousreply 2404/05/2014

Erma Gerd?

by Anonymousreply 102/13/2013

Sounds serious, OP!

Can I have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 202/13/2013

GERD a verd a squirrl

Bork! Bork! Bork!

by Anonymousreply 302/13/2013

You have to change your eating habits.

Get away from acidic and spicy foods. Reduce intake of soft drinks.

If you consume foods that that don't aggravate your condition, you will improve.

by Anonymousreply 402/13/2013

I also have it OP, what I've learned is to follow each mouthful of food with a gulp of water.

by Anonymousreply 502/13/2013

OP, acid reflux is the worst. I also have those symptoms. I wake up each morning belching insanely. Keep a log of food that aggravate your issues and steer clear.

by Anonymousreply 602/13/2013

Have you tried Prilosec?

by Anonymousreply 702/13/2013

Prilosec can cause magnesium deficiency, which can cause migraines and worse. I've noticed that it's now being formulated with added magnesium.

by Anonymousreply 802/13/2013

a Pepcid a day keeps the gerd away.

by Anonymousreply 902/13/2013

I have to stay away from acid too. What can you put on a salad as dressing that is not unhealthy or high in calories and is not an acid besides salt.

by Anonymousreply 1002/13/2013

fellow gerd-ers, what are your symptoms?

by Anonymousreply 1102/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 1202/13/2013

Yes, I totally used to feel like I had a lump in my throat and feared the worst.

My doctor said to relax and he prescribed 150mg Zantac, which was only available by prescription at the time.

Helped tremendously and I still use it.

by Anonymousreply 1302/13/2013

Losing weight eliminates GERD. GERD is one of the side effects of having too much belly fat. GERD is also a precursor to many more serious diseases, like cancer of the esophogus.

People who claim to be healthy even though they are obese always have GERD, and are delusional about their health, or lack thereof.

by Anonymousreply 1402/13/2013

This thread sounds fat.

by Anonymousreply 1502/13/2013

Yes, my husband had that bubble in his throat as he described it. He had a procedure where they put a probe down his throat. Prescribed Prilosec. He hasn't had any trouble since.

by Anonymousreply 1602/13/2013

Have you been tested for H. pylori? There have been reports recently suggesting that H. pylori may cause chronic GERD, and that H. pylori eradication may improve GERD symptoms. Obviously won't apply to everyone, but it might be something to ask your doctor about.

If your GERD is the result of an infection, daily consumption of probiotic yogurt can help (assuming you can tolerate yogurt).

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2013

Unlike other posters here, I'm gonna tell you to NOT drink too much while you eat. I'm a long tone sufferer, and had every test in the book done on me, till I found what worked for me

#1, no alcohol. Sorry to say, but if the only thing you do to change is stop drinking, you should still be ALOT better. That's no alcohol at all, unless you wanna be ready to deal with horrible GERD for a few days

Foods im okay with: oatmeal, potatoes (including fries, yay!), peanut butter and other non animal fats

Foods that are good, but not as good as the above: breads, pasta, fruits, most veggies, spicy foods, lean protein sources, processes foods in general (though I stay away most of the time)

Foods not so good: RICE (it's strange, I've been tested, doc still doesn't kno y), ALCOHOL, citrus fruits, COFFEE

by Anonymousreply 1802/13/2013

[quote] This coupled with the belching is driving me insane

Taking 2 tablespoons of baking soda mixed with water helps with belching. you will belch a lot a few minutes after drinking it, but it gets rid of all the gas in your stomach in the next few minutes and you aren't suffering with it later. It also takes away the acid

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2013

Not a doctor here:

I should also state that I've been underweight my entire life. As a female Ive been between 16-18% on the BMi fat scale thing, even after a pregnancy scare. Most of the time it's on the lower side tho, so I know it's probably the reason doctors don't take me seriously. The more I eat, the less I weight and the more symptoms I feel, :(

by Anonymousreply 2002/13/2013

Two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar stirred into some water right before meals was my cure.

I don't drink alcohol, I avoid all dairy products and I drink coffee once or twice a year. I take probiotics, in pill form. My evening snack is an apple.

I don't take any of the meds that doctors tried to push on me. No need for them, and they all cause more problems than they solve.

by Anonymousreply 2102/13/2013

Raise the head of your bed with a 2X4 under the legs.

by Anonymousreply 2202/13/2013

Pepcid might help but it makes you poop a lot.

by Anonymousreply 2302/13/2013

I take Protonix which used to control my reflux (hiatal hernia). But lately the first few bites of my breakfast and lunch come right back up. Has anybody had this? Even something as bland as toast will do it.

by Anonymousreply 2404/05/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!