Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is your favorite Meryl accent?

As requested by The Streep Troll (tm). This is a most necessary thread. *Kisses*

by Anonymousreply 8502/24/2013

ENOUGH, ElderTroll.

by Anonymousreply 102/13/2013

She is actually only one of the very rare US or UK actors that have successful taken off the Irish accent. Mostly they come off as a really bad Scottish accent, like on Family Guy or 99% of every other actors attempt at it.

Oddly enough one of the best is Kate Hudson's South Dublin accent, it was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 202/13/2013

Thank you, benevolent benefactor / OP-by-proxy!

*Kisses* indeed!

Now we have the perfect trifecta of Meryl threads.

by Anonymousreply 302/13/2013

The gasping sound she makes just as rigor mortis sets in.

by Anonymousreply 402/13/2013

And even though 'Sophie', 'Africa', 'Cry in the Dark' and 'Lughnasa' are her greatest triumphs in the technical dept, I voted for 'A Prairie Home Companion'.

I find her Midwestern accent really pleasant to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 502/13/2013

My favorite is the rarely seen audition film for The Miracle Worker. I believe Bancroft wanted Streep but Penn wanted Duke.

Such is H'wood.

by Anonymousreply 602/13/2013

Her work in Sophie's Choice is remarkable not only because of accents but because she learned to speak both languages perfectly.

Tilda Swinton did similarly great technical work in "I Am Love", speaking perfect Russian and Russian-accented Italian.

by Anonymousreply 702/13/2013

True, r7.

Streep spoke German with a Polish accent.

Her work in that film really is a triumph, no matter from what angle you choose to look at it.

by Anonymousreply 802/13/2013

Come on...what could compare with, "A dingo ate my baby"?

by Anonymousreply 902/13/2013

"Sophie" and "Cry in the Dark" are leading.

But we need more votes, DL!

by Anonymousreply 1002/13/2013

Dingo ate my baby!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1102/13/2013

I loved it when she spoke with cold diarrhea in her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 1202/13/2013

Her accent in Silkwood was good work as well. Many many actors get Southern completely wrong (giving you the side-eye, Sarandon).

by Anonymousreply 1302/13/2013

R2, do you have an opinion on Cate Blanchett's Irish accent in "Veronica Guerin"? I live in Ireland but wasn't born here, so I'm not really certain, but it sounded pretty good to me.

by Anonymousreply 1402/13/2013

Cate Blanchett was very good, as was Joan Allen's accent both playing Veronica Guerin. Jon Voight in 'The General' was great.

by Anonymousreply 1502/13/2013

Didn't a lot of Aussies think that her Aussie/Kiwi mix for Lindy Chamberlain was atrocious? Personally I think Meryl can't do a proper English accent at all and was awful in both Plenty and Iron Lady.

by Anonymousreply 1602/13/2013

Her accents sound like she opens a can labeled "Polish" or "Irish" or whatever. Really, all her accents sound so "canned" and airless.

Does she still work with voice coaches?

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2013

Her accent in "Iron Lady" was an attempt (a good-ish attempt) at recreating Maggie Thatcher's tortured accent. Not meant to be a typical English accent.

by Anonymousreply 1802/13/2013

Her "Sophie" accent is a little camp to me. I love "A Cry" and the way she says certain words in "Prada" - Demarchalier and Andrea.

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2013

We're taaaawwwking abouut my baaabeee daughter..... NAUGHT SUM OBJECHT!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2002/13/2013

I vote for Polish, because it was one of the worst attempts for Polish accent I've ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 2102/13/2013

Her Aussie accent was laughable.

by Anonymousreply 2202/13/2013

I could be wrong but wasn't Lindy Chamberlain a mix of N.Z. & Aussie? Hence Meryl's accent.

by Anonymousreply 2302/13/2013

It wasn't an Aussie accent, r22.

She was speaking as a woman from New Zealand, who'd lived in Australia for many years. Meryl studied Chamberlain's voice very closely (via the tapes from the court proceedings), and fashioned a personal, individual accent for the role.

It's a triumph in acting.

And her Polish, Danish, Irish and British RP accents are masterful and authentic as well.

Anyone who says otherwise is trying to be a contrarian just for the sake of it, but failing at it.

by Anonymousreply 2402/13/2013

Was the recent Aussie mini series about Lindy Chamberlain any good? Chamberlain said something like "She became me, Meryl acted me" yet was all over Streep back in the 80s.

