Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why did Cher's post-Moonstruck film career suck?

Did she just not care after she won the Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 5202/15/2013

She didn't care. She wanted to prove herself as an actress. She turned down millions to sing in Vegas to do an off-broadway play.

After she won the Oscar it was like, I've proven myself as an actress.

Now it was on to the next thing

by Anonymousreply 102/13/2013

Don't forget her INFOMERCIALS!!!

by Anonymousreply 202/13/2013

she stopped looking like a human being

by Anonymousreply 302/13/2013

She's fun in "Suspect" which is a fairly good little film, she's also good in "Witches." And she did a BROADWAY play (not Off-B'way) "Come Back to the 5 & Dime" and was good in it.

by Anonymousreply 402/13/2013

Cher was not in "Witches."

by Anonymousreply 502/13/2013

R5 he means Witches of Eastwick

by Anonymousreply 602/13/2013

Witches of Eastwick, duh.

by Anonymousreply 702/13/2013

R4 meant "The Witches of Eastwick," R5. You knew that.

by Anonymousreply 802/13/2013

Cher is CHER, which is kind of hard to hide behind, particularly as she applied more and more surgical props. I think she liked it that way too.

by Anonymousreply 902/13/2013

Cher's Lori Davis commercials as well as her terrible commercials for an LA fitness club (we KNEW we looked hot) made her a laughingstock.

She has an unfortunate combination of extreme insecurity and bad taste. She'll do things just for money without judging the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 1002/13/2013

She's done everything. Music, movies, tv, Broadway. Seems like from her twitter page, she wants to do music these days.

by Anonymousreply 1102/13/2013

She just needs a Tony Award so she can be EGOT

by Anonymousreply 1202/13/2013

Yeah, but “Suspect” (which she’s amazing in) and “Witches of Eastwick” were released, IIRC, the same year that Cher won for “Moonstruck”. They’re not examples of her post-Moonstruck output.

She’s wonderful in “Tea With Mussolini” and “Mermaids”. And, although it was before she won, she should’ve been nominated for her performance in “Mask”.

by Anonymousreply 1302/13/2013

Funnily enough, Cher was offered the role that Anjelica Huston played to perfection in Roald Dahl's "The Witches". IMO Anjelica should have won an Oscar for that.

Cher did have at least one more stellar film role - the great libertine Rachel Flax in "Mermaids"

by Anonymousreply 1402/13/2013

"Charlotte, we're Jewish." "Mermaids" is fun, too. Forgot about that.

by Anonymousreply 1502/13/2013

Cher and Meryl Streep had a falling out. Not sure what that is about.

by Anonymousreply 1602/13/2013

I don't know why Cher doesn't have a sense of humor about the "Silkwood" trailer incident. I thought it was hilarious:

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2013

She went into her rock star phase after winning the Oscar, straddling the cannon on the ship nearly nude with young Elijah nearby. Then the Equal and LA Fitness commercials, the episode of Epstein Barr Virus, Mermaids didn't do well critically or at the box office, the infomercial, the plastic surgery... Victim of bad management, probably her own. She's direct and tough and that intimidates people.

by Anonymousreply 1802/13/2013

Cher and Meryl Streep had a falling out. Not sure what that is about.

That will be news to them.

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2013

She did an amazing cover and music video of 80s classic "You Spin Me Round" in the mid 90s - it was actually better than the original - I don't think Cher was ever more beautiful than here:

by Anonymousreply 2002/13/2013

Horrific talent free drag queen alert at R20.

by Anonymousreply 2102/13/2013

Bitch, Mermaids is a classic!

by Anonymousreply 2202/13/2013

I've also always wondered why her film career sucked after the 80's. She blames the informercial and getting older, but I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 2302/13/2013

Cher is such a powerful presence in this scene. She is absolutely mesmerizing. How can one person be so charismatic and so convincingly attune with her own sense of self? I mean it's not easy to just let it all out but Cher just lays it on the table. I am astounded by her in this scene. Her physicality is startling, breathtaking, jarring, searing. It's a testament to Winona Ryder that she holds her own as the meeker of the two. I am in awe:

by Anonymousreply 2402/13/2013

I liked her in Tea With Mussolini.

by Anonymousreply 2502/13/2013

In every movie she's in it always seems like she is playing herself. A very limited actress with no range.

by Anonymousreply 2602/13/2013

There's nothing wrong with playing yourself!

by Anonymousreply 2702/13/2013

Playing oneself can lead to a long career.

by Anonymousreply 2802/13/2013

Was Mermaids the first singing-with-the-hairbrush movie?

by Anonymousreply 2902/13/2013

Infomercial, Lyme Disease, bad choices, plastic surgery...

Truth is she's a likable but limited actress. She has had her moment in the thespian sun.

That silly pop song "Believe" led to an unexpected career resurgence and a resulting very lucrative tour.

by Anonymousreply 3002/13/2013

[quote]Infomercial, Lyme Disease, bad choices, plastic surgery...

