Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I watched an entire episode of Honey Boo Boo the other night

It was the Christmas episode.

I was expecting to hate it, but it was actually quite sweet and funny.

Yes, the Boo Boo family is fat, gross, redneck, uncouth, trashy, and so on. But they're also quite funny. They don't seem to take themselves seriously and realize that it's all just a lark.

One of the older daughters is particularly witty and funny.

June Boo Boo seems to have a good attitude about it too. When the family held a "June-Off" (making pig faces to look like her), she just sat there and smiled.

Honey Boo Boo herself actually seems quite bright for her age. Obnoxious as hell, of course, but she has a great sense of comedy. Quite amazing for someone so young.

Anyway, they all seem to genuinely love each other and realize the importance of family.

It's especially sweet how they embrace gay Uncle Poodle. That's kind of anti-redneck, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 2802/13/2013

For all their faults, they are not the despicable rich foisted on us by BRAVO, or the worthless party animals of MTV.

by Anonymousreply 102/13/2013

The importance of family = every daughter on the show has a different father, none of which were ever married to "Mom."

by Anonymousreply 202/13/2013

[quote]The importance of family = every daughter on the show has a different father, none of which were ever married to "Mom."

Whatever. I didn't say it was a traditional family or that they weren't trashy. Only that they do seem to genuinely love each other.

That's something, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 302/13/2013

I also watched this for the first time recently. They seem like a great family, definitely love each other and have a great time.

I think one of the reasons this show is so popular is that it's kind of a backlash against all of those Bravo Housewives shows, which are vile.

Must say that although Alana is very cute and funny, it's June that really carries the show.

by Anonymousreply 402/13/2013

[quote] One of the older daughters is particularly witty and funny.

Is that the one who has already reproduced without a husband?

I'm pretty sure all -- or most of -- the different fathers of all these Honey Boo Boo daughters are convicted criminals.

by Anonymousreply 502/13/2013

June often says "we're going to have some fun and make memories." At the end of the day, the family makes due with what little they have (had) and it would seem to be the very definition of family values.

I agree, it's the polar opposite of the Real Housewives or Khardashians where they have everything material but seem miserable.

by Anonymousreply 602/13/2013

If this is true, she's a lot smarter than most who would run out with their first paycheck and buy a BMW

by Anonymousreply 702/13/2013

At least they're not the Kardashians who are soulless plastic vacuums of fame whoredome.

by Anonymousreply 802/13/2013

The Honey Boo Boo people are at least NICE.

The Kardashians treated poor people like trash, as if they don't even exist.

I think the Honey Boo Boo show is very sweet. And their simplicity makes them funny to us. The show in which the mom made "sketti" for dinner had me laughing nonstop.

by Anonymousreply 902/13/2013

[quote]the family makes

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1002/13/2013

R10, that's American usage. This one time you'll just have to deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 1102/13/2013

[quote]The Honey Boo Boo people are at least NICE.

Calling a man Poodle because he's gay is not NICE. They might as well call him Aunt.

by Anonymousreply 1202/13/2013

HBB who calls all gays "poodle" also says in that episode that everyone is a little gay.

by Anonymousreply 1302/13/2013

You mean more than one man had sex with that woman?

I've never watched the show. I've only seen the initial youtube video where the "Honey Boo Boo" phenomenon started, so I know virtually nothing about them.

by Anonymousreply 1402/13/2013

During the episode where Poodle gets the pumpkin stuck on his head, when he first gets to the house, Honey Boo Boo screams excitedly, "Poodle's here!" and then give him the sweetest smile you could imagine. She seems to genuinely adore him.

by Anonymousreply 1502/13/2013

R11 Sorry, I mis-copied. It's MAKE DO, not DUE.

by Anonymousreply 1602/13/2013

I little Honey Boo Boo goes a long way. But, yeah, I would choose this show over other reality shows that feature rich idiot celebrities treating people badly.

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2013

[quote]It's especially sweet how they embrace gay Uncle Poodle. That's kind of anti-redneck, isn't it?

You'd be surprised at how much more accepting they are of gays, especially if one is family, then is commonly though. Rednecks are very family oriented and they will stick up for family. I had a friend who was raised in the backwoods of GA whose male relatives banded around him when he gay-bashed.

by Anonymousreply 1802/13/2013

My father, brothers and nephews are dyed-in-the-wool racist rednecks in rural Arkansas, yet not one of them has any problem with my gayness. Not all rednecks are fundies.

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2013

The name "Uncle Poodle" is not a disparaging term for her Uncle. It's one of those made-up terms that 6-year-olds come up with.

In the last season finale, her coach was talking about her gay friends and Alana coined the term "Poodle" based on her misunderstanding of the word "gay."

by Anonymousreply 2002/13/2013

From some who know the family, they are trashy and annoying BUT they have fun and can be very sweet.

I don't agree with a lot of their attitudes and the lack of manners is horrible but I appreciate their honesty.

by Anonymousreply 2102/13/2013

I bought her anti-bullying fund t-shirt. It is pink and has a poodle on it.

I really like this family.

by Anonymousreply 2202/13/2013

[quote]It's especially sweet how they embrace gay Uncle Poodle.

Umm not really, Mama June doesn't want him on the set now. I guess his coming out as HIV + changed their sweetness.

by Anonymousreply 2302/13/2013

I have never watched Honey Boo Boo, but from the clips I have seen, I prefer that family over those self-centered Kardashians and neurotic Real Housewives cunts.

by Anonymousreply 2402/13/2013

[quote]I have never watched Honey Boo Boo, but from the clips I have seen, I prefer that family over those self-centered Kardashians and neurotic Real Housewives cunts.

I thought it was interesting that Americans spent at least a decade devouring this stuff, but people reacted so strongly to having HBB and her family as reality stars. They'd rather watch a plastic surgery victim whose claim to fame was getting pissed on than poor, unattractive people.

by Anonymousreply 2502/13/2013

r2, you sound worse than a 1950s hausfrau. What an odd thing to be so judgmental about.

I've never seen the show - from the commercials I can't understand a word they are saying. Is it subtitled?

by Anonymousreply 2602/13/2013

[quote]Is it subtitled?

Yes, it is!

by Anonymousreply 2702/13/2013

[quote]Umm not really, Mama June doesn't want him on the set now.

Link please

by Anonymousreply 2802/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.