The dingo ate my baby above all films shows her supreme mastery of accents and dialects but I also loved Julia Childs, that voice was worth the nomination alone and Maggie Thatcher, two of the most difficult ones later on. She's really the only person that could do it, why she's still in demand.

by Anonymousreply 2502/13/2013

Agreed, r25.

As for Lindy Chamberlain: she was at war with the world back then. You need to see her comments through that prism, really.

Obviously now, years later, she is thankful that Meryl portrayed her - with such authenticity, honesty and verve.

She's been vindicated, and that film played no small role in keeping her story - and struggle - alive.

by Anonymousreply 2602/13/2013

Wonder how come she has never done a Canadian accent?

by Anonymousreply 2702/13/2013

She was great as Francesca in Bridges of Madison County, very believable accent.

by Anonymousreply 2802/13/2013

That crazy-ass New England accent Julia Child had.

by Anonymousreply 2902/13/2013

Elaine Benes imitates Meryl:

by Anonymousreply 3002/13/2013

Yes The Streep Troll, because obviously you are so fluent in Polish or Danish to judge.

by Anonymousreply 3102/13/2013

r31, I'm fluent in one Scandinavian language, if that helps.

And the Polish accent is widely spoken here in Europe.

So... I feel I am well-placed to pass judgment on the quality of those two accents, along with Irish and British RP, also widely spoken in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 3202/13/2013

Her rabbi in Angels of America with Lenny Kravitz

by Anonymousreply 3302/13/2013

Swiss turds are the best. It's almost 5 in the morning in Switzerland and have been eating shit and posting on DL for almost 24 hours straight. BTW I haven't seen Amour!

by Anonymousreply 3402/13/2013

I'm an Aussie and the first time i heard Streep's accent in a promo for Evil Angels, I couldn't believe how bad it was. I thought it was laughable. And then i heard Lindy Chamberlain speak. Streep was absolutely spot on. It is NOT a typical Queensland accent. It is a strange combination of Kiwi and Queensland Australian but she sounded exactly the same as Chamberlain.

by Anonymousreply 3502/14/2013

Oh please streep troll. I am an aussie and her accent was laughable. Unless you are australian you cant comprend how bad her accent was. Dont pretend to be an expert when you are clearly not.

by Anonymousreply 3602/14/2013

Do other boards have Streep loons too?

by Anonymousreply 3702/14/2013

Her British accents are terrible.

by Anonymousreply 3802/14/2013

Roseanne's hairy mole together with Streep's whiney affectation in She Devil made that movie watchable.

by Anonymousreply 3902/14/2013

R36. I am an Aussie too, and understood the posts disvussing the Lindy Chamberlain N.Z. Combo Queensland accent that Streep matched well. She wasn't doing a man-in-the-street aussie acent like yours or mine, she was mimicing a specific person, and doing it reasonably well.

by Anonymousreply 4002/14/2013

Oops, I meant " discussing" and "accent".

by Anonymousreply 4102/14/2013

I'm Polish and I can tell you that her Polish accent was horrible. It wasn't just bad, it was awful.

by Anonymousreply 4202/14/2013

I'm Dutch, and would love to see her try a Dutch accent. I wonder if she'd nail it.

by Anonymousreply 4302/14/2013

r42, my Polish friends say her accent was spot on.

I speak German, and I can attest her German-with-a-Polish-accent was ucannily good, and authentic.

by Anonymousreply 4402/14/2013

The Polish accent was over the top. I wonder if it's more difficult to do a lighter accent (say, the accent of a French or Italian person who has lived in an English-speaking country for 20 years) than it is to do a strong accent. Streep's attempts lack subtlety, so the accents become distracting.

by Anonymousreply 4502/14/2013

Her accents are subtle, beautiful work; well-studied and full of insight. And they always serve the performance, not the other way around.

If anything, her nuanced work shows up co-stars like Redford, who cannot even begin to fathom what Streep is doing, accent-wise and acting-wise.

And r45, in 'A Cry in the Dark' she did exactly what you suggest: she played a NZ woman who'd lived in Australia for years, speaking Australian with a light Kiwi accent.

She really can do it all.

by Anonymousreply 4602/14/2013

Streep Troll, how long have you been a fan?

by Anonymousreply 4702/14/2013

[quote]I speak German, and I can attest her German-with-a-Polish-accent was ucannily good, and authentic.

The only false note I've ever detected was in the scene when she tries to steal the radio, gets caught and insists she "only wanted to see how it works." The way she says "Ich wollte nur..." with the abrupt break isn't natural.

But other than that, flawless.

by Anonymousreply 4802/14/2013

Agreed, r48. Everyone is allowed one false note.

