Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tibetan Mastiff Dogs (Lion Dogs)

Does anyone have one? Or know someone who does?

Can you take them on a walk without neighbors thinking you're walking a lion, or some idiot neighbor thinking there's a bear running around on your property?

How hard is it to train them? I think it would have to start very early because by the time they were a year old they'd be too big to discipline without loosing an arm, so getting a rescue dog is probably out, right?

My boyfriend has wanted one of these dogs for a long time but because we'd lived in a condo it just wasn't possible. We're about to move into a house outside of the city on several acres of land and after watching the Westminster dog show last night, I am thinking it might be the right time to revisit the idea of getting a Tibetan Mastiff puppy. I didn't grow up with dogs so I'm not 100% sure about this, especially a dog this size. Friends with big dogs say that if you have a big dog from puppyhood they aren't so intimidating.

I don't know much about the breed, or how to train one, but my boyfriend's family has always had these dogs. He works from home so the puppy/dog wouldn't just be left alone all day to run wild on the property and then be disciplined at night. When we've visited his family I've had good impressions of the dogs, but again the size of these things is intimidating.

I've read a lot about them on websites, as well as a couple of books on the breed, and exchanges emails with people from the sites which have been very positive. I'd love to hear from anyone here who has personal experience with these giant dogs.

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 102/13/2013

Be ready to pull shit out of their asshair every time you come back from a walk.

by Anonymousreply 202/13/2013

I don't give a fuck. I WANT ONE.

by Anonymousreply 302/13/2013

Oh for god's sake, just get a fucking mutt.

by Anonymousreply 402/13/2013

I pray that no idiot who lives in an area known for hot, humid weather owns one of these dogs.

Growing up, there was a St. Bernard across the street who was the most miserable dog in the world.

It was pitiful.

by Anonymousreply 502/13/2013

That is one butt-ugly dog. And with all that hair, probably one high-maintenance animal. I wouldn't want one.

by Anonymousreply 602/13/2013

A dog groomer would charge 50 bucks to even look at that dog.

by Anonymousreply 702/13/2013

The one on the dog show last night looked like it was wearing a wig. Loved it!

by Anonymousreply 802/13/2013

I know someone who has two, and I would not recommend them for someone who hasn't had a dog before.

They're bred as guard dogs, and they are very serious about guarding their territory. They're also very independent and strong-willed, and very large. It is a dog you HAVE to train VERY well, if you let it run wild it will develop behavioral problems and there's a chance it will get itself (and you) into trouble. Do not get a Tibetan Mastiff unless you are planning to do some serious obedience training, and to keep it up for the dog's lifetime!

by Anonymousreply 902/13/2013

If your bf is experienced with this breed, as you say, go for it.

Check out the rescues first--all of mine have been mellow, trained, etc.

I'll never get another puppy.

by Anonymousreply 1002/13/2013

Well, I've got about a million bucks in change that I've dug out of the couch, but I'll take what you said into consideration.

Truth is, if I were to get a dog, it could only be from a pound or rescue.

by Anonymousreply 1102/13/2013

I just a met a Tibetan Mastiff -- not one of those freaky show dogs, a real pooch -- and it was beautiful and very sweet. It had long soft fur, but nothing remotely like the dog in that picture.

That said -- get a mutt. And if you do get a pedigreed dog, be very cautious about where you adopt from. As was shown in a NY Times article this week, the AKC is turning into a lobby for puppy mills, and "AKC approved" breeders are likely to be horrible.

by Anonymousreply 1202/13/2013

We breed them. They're wonderful - loyal, beautiful, not smart but easygoing IF trained properly. They think they're lap dogs. As someone said, they can be unpredictable and odd with strangers if you don't socialize and discipline early. And they will kill other animals and go after children. Also they can jump through windows and break down doors to get at people passing your house. They even will jump through windshields and car windows to attempt to rip the throats out of drivers if they don't like the persons' looks. One woman I know came home to find the couch missing. And their shit eats through wood, tile and stone, so outdoor potty training is a must, using asbestos and glass mulch in a specially prepared area far from water lines and sewer and septic systems. And you can't trust them unless their psychological training and canine lobotomization is done correctly because they'll wait until you're asleep and try to kill you. Also, their hair is gorgeous but like fiber glass and cuts into you if you touch it. So petting requires gloves.

But, really, they're perfect family dogs for families. And very much in demand. We sell a lot of them to Iranian and North Korean types.

Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1302/13/2013

Your post made me laugh so hard R13.

by Anonymousreply 1402/13/2013

I own one and absolutely adore it! Sweet, affectionate, and overwhelmingly loyal. That said, he did bite me on the crutch when I attempted to subdue him attacking a visitor. However, having to urinate via a catheter and funnel is a minor inconvenience compared to the feelings of control and authority he provides me with. Go for it OP!

by Anonymousreply 1502/13/2013

I have one OP but he is a bit of mess pretty much year 'round here in Orlando.

My guy loves cool weather but we don't get much of that here.

To cool off he has excessive constant salivation that results in long strings of it coming off his jowls.

Plus he has bad breath so that spit of his stinks too.

However he is very affectionate and has not bitten anyone.

by Anonymousreply 1602/13/2013

Looks like a hairier Chow.

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2013

r13, that was amazing. W&W

They are the ultimate status dogs because the majority of owners don't do any of their daily care. They hire people to housebreak them, take them to obedience classes, take them to groomers, etc.

This leads to problems because as r9 said, they are guard dogs, and 1% owners don't know how to handle them once they're in the home.

by Anonymousreply 1802/13/2013

R9 here. The thing about TMs is that you have to train them, and every adult human in the house needs to get with the training program. Like all dogs they are pack animals, and see their humans as pack members. They need to know that every human in the household outranks them in the pack, or there will be behavioral problems with the human they have decided is subordinate.

So, OP, your partner may have experience with them, but you've never had a dog. You will not be able to leave all the obedience training and dog discpline to your partner, think about that before you get a pup.

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!