It wasn't Lyme Disease, it was Epstein-Barr.

by Anonymousreply 3102/13/2013

Don't forget that there weren't a ton of great roles for middle aged women in movies anyway.,

by Anonymousreply 3202/13/2013

According to Cher the Epstein Barr disease struck right after Mermaids and she couldn't leave the house for almost 2 years.

She went from doctor to doctor and didn't get better until she sought help from a doctor who used Eastern medicine mixed with Western medicine.

By the time she had improved the movie business had moved along to someone new.

by Anonymousreply 3302/13/2013

Oh yeah, there were many great parts for middle-aged women, R32.

by Anonymousreply 3402/13/2013

Because she's a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3502/13/2013

[quote] Don't forget that there weren't a ton of great roles for middle aged women in movies anyway.,

Tell that to Susan Sarandon

by Anonymousreply 3602/13/2013

Cher got sick after 'Moonstruck' with Barr-Epstein's disease. So for a while until she got better, she chose work that she could do without exerting too much effort. Unfortunately, that "work" included an infomercial for a friend. It sort of backfired, which goes to prove how important a manager is to your high-profile career.

Her presense and personality are so overwhelming, and therefore image-wise, her choice of work became highly scrutinized. Even the most successful people in show business need to choose wisely because life, show business and public appeal can change in an instant. One minute you're hot, then next minute someone else has gotten your spotlight.

Cher finally got her career back on track with music--the thing that made her famous in the first place. However, she lost some momentum in the acting field because time had passed, she was a bit older, and she wasn't the hot commodity in acting that she once was. Although 'Tea with Mussolini' was fabulous. It wasn't a gangbuster movie, but it was very good--and Cher was terrific as usual.

And then Cher's dance music and 'Farewell' tour were enormous successes--and she was hot again. But not in the movies. It's a tough business. But I loved 'Burlesque.' And Cher is still queen of the universe.

by Anonymousreply 3702/13/2013

What roles could she really do? To say she hasn't aged naturally is putting it mildly.

She was great and Moonstruck and brilliant in Mask, but I can't imagine her playing the roles Susan Sarandon or Meryl have since then.

I guess she would have been a great Louise if she hadn't gotten so much surgery.

by Anonymousreply 3802/13/2013

Someone linked something here the other day about how stupid she is. She didn't know about FIRST PERSON NARRATIVE to producers. She's really lacking in brain cells.

by Anonymousreply 3902/13/2013

R39

I follow her on Twitter and she doesn't come off as stupid. She is weak in regards to tech stuff but she seems very smart about politics and world affairs.

She's no rocket scientist but she seems like a fun and caring woman.

by Anonymousreply 4002/13/2013

Has Cher ever worked with Dolly Parton? I'd love to see the two of them together.

by Anonymousreply 4102/13/2013

r39, she admits she had a learning disability/dyselxia; & is probably not a big reader. Doesn't make her stupid.

by Anonymousreply 4202/13/2013

Because the film gods realized that she didn't really deserve her Oscar, so they decided to punish her by sabotaging her career.

by Anonymousreply 4302/13/2013

If I wanna put my ASSH on my FACHE, that'sh my business!

by Anonymousreply 4402/13/2013

Cher and Dolly

Cher.... Special 1978

by Anonymousreply 4502/13/2013

Instead of trying to play some hot woman like she usually tries to play, why not try something she's never done before like playing a grandmother?

by Anonymousreply 4602/13/2013

Her problem is lack of education. It gets her every time in all aspects of life. She must feel so inferior around educated people. She knows she's an uneducated loser compared to people like Meryl Streep who is Ivy League.

by Anonymousreply 4702/13/2013

She cares more about the money. Even in her film career prime she'd bitch that she could make more playing Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 4802/13/2013

She had a movie lined up called The Dropout, where she was to play a grandmother type. I was in pre production then vanished off of imdb.

She was smart enough to turn down he Jane Lynch roll in The Three Stooges.

by Anonymousreply 4902/13/2013

I love Cher.

Some people are book smart; some are street smart; some are just naturally smart even if they lack the education. Cher is street smart and natually smart. That doesn't mean that she never makes mistakes or doesn't screw up once in a while. We all do. But where Cher lacks the intellect, she makes up in toughness and talent. We all get by using our strengths and trying to minimize our weaknesses.

Cher is one tough, determined and smart cookie...who now and then makes a mistake and moves on.

by Anonymousreply 5002/14/2013

[quote]She was smart enough to turn down he Jane Lynch roll in The Three Stooges.

But yet she took that role in Stuck on You where she is in bed with Frankie Muniz.

by Anonymousreply 5102/14/2013

I hate the Farelli bros., their movies and sense of humour really suck. She'll survive, I just wish she'd switch up her stage show, add some older hits she hasn't done on stage, more obscure album cuts, and some standards from her "Bittersweet White Light" album.

by Anonymousreply 5202/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.