The rest of her vocal work in 'Sophie's Choice' is so focused and authentic, you're left speechless. Especially, as mentioned above, the part where she speaks German.

r47: I've been a fan since my late teens. I'm in my 30s.

by Anonymousreply 4902/14/2013

[quote]The way she says "Ich wollte nur..." with the abrupt break isn't natural.

"That's a broken speech, Carol Ann. You've got to come in right awawy!"

by Anonymousreply 5002/14/2013

Meryl's Irish accent was cute, but mine got me an Academy Award nomination. But Meryl shouldn't feel bad about it, It is so hard, it takes an actress of enormous ability to pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 5102/14/2013

Like most people who attempt accents other than their own, Streep overdoes it-especially her Australian/New Zealand accent. Streep Troll is blinded by her crazed devotion to see the truth. As a local, you pick up the nuances. I know how the australian accent differs from state to state and i know the new zealand accent as well. Streep combined and played them like she was in a cheap kiddies pantomine or something. This ludicrous, over exaggerated strine. Everyone is Australia laughed at her attempt. It's only the deranged Meryl fans that are defending her.

by Anonymousreply 5202/14/2013

R52, it's really not important to me, but is it possible she was doing a good Lindy Chamberlain impression, regardless of your understanding of Oz/NZ accents? I am an aussie, like you, not a mad Meryl fan, but I thought she did well as this specific person.

by Anonymousreply 5302/14/2013

Well, r35 is an Aussie, not a hardcore Meryl fan - and he contradicts what you've said, r52.

You don't seem to understand she wasn't going for an Aussie accent as spoken in the street. Meryl was mimicing the speech patterns of one particular person, Lindy Chamberlain.

And she did a spectacular job of it.

What is so hard to comprehend about that?

In any case, sweethearts: 'A Cry in the Dark' is LEADING our little poll, and by a wide margin too! Seems plenty of people appreciate the fine work Meryl did with that performance.

*Kisses* to all who took part in this most revealing of polls!

by Anonymousreply 5402/14/2013

Haha, so we have two Aussies already confirming Meryl's authentic accent as Lindy Chamberlain.

The Meryl detractors are crushed every single time. Quelle surprise.

by Anonymousreply 5502/14/2013

What's unfortunate is that although I've enjoyed Streep in some of her roles, after a steady diet of this crap on DL I doubt I ever go to another Steep movie.

Way to ruin an actress for the rest of us, troll.

by Anonymousreply 5602/14/2013

Babe, this very thread is headlined with: "REQUESTED BY THE THE STREEP TROLL (tm)".

If you are too dumb to read, it's not my problem you're entering a thread that is going to be trollish to the max.

I'm kind of happy I put you off from seeing more Meryl films. She deserves a better audience than people like you.

Buh-bye, fuckcake!

by Anonymousreply 5702/14/2013

[quote]I doubt I ever go to another Steep movie.

Good. Now we won't have to share her brilliance with the likes of you.

by Anonymousreply 5802/14/2013

*Kisses*, r58 !!

by Anonymousreply 5902/14/2013

The Streep Troll probably has good manners in real life. On this board he/she sounds courteous even when he/she is insulting people.

by Anonymousreply 6002/15/2013

The Streep Turd reminds me of vomit.

by Anonymousreply 6102/15/2013

The one with the lisp when she tries to talk while blowing Charlie White.

by Anonymousreply 6202/15/2013

The thought of Meryl and fellatio makes me ill. That's why I hated Hope Springs. Well, one of the reasons.

by Anonymousreply 6302/15/2013

She gave me a private sample of the fantastic California rich-bitch accent she has at her disposal the time I was hiding inside the outhouse under the seat in the shit shaft with my mouth open when she and the hubby were camping in Big Sur.

Her sublimely metallic yet lilting "Holy fuck!" when she stood to pull her panties up and spotted me down there swallowing with a sepia grin is one of my absolutely favorite memories.

by Anonymousreply 6402/15/2013

The Streep Troll (tm)'s writing on this thread has restored my faith in The DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 6502/15/2013

Oh Please. Her bastardised attempt at an Australian/New Zealand accent was so highly thought of that she almost always makes Top 10 lists of worst attempted movie accents. In OZ, they couldn't stop laughing at her.

by Anonymousreply 6602/15/2013

Who gives a flying fuck about the opinions of a few million inbred spawn of convicted convicts?

by Anonymousreply 6702/15/2013

Why, R65?

by Anonymousreply 6802/15/2013

Where's R66? How weird. It's not there. What was there?

by Anonymousreply 6902/15/2013

Her Julia was way better than Dan Aykroyd's.

by Anonymousreply 7002/15/2013

What you come to realise is Meryl's schtick is to put on an funny voice for every performance(always innacurate) and hope the audience don't discover there's really nothing much beyond that.

by Anonymousreply 7102/15/2013

r60: you are incisive. And correct.

r65: Thank you.

r66: please confer the various Aussies on this thread lauding her accent.

r68: you really need to ask?

by Anonymousreply 7202/16/2013

[quote]And her Polish, Danish, Irish and British RP accents are masterful and authentic as well.

Please. Meryl Streep's English accent was far from authentic and not even close to being masterful. Not in "Plenty" and most certainly not in the Maggie Thatcher biopic. Streep sounded exactly like what she is - an American trying very hard to speak with an English accent. And not being very successful.

The only people who think that Streep has mastered British RP speech are Americans.

by Anonymousreply 7302/16/2013

r73, the only people criticizing her accents are bitter wannabe contrarians, angry a woman can be this talented, and furious she is recognized for her talent - the world over.

Meryl sounded like an English upper-middle class woman, both in Plenty and French Lft. Any 'studied element' that comes along with carefully crafted work was integrated into the performance, and made it stronger, not weaker.

And she absolutely nailed Maggie Thatcher's English, who is a caricature in real life, in case you didn't know that. You think she should have played her with a 'neutral accent'? Then your standards are very low and pedestrian.

Thatcher spoke like this, and Meryl did a splendid job of re-creating her speech patterns.

She richly deserved her third Oscar for a very difficult job well done.

by Anonymousreply 7402/16/2013

[quote]the only people criticizing her accents are bitter wannabe contrarians,

Or people who actually speak the language with the accent being parodied on screen by Streep. Unless you are English, you are not an authority on the accent, Streep troll. So get off your high horse.

Meryl may have done good impersonations of other accents (I don't know), but her English accents have been unconvincing and even laughably bad at times. She did not sound like an upper middle-class Englishwoman in Plenty. She sounded like an American drama school graduate trying to talk like how she thinks Englishwomen of that social class do. Meryl was only slightly better than Gwyneth Paltrow but not by much.

by Anonymousreply 7502/16/2013

I disagree, r75.

by Anonymousreply 7602/16/2013

How does Zellweger rank, R75?

by Anonymousreply 7702/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 7802/16/2013

R77, I thought Zellweger was pretty good in that she actually sounded like a lot of young English women who live in London, but she got the character's social class all wrong. RZ made Bridget Jones sound much too posh.

I imagined Bridget with a slightly less refined Estuary accent, but even so, Zellweger was still better than most American actors have been. Gwyneth Paltrow's English accents aren't as good as American reviewers seem to think they are and Reese Witherspoon was just bloody awful in "The Importance of Being Earnest".

The worst English accent of all, in my opinion, was from an English actress, of all people. Jane Leeves as Daphne in "Frasier" was a laughably bad Mancunian accent and the actors playing her mother and brothers were all over the place. They should have just made Daphne a character from the South of England and let Jane keep her natural accent instead of murdering Mancunian.

by Anonymousreply 7902/16/2013

Consensus seems to be Mery'l's attempt at accents are pretty poor by those that speak the language, live in the culture and should really know. Her champions seem to be yanky doodle dandy sycophants like Streep troll who seem to live vicariously through her many badly accented roles.

by Anonymousreply 8002/16/2013

Again, r80, check out the Aussies on this thread confirming she captured Lindy Chamberlain's personal accent.

Why doesn't is surprise me your fevered rant has got no time for them?

You are Exhibit A of the type of person loathing a talented woman for applying her talent, and being respected for it. Don't be frightened of Meryl, r80!

And "Mery'l's"?

Oh, dear.

Fevered rant indeed.

by Anonymousreply 8102/16/2013

I imagine Streep Troll has all these creepy Meryl posters adorning every nook & cranny of her basement. I'm sure she even voices the message bank recording. Not that I imagine it gets many calls except the social worker.

by Anonymousreply 8202/16/2013

You're mistaken, r82.

by Anonymousreply 8302/16/2013

Meryl Oscar day, everybody!

by Anonymousreply 8402/24/2013

Yeah, it's OSCAR day, Streep Turd, not MERYL day. She had her turn last year. It's everybody else's turn to be in the spotlight this year.

Now, go eat a plate of Meryl's latest and fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 8502